Join us as we discuss our favorite stories,
improve our writing skills, and share our fanfiction pet peeves.
NOTE: This board is an
experiment based on the belief that it is possible to discuss fanfiction in a
positive manner. The moderators have zero tolerance for mudslinging, slander, or
other behavior that may result in hurt feelings. Any post that crosses the line
will be deleted without warning. Repeated offenses will result in a ban or in
the message board being taken down.
We welcome discussion about
specific stories and authors as long as comments don't devolve into personal
The act of writing and
publishing a story is one of both trust and vulnerability, and every author who
has the courage to take that leap of faith deserves our respect.
Trying to find a fic -- HMFan, 16:05:12 05/26/14 Mon 
You know the feeling: wanting to reread a fic, but not being able to remember the name or author. If anyone can help (or recommend a similar substitute, I'd appreciate it!
The premise was that Harm is hurt and fed up either post Paraguay or post-Singer trial (I think the latter-- as there was something about JAG people not being there for him). He leaves and goes to work for a woman who runs a ranch. He eventually get sick (pneumonia? anthrax?), Mac gets a clue and comes looking for him. Apologies are made, and there's a happy every after. Sound familiar, anyone?
Jogging tips and other good health tips -- Knut Holt, 18:09:38 03/30/14 Sun 
HOBBY PRODUCTS AND TECHNICAL PRODUCTS
RC Models of Cars, Helicopters, Boats, Airplanes, Drones. All types of hobby items, included: Remote controle models of cars, helicopters, airplanes,boates. Chemistry kits, science kits, electronics sets, airsoft guns, building sets and a lot more
SUPPLEMENTS FOR MUSCLE AND CONDITION BUILDING AND FOR SPORT TRAINING
Protein and amino acid concentrates. Carbohydrate concentrates and other energy boosters. Drugs to stimulate work-out ability and allertness. Stimulants for muscle growth. Supply of lecithin,creatin and carnitine. Supply of vitamins and minerals. Supply of essential fatty acids.
Performing regular jogging gives better physical condition and other health benefits. Jogging also gives physical and mental pleasure.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF JOGGING
Jogging on a regular basis give a distinct good effect upon the general health, provided it is not over-done. The effects are:
* Jogging makes the heart stronger. It increases the capacity of the blood circulation and of the respiratory system.
* It speeds up the digestive system and helps you get rid of digestive trouble.
* It counteracts depression.
* It increases the capacity to work and lead an active life.
* Jogging makes you burn fat and thereby helps against over-weight.
* If you suffer from poor appetite, jogging will improve your appetite.
* Jogging will strengthens the muscles of your legs, hips and back. However you will not get very big muscles from jogging.
* Jogging makes you sleep better.
THE PLEASURE OF JOGGING
Jogging gives you physical and mental joy, provided you do not exhaust yourself. When jogging is done correctly, you will actually feel less tired when you have finished a tour than before you began. You get nice feelings in your muscles during the jogging and afterwards.
You will feel the wind blowing around your body. You will hear the birds singing, the music of running water in the streams, or the sound of waves dashing towards the seashore. During the jogging you will also get a euphoric mental feeling after some time.
CLOTHES AND SHOES
The type of clothes you were must be suited to the weather conditions. In warm weather, shorts and a t-shirt is enough. However, it may be useful to carry along an extra piece of clothe in a light back-pack if you run out on a long route, in case the weather aggravates. In colder weather you must add more layers of clothes. In either case, the requirements for the clothes are:
You should use light and soft clothes without any sharp sutures, hard edges or massive folds. They should sit fairly close to your body, but not so close that you feel squeezed, trapped, or so that your movements are hindered.
The clothes should give good ventilation for moisture and sweat and perspiration through the fabric. The fabric should ideally hold water totally out from the outside, but this requirement is difficult to achieve together with the requirement of good ventilation.
You should use fairly soft shoes, but with a good shape fitting the anatomical shape of your feet. The soles should easily bend during the normal movements of your feet, but support well against the ground. The underside of the sole should give friction against any type of grounds, so that you do not slide during jogging. The soles should buffer well against each impact from the ground.
JOGGING ROUTES AND SESSIONS
Jogging may be performed in a lot of ways
* Long distance jogging 6-20 km in a moderate speed on even roads or paths.
