VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:09:18 11/13/16 Sun
Author: Joan Bias
Subject: ACLU-"Left Leaning?"

Somebody needs to do some research...

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/11456406-74/trump-aclu-campaign

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: ACLU-"Left Leaning?" -- Uneven-handed, 11:17:46 11/14/16 Mon [1]

ACLU has fought for all sides over the years depending on the issues, but Fontaine chose to ignore that bit of reality. I had doubts about him as a political reporter from the start. If he can't keep his personal slants out of his stories, let him do something else.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: ACLU-"Left Leaning?" -- Have mercy, 13:21:01 11/16/16 Wed [1]

Don't be too hard on Tom Fontaine. It's hard to expect much, given he came to the Trib from the Beaver County Times. End of story.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: ACLU-"Left Leaning?" -- Say what?, 19:07:32 11/16/16 Wed [1]

What's that insult supposed to mean?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Here's your explanation -- Have mercy, 21:57:23 11/16/16 Wed [1]

The BCT has had a few good reporters and many not so good. Tom, IMHO, falls into the latter. He's just trying to push perceived Trib ideology in his "objective" reporting. If Tom doesn't know that the ACLU has represented groups and cause of all ideologies, then he has no business on this beat. Does that explain it?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: ACLU-"Left Leaning?" -- Barry, 18:23:02 11/16/16 Wed [1]

If memory serves me correctly wasn't former GOP governor Dick Thornburgh a member of the ACLU?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: ACLU-"Left Leaning?" -- Objectivity not required, 13:37:42 11/17/16 Thu [1]

The Trib is more desperate than ever, with all the downsizing and divestitures, to be taken seriously. For decades a blend of objective and blatantly slanted news reporting has been the norm there. Changing that should be one of Jennifer's goals, though it may beyond her ability to achieve. Having a biased reporter like Fontaine, clearly convinced he inherited the Zito mantle, assigned to cover politics sends just the opposite message to readers. None of this convinces me Luis is up to the task, either.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: ACLU-"Left Leaning?" -- Onlooker, 15:12:44 11/17/16 Thu [1]

That poor Fontaine fellow. He doesn't hve much experience, and maybe not enough education. He hasn't grasped that the ACLU isn't "left-leaning," meaning liberal in his context and at his newspaper. The ACLU is actually, if anything, right-leaning. In defending the Constitution, in trying to preserve the Constitution and its amendments and its spirit, it is conservative. And that doesn't mean politically conservative, like, say, Dick Scaife. It means conservative by definition and practice. The ACLU is trying to keep the Constitution the same, for the benefit of us all. Keeping the Constitution the same equals maintaining the status quo, which equals conservative.

It's certain to infuriate someone when the ACLU challenges a practice or piece of legislation. What's the old saying -- whose ox is being gored? The ACLU's question is, Is it constitutional?

The ACLU sometimes is the last line of defense against some depraved ideologue.

Sometimes the ACLU drives me nuts. I'm not a member, but I probably should be.

As to Fontaine -- he just doesn't know any better yet. The Trib has handed a 12-year-old the keys to a semi and said, hey, take it for a spin.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.