VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:30:43 10/13/10 Wed
Author: Ileana
Subject: My Training Plan for the 4 Year Old Stallion Keur

Well this is my first Friesian as well but far from being my first horse. I got him at 7 months old and he is now 3 years 5 months old. I have attended several large Keurs in Michigan and paid attention to the Judges comments. Hopefully you have been to a Keur. That is a good place to start to see what specifically the judges' look for. There are many facilities that “specialize in Keur prep” but I am leery about what they can really deliver outside of a first-rate training program. My impression is that many cater to the backyard Friesian owner that plucks horse 30 days or so off the field before the Keur and train. I do not subscribe to that at all because I believe it is important to present the horse at their best. Please understand that I come from a show barn and all of my horses have been conditioned, worked and are extremely fit and muscled through gentle but effective training. So my Friesian colt has been in training since 2.5 years like what I have done with my other horses. He is broke to ride and needs more work to develop that lovely rocking horse collected slow canter. He is almost there and I love to develop young horses into beautiful athletes. My trainer (Dan Flowers) is one of the best colt trainers in the country but Friesians’ are new to him. Yet the man is just an awesome horseman so I am truly getting results and feel fortunate. However, in the “Friesian world” my trainers are not Friesian mainstream folks but they are remarkable. The downside (besides the cost) is that while I live in Michigan my horse trains in Houston. I miss him but want to give him this opportunity and like I said before I love the development process. So the next step is that my colt will be shipped to Michigan next summer 2011 for his Adult Keur. I may enlist in “Keur prep” from Vander Plog or the DeBors once I figure out if Keur Prep is different than what has been done already. What I am thinking is that my colt will need in-hand work so that he moves his as*% and show his brilliance in-hand. After the Keur, I will just turn my colt out for a well deserved break from training for a few months before he starts back into dressage lessons. I need to find a great dressage trainer now. That is my plan for whatever it is worth. Oh and my colt is very nicely muscled and has great motion. I am supposed to get a video sometime this week and I will share so that you can be the judge and see for your self my plan in progress. Oh and the important thing…is to enjoy your very cute filly; nice picture.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.