VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]


USPFC's Review: Infinity
USPFC's On-Line Review: Journey's "Infinity"
Journey "Infinity": Lyrics and Information
Journey "Infinity": Tour Dates
Journey "Infinity": Tour Program Excerpt
Return to USPFC Home Page

Subject: "Infinity" Album Review


Author:
Mike Heraty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:55:22 07/02/02 Tue

Steve Perry's first album (Journey's fourth) and Journey's first successful album, "Infinity," is quite a great start for Perry considering he initially gave up on the idea of being a rock star.

Track one, "Lights," is one of the groups best (and probably Perry's best on this album), not only because of Neal Schon's wailing guitar solo but because of Steve Perry's "trademark" 'whoa oo whoa ohh ohh ohh!' in between verses, and the best part of the song is the bridge. "It's saaad ooohh! There's been mornings...out on the road without you...without your chaahhaahhrms!" The only thing I didn't like was Gregg Rolie's piano work in the four-bar piano/guitar intro. It's a great tune otherwise.

Track two, "Feeling That Way," is great in every way except one. I don't think that Gregg Rolie is that great a piano player, so I don't care for the two-bar piano intro. or the first verse of the song (which Gregg Rolie sings). I like Perry's bridge on the song, Neal has a "killer" guitar solo after the second bridge, and I really like Steve Perry's "whoa oo whoa oo whoas" in the first 3 of the last 4 bars of the tune.

Track three, "Anytime," is OK. The only things I like about this tune are the vocal harmony in the first eighty bars of the tune. Rolie's vocal is OK in the first verse, and I like the harmony in the chorus, but the one part of the song that's the best is the bridge (Perry sings) before Neal Schon's 8-bar guitar solo.

Track four, "La Do Da," the 10-bar guitar vamp is OK, and the 8-bar guitar solo is good, but the vocal on the chorus, in between verses one and two is great, and Neal Schon's guitar solo makes "La Do Da" seem unfinished.

Track five, "Patiently," the first Perry/Schon collaboration, has a nice 8-bar acoustic guitar intro. with a great electric guitar interlude to the bridge before Neal Schon's 12-bar guitar solo.

Track six, “Wheel In The Sky,” is a great song. It’s probably their biggest hit from this album. It has great vocals from Steve Perry, and it has awesome guitar from Neal Schon. I really like his solo, and I like Perry’s high-pitched squeal during Schon’s solo. I also liked the vocal harmony.

On Track seven, “Somethin’ To Hide,” the four-bar piano intro is weak, Perry’s vocal is top-notch, Neal Schon’s guitar solo is OK, and what I like best about this song is the vocal harmony line after Neal’s solo. I also liked the end of the tune when Perry sings, “Aaahhh! Ooouuu!”

Track eight, “Winds Of March,” is a nice ballad; although, I liked “Patiently” better. The 24-bar piano intro was good, and Perry’s vocal is beautiful as usual. Perry has the best voice for a ballad anyway. Neal Schon’s guitar solo is good, and I like Gregg Rolie’s organ work on this tune.

Track nine, “Can Do,” is cool. I really like the four-bar guitar intro from Neal Schon and the vocal harmony on the chorus in between the first and second verses. Neal Schon’s solo is great too. Aside from “Lights,” “Feeling That Way,” and “Wheel In The Sky,” “Can Do” is another favorite. I especially like the vocal harmony on the ending with the guitar and drums.

And last, but certainly not least, track ten, “Opened The Door,” is an OK ballad. Perry’s vocals are good, but other than that, it’s one of the least liked ballads. Neal’s guitar riff is cool, and that ends the album.

Overall, it’s a good album. It isn’t a bad start for the King of Soul, but as Steve Perry proved to the world, the music only gets better from here especially with Jonathan Cain joining the lineup two and a half years later.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: "Infinity" Album Review


Author:
Joscelyn (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:19 09/16/16 Fri

Wonderfully through review. Have to hear this album to comment, but your review feels well-thought out. However, I must disagree and say that Rolie is an incredible piano-player, and that comes across clearly when they played live. But good work.

