VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:04:51 04/06/08 Sun
Author: Alex
Subject: Breeding
In reply to: Melissa 's message, "Link" on 16:23:32 09/02/07 Sun

I think friesians are the suffolk sheep of the horse world with regards to breeding!!!;) They are very difficult, if I'd known how hard they are to breed and the high occurences of genetic problems they get I think I would not have even gone down the breeding route!!!
Luckily our stallion Wessel's tadpoles are good quality and are freezable - many are not, and he always gets his girls in foal first time, but the x bred friesians are far better, that's why we have retained a TB x friesian colt as a stallion prospect - he is gorgeous and just like a really good sort of hunter/warmblood type with plenty of bone.
Am in the process of hunting down a suitable baroque andalucian to put some of our mares to, - which have discovered are like gold dust!, to get some hybrid vigour without loosing looks and temperament - I'm sure most of you will gasp in horror at this, but the gene pool is so small - worse than TB's, something has to be done, especially now they are limiting the genetics further by selecting the sport type stallions over baroque/classic types. I will put the offspring back to the friesian - after all that is how the breed came about in the first place!

If you can't get your mare in foal after more AI, then try another breed or partbred friesian stallion, just to get her reproductive system going and to prove she can breed, then try again with a friesian that is known to have a high success rate, if you choose a really good stallion there are plenty of people who want really top notch crossbreds.
Also watch your mares condition, if they are slim/fit then it will increase her chances, 3 of our girls were fat when we bought them - they had not taken for 3 years each as they were just too fat! Also if your mare is 3yrs old this can be an awkward time to get mares in foal, it might be better to wait till 4yrs+ and try again. It is disheartening when mares don't take especially after so much time and money is put into it - but that is horses I guess! Don't worry though I'm sure she will eventually have a sproglet!
I would agree with the others though - get your vet to read the article on Ironsprings website - have put a link from my site as it is very useful and not widely known!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.