VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]
Subject: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
randy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:28:01 12/02/01 Sun

Hi All!
Just wondering what Chanter/Reed combinations have worked for you! Also Why? ie...Mellow low notes, Bright top hand..etc..
Thanks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Peter Kosmoski
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:01:01 12/05/01 Wed

I've recently fallen in love with the Shepherd reeds. They are a little tough, but sound great (I have yet to find a great sounding reed that is easy to play). I've been partial to Naill chanters from the beginning, so my good combo right now is a blackwood Naill with a Shepherd reed. I am considering trying my current reed with my plastic Dunfion chanter. The Shepherd reed is loud already with the wood chanter, it should be fairly impressive through a plastic chanter!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Randy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:13:54 01/05/02 Sat

>I've recently fallen in love with the Shepherd reeds.
>They are a little tough, but sound great (I have yet
>to find a great sounding reed that is easy to play).
>I've been partial to Naill chanters from the
>beginning, so my good combo right now is a blackwood
>Naill with a Shepherd reed. I am considering trying
>my current reed with my plastic Dunfion chanter. The
>Shepherd reed is loud already with the wood chanter,
>it should be fairly impressive through a plastic
>chanter!

Peter, please keep me informed as to your impressions on the Dunfion Chanter, Shepard reed, I too have a Dunfion A/B chanter and can't find any reeds except Soutar that work well in this chanter.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:36:17 12/07/01 Fri

Naill BW with a good strong Caldwell reed. The presence this chanter has with strong reeds is phenomenal. You may have to carve the E and F just a hair because it tends to fall towards the flat side. But if you give a wee scrape to these notes or manipulate the reed, it comes in beautifully and balanced. The Shepherd also works as well, just need a bit more carving and fine-tuning, but it's well worth the work. Remember one thing...cane is cane, no matter the name. That might be a whole new thread.


>Hi All!
>Just wondering what Chanter/Reed combinations have
>worked for you! Also Why? ie...Mellow low notes,
>Bright top hand..etc..
>Thanks

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Jake McLeod
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:16:01 12/17/01 Mon

>worth the work. Remember one thing...cane is cane, no
>matter the name.

Where did you ever get this notion?

Jake

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:22 12/17/01 Mon

From more than one quite reliable source/professionals in the field. Good cane is good cane. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a manufacturer will blame bad cane for problems with their reeds. When in fact, if they took the time to choose good cane to begin with, the reeds would perform well. Like I said, I judge reedmakers on their ability to choose the best quality cane. I don't judge my reeds on the manufacturer's design, since we all carve them up to suit our needs anyhow, thus altering any revolutionary design they can come up with.

Just look at the Apps ridgeback. Supposed to increase volume without increasing effort. What innovation!!! But they still last about 15 minutes because of the quality of cane used. And I am not a pinch-crazy beginner, I have a few years experience with reed manipulation, and that reed just doesn't last. Yet I have a Caldwell that's been going strong for 2 years now, and a Shepherd for just over a year. What do they have in common? Good cane. Can I tell a discernible difference when I place them in the same chanter? Nope! Both are bright, both are strong, both are balanced. Both are excellent quality reeds, because of their cane. And I cannot say it's their designs that make them different because I cut them all the same. The true mark of a good reedmaker is his choice of cane, and the care he takes in putting them together. These reeds are going strong, and are showing no sign of their age in the least.

Brian.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Craig Fallim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:16:50 12/17/01 Mon

I have the same Caldwell for the past 3 years! So yes, I agree with you totally, it's all in the cane. I have a Shepherd going for just under two years, and a Megarity Ross that's coming in real sweet, only a month old though. But I can vouch for Caldwell and Shepherd, the cane is far superior. And I can assume the Meg Ross will stand well judging by its performance so far. I too tried other reeds, including the ridgeback, and they lasted only a few short months. An old instructor of mine used to scoff and say reeds were consumables. He would just grunt and say "Use it up! Reeds are made to be used up, thrown away and replaced! Until you find a good one, then you keep that reed forever." I know what he means now after three years with the same reed and two years with another.