Steve Perry's first album (Journey's fourth) and
>Journey's first successful album, "Infinity," is quite
>a great start for Perry considering he initially gave
>up on the idea of being a rock star.
>
> Track one, "Lights," is one of the groups best
>(and probably Perry's best on this album), not only
>because of Neal Schon's wailing guitar solo but
>because of Steve Perry's "trademark" 'whoa oo whoa ohh
>ohh ohh!' in between verses, and the best part of the
>song is the bridge. "It's saaad ooohh! There's been
>mornings...out on the road without you...without your
>chaahhaahhrms!" The only thing I didn't like was Gregg
>Rolie's piano work in the four-bar piano/guitar intro.
>It's a great tune otherwise.
>
> Track two, "Feeling That Way," is great in every
>way except one. I don't think that Gregg Rolie is that
>great a piano player, so I don't care for the two-bar
>piano intro. or the first verse of the song (which
>Gregg Rolie sings). I like Perry's bridge on the song,
>Neal has a "killer" guitar solo after the second
>bridge, and I really like Steve Perry's "whoa oo whoa
>oo whoas" in the first 3 of the last 4 bars of the
>tune.
>
> Track three, "Anytime," is OK. The only things I
>like about this tune are the vocal harmony in the
>first eighty bars of the tune. Rolie's vocal is OK in
>the first verse, and I like the harmony in the chorus,
>but the one part of the song that's the best is the
>bridge (Perry sings) before Neal Schon's 8-bar guitar
>solo.
>
> Track four, "La Do Da," the 10-bar guitar vamp is
>OK, and the 8-bar guitar solo is good, but the vocal
>on the chorus, in between verses one and two is great,
>and Neal Schon's guitar solo makes "La Do Da" seem
>unfinished.
>
> Track five, "Patiently," the first Perry/Schon
>collaboration, has a nice 8-bar acoustic guitar intro.
>with a great electric guitar interlude to the bridge
>before Neal Schon's 12-bar guitar solo.
>
> Track six, “Wheel In The Sky,” is a great song.
>It’s probably their biggest hit from this album. It
>has great vocals from Steve Perry, and it has awesome
>guitar from Neal Schon. I really like his solo, and I
>like Perry’s high-pitched squeal during Schon’s solo.
>I also liked the vocal harmony.
>
> On Track seven, “Somethin’ To Hide,” the four-bar
>piano intro is weak, Perry’s vocal is top-notch, Neal
>Schon’s guitar solo is OK, and what I like best about
>this song is the vocal harmony line after Neal’s solo.
>I also liked the end of the tune when Perry sings,
>“Aaahhh! Ooouuu!”
>
> Track eight, “Winds Of March,” is a nice ballad;
>although, I liked “Patiently” better. The 24-bar piano
>intro was good, and Perry’s vocal is beautiful as
>usual. Perry has the best voice for a ballad anyway.
>Neal Schon’s guitar solo is good, and I like Gregg
>Rolie’s organ work on this tune.
>
> Track nine, “Can Do,” is cool. I really like the
>four-bar guitar intro from Neal Schon and the vocal
>harmony on the chorus in between the first and second
>verses. Neal Schon’s solo is great too. Aside from
>“Lights,” “Feeling That Way,” and “Wheel In The Sky,”
>“Can Do” is another favorite. I especially like the
>vocal harmony on the ending with the guitar and drums.
>
> And last, but certainly not least, track ten,
>“Opened The Door,” is an OK ballad. Perry’s vocals are
>good, but other than that, it’s one of the least liked
>ballads. Neal’s guitar riff is cool, and that ends the
>album.
>
> Overall, it’s a good album. It isn’t a bad start
>for the King of Soul, but as Steve Perry proved to the
>world, the music only gets better from here especially
>with Jonathan Cain joining the lineup two and a half
>years later.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity


Author:
Jennifer Sue Milem (joy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:40:58 02/01/08 Fri

Steve, I think you will die, but I like your songs better, Steve, your wife will cry.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: QUIERO CONTACTO


Author:
MARY ACOLTZIN (:))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:18:11 12/26/06 Tue

