Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
PayPal Acct:
Feedback:
Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):
| Sunday, May 17, 09:36:27pm | [ Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, [7], 8, 9, 10 ] |
| Subject: Despite Complaints, the MTA Shuts Down 45 Token Booths | |
|
Author: NewYork--tokens |
[
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message
]
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 12:16:32pm http://www.nynewsday.com/nyc-toke0818,0,1557133.story?coll=nyc-topheadlines-left Despite Complaints, the MTA Shuts Down 45 Token Booths Email this story Printer friendly format [ Top Stories ] Mayor Salutes City's Blackout Heroes Council Meets, Honors Davis Uniondale Woman Hits Jackpot City's 1st West Nile Diagnosis Gotti Brother Named In Murder Plot By Joshua Robin and Andre L. Taylor Staff Writers The MTA shuttered 45 token booths, keeping its long-standing pledge despite bitter objections from riders who believe the closings will make emergencies like blackouts more dangerous. "It's just not right. They're not taking safety into consideration," James Edmonds, 63, of Forest Hills said as he was boarding the subway near a doomed booth at the 63rd Street Station in Rego Park. The booths, in every borough except Staten Island, were open part-time and are located in stations with a full-time booth. The Police Department has concluded the closings won't endanger riders. But transit advocates and riders disagree -- especially after last week's blackout, which stranded about 210,000 commuters in tunnels and stations. All were sucessfully evacuated, with the help of subway employees. "Station agents and station cleaners played a key role in directing passengers to available exits," said Leah Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for Local 100 of the Transport Workers Union. A spokesman for New York City Transit countered that the evacuations would have occurred even if the booths had been closed. The spokesman, Mark Groce, said riders should have no trouble exiting a station without employee assistance. He said token booth operators aren't even supposed to help in evacuations. "It's mostly the train conductors and the train operators who help them," Groce said. Referring to passengers in stations, he added: "There are really no secret passageways that they have to open." In addition to the 45 booths, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority plans to close 17 additional booths by the end of the year, estimating it will save a total of $2.3 million annually. Gov. George Pataki on Aug. 1 vetoed a bill that would have kept the booths open for up to three years. The MTA said it installed emergency communications equipment that connects passengers in the affected stations to the station agent. Nevertheless, lawmakers, union officials and regular straphangers see agents as deterrents to crime and friendly faces in bleak underground stations. Marcia Dannenberg, 74, of Rego Park, said she no longer will enter the 63rd Street station near the closed booth. "By closing the booth, you cut off all security," said Dannenberg, who said she's lived in the neighborhood for more than 40 years. "I hope nothing happens to me," Melissa Heigh, 25, of Brooklyn, who works in retail, said as she entered the same stop. "No one will hear or see anything." [ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ] |