VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]

Pageant Guru Message Board

Not affiliated with any pageant system

No Bashing and No Political Discussions

State Websites Social Media Message Boards Community

Subject: The state picked by you for today was WYOMING!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:19:39 11/07/16 Mon

Honestly, there isn't too many interesting facts or questions to be asked about WY. But who else on here thought that Lexie Madden, WY 2012, would go far at Miss America?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Is North Dakota a tough state? My daughter moved to Fargo and is thinking about competing. She has had one MN title and several times as first r/u and interview winner. thoughts

Author:
never been to a pageant in ND
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:31:49 11/11/16 Fri

Replies:
Subject: Was announced yesterday that Laura Kaeppeler Fleiss is the new ED of the Miss Kenosha Pageant. I think this is great news, because I know the pageant was struggling in finding a director. But I'm curious to know how she will do this while living in California.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:37:13 11/20/16 Sun

Replies:
Subject: The state chose today is NORTH CAROLINA!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:02 11/16/16 Wed

I hope NC can start to make it far again at Miss America. This is a state that I feel has so many amazing women to offer, they just need a bit more preparation to be polished for M.A. I can say my favorite Miss NC by a landslide is Michelle Warren. I feel she embodied everything that M.A. stood for in 1997/98. My other favorite NC winners are Susan Lawrence, Jessica Jacobs, and Hailey Best.

Replies:
Subject: Six decades later, UI apologizes to former ‘Miss SUI’

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:33:46 11/20/16 Sun

Jeff Charis-Carlson , jcharisc@press-citizen.com 6:44 p.m. CDT November 3, 2016

It took more than six decades, but the first black student to be named “Miss State University of Iowa” finally received official recognition and honor from a university president Friday.

“Dora Martin Berry of the University of Iowa, I would first like to apologize for 60 years plus of official neglect of your status,” UI President Bruce Harreld said Friday in an event honoring Berry and other black alumni from the 1930s to the 1960s.

“We as an institution are very proud of your accomplishments,” Harreld continued after a standing ovation for Berry. “And we’re grateful that you are such an important member of our Hawkeye family.

Berry was 17 when her fellow students elected her in the annual contest in December 1955. The university at that time was referred to by its legal name, State University of Iowa.

She has said she didn’t immediately recognize the historic importance of having a black student be elected to such an honor at a predominantly white university in the Midwest. But her election became a featured story in national magazines, as well as in newspapers across the state, country and world.

The Daily Iowan story after her election featured the headline, “Nation Knew of Her Title Before SUI Did.”

Berry was named "Miss State University of Iowa" in 1955 as a 17-year-old, but the university canceled nearly all of her public appearances. University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld has apologized to her for the school's past actions.

“Unfortunately, the university administration never officially recognized or even acknowledged her victory or her status,” Harreld said. “The best they could do at that time was to offer an official ‘no comment,’ since they said the election was a student matter, not part officially of the university.”

But UI administrators at the time went beyond silence. Berry was denied representation as Miss SUI at official university events and later events at which the campus queen would traditionally appear were fully canceled.

“To this day, the University of Iowa has not officially acknowledged Dora Martin’s achievement in winning Miss SUI of 1955, so I’d like to rectify that decades-long wrong,” Harreld said.

Friday’s panel discussion was part of a series of events this week focused on the publication of a new essay collection, “Invisible Hawkeyes: African Americans at the University of Iowa during the Long Civil Rights Era,” by UI professors Lena and Michael Hill.

"In the 1950s, white universities weren't electing black campus queens every day," Berry wrote in her chapter of the new book. "Therefore, UI's inability to accept that it had created an environment where that could happen made me think 'shame on them.'"

Berry, now 78, thanked Harreld for his “heartfelt” apology Friday and said it was still meaningful to hear after all these years.

Harreld also thanked the Hills for bringing helping to bring such a spotlight to stories of Berry and other students.

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:23:53 10/21/16 Fri

Replies:
Subject: The state chosen today was NEW JERSEY!

Author:
Mae
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:09:33 11/13/16 Sun

I thought I'd shed some light on Suzette Charles, former Miss NJ/Miss America who took over after V. Williams was dethroned. How did the fans react to her becoming the new winner though it was only short lived? Was she liked? I hate to say it, but I remember she came off to me as just gloating with the title. Though not much time, she didn't try to do anything special. And tried to not give any credit to V back then, whether MAO told her to do that or not, it's still not giving credit for the first 10 months. Everyone should get credit if they fulfilled a certain part, just like in a movie, not defending V's actions. It may have changed now, but it's how I felt remembering her interviews with the media then. Anyways, my favorite NJ winner is Suzanne Plummer and the current Brenna Weick. And as always, RIP Cara McCollum.... Taken way too soon. Fly high!

Replies:
Subject: Miss America vocal talents

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:59:57 11/14/16 Mon

In your opinions, what vocal performances at Miss America have been the best? Should a state titleholder opt for an entertaining broadway type song or ballad?