HOLA, SOY MARY DE MEXICO D.F., Y ME ENCANTA STEVE PERRY, HE HECHO MI COLECCION DE DISCOS DE CUANDO EL ESTABA EN JOURNEY Y DE SOLISTA PERO AUN ASI QUIERO SABER MAS DE EL Y SI ES POSIBLE TENER UN CONTACTO CON EL ATRAVES DE MI CORREO ELECTRONICO, PORFAVOR, SI HAY ALGUIEN QUE SEPA DONDE LE PUEDO ESCRIBIR Y QUE EL PUEDA RESPONDERME O ALGUN FAN KE SEPA MAS DE STEVE POR FAVOR ESCRIBANME, MI CORREO ES maryperry_40@hotmail.com. A TODOS MIL GRACIAS Y ESCRIBANME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YA KE ME ENCANTARIA COMPARTIR MI GUSTO POR EL CON MAS GENTE KE TAMBIEN APRECIE SU ENORME TALENTO, SALUDOS: MARY.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: hello


Author:
robbie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:43:50 04/16/05 Sat

As a life long journey supporter im a stevie lover and as a drummer i cant think of a better drummer than larrie
london god bless and thank you for all good memories.

Robbie

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: hello


Author:
Suzi Ramey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:36:46 07/09/06 Sun

>As a life long journey supporter im a stevie lover and
>as a drummer i cant think of a better drummer than
>larrie
>london god bless and thank you for all good memories.
>
>Robbie
I see that you mentioned Larrie London in this posting. Would you be able to tell me if this is the same person as Larry London. I keep finding information about a drummer who was a sessions player in Nashville TN. I also see that he played some dates with Elvis. I am seeing the same type of references but with the two different spellings. Like he was a large man and one of the best drummers ever. I also see references that he is deceased, both spellings. I am doing the research for some items that I would like to sell.Can you help me out?
Thank you,
Suzi G

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: I very much hope Steve Perry will please read this message....


Author:
Debbie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:20:03 05/25/05 Wed

Dear Mr. Perry,
I believe that you are an Angel sent by God to touch my heart with joy. I have longed for many, many years to be able to meet you and tell you this face-to-face, but if that is not to be, I wish with all my heart that you will see this message. I just want to 1) thank you for sharing the gift of your beautiful voice with the world and 2) tell you how much I miss being able to see you and hear you 'live in concert' every year. I never missed a single show here in Detroit. I still listen to all my LP's and watch the new DVD so I will never forget how your voice sends my heart soaring. I hope that you have plans to grace us with more of your beautiful music soon. I don't know you personally (although you would probably recognize me from the first row!), but I truly love you, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the happiness you've brought me for so many years.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity and beyond


Author:
Clint Daniels
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:55 03/08/05 Tue

Unfortunately on the digital cd of "Feelin That Way/Anytime
The masterer goofed during the last last 10 second seguay and turnrd it down!!! Bummer. I prefer to listen to this on lp where you get the actual sonic clarity through and through on EVERY song.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: My favorite Journey, Infinity


Author:
David Annanders II
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:39 05/11/04 Tue

This album represents a kind of freedom, melody, rock and roll, and rhythm that i love most about early Journey,,,,

IN PARTICULAR, THE LAST MINUTE OF 'FEELING THAT WAY',,, AFTER THE SOLO,,, WHEN PERRY'S ADLIB OVER THE HARMONIES BEGINS,,, THIS SOUND AWAKENS THE GIANTS,,, EVERYTIME I HEAR THIS PART OF THE SONG,,, I HAVE CHURCH,,,IT'S SO SPIRITUAL AND SO GOSPEL, THAT I FEEL LIKE I'M AT CHURCH,,

JOURNEY,,, it was an honor,,

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity--the start of a great bank combo


Author:
Deena
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:01:13 05/02/04 Sun

I just listened to this yesterday while driving home from Los Angeles. I do agree with everyone that this is an alblum that no tracks need to be skipped. Steve's soulful voice took this band to places it would have never gone without him not to mention his song writing abilities.
I just wish he would come back and give us somemore of his talent in song writing and singing.

