VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]456789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:06:44 09/09/05 Fri
Author: J.J.
Subject: ProJo Editorial: CCSU who?

Good luck to FB on Saturday. I hope its a big crowd and a nice win! This is the kinda of crap that pisses me off!

---
Mike Szostak: Rams' lame scheduling pattern doesn't cut it for fans, recruits
01:00 AM EDT on Friday, September 9, 2005

College football coaches use many tools to recruit high-school athletes. They point to their record, the football tradition at their school, the great players who have worn the school colors.

They show off a stadium with manicured turf and row upon row of seats, a dressing room the size of a small auditorium and a weight room with multiple racks of plates and the latest training machines.

And they mention the schedule -- home games against tough conference foes and road trips to places high-school kids see only on TV. You just know that in addition to raving about the quality of play in the Atlantic 10 Conference, Maine coach Jack Cosgrove circles last year's game at Mississippi State, this year's trip to Nebraska and next's year date at Boston College when he tries to convince players from warmer climes to spend the winter in Orono.

URI coach Tim Stowers is no different. But the recruiting tools on his belts aren't so shiny. Rhody's record and tradition are mediocre at best, and few people outside of Rhode Island are familiar with URI's few great players.

And the schedule? Let's put it this way: I doubt anybody on the current roster signed a letter of intent because Central Connecticut State University was on the schedule in 2004 and 2005.

This is not a knock on CCSU. I'm sure it's a fine institution, although as an outsider I can't tell the difference among Eastern, Central, Western and Southern Connecticut State Universities. I did notice that the CCSU home page features an image of a female student wearing a tennis sweatshirt. Cool. A female jock. Oops, sorry. It's an Abercrombie Tennis sweatshirt.

My point is that Central Connecticut is not a school URI should schedule if it is trying to pump some life into the football program. What's the excitement factor for a two-hour drive to New Britain to sit in a 3,000-seat field to watch a team from the Northeast Conference, a so-called "I-AA mid-major" league that also includes Wagner, Albany, Stony Brook, Monmouth, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart and St. Francis? I'd say it's somewhere between little and none, and closer to none.

Two years ago, URI went to Cincinnati, played tough and lost. It was a great experience. Three years ago, URI went to Syracuse and stayed close for a half in the Carrier Dome before losing by 46. Still, a memorable experience.

Those dates occurred because of a quirk in the calendar that allowed for 12 games. Those are the games URI should be seeking, not Central Connecticut. If Rhody doesn't want to chase teams like Nebraska, Marshall, Cal-Davis, Vanderbilt and Rutgers -- all opponents of Atlantic 10 teams this season -- then what about teams like Georgia Southern, Stowers' former employer and a visitor to Northeastern last week, or Florida Atlantic or Florida International, a pair of Sun Belt entries? Rhody fans, and players, would get more excited about a trip to Boca Raton or Miami than they ever would about a drive to New Britain.

I wonder if Connecticut -- UConn, not CConn -- would entertain a call from Tom McElroy, Rhody's AD and a former UConn administrator. The Huskies are playing I-AA Liberty tomorrow.

McElroy and Gregg Burke, his deputy, are trying to enhance the football schedule in conjunction with other URI teams, specifically basketball. They have already arranged a 2007 football game at Army and have had talks with other I-A teams in the Northeast. I hope they succeed because Central Connecticut just doesn't make it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: ProJo Editorial: CCSU who? -- LarryL9797, 10:40:18 09/09/05 Fri

Espically .... Espically .... Espically when the last conf championship URI won was 10 years ago.

1 1952 7-1-0 Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Champions

2 1953 6-2-0 Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Champions

3 1955 6-1-2 Atlantic 10 Conference Champions

4 1957 5-2-1 Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Champions

5 1981 6-6-0 Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Champions

6 1984 10-3-0 Atlantic 10 Conference Co-Champions

7 1985 10-3-0 Atlantic 10 Conference Champions

8 1995 7-4-0 Atlantic 10 - New England Division Champions

This guy is a joke. He tears apart his own argument of lower teams playing up ( URI playing UCONN, Army<-- not sure about that one playing up).... So URI should Play every game up and not return the favor of central coming up last year. Thats having an elitist attitude for a team that has no reason to be.

I would love nothing more than to catch URI sleeping and come out of there with a win.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.