VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

Leadership Change Fund

State Websites Social Media Message Boards Community

Subject: Gretchen's and Regina's Hissy Fit

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:04:26 10/15/18 Mon

https://www.toledoblade.com/opinion/editorials/2018/10/14/miss-american-organization-pennylvania-pageant/stories/20181014054
Replies:
Subject: Former Miss OK, Triana Browne, just posted on Instagram that she is competing for Miss OK USA. Are any other former (MAO) STATE titleholders planning to do so as well?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:00:25 10/04/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: My opinion

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:04:17 10/16/18 Tue

Gretchen Carlson is in the process of destroying her political career. She has shown a complete inability to negotiate or mediate difficult situation. Quite the opposite, actually, as she has shown the authoritarian, “my way or the highway”, leadership style. Had she been smart, she would have stabilized the organization, scheduled a democratic vote by the state’s to elect new leadership, and come out smelling like a rose. Now, I fear her claim to fame will be presiding over that last Miss America Pageant. Voters can see what they are getting well in advance and, let’s be honest. If you can’t run a pageant, you can’t run a country. Just sayin’...
Replies:
Subject: i noticed someone has some pageant dvds on e bay. miss south Carolina 1986 and 1987. maybe there are more

Author:
sal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:11:59 10/15/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Rumor has it that contestant numbers are waaaay down everywhere. I know they only had 18 at Tennessee USA, which was shocking!! Can we start a list which will compare numbers of contestants competing in locals this year with last, pageants that have folded in both systems. For the first time I actually feel that pageants are becoming passé.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:55:21 10/16/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: South Carolina has announced Miss SC 2019 will receive a $60K scholarship. Wow! Good for them!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:28:10 10/16/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: MAO Leadership Change Fund - Matching Donation Campaign Until Nov 1

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:42:30 10/14/18 Sun

See Update 3!

Thank you to the contributor!
Replies:
Subject: Gretchen actually posted this on her twitter feed today! What a hypocrite.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:43:41 10/15/18 Mon

"I've still got my nose smack dab in the middle of @Sallykohn 's great book #TheOppositeofHate because we need civility now more than ever. Have you noticed how even more mean and nasty we're becoming as people? Help spread some decency and dignity and pick up a copy of her book."
Replies:
Subject: Miss Wyoming Organization

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:03 10/12/18 Fri

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the Miss Wyoming Organization?
I spoke with a girl today who is very interested in competing (WY is her native state) but their website/contact info is down.
Is this one of the boards that has disbanded?
Replies:
Subject: Volunteer organizations in America are to be fun and uplifting to those involved. I have volunteered in multiple non profits for years. Everything from my children’s PTA to community theatre. If this current upheaval at MAO occurred in any of these groups, I would have left and no longer be involved. There are so many problems in our own lives, that why would anyone choose to stay involved with a volunteer organization that is so chaotic? I can see why many are fed up and leaving. No one needs this disharmony from the top down.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:49:35 10/16/18 Tue

Subject: Pageant

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:54:53 10/02/18 Tue

I know this is way off topic, but I was watching an episode of the Jetsons and the wife Jane entered and won the Miss Solar System pageant. I found it a bit ironic that a woman in her mid 30s could win a Miss pageant beating out women 10-15 years younger than her. And she had 2 kids on top of that.
Replies:
Subject: Miss WV USA Contestants

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:28:44 10/07/18 Sun

https://www.misswestvirginiausa.com/2019-miss-west-virginia-usa-contestants/
Replies:
Subject: Please just step down ....

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:51:46 10/15/18 Mon

I'm an LD ... you're mess is ruining our program. We get it. You wanted to make some changes. But you've taken it too far.

I'm having trouble with contestants and sponsors and it's all because of the chaos and bull**** at the top. It was so wonderful getting rid of the old administration but you've gone too far!