* Short distance jogging 3-6 km in a high speed.
* Jogging upwards in a steep terrain 3-4 km, in a speed adjusted to the steepness
* Jogging in a hilly terrain with paths going both up an down 4-8 km
It is advisable to vary the type of jogging from day to day. Then the jogging gets funnier and you get a variable type of training.
HOW TO PERFORM A JOGGING SESSION
You should move slowly with little efforts the first few hundred meters to warm up your muscles. Then you gradually increase your muscular work and speed. When you have done half the route, you can take a speedy spurt using most of your capacity. If the route is long enough, you can take two or three spurts using nearly full capacity.The last hundred meters you gradually slow down again.
STRETCHING YOUR BODY BEFORE AND AFTER EACH SESSION
It is advisable to stretch out both before and after each jogging session, and not only the muscles in your feet, but your whole body 2 minutes before and 3-4 minutes after the session. When stretching out do the following movements:
* Bend forward and touch your toes.
* Kneel down on one of your feet, and stretch the other out backwards.
* Bend your body to both sides.
* Stretch out an arm, grab something, and turn your body round so that your arm is bent backwards.
* Shoot your abdomen foreword, so that your spinal column is stretched into a bow.
* Place your hands behind your neck and stretch your arms backwards. Then twist your body to left and right, also bend to each side.
After the jogging it is sometimes best to wait for some minutes before you stretch out, so that the worst tiredness has gone away first.
WHEN AND HOW OFTEN
If jogging is the only sport activity done, a jogging session every second day is ideal. This is enough to give all the health benefits and increase your condition and endurance gradually, but without wearing yourself out. If you combine jogging by other types of sport activities, 2 times a week may be enough.
You should not be too hungry before jogging, but it is not advisable to take a jogging session straight after a big meal. The time of the day does not matter, but your jogging should not be the first thing you do in the morning.
HOW TO BEGIN
If you are not accustomed to physical activity before you start jogging, it is advisable to consult a doctor before you start. You may have health issues that is not compatible with jogging activities, or that you must consider when doing your jogging.
The first times, you should only jog on plain ground and only for 10 minutes. Then you can increase the time, distance and speed, and choose steeper and more difficult paths.
Knut Holt is an internet consultant and marketer focusing on health items. TO FIND anti-aging supplements, medicines against acne, eczema, rosacea scars, wrinkles, other skin problems and natural medicines against heart disease, hypothyroidism, hemorrhoids, depression and other common health problems, PLEASE VISIT:
About Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Or Heart Burn and Its Treatment
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, acidic reflux disease) content from the stomach is frequently pushed up into the esophagus and sometimes all the way into the mouth. The content can also sometimes be aspirated down into the throat and the windpipe.
Since there is a high concentration of acid (HCl) and digestive enzymes in the stomach content, it will irritate or hurt the esophagus, mouth or throat. It will give acute burning pain and can cause chronic inflammation and eventually also structural damages in these organs.
THE MECHANISMS OF THE DISEASE
Several mechanisms can cause acid reflux and thereby heartburn, either solely or in combination:
- The sphincter (a circular muscle) that normally closes the entrance from the esophagus into the stomach can be too lax or it can be be abnormally shaped so that stomach content leaks upwards.
- Hiatal hernia can cause GERD. By this condition the upper part of the stomach has been pressed up through the passage in the diaphragm into the thoracic cavity.
- The digestion of food in the ventricle may be too slow, causing the ventricle to empty too late and eventually get over-filled.
- The ventricle can contract too much or have cramps, like when one throws up.
- The portal muscle between the stomach ventricle and the duodenum (upper part of the small intestine) can be too narrow or constrict too strongly so that content fills up in the ventricle and makes an over- pressure here.
- Any situation that increases the pressure in the abdominal cavity can contribute to GERD.
- The heartburn and other symptoms of GERD can be associated with a too high production of salty acid (HCl) in the ventricle.
- Also people with normal stomach function seem to have some degree of reflux. In many sufferers of GERD increased production of acid therefore seems to be the only component of the disease.
