VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:01:29 04/11/11 Mon
Author: Megan
Subject: Braids & mane care
In reply to: Helen 's message, "Mane care" on 01:22:24 04/10/11 Sun

Hello!

I also have a Friesian with a very long mane that I keep braided most of the time. Yes, sometimes when I take out his braids out he loses a tuft or two if it's been up too long. I keep his mane in braids for the week and let it down to "hang" on the weekends and rebraid again at the beginning of the week. It works pretty well and keeps it from getting too dirty. His mane gets very dirty if I leave it down all the time. The more dirty it gets, the more dry and fragile it will become.

The important thing is to not leave the braids in for too long, and don't start your braid right up by the crest. If he stretches his neck down to eat, it will pull on the mane hair and that's how you wind up losing clumps of hair. Start the braid further down the hair shaft. True, the braid will not last as long, but it keeps the hair from being pulled out at the root.

So yes I agree with the previous person's message. Wash it good and put a good moisturizing leave-in detangler/conditioner in and braid the mane when it's damp/dry. The braid will hold tighter that way, even if you braid somewhat loosely. I've tried the french braid approach but it doesn't work for my horse because he does put his head through the fence and rub. If your horse does not rub this would also be a good way to keep your horse's mane up and protected.

Also Shapley's makes this great product for manes & tails called MTG. You've probably heard of it. It works great for dry manes. But it smells gross!! :) Like bacon grease or something. :) You could always put that in before you braid. :) Hope this helps you out. :)
Megan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.