VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:34:30 10/06/10 Wed
Author: Amerins
Subject: mane
In reply to: Joe 's message, "How do I make my Friesian's mane grow?" on 10:44:55 10/06/10 Wed

Manes are hair, hair is dead.

There is nothing you can put on hair to make it grow faster. What you CAN do, is to protect the hair that is there.

By keeping it clean,soft and detangled, hair will break and damage less. I wash my horse's mane once a week in the summer, every other week in the winter. Use a mild shampoo, so you don't irritate the skin. Then use a moisturizing conditioner that is free of silicones, alcohol, etc. Makes sure to rinse out really good, you don't want your horse to get itchy and rub all his hair out because of shampoo left behind!
Then I let the hair airdry, before I detangle it with a paddle brush. Work from the bottom of the hair to the top, every time there is a tangle, stop and use your fingers. Then I put in a french braid (or 2, depending on the horse). Some people use normal braids, but I don't like to. Leave the braids in at all times, it will protect the hair from breaking off. When I have a show I use Cowboy Magic and let them hang loose.

The other thing you can do, is by feeding your horse right, and make sure he is itch-free. Friesians are prone to itching, so bring your horse in at sunset and sunrise, when bugs are most active. Use a flysheet (keeps them black, too).
Don't feed any sugar or starches (ea. carrots, apples, oats, molasses, etc are all bad ideas).

That's what I do, and it works for me. But of course genetics also play a role, some Friesians never grow a long mane.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Read this Article -- Ileana, 06:28:55 10/07/10 Thu
  • Mane tips -- Megan, 11:26:21 10/08/10 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.