PRIMARY CAUSES OF GERD
The primary causes of these mechanisms and thereby GERD can also be many:
- Anomalies in the gastroesophageal sphincter or other places in the stomach region causing reflux can be congenital.
- Consuming too much coffee, tea, alcoholic beverages, citrus juices, tomato juice, carbonated beverages, chocolate, peppermint and other spices can cause GERD. But a more moderate consume of coffee, tea and spices may have a good effect on the digestion.
- People that consume great amounts of fatty food, refined sugar and refined floor will often acquire acid reflux.
- Acidic reflux is sometimes associated with smoking and with use of certain drugs, like cocaine.
- Frequent physical strain of certain kind, like heavy lifting when bending down, frequent coughing or labor during delivery can increase the pressure in the stomach and cause reflux.
- A history of stomach ulcers or inflammations can give the kind of abnormalities in the stomach that cause GERD.
- Nervous problems caused by stress or physical neurological anomalies can affect the nervous control of the stomach and the sphincter and lead to frequent regurgitation of stomach content
TREATMENT OF GERD
Lifestyle measures are often the first treatment one tries to help against GERD. If these are not enough, drugs of various kind can be used, and as a last resort surgery is sometimes performed. Possible measures against GERD are:
- It can be useful to reduce the consume of coffee, tea, alcoholic beverages, citrus juices, tomato juice, carbonated beverages, chocolate, peppermint and other spices. It is however not necessarily wise to avoid consume of coffee, tea and spices totally
- Stopping or reducing smoking may help against GERD.
- Reducing the consume of food with much added sugar or of sweet snacks and cookies may help. It may also help to eat full corn bread and cereals instead of products based on refined flour.
- Lying with the upper body and head high can often hinder reflux during night or rest. Reducing the meals before bedtime can also help..
- Relaxing measures like meditation or measures to avoid stress can often alleviate the problem.
- Chewing gum after meals may alleviate GERD, because this action stimulates the production of acid-neutralizing saliva and the swallowing down of the regurgitated stomach content
- Acute symptoms of GERD can be alleviated with drugs containing acid-neutralizing substances. Most of these are based on salts of aluminium, magnesium or calcium.
- Sometimes drugs that modify the acid secretion are used. A class of these drugs blocks the action of the tissue hormone histamine that commands the release of acid - the so-called H2 receptor blockers. Another class, proton pump inhibitors, blocks the production of acid directly. These last drugs also help against the inflammation and damages done by the reflux.
- There are also drugs than can stimulate the function of the muscles in the upper digestive system, so that the gastroesophageal sphincter contracts better and the stomach empties itself.
- There also exist drugs producing a foam that will lie upon the top of the stomach content and block the regurgitation of acidic content.
- Substances that can improve the digestion chemically can sometimes help, like supplements of gastric enzymes.
- There also exist herbs or natural substances with the ability to reduce acid reflux and help heal damages from acid reflux, like Aloe vera, Picrorhiza, orange peel, and licorice. Often such substances are blended to give the wanted effects.
- When hiatal hernia causes severe reflux, a surgical procedure called Nissen fundoplication is sometimes performed.
To find further information and products for body development, fitness and natural disease cures, please see Knut Holt's website. Products and advices against GERD, digestive problems, over-weight, hypothyroidism, hemorrhoids, acne, joint pain, flu, UTI, yeast infection, edema, heart problems, nervous problems, rheumatic problems, respiratory ailments and more.. -----
Random question - is there a "good" rule of thumb on how long to make a "chapter"? In other words how do you know a story should be broken up into sections? Is it by length, content, or a combination of both? -- usmgrad, 13:23:06 10/24/11 Mon 
Harm's Grandmother Sarah Rabb -- Laurie, 23:10:00 09/05/11 Mon 
Do we know where Harm's grandmother lived? Several stories have her farm in Belleville, Pa. or Bealsville, Pa. Are either of these based on show canon? If so which is correct? If not specfically in the show's canon, upon what do we base this? Thanks for any input you can provide.
