VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]23 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:59:55 03/30/07 Fri
Author: silas
Subject: Re: Distance Traveled
In reply to: Troy Groves 's message, "Re: Distance Traveled" on 16:32:55 03/29/07 Thu

I don't care what miles are figured out on some map. I carried a pedometer in my pocket. I calibrated it for a thirty inch step. Based upon the number of steps I took, I marched, hiked, stepped, walked, stumbled, tripped, ran, leaped, and spashed :

nine plus miles the first day ;
nine plus miles the second day ;
I didn't look at the end of the third day because I was officer of the guard that night and unable to see how many clicks were on my meter ; and
four and a half miles the fourth day.

I've been using my pedometer for more than a year and am satisfied with its accuracy. Sometimes my steps were smaller at Banks. Sometimes longer. A thirty inch step isn't a long stride. Had I set the meter for a thirty six inch stride, the distance tallied is going to be way to far. If I set it for a regulation twenty eight inch stride - which is a pretty short step to maintain - the distance tallied is going to be very short.

When at a halt, there is still running around which does not figure on any map. When marching, there is dodging to the right and left when one is out with the flankers or skirmishers. During the skirmishes, there is running around which does not figure into the distance on some map.

The mileage of others obviously varies.

Silas

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.