VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:54:33 09/16/10 Thu
Author: Megan
Subject: Keeping them Black
In reply to: Amerins 's message, "Keeping them black" on 12:40:18 09/15/10 Wed

Yes, he has been gelded since I've had him, however he did bleach out really bad the 1st summer I had him, which was before I got him gelded. Here is some background:

In June of 2008 I bought my yearling Anton colt...he was black as black can be, almost blue-black. That summer he bleached very very badly, as the woman that I was boarding with at the time did not understand the words, "Don't turn him out in the heat of the afternoon. He is jet black and very hairy." So what does she do? She turned him out from like noon to 4pm every day in the 90 degree heat. Brilliant.

So, I was hoping that fall that his coat would grow in nice and dark...which it kind of did. Over the winter we moved him to a training barn as his ground manners were getting very bad due to this same woman trying to use "natural horsemanship" training techniques on him, which did not work at all and he was almost impossible to handle. Anyways, so at his new barn, which we are currently still at thank god, his manners got much better. In the Spring (March of 2009) we had him gelded. He was almost 2 by this time. That Spring I was hoping that his winter coat would shed out into a beautiful black undercoat. WRONG. He was still just as brown as he was the previous fall before he grew in his winter coat. I don't understand why this would happen. It's like he shed out back to brown. It happened again this spring of 2010, but not as bad. I did put him on Omega Horseshine, which may have helped with it, and later that summer we put him on the Black as Knight just to try it. He went through 2 of the small containers and he probably got a couple of shades darker. Now we're completely out of it and I kind of don't want to refill it. Does he really need to be on 2 coat supplements?? I also thought of maybe switching him off the Horseshine and onto Grand Coat. What do you think? The Horseshine is cheaper. Hmmmmm.

Megan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.