VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]56789 ]
Subject: Court issues protection order - Don Polye

Author:
chicko
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu, Nov 15 2007, 01:44:06pm

FYI,

In light of the killing of late Andy Toap - the Kandep high school deputy principal who was murdered by Don Polye's cohorts has prompted this Protection Order to prevent further intimidation and threat to witnesses while the court of disputed case for the Kandep open has been put on trial for April 1st 2008.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/110807/Nation%2017.htm

Court issues protection order
By JOSHUA ARLO
THE Waigani National Court issued a witness protection order after a petitioner claimed that some of his witnesses had been “attacked and killed” recently.
Justice Mark Sevua’s protection order applies to witnesses for both the petitioner and the respondents.
Anyone found intimidating, threatening or interfering with any of these witnesses will be arrested by police and charged with contempt.
Petitioner Luke Alfred Manase is seeking to declare null and void the election of Kandep MP and Minister for Works Don Polye.
He named the Electoral Commission as second respondent.
He is claiming that there was undue influence, bribery and vote rigging by Mr Polye, aided by electoral officials in the election this year.
More than 170 witnesses have been listed down to testify in the trial, which is scheduled to begin next April 1.
Justice Sevua has set aside eight weeks for the hearing.
He will also hear a challenge by Labi Amaiu against Moresby North-East Open MP Andrew Mald next March.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Court issues protection order - Don Polye

Author:
-
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thu, Nov 15 2007, 07:36:24pm

Interesting

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Court issues protection order - Don Polye

Author:
Wondering!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sun, Nov 25 2007, 08:17:26am

Do we have any latest updates on this issue? I am rather curious whats going on.

Wondering.

[> [> Subject: Re: Court issues protection order - Don Polye

Author:
chicko
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2007, 09:08:07am

The court of disputed returns for Kandep open has been put on trial for the starting 1st April 2008. The case is expected to last 8 wks and about 75 or so witnesses will be staged.
The petitioner Alfred Manase and a couple of others will file a submission in December to set the location to either Mendi or Goroka. Mt Hagen has been ruled out after the incident involving Don Polye's cohorts and the brutal killing of late Andy Toap. The electoral commission doesn't want Wabag as the venu because of security reason for it's lawyers.
Will keep you posted.

[> Subject: DisCrediting Wabag as a Venue??

Author:
Pro Engan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2007, 09:29:03am

Why is it that Wabag is continuously being discredited as a potential location/venue/center for goverment and business activities, as in this typical example with the court cases.?

A sad picture.

[> [> Subject: Re: DisCrediting Wabag as a Venue??

Author:
TapuMalo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2007, 06:07:41pm

I think the electoral commission has a point in saying that they fear for the safety of their lawyers. I've seen it first hand myself at the Waigani court house in 2005 during one of the sessons of the trial between Rimbink Pato and Mikki Kaeok. There was this diehard Mikki supporter who was brought straight from Dante's pit who had no idea of courtroom manners and decent conduct....I presummed he couldn't speak either english or tokpidgin too. I was there at the courtrroom and he was on a rage....beyond rage...I don't know how to describe it. He was definately possessed...was on something. He wanted to murder the judge in the court house....Some Mikki supporters were having a hardtime containing this man whilst the court was progressing. He said it was so easy for him, he can juts murder the judge whilst he is presiding the case. I couldn't believe my ears....Some of his relatives told him that he will get the death penalty for that and he said he didn't care because he would be part of history in the making. He said he could just get a pistok go up to the front and shoot him or jum up to him and drive a knife straight into the heart whilst the judge is presiding.

I was shocked and wnet home.....findning hard to comprehed what I had just heard and witnessed....so you my point is, if there are people in Enga who are committed to to do anything even in the national and supreme cout house in Waigani to prove their point or stay in power then the lives of the lawyers and judges are truly in danger in Enga.

Unless there is reasonable gurantee that lives of lawyers and judges are protected.....sensitive cases will not be heard in Wabag in the short to medium term.

Enga is changing but there are pockets of people who still needs to be changed....until then Enga will be changing forever.

Blessings

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT+10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.