Stop making this about you and bring back our program!
Replies:
Subject: Let’s shed some light and be honest here... I think we are all pretty bored and frustrated of the entire organization. I follow a few state titleholders on social media, but that’s it, no one else not even Nia; and I don’t visit this board as often either lately. It just turned into something that’s sad and cringe-worthy. Well, I guess all good things must come to an end at some point. I’m trying to follow USA more, but while they’re great, but it’s not like the “old” MAO.

Author:
#standwithCara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:08:46 10/15/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Miss TN USA Contestants

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:54 10/06/18 Sat

http://www.misstennesseeusa.com/contestants_tnusa.html
Replies:
Subject: Dick Clark Productions

Author:
Noproduction
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:28 10/14/18 Sun

Dick Clark Productions cut ties with MAO. Didn’t Regina and Brent and possibly Gretchen go to them with the emails from Sam Haskell? Essentially, they are the reason MAO had no production company and has no decent bookings anymore.
Replies:
Subject: How many ladies competed for Miss America last year ( including locals) and how many are expected to compete this year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:04:59 10/08/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Scepter - questions

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:20 10/12/18 Fri

It appears the “crowning” moments usually included flowers and a scepter.

1921 (Gorman) – does not appear Gorman had a scepter
1922 (Campbell) thru 1926 (Smallwood) – large fleur de lis scepter decorated w clear and 4 color rhinestones 1927 – beautiful ball shaped crystal scepter
1933 (Bergeron) – no scepter
1936 (Coyle) thru 1939 (Donnelly) appears they were different, but all were flat w clear and color rhinestones
1940 (Burke) thru 1966 (Bryant) aluminum 4 point w clear rhinestones and 5 ruby colored rhinestones
1967 (Jayroe) thru 1992 (Cornett) – MAO 4-point crown shaped scepter
1993 (Aiken) thru 2000 (Baraquio) – Waterford Crystal 20” 6# with crown, orb, heart shaped scepter
2001 (Harmon) thru January 2013 (Hagan) – no scepter
2013 (Davulari) – 2017 (Mund) - MAO 4-point crown shaped scepter
2018 (Franklin) – no scepter

Corrections wanted.
Did any Miss America winner get to keep the scepter or were was the scepter kept at MAO headquarters and only used for the crowning? (Believe Waterford took theirs back).

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
Replies:
Subject: Four Points of the Crown...

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:03 10/12/18 Fri

Did 2.0 replace STYLE with SISTERHOOD?
Subject: A good read

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:32:44 10/09/18 Tue

As I sit before this beautiful work of art, this amalgam of fondant, buttercream and pulled sugar, I am amazed. This castle, complete with a tower, draw bridge, champagne mote and bride and groom is spectacular.
“That,” she said as she entered the room, “is a $4,000 cake and weighs in at over 250 pounds. Can you believe that?”
The baker was a beauty and, while I was impressed with the confections, it was the stunning woman behind the edible art and a story from more than a decade ago that brought me to this southern café and bakery.
“I understand that you competed in the Miss America Pageant when you were younger?”
An eye-roll preceded the response. “Hardly.” She adjusted her skirt, sat up taller and stated, “I didn’t have a talent.”
After some prodding, she agreed to relay the story I had heard from my older sister. The woman before me was known to be of legendary beauty and grace and now, a self-made millionaire, she is what the young girls in this southern town aspire to become.
“You see, I didn’t have a ‘talent’ and, therefore, I chose not to compete at the local level after my first try. I can remember Mrs. (name withheld) with her JCPenney blazer and blue dye-job,” she laughed. I went to the pageant orientation and she asked me what my talent was and I said ‘cake decorating.’ She informed me that this was not a talent. Singing is a talent. Dancing is a talent. Piano is a talent. Cake decorating was definitely not a talent. It was a skill.”
“Well I persisted and was informed that I could make some rosettes on stage with Gershwin playing in the background, but I could not bring the finished product on stage and the judges could not taste the cake as part of the judging. The girl that won? She won in a $2,500 gown and tap danced. Not being disrespectful, but she is divorced with three children and lives at a trailer on the edge of town. She probably spent more than $50,000 to win local pageants and has nothing to show for that. If her mother had invested that money in her education, she would have a very different life right now. After that pageant, I never entered another one. Why would anyone with half a brain enter a pageant that costs thousands of dollars to win in order to get a $250 scholarship and a tiara I can buy on e-bay for $30?”
This, I fear, is the state of affairs that the Miss America Pageant finds itself in in the era of #metoo. After eliminating the swimsuit competition earlier this year, it is the talent competition that most clearly relegates the pageant to irrelevance.
The southern baker whose shop I visited is only one of the many stories on which I will be reporting in coming weeks. Consider the basketball player who could sink a three-point shot from any spot on the floor, but was told that “athletics are not an acceptable form of talent.”
“They told me I should dribble a basketball while I do a monologue. My talent is not reciting a monologue,” she stated with a slight speech impediment. “I turned to sports because I struggled with communication. My talent is my sport.” After attempting to learn a jazz dance routine and never receiving a scholarship in the Miss America system, she ultimately received an athletic scholarship and parlayed that experience into a collegiate coaching career.
Consider the artist who works as a graphic designer for a Fortune 500 company. “Speed painting. Honest to God. They said I should try speed painting. I am a true artist and I have true talent. My talent requires time. I cannot create art is 90 seconds and to even suggest that I should is insulting. Can I yodel with a pair of ventriloquist dummies in my hand? No. Can I perform ballet en pointe to a Michael Jackson classic? No. Can I make a living with my talent? You bet I can.”
Therein lies the dilemma. The architect who has won awards for her designs, the cheesemaker who runs a successful farm-to-table operation, and the seamstress turned fashion designer were all told they were irrelevant at the time because they could not squeeze that talent into a 90 second multimedia extravaganza and, as it would turn out, these could-have-beens are the real successes.

