VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:29:03 03/14/11 Mon
Author: Ileana
Subject: Training Bits for a Young Stud Colt

I was hoping that a professional horse trainer can provide some insight on acceptable training tack, specifically the bit. I have a young 4 year old Friesian stud colt that was started in a baby bit about 1.5 years ago and has progressed. My trainer has a BS degrees in Equine Science, 26 years of horse training experience, and multiple breed experience but my Friesian is his first.

My horse just recently competed in an open novice Saddleseat horse class and was shown by his trainer in schooling tack. The trainer used a martingale and either a twisted wire or a bicycle type bit. A friend saw my horse's show picture and expressed concerns over the tack; she was appalled and believes the bit was too severe especially for a young Friesian.

My friend is an amateur Friesian owner and so am I. I wanted to validate the concern. I talked to the assistant trainer and was reassured that the tack was acceptable for schooling and not overly harsh under the tutelage of a professional.

Can anyone share their thoughts? Does anyone see an issue with this training tack?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.