VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:16:59 03/15/11 Tue
Author: Megan
Subject: Training tack & bits
In reply to: Ileana 's message, "Training Bits for a Young Stud Colt" on 11:29:03 03/14/11 Mon

Hi Ilena!

I just wanted to drop a comment and say that my 3-4 year old colt has worked in similar tack, although if the bit was indeed of bicycle chain nature, that is quite harsh. And as far as I know, you're not allowed to show in a martingale unless you're competing in an Academy class which trainers would not be allowed in. Now as far as bits, my colt works in a twisted D ring snaffle. He has shown in a short shank pelham (also a snaffle). Although he is a hunter and not saddleseat. I'm surprised that he was not shown in the traditional double bridle. That makes me wonder. If your friend is a Dressage person, then that would explain her concern. I don't think the Dressage people "believe" in those kinds of bits. And by 'those kinds of bits' I mean the twisted and chain bits. Chain bits are too harsh in my book, but some twisted bits are fine. :) My colt rides and drives with the twisted D ring and he does fine. Friesians are very big and powerful horses. If they decide they want to be fresh and take you by the bit and take off, they certainly could and you would have very little, if any, "brake power." He was probably just doing it to be safe.

Now as far as acceptable show saddles, I believe any leather cutback saddle would be suitable for show, as long as it fits the horse and the rider. If you are still having doubts you can always look for another trainer to take him to. :)

Megan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.