Deena

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: FROM CHILE UN CD MY ESPERADO


Author:
Catalina Ibarra Figueroa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:31:57 02/20/04 Fri

Después de una larga espera de años, recién en diciembre del año 2003pude obtener este CD, lo encargué a través de Internet a USA, más que nada para completar mi colección de Journey, puesto que ya tenía "Greatest Hits" y "Essential", donde salen la mayoría de las canciones. Clásico de clásicos, como siempre, lo mejor de Steve en sus mejores años con Journey.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: FROM CHILE UN CD MY ESPERADO


Author:
Catalina Ibarra Figueroa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:44 02/20/04 Fri

>Después de una larga espera de años, recién en
>diciembre del año 2003pude obtener este CD, lo
>encargué a través de Internet a USA, más que nada para
>completar mi colección de Journey, puesto que ya tenía
>"Greatest Hits" y "Essential", donde salen la mayoría
>de las canciones. Clásico de clásicos, como siempre,
>lo mejor de Steve en sus mejores años con Journey.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity


Author:
Kim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:29:16 12/12/03 Fri

I'll never forget the first time I heard Steve Perry. I fell in love with him and have loved him ever since! This is an album that you never get tired of hearing. Wheel in the Sky is my favorite song,I have listened to Infinity thousands of times and I'll say right now that you can't replace Steve Perry with a "wannabe" It's not the same.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity


Author:
Robert
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:09 07/01/03 Tue


[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity - when I fell in love with Mr. Perry!!


Author:
Karen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:24:11 11/25/02 Mon

All I could say was WOW when this album came out - and I listened to it all the way through for the very first time... I fell in love with Steve Perry most especially over Winds of March. I am SURE I wore out the grooves on my album. I fell asleep every night to that song, dreaming.... dreaming..... anyway I still have it and will not part with it even though I can't play it anymore!! LOL

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: July album pic


Author:
Kim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:53 07/08/02 Mon

This is at the top of my fave albums. The song Winds of March reminds me of giving birh to my son 15 years ago and how I felt the first time I saw him.

I feel that Greg, Ross and Neal should feel lucky that Herbie pushed for Steve to be part of this band, other wise I feel that they all would be flipping bugers somewhere.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity - Album Review


Author:
Melissa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:00:43 07/06/02 Sat

What can you say. Journey's first album with Steve Perry at lead vocals. There is not a song on the album that Steve does not do justice to the vocals on. Every song is superb. Wheel in the sky, La do da, Winds of March and You can do are all fine examples of Steve's vocal talent. No one else could have done those songs like he did. He is a true ballad singer. It just goes to show why on future albums Journey became the band they did with Steve at the lead vocals.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity


Author:
Linda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:21:23 07/05/02 Fri

Infinity--several people will argue that Journey first started with this timeless album. I feel a deep kinship with this album because it came out the same year I did--1978. If you listen to the first three Journey albums before Infinity however--you realize that Steve Perry truly was the fuse that lit the rocket. Many people didn't know that the band existed before this album. The chemistry between Steve and Neil begins to show itself on Lights, Patiently, and La do Da. With Steve's soaring vocals--he made Wheel in the Sky a pure 70's classic. My mother sang Winds of March to me as a baby--it's a personal favorite of mine. She Opend the Door shows Journey venturing into ballads--something they never did before and would later learn to perfect. Can Do is a strong piece for Ross Valory--one of the last songs he helped to co-write. All of the tracks are strong--Perry's high tenor soared. He blended with Gregg Rollie so well it's hard to hear the two distinguished voices on Anytime. Neil's guitar work really shined on Winds of March and of course in Wheel in the Sky. Aynsly Dunbar was called an octopus on drums and it shows--his drumming is all over this album. Infinity was the begining of something very special--some people call it magic--that Journey helped to create. A great album... a great band.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: Infinity: A Very Cool Album


Author:
Allyson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:53 07/01/02 Mon

"Infinity" by Journey is a really great album. It's one of those albums that you can listen to all the way through without skipping tracks. The best songs on this album is "Lights", "Feeling That Way", "Anytime", "Patiently", "La Do Da" and "Wheel in the Sky".


Be good to yourself,


Allyson.



[ Post a Reply to This Message ]


VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:


Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.