Are swimsuits out-dated? Perhaps, but the truth of the matter is that nowhere is the irrelevance of the Miss America Pageant more obvious than the 90-second talent portion of the competition.
Replies:
Subject: Crossover news

Author:
PikachusWorld
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:13:29 10/04/18 Thu

Emmy Cuveiler and Maggie Gehlsen have switched to Miss Iowa USA: http://www.missminnesotausa.com/ia-contestants-miss.html
Replies:
Subject: Beck is doing a great job!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:25:47 10/13/18 Sat

https://www.facebook.com/MissAmericaWY/
Replies:
Subject: Can anyone tell me what the percentages were for the preliminaries and for final night for each phase of competition last month in Atlantic City? Thanks in advance.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:15:20 10/09/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Carlson takes to Twitter

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:00:20 10/12/18 Fri

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/missamerica/amid-miss-america-organization-striking-back-carlson-takes-to-twitter/article_cbf3021d-d032-54d4-bb47-51e4062e2e21.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share
Replies:
Subject: Local directors in MAO

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:33:19 10/09/18 Tue

I am curious to know, has there been or more importantly IS there a rule that local directors can only operate one local or one state open/festival pageant in their name in one given competition year??

My husband's home state had a man who ran a state open but then he had places his wife as the director of another, so both ended-up running two pageants to send two winners to state, but it was actually really him who ran the two pageants, but the wife helped out, but many knew it was so that they could "get around" the one peson per pageant directorship rule.

Is that the case now, or is it up to each state to allow drectors to have one or as many pageants as they wish in their state MAO program?
Replies:
Subject: Three Steps

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:50:32 10/08/18 Mon

Many, many Miss America fans, supporters, formers, parents, and contestants have been asking how to help the cause in terms of taking back our Miss america Organization and getting Gretchen, Regina, and their Board to step down. There is a three step process that many behind the scenes have been discussing in terms of how to move forward. It is important to note that we no longer advocate for focusing any energy on actually getting Gretchen or Regina to come to the realization that they need to step away for the betterment of the organization. We also no longer advocate for trying to get the Board to hold a vote to remove Gretchen and Regina. They have stacked the Board as a “yes” Board and there is 0% chance that the Board will even so much as call for a vote, much less actually get enough of their Board to turn on them for the betterment of the whole organization.

