[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:30:17 06/26/08 Thu
Author: scc
Subject: applying for a health insurance card (d21)

One of the most important things you need to do as soon as you arrive in Canada is to apply for a health insurance card.

All members of your family, even newborn babies, must have their own card. You can get an application form from the provincial ministry of health office, any doctor's office, a hospital or a pharmacy.

If necessary, the immigrant-serving organization in your area can help you fill out the form.

To apply for a health card, you will need your birth certificate or Confirmation of Permanent Residence and passport. The permanent resident card may also be presented.

In most provinces, you will receive coverage as soon as you apply.

Health-care services covered by medicare include:

examination and treatment by family doctors;

many types of surgery;

most treatment by specialists;

hospital care;


many laboratory tests; and

most immunizations.

Health-care services not covered by medicare, and for which you will have to pay, include:

ambulance services;

prescription drugs;

dental care; and

glasses and contact lenses.

These services are sometimes covered by workplace benefit packages.

Your health insurance card is mainly for use in the province where you live. If you are visiting another province and have a medical emergency, you can use your card.

However, if you move to another province, you will need to apply for a new card.

As people in Canada tend to move in the spring and summer months, these are the best times to look for a home; there will be more choices available.

In Ontario, British Columbia, New Brunswick and Quebec, there is a threemonth waiting period before you become eligible for medicare coverage. If you are immigrating to any of these provinces, you should get private, short-term health-care insurance for the first three months.

Insurance companies are listed in the Yellow Pages of all Canadian telephone books, under "Insurance".

visit: <a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://settlementincanada.50webs.com/healthinsurancecard.htm">http://settlementincanada.50webs.com/healthinsurancecard.htm</a>

Optional Link URL:

<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://settlementincanada.50webs.com/healthinsurancecard.htm">http://settlementincanada.50webs.com/healthinsurancecard.htm</a>

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.