Replies:
Subject: I wasn't able to get on here after I posted it yesterday, but the state picked for yesterday was VIRGINIA!

Author:
Mae
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:17 11/12/16 Sat

VA is a state that I always watch for at Miss America because there winners are always usually pleasant surprises. My favorite titleholder is Caitlin Uze. She really was EVERYTHING! Had she competed the year after she did with a fresh, different panel of judges, I feel she would have won. K Glakas and H Kiefer are close behind but had certain area in competition they lacked. Of course the M.A. winners from VA are special favorites.

Replies:
Subject: Can someone please post/explain the rules on giving away more than one title at a local pageant?

Author:
Please!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:00:00 11/15/16 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Yesterday's state chosen was OHIO!

Author:
Mae
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:00:47 11/15/16 Tue

Ohio seems to have many winners who seem to succeed very well in talent. My favorites Susan Perkins, Jacqueline Mayer, Susan Banks, Mackenzie Bart, & current Alice Magoto (who I thought should have won and was shocked she didn't even make first cut)

Replies:
Subject: Beautiful photo of Betty with fiancee Spencer Maxwell the night he proposed

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:51:48 11/12/16 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Please help me sell this dress! Paying down wedding debt :)

Author:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201720100365?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:48:27 11/16/16 Wed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201720100365?

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:45:08 10/21/16 Fri

Love my job as Miss Texas! Last night I traveled on horseback with Sir Richard Branson to the groundbreaking of the new Virgin Hotel of Dallas. Side saddle and in a gown... — with Richard Branson and Caroline Carothers at Virgin Hotel, Dallas TX Ground Breaking Ceremony.

Replies:
Subject: Here She Is

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:49 11/04/16 Fri

Replies:
Subject: NY Contestants

Author:
PageantGuru
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:28:03 10/12/16 Wed

Abdagic, Amanda (Revere) (2016)(2013)
Bolella, Rose, (Manhattan) (2016-People's Choice)
Chambers, Cedar (Pride of New York) (2016-Miracle Maker Award)
Chandak, Neetu (Seneca Falls) (New)
Davis, Ashley Marie (Richmond County) (2016)(2015-Top 10)
DeLuca, Allison (Staten Island) (New)
Federhen, Alexina (Metropolitan) (New)(2014-VTOT; Most Photogenic in Orlando)(2013-Miss Vermont High School America)(2012-USA Ambassador Jr Teen)
Grant, Olivia (Thousand Islands) (2014)
Hollingsworth, Brittney (Brooklyn) (New)
Manuel, Madison (Mohawk Valley) (2015)(2014)
Meadowcroft, Stephanie (Greater NYC) (MD - 2016-1st R/U, Overall Talent Award, Prelim SS and Talent Awards)(2014-3rd R/U)(2013-3rd R/U)(2012-Top 10)(MDOT - 2009)
Molella, Lauren (Copper City) (New)(2011 - NYOT)
Perpich, Mackenzie (Queens) (2016-4th R/U)(2015-4th R/U, Prelim Talent Award, Overall Interview Award)
St. Jean, Taisha (Apple Festival) (New)
Silen, Emma (Cosmopolitan) (2015)
Sinisi, Meghan (Central New York) (2016-2nd R/U, Prelim Talent Award)(2015-NFT Award)
Zesky, Nina (Liberty) (2016-Top 11, MAO Community Service Award)(2015-2nd runner up, NY Sweetheart, Top 15 @ National Sweetheart)(2014)

Last edited by author: Mon November 14, 2016 14:33:12   Edited 7 times.

Replies:
Subject: Some love for six of this year's coolest gowns!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:58:53 11/12/16 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Miss DC Prospective Contestant Information Session to be held on November 19 at American University

Author:
Jim Lindsay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:33:30 11/09/16 Wed

Dear Prospective Contestants for Miss DC 2017,

I am writing to let you know about the 64th annual Miss District of Columbia competition, an official preliminary to Miss America! While not all of our 2017 dates have yet been finalized, we can offer the following information at this time.

The Miss DC Organization does not have local competitions that lead to the Miss DC pageant. Instead, we hold auditions that consist of a four-minute interview and a 90-second talent presentation before two separate panels of judges. Based on audition scores, approximately twenty finalists are selected (there is no fixed number of contestants; the number is based solely on the performance level of those who audition). This year’s auditions will take place on Sunday afternoon, January 29, 2017 at the Katzen Arts Center at American University, with pre-assigned time slots for those who submit their applications by the January 22 deadline.