So what do we do? Here’s the three step process:

1. DONATE- Jennifer Vaden Smith has set up a legal fund to hire an attorney in New Jersey to try and take back MAO through a legal process. The fundamental case will be looking at how the non-profit has a leadership team that is neglecting every point of good governance. While this is a “Hail Mary” pass, it is also the best avenue for moving forward at this time. We are hopeful that this case can be reviewed by a judge in the courts who can then replace the leadership through a court injunction. If you haven’t yet, PLEASE donate at https://www.gofundme.com/MAO-Leadership-ChangeFund

2. SECEDE- To continue the Civil war analogy, if option 1 doesn’t work, then we will move on to Option 2. This involves state organizations “seceding” from the Miss America Organizarion and banning together for a “new” program. The idea would be for all state organizations to take their local organizations with them and let’s either start a new national pageant, or have all state winners go to an existing national competition like Sweetheart. This option would still keep all state and local pageants “in tact,” but just wouldn’t send the state winners on to Miss America. Of course some states would probably stay in Gretchen’s system, but many would deflect and stay with our friends who have also decided to secede.

3. SCATTER- If options one and two fail, then Option 3 is to scatter. Many people will leave the Miss america system altogether in masses (and some have already started to do this, but many others are waiting and donating to see if we might could pull off saving the organization. Some states might continue their pageant alone and not connected to anything, some would stay with Gretchen. Some will close altogether. Gretchen will try to replace all state EDs as resignations happen, while others jump ship and join Miss USA and Miss World systems.

Still hoping for #1 Option and that we #savemissamerica.
Replies:
Subject: Has anyone ever won a festival pageant and then won state? And what is a festival pageant compared to a local?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:33:39 10/08/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Can someone list all the Miss America candidates talents and songs they performed to?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:14 10/09/18 Tue

Can someone list all the Miss America candidates talents and songs they performed to?
Replies:
Subject: Preliminary talent winners at Miss America

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:54:53 09/30/18 Sun

I can not think of others besides one, who was a preliminary talent winner at Miss America but did not make the semi-finals, beside 1989's Miss South Carolina, Kimberly Bryant, a classical vocalist.

Are there other preliminary TALENT winners who missed out as a named semi-finalist--be it top ten some years or top 15?? List names and state titles, as can only think of the 1989 example.
Replies:
Subject: Miss America's who have changed their talents.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:17:56 10/07/18 Sun

Who has done this and then won Miss America?
Replies:
Subject: She said on Sway in the Morning and I want to say at least one other place that she loved not having to put on a swimsuit to win scholarship money. Nia IS super competitive and, as such, will play the game however she needs to. She knew what to say and when/how to say it.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:40 10/07/18 Sun

Subject: Was Shea Sullivan the choreographer for any of the Miss America contestants in September?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:39:53 10/02/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: I don't care squat about Miss America Org any more. I do enjoy the friends and acquaintances I have made on this board over the many years. That's the only reason I visit. Enjoy all the humorous posts.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:58:56 10/06/18 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone know the name of the font used on the new sashes?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:50:53 09/30/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Trademark of Miss America

Author:
HCS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:09 10/04/18 Thu

I'm not a trademark attorney, but I got curious when I was looking at the Miss TN discussion today. When I searched the trademark database for "Miss America," I saw several trademarks for the wording, many of which were dead and some of which were live. I'm not sure if the educational trademark for Miss America is still live (it is for MAOT), but thought it was something people may want to look into, as well as the trademarks for individual pageants.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield
Replies:
Subject: So G has always been unmanageable.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:30:19 10/04/18 Thu

Subject: California is advertising city Local Preliminaries using the 2.0 format...still confused...California has the new format but my state doesn’t. Annoyed!,

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:15 10/04/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Directing a Teen Local

Author:
MissGar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:37 10/01/18 Mon

Is it a possibility that the MAOTeen Org will allow us to JUST run OT locals with MAO now being in shambles? I’m interested in directing a Teen Local but I don’t even know where to begin and I’ve reached out to a Local here and haven’t heard back.. can anyone help?
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2] ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.