VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:05:21 08/24/16 Wed
Author: Way to go, P-G
Subject: Pitt student

Boy, did the P-G swing and miss on this story about the kid who fell between buildings in Oakland Tuesday. From the messy lede to the description of Birdsong as a "rising senior." What is a rising senior? Was that supposed to be a pun since he fell?
This is all even more embarrassing in that the student is the son of Tom Birdsong at the P-G. Couldn't get a quote from the student, or even Tom? Couldn't even say that the student wasn't available for comment, or declined comment?
What about the business? Closed during the week of students moving in? Think that's not going to be a massive financial hit for them?
This was a national story, and the P-G gave it an amateur effort. And the Trib may have been worse...As of Wednesday morning, I only see an AP story online.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2016/08/23/Crews-free-man-stuck-between-buildings-in-Oakland-pittsburgh/stories/201608230120.print

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Pitt student -- Dean, 04:19:52 08/25/16 Thu [1]

P-G was too busy obsessing about the two female Penn State roommates who couldn't get along.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Pitt student -- The Man From the South, 05:21:14 08/25/16 Thu [1]

A rising senior is a student in limbo during the summer months between his junior and senior years.

It's a fairly common term. I've been familiar with it since I was a rising second grader.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Pitt student -- He has risen, 08:30:29 08/25/16 Thu [1]

That Penn State roommate story was great!

I've had issues in the past with the use of "rising", but I sort accept it now as it's been explained to me that it refers to someone who is between grades or college years. It wouldn't be right to describe the student between the buildings as a junior, since he's done with that year, or as a senior, since he's not quite there.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Pitt student -- Leapin' Lizards, 05:29:14 08/26/16 Fri [1]

All my considerable life, until recently, someone between junior and senior years was called an "incoming senior." Everybody knew what it meant and it didn't sound stupidly, unnecessarily pretentious.
I guess that in an age when everyone gets a trophy for showing up, making each kid sound even more special isn't surprising.
This scholar was so special he got stuck between buildings. There must be a trophy for that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Pitt student -- Pitterpat, 12:02:34 08/27/16 Sat [1]

Yeah, "rising" is a hilariously inapt and inept word in that context. (The P-G alone isn't guilty of using it, though.)

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Pitt student -- Funky Wagnalls, 18:44:48 08/27/16 Sat [1]

I'm wondering whether this is a newly made up word. I've seen it several times lately but never before.

In the past, "incoming senior" or "who will be a senior in the fall" were adequate.

It has the air of saying "matriculated" when all you need to say is "enrolled" or "attended".

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Pitt student -- Lowering (In mourning for the English language), 08:55:13 08/28/16 Sun [1]

I guess it's "common" now.

https://www.google.com/#q=rising+meaning+will+be+a+sophomore

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Pitt student -- Webb Sturrz, 18:17:07 08/28/16 Sun [1]

Something tells me it might have been used to "soften" things given who was involved.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Pitt student -- Falling Freshman, 05:05:18 08/25/16 Thu [1]

The PG should have been on top of this. They weren't. They will plead understaffing, a lame excuse. It would be a scandal except that they screw up things like this all the time and the Trib, frankly, is not any better. If this had happened when Scaife was alive and with it, the Trib would have been all over this and rubbed the PG's nose in the story because of who was involved. No more. Between both dying papers, Pittsburghers are getting shortchanged on news coverage. And please, please don't think Billy Penn or any of these other rank amateur startups are going to change that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Pitt student -- Old College Try, 07:36:52 08/25/16 Thu [1]

A "rising senior" (or sophomore or junior) is a student who has completed their studies in the previous year and hasn't begun classes in the current year.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.