VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:08:46 01/26/17 Thu
Author: Samuel G.
Subject: P-G negotiations with Guild

I understand the contract is up at the end of March and the company is looking for even more concessions. The plan is to print just five days a week by the end of the year. Anybody have details?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: P-G negotiations with Guild -- Pour Richard, 10:17:49 01/26/17 Thu [1]

I suppose they'll kick out Monday and Saturday, if printing only five days. It is so sad to see this continuing erosion of the staff and its compensation, and even two days of printing. Hard for staff to tighten their belts any more, and coverage suffers due to too few to do all the work. Maybe they'll sell out, now that they have a printing plant worth something. But since any sale would be a fire sale, maybe they'll hold on to it. Sooner or later, you'd think the Blocks' voices saying no more would win out. Who among us older newspaper guys/gals would have thought decades ago it would come to this? And the president and his gang present us with the concept of "alternative facts." Real news was never more needed.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: P-G negotiations with Guild -- Horace Greedley, 16:34:25 01/26/17 Thu [1]

They wouldn't be the first to print five days a week. It is funny, though, they'd go this way after spending all that capital on the plant in Clinton. The overall direction, selling the downtown building, buying out veterans and hiring newbies [some good, some subpar], doesn't make much sense. Underutilizing the new presses would be bizarre, but probably not by Block standards.

If they keep going this way, Allan and JR might as well just sell it or close it, even if it makes JR cry or pitch a tantrum. Given the emaciated print PG, I'm not sure how many would care if they shut down. Most people I know are canceling print subs.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.