Our 2017 Miss DC competition will take place in June at the Howard Theatre at 620 T St., NW (exact date to be announced). The winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship and the opportunity to represent DC throughout the year, including at the 97th annual Miss America Pageant live on ABC next September in Atlantic City, N.J. (the winner of which receives a $50,000 scholarship). The four runners-up at Miss DC will receive scholarships as well. And, this year, up to another 20 contestants will each receive a $250 scholarship. Forty-five% of a contestant's final score is based upon a 10-minute private interview with a panel of seven judges (25%) and a response to an on-stage question before a live audience (20%). Another 30% is attributed to her performing arts talent (e.g., vocal, dance, instrumental, monologue, etc.). The remaining 25% is comprised of evening wear (15%) and physical fitness in swimsuit (10%). At the Miss DC competition, $1,000 scholarships are also given for academic achievement and for community service. All contestants are expected to select a "platform" issue, or social cause, with which they will work should they be selected as Miss DC. In addition, the Miss America and Miss DC Organizations partner with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, and Miss DC makes frequent visits to children and their families at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

On November 19, 2016, from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m., we will hold an information session for all interested young women who believe they may like to audition for Miss DC. This will take place at American University in the School of International Service (SIS), Room 113. Please RSVP to Jim Lindsay at jglindsay@hotmail.com. This session is not mandatory, but is highly encouraged, even if one has been a previous Miss DC contestant. Attendance at this meeting does not obligate one to audition in January.

Please complete and submit the Prospective Contestant Information Form: https://missdc.org/become-a-contestant/contestant-form/. This will add you to our database for future updates about our 2017 competition.

For our 2017 pageant, contestants must have been born AFTER December 31, 1992 (i.e., birth year of 1993 or after) and be at least 17 years old and a high school senior at the time of our pageant (not the auditions). As always, contestants must live in DC itself (not its surrounding suburbs), physically work full-time in DC (at least 32 hours per week), or attend school in DC as a full-time student. Students must have completed at least one semester as a full-time student within the last year and be currently enrolled or maintain full-time student status at the time of the Miss DC pageant. Women who have just graduated from college in spring 2017 remain eligible. Washingtonians who are studying outside of DC remain eligible to compete if their family retains a residence in DC. All of the above categories of eligibility must be proven with supporting documentation, using the Eligibility Checklist found on our website.

For more information, please visit our website, www.missdc.org, and click on the "Become a Contestant" tab.

If you have any questions at this time, please feel free to email me at jglindsay@hotmail.com. Otherwise, we will keep you informed as our 2017 plans are finalized.

We hope to see you at the November 19 information session!

Sincerely,

Jim Lindsay
Chair, Contestant Recruitment Committee
Miss District of Columbia Scholarship Organization, Inc.

Replies:
Subject: See the tour schedule for Kate Shindle in Fun Home.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:11:26 11/14/16 Mon

http://funhomebroadway.com/

Replies:
Subject: So proud of Kate Shindle

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:16 11/14/16 Mon

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/TV-Kate-Shindle-Talks-About-The-Power-of-FUN-HOME-Following-Presidential-Election-20161112#

Replies:
Subject: NM Contestants

Author:
PageantGuru
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:53 10/20/16 Thu

Blair, Brandi (Sacramento Mountains) (2016-3rd R/U)(2015)(2014-Top 10)
Cupps, Alexis (Roosevelt County) (2016)
Linde, Amelia (Albuquerque) (2016-2nd R/U)(2014-Prelim SS Award)
Moseley, Ashley (Sandoval County) (New)
O'Connor, Raini (Cloudcroft) (2016)
Smith, Rene (Eastern New Mexico) (New)
Taylor, Leah (Portales) (2016)

Last edited by author: Tue November 15, 2016 00:09:27   Edited 4 times.

Subject: Local/State Interviews

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:45 11/14/16 Mon

I am helping my friend prepare for her first local. I competed in some other systems but don't know what to expect in a local or state miss america interview. I could only find a few interviews on youtube. Does anyone know of annywhere else to watch online or hve any other interview tips. Thanks lovelies!

Replies:
Subject: OH Contestants

Author:
PageantGuru
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:13:24 10/05/16 Wed

Atchison, Bry (Maple City) (SC-2016-T15)(OH-2015)(2013-SC)
Chrisman, Matti-Lynn (Akron Canton) (2015)
Clapper, Sarah (Clayland) (2016-4th R/U,Prelim SS Award)(2015-3rd R/U, Prelim SS Award)(2014-Top 10, Theresa Ann
Hitchens, Amelia (Northwestern) (2016-Top 11)(2015-Top 10, Prelim SS Award)
Wagner Commitment to Excellence Award)(2013)
Wiers, Paige (North Coast) (2016-Top 11)
Ulasevich, Karolina (Miami Valley) (2016-2nd R/U)(2015-2nd R/U, Overall Interview Award, Community Service Award)
Tumbusch, Hanna (Lake Festival) (New)
Zimmerman, Hannah (Montgomery County) (2016-1st R/U, Prelim SS Award, Spirit Award)(2015)

Last edited by author: Mon November 14, 2016 07:11:39   Edited 6 times.

Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]34 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.