Pixie, I have a story that I would like to submit for consideration on Legacies. Are you still taking nominations? I can't seem to access the contact address given on the site. -- Lee, 12:44:49 06/29/11 Wed 
strange but true.... -- LauraBF, 19:50:08 03/20/11 Sun 
I was playing with the paygrade charts over on military.com and discovered something interesting. Granted, they're not for 2005, but 2011, but it still should hold true--Harm took a pay cut with his promotion! Because he'd been a Commander for about five years, he was making around $200 more a month than he did after he was made into a brand-new Captain. In a few years, it'd change, but it just struck me as really weird... get a promotion, take a paycut.
Looking for Story -- Jann, 21:58:44 11/27/10 Sat 
Been reading a lot of stories. Currently reading stories from Anne R and Pat Steiner. Looking for chapter one for Mayport. And looking for the complete story for Jag San Diego. Thanks in advance...Jann
Kay Benton's site? -- perennial lurker, 19:15:33 10/16/10 Sat 
Is her fanfic (Once Upon a Rose Garden) located somewhere else now that Geocities is gone? I'm sorry if this has been posted, I've been out of the fanfic loop the last year. Thanks for any help!
Need help in finding a fanfiction -- Ltcoldevildog, 18:20:51 09/21/10 Tue 
Hi I'm looking for a fic in which Harm lives in California. And at the start Mac and her daughter visit trish's gallery and Mac gets hit outside of so Harm and his family take care of the little girl. Thank you so much for the help
Fiction Help -- Jann, 22:51:03 07/19/10 Mon 
Been reading a lot of stories. Currently reading stories from Andrea. (Crossroad and No Doubt). Can someone tell me where to find Weakness and In this moment? Thanks
I'm working on cleaning up Legacies, changing the submission process, and uploading my backlog of nominees. To that end, I've spent the past month and a half recoding everything and modifying the index and faq pages to reflect the new guidelines.
I'm looking for some people to help me review everything that's there and track down whatever bugs may remain in the current collection. To wit:
1: Do hyperlinks work and do they go where they're supposed to? (This is especially relevant to multi-part stories). The Continue button should always go to the next chapter, the Return button should always go to the previous chapter, and the chapter bar at the bottom of each multi-part story needs to be tested to make sure the links work properly)
2: Is the formatting correct? Are chapter/part/section headings bolded? Do lines end where they're supposed to or are there random returns mid paragraph that need to be corrected?
3: All text should be in 12 point, blue, Arial. Is it?
If you can help, please let me know by replying to this post and indicating which author(s)/stories you're willing to review. Feel free to sign up for multiple authors and/or stories, but please don't sign up for something somebody else is already doing.
If you find any issues, you can either send me an email or notate your findings here and I'll try to make the corrections as quickly as possible.
List of Claimed Authors (I'll update this as we go. Strikethroughs indicate authors that have been reported to me as checked): Aerogirl, Ann, Annie, Carrie, Carol, CatMom, CharS, Chris Gomez, CLK, Daenar, Delphie Kat, H. Lee, HollyJP, Incatnito, Jackie, Jaye Reid, Karen, Kimberly Knipp, Laura BF, Lauraloo, Laurie, LizD, LobsterDoc, LRM, Lt. Commander Coulter, Manette, Mary, MKim, Moonchild, NancyT, Pat Steiner, Pixie, Rinkrat, Shannon S., Sheri, Siamese Cat, Slippin' Mickeys, MSHDV, Soleil, Sooz, Spider, Startrails, Susan, Tracy M, Ultracape, Valerie Jones, Vivienne, Witezon
Last edited by author: Thu April 29, 2010 11:12:06
Edited 18 times.
I've been admittedly absent from this board for far too long, and I apologize for that. I do check in on a daily basis, but I know things are quiet to dead around here and that have I only myself to blame. I apologize for that. I'm considering some ways to breathe new life into things, so if you have any ideas, please let me know. :)
In the meantime, I bring you information ...
Depending on how much you move about in the fannish world, you may or may not already know about the new archive. Born as a result of a massive, multi-fannish dust-up, (the details of which I won't get into right now because 1: it'd take too long and 2: it isn't really that important), the Archive of Our Own (aka AO3) is a new, multi-fandom archive. An offshoot of the Organization of Transformative Works, the archive is still in beta mode and only accepts fic for the moment, but I believe there are plans to expand into the areas of art and vids as well.
