VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:03:37 07/31/16 Sun
Author: MMPgh
Subject: Re: DK's rant against his developer
In reply to: A Casual Observer 's message, "DK's rant against his developer" on 14:53:49 06/16/16 Thu

I don't think Gajtka's going anywhere. He was the very first hire if I recall correctly. DK's "protege" and a true devotee to the church of DK.

And he really didn't have a very prime gig prior to working for DKOPS. So I don't think he'd be poached by another major outlet in town. DK's probably as good as spot as he'd get anywhere.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: DK's rant against his developer -- Skeptical, 06:09:45 08/01/16 Mon [1]

DK's first hire was Yohe if I recall correctly.

Gajtka won't last, both his and DK's egos are too large to co-exist. At least DK is somewhat accomplished enough to have an ego. I find Gajtka's love of himself and his hair very difficult to stomach.

That's the quality of writers DK can afford tho. Writers are overworked and I would guess underpaid. I see Kaboly tweeting at Yohe for covering football and believe he is also covering baseball this week. How long till Yohe jumps ship too? Then what real writer will DK be left with? No one with any sort of following. No one worth reading? Interesting to see how long this can sustain itself

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK's rant against his developer -- The Cheap Seats, 06:30:37 08/01/16 Mon [1]

I agree - he was just doing Riverhounds play-by-play - DK's site is a step-up for him.

For everyone - does DK pay his staff salary or is it based on pageviews, etc? Or a combination of the two?

Did Yohe get a salary bump to leave the Trib or did he want to leave so badly because Mackey got the Pens beat writer job that he left for whatever he was offered?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK's rant against his developer -- Benny, 06:12:44 08/02/16 Tue [1]

Forget salary. Do you think what still qualifies as a start-up is offering any health benefits? Retirement? Anything like that.

Without knowing the writers' individual circumstances (could be on spouses insurance, etc.), a salary bump probably still doesn't compare to having other benefits from the P-G, Trib, etc. Would need to be a SIGNIFICANT bump to compensate for that.

Again, who knows what DK offers. But if you had to guess...

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: DK's rant against his developer -- skeptical, 09:16:03 08/04/16 Thu [1]

Nope pretty sure no past or current employee gets benefits of any sorts. Sad because DK can afford to send himself to Rio while his employees can't afford health insurance.
Especially considering AHN is a site sponsor, it shouldn't be that hard to broker a deal.
Grass is always greener. May they all find greener

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK's rant against his developer -- MMPgh, 11:59:23 08/02/16 Tue [1]

From what we can gather it's different for every employee. Yohe's apparently paid very well and salaried.

The others, the "littler" known writers, don't seem to be and probably on some type of pageview incentive deal. This prior thread had some specifics- http://www.voy.com/158430/21404.html

I'd imagine the more working class writers are also on an advertising incentive plan. DK's been on Twitter in the past tweeting he'll give any fan who wants to secure him site sponsors a percentage of the deal. I'd assume that'd extend to writers too.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.