To keep with the thread, I have my Caldwell in my Naill BW and the Shepherd in my Sheperd poly band chanter. The Meg Ross I plug into the Naill for the hell of it, and it's sounding very sweet. Good cane and the skill to manipulate it will make any reed, no matter who made it, sound smooth as silk. But 99% of it all is good cane.

CF.


>From more than one quite reliable source/professionals
>in the field. Good cane is good cane. And it doesn't
>take a genius to figure out that a manufacturer will
>blame bad cane for problems with their reeds. When in
>fact, if they took the time to choose good cane to
>begin with, the reeds would perform well. Like I
>said, I judge reedmakers on their ability to choose
>the best quality cane. I don't judge my reeds on the
>manufacturer's design, since we all carve them up to
>suit our needs anyhow, thus altering any revolutionary
>design they can come up with.
>
>Just look at the Apps ridgeback. Supposed to increase
>volume without increasing effort. What innovation!!!
>But they still last about 15 minutes because of the
>quality of cane used. And I am not a pinch-crazy
>beginner, I have a few years experience with reed
>manipulation, and that reed just doesn't last. Yet I
>have a Caldwell that's been going strong for 2 years
>now, and a Shepherd for just over a year. What do
>they have in common? Good cane. Can I tell a
>discernible difference when I place them in the same
>chanter? Nope! Both are bright, both are strong,
>both are balanced. Both are excellent quality reeds,
>because of their cane. And I cannot say it's their
>designs that make them different because I cut them
>all the same. The true mark of a good reedmaker is
>his choice of cane, and the care he takes in putting
>them together. These reeds are going strong, and are
>showing no sign of their age in the least.
>
>Brian.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
richard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:27:06 12/27/01 Thu

>From more than one quite reliable source/professionals
>in the field. Good cane is good cane. And it doesn't
>take a genius to figure out that a manufacturer will
>blame bad cane for problems with their reeds. When in
>fact, if they took the time to choose good cane to
>begin with, the reeds would perform well. Like I
>said, I judge reedmakers on their ability to choose
>the best quality cane. I don't judge my reeds on the
>manufacturer's design, since we all carve them up to
>suit our needs anyhow, thus altering any revolutionary
>design they can come up with.
>
>Just look at the Apps ridgeback. Supposed to increase
>volume without increasing effort. What innovation!!!
>But they still last about 15 minutes because of the
>quality of cane used. And I am not a pinch-crazy
>beginner, I have a few years experience with reed
>manipulation, and that reed just doesn't last. Yet I
>have a Caldwell that's been going strong for 2 years
>now, and a Shepherd for just over a year. What do
>they have in common? Good cane. Can I tell a
>discernible difference when I place them in the same
>chanter? Nope! Both are bright, both are strong,
>both are balanced. Both are excellent quality reeds,
>because of their cane. And I cannot say it's their
>designs that make them different because I cut them
>all the same. The true mark of a good reedmaker is
>his choice of cane, and the care he takes in putting
>them together. These reeds are going strong, and are
>showing no sign of their age in the least.
>
>Brian.
i have just returned to piping after an 8 year break n ive just taken over a very young band on the lookout for good reeds where can i get a sample of caldwell reeds ????

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Randall Paine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:41:59 01/16/02 Wed

hmmmmm, i've had the same apps reed for 7 months now.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Hal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:40:26 01/18/02 Fri

Well, if it's an Apps you'll get about another 5 minutes out of it. When you get a chance, pick up a real reed like a Shepherd or Caldwell and get a couple years out of it.

>hmmmmm, i've had the same apps reed for 7 months now.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: pipe chanters


Author:
alex
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:28:22 11/10/04 Wed

hello everyone does anyone know anything about sheperds chanters thankyou

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Successful Chanter/Reed Combination


Author:
Iain Morrison
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:22:37 02/16/07 Fri

Another outstanding combination of chanter/reed is teh Dunbar polypenco chanter (from Canada) with Gilmour reeds (from Australia).
Jim McGillivray put me onto this combination and I've have done well with it.

Superb ballance on the top and bottom and very easy to seat. I've had the same three Gilmour Reeds for about 4 years now.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]


VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.