The AO3 is run by volunteers who are also fans--experienced people who know what works and what doesn't, and who want to support fannish creativity. Everything to do with the archive is fan-owned - the servers, the software, the teams that keep the archive running and work to make it better.
I've uploaded all of my JAG stories to AO3 (including several that still haven't made it to my website), and I'm working on uploading the stories I've written for other fandoms. It's a daunting process, but I'm getting there. I like the archive. I like the fact that it's a fannish project. I like the way it looks. And I like its functionality. I've already provided a link to the archive itself, but if you'd like to see an individual profile, mine is here (and if you happen to realize that I've neglected to upload something, please let me know).
The AO3 is in open beta right now, but they have a sign up list and they'll send you an invite as soon as there's space available. As of my most recent check, there were only 17 people waiting for invites, so you should get yours pretty fast. Even if you don't choose to open an account over there, you can still read and comment on stories that have been uploaded. There are, so far, only 54 stories in the JAG collection, but with 5,200 fandoms and almost 50,000 works represented as of today, you can probably find something you'd like to read. :-)
Last edited by author: Sun January 24, 2010 00:05:32
Edited 1 time.
When writing a "long" story (more than one chapter) do you use an outline? Or do you just "wing" it? Do you know where you're going when you start or do you let the story "take" you where it wants to go? Also do you finish a story before you begin to post or do you work and post as you go along? -- usmgrad, 07:32:37 12/28/09 Mon 
I ask these question because I have read stories where the author has commented 1- I don't know where this is going or 2 - I don't know how long this will be. I guess we all know what happends to those that aren't finished before posting, some never get finished. Just wondered how others "think out" their stories.
Guess you could say I'm taking a poll. But remember all answers are confindenial - no former English teacher will be informed of your answers. As I'm sure we all know they would cringe at the thought of working without an outline, research, notecards and posting before the thing was complete. (At least my former teachers would)
What do you do when you get stuck in the middle of a fanfic? I think I've worked myself into a cornor with the current HBX challenge, got it started, used the lines, know what I want the end to look like but don't know how to get there. I think maybe I need a different writing style for the middle. So I guess my real question is what are the different styles of writing? ( I'm guessing 'style' is the correct term) I normally use dialogue, you know you "hear" it as it happens. I have used flashback at times (that won't work here), then there's the story told by a third person ( also won't work here). What am I missing? I wish I could write intropsective(character's thoughts) but I'm not very good at it and that is probably what I need in the middle of this one. -- usmgrad, any and all help appreciated, 12:01:10 12/12/09 Sat 
There is a message going around in the YahooGroups that someone got a virus from FanFiction.net. Has anyone else had any problems? After the problem on Karen's site, I am now afraid to go to FF.net -- Sophie, 22:47:09 10/15/09 Thu 
I need dialogue help. Where can I get the actual dialogue from Adrift 1? In particular at the rehersal dinner. -- usmgrad, 19:44:31 09/08/09 Tue 
I have an idea for a story, don't know if it will ever get on "paper". Seems I have alot of ideas but have trouble getting them down. Anyhow is there a place that has dialogue or do I have to watch the epiosde over and over to get what I need? I can do that but not if I don't have to.
I've included my email for personal responses. Thanks in advance.
BTW how do you make yourself sit and write when you have an idea? I've tried writing on paper but can't seem to get it to the computer. I have outlined stories on the computer but can't seem to expand them into actual stories.
And why is it the best ideas come when I'm in the shower and can't write on anything?
Maybe I'm just an idea person and need to find a writer to "go" with the ideas. I've got plenty of them if anyone is interested.
Finding a story! -- Emily, 06:22:58 09/15/09 Tue 
I'm currently looking for 'The Next Conflicting Phase' by Annie, and I can't find it anywhere. I've exhausted every source! Does anyone know where I can find it?
Any Geocities JAG fanfiction site owners out there? Someone posted on the Tresure Seekers site that the free web-hosting will be no more as of some date in October 2009. There are quantities of impacted ff sites. -- janlaw, 20:13:54 07/12/09 Sun 
Here's a question - Harm was promoted to Captain so he was a high rank than Mac. Could they be charged with something if they became involved even though they weren't in the same chain of command? -- usmgrad, 21:55:35 05/21/09 Thu