VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:54:20 05/02/16 Mon
Author: Perry Mason
Subject: Re: The PG's upGruv
In reply to: Page Hit-Person 's message, "The PG's upGruv" on 02:36:52 05/01/16 Sun

Mila might not need to "frame the Post-Gazette's digital strategy"--it's obviously guilty as sin.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: The PG's upGruv -- Page Hit-Person, 21:25:54 05/02/16 Mon [1]

Point by point:

Yes, the PG's website has been "horrendous" for a long time. Not on her. Never said it was.

No one including me sang Rochester's praises. He was in over his head from the day he got there. He was lucky he lasted as long as he did.

Take a look at her Linkedin job description for the AME position she formerly held. You know perfectly well "the geniuses in the audience department" were part of the "reader engagement" business she oversaw. As she put it: "engage with the readers and drive traffic to postgazette.com"

Nowhere did I praise upGruv. My point is, left to her own devices, Mila would come up with a few clever things like recycling old photos (Dig) and other vapid ideas directed to similar clickbait.

Two of the last three Deputy MEs have been women and everyone liked and respected Mary Leonard, Rochester's predecessor. She managed to work with all groups in the newsroom and create a team atmosphere. Has Mila? You undermine your entire point taking a cheap shot, playing the gender card with no reason to do so.

Did she ever work at a newspaper before joining the PG? No. She had modest jobs at CNN and PBS. Did she rise through the ranks like Sue Smith? No again. If she had, and had learned to manage people along the way, maybe the Guild wouldn't be so upset. None of this is surprising at a paper whose Executive Editor was a Boston Globe DC Bureau Chief and never ran a newspaper as a City Editor, AME or ME before coming to Pittsburgh.

PGMila is only the symptom of a problem based on John Robinson Block and Shribman, the financial walls falling around them, so fixated on creating a knockoff of the NYT they can't see the forest for the trees. Your "screed" suffers from a similar problem.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: The PG's upGruv -- Cedar of Mt. Lebanon, 05:35:07 05/03/16 Tue [1]

I think you meant to respond to Helen of Troy Hill, not Perry but your points are on point.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.