VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345 ]

Pageant Guru Message Board
State Websites Social Media Message Boards Community
The Week Courtesy of Ernie Koneck
The Road to Miss America Board Courtesy of yrralh
Ascent from Obscurity by Lavern Cameron
Amazing Win, Amazing Loss: Miss America Living Happily, EVEN After by Angela Perez Baraquio
Being Miss America: Behind the Rhinestone Curtain by Kate Shindle

Subject: Past contestant question

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:08 10/18/14 Sat

This posting about this year's tallest and shortest Miss America contestant yielded a reply that it was Miss Nebraska (the tallest at 6'0") and Miss Indiana (the shortest at 5'0").
http://www.voy.com/229344/2/241780.html

I am curious to know, who were the All-time tallest and shortest who competed at Miss America in Atlantic City and/or Las Vegas?

As for tallest, which were the tallest and who else were equal or taller then these three:

North Carolina 1963, Jeanne Swanner
New York 1980, Cheryl Flannigan
Montana 1988, Rebecca (Becky) McRea
Nebraska 2014, Megan Swanson

And no idea about the shortest--besides maybe Miss Connecticut 1980,Jeanne Caruso, who had the bad luck of standing next to towering but beautiful Miss New York, Cheryl Flannigan in the top ten of the 1980 Miss America pageant...producers did not think about the appearance of the shortest and tallest contestant in the top ten standing next to each other, that made Cheryl look all the more tall, and Jeanne more petite. Remember that embarrassment?

Who else (and in what order) were the tallest and shortest contestants from 1921 to 2014 (and their height if known for sure)??

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE MISS AMERICA ORGANIZATION

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:09:10 10/17/14 Fri

Local pageant season is in full swing and the Miss America Organization (MAO) has provided strict guidelines for crown etiquette. What is appropriate etiquette for visiting queens attending local pageants?

All MISS, TEEN and PRINCESS titleholders affiliated with MAO are invited to attend a local Miss America preliminary pageant for free - provided they are wearing their current official MAO Crown & Sash.

Titleholders in national pageant systems not affiliated with MAO (Ex: Miss USA/Universe, International, United States, NAM, etc.) are welcome to attend the pageant by purchasing a ticket. These same non-Miss America affiliates are not allowed to wear a crown since there is no connection with MAO. Wearing a sash is optional.

Local community princesses and queens not affiliated with MAO, and not affiliated with a national pageant system are welcome to wear their crown & sash, but must pay for their ticket.

Replies:
Subject: Angel Blue in "Porgy and Bess" on PBS

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:38:34 10/17/14 Fri

Some PBS stations are broadcasting a production of Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess" recorded live from San Francisco Opera.

The role of Clara is sung by Angel Blue, former contestant in CA and NV. Clara opens the show with "Summertime."

Replies:
Subject: Ernie Got me going. My ideas for the telecast.

Author:
mouth of the south
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:29:32 10/17/14 Fri

I agree with Ernie on how the pageant outcome should a bit more understandable to the public. Here is how I think we can, in a realistic way, make that happen.

Opening- There is something so exciting about seeing all the contestants dancing onstage. A fun opening number with lots of choreography to a mix-up of the hottest hits during that time would be amazing.

Intros- Each contestant will introduce herself and her major(with the name of her College on the screen under her title so she won't have to say it) without the cheesy "From the state..." parts.Stating their majors would show how smart and accomplished they are. If the cheesy intros were cut out that would leave so much more time, at least 10-15 minutes, for something else in the show.

Semifinalists- I do agree that a top 15 should be kept, but only a top 15. Not a top 16. No gimmicks . Give the America's choice winner a prize package or something. As each top 15 semifinalist is called, show a snip it of a good moment of that contestant in interview, talking about how she has benefited from the MAO. That way there will be diverse responses instead of just focusing on scholarship amount, many will state scholarship amount they've received, Confidence growth, perseverance, Health and fitness development, impact of platforms, and so many other ways.

Top 15 competes in swimsuit, then announce the top 10 from there. Let the top 10 compete in talent. It does not have to always go Swimsuit, Evening gown, then talent. Many state pageant hold talent in the middle and it works out fine. After talent, let the top 10 compete in Evening gown.

After EG, the top 10 will change into their cocktail/interview dresses for OSQ. From the top 10, pull the top five, ask them the questions, competition over. Easy. Not too many confusing gimmicks, eliminations, and other stupid stuff. Miss America is not a reality show. The Oscar's and the Tony's are iconic award shows that are modern, but still have a way of keeping their class and elegance of their shows in tact, and their ratings are wonderful. Let Miss America do the same.

Replies:
Subject: Message for Kate Shindle

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:30:30 10/20/14 Mon

Hey Kate! Watching videos of you sing on Youtube. Can you upload your Miss America talent to youtube? As someone who was a baby when you won, i'm dying to see it.

Replies:
Subject: What are the rules to be an LED? I would NEVER be an LED in the State I live in but do work in another state.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:36:07 10/18/14 Sat

Replies:
Subject: MAOSAC

Author:
---
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:33 10/18/14 Sat

Since it was stated that these are one-year appointments does that mean that a different set of states will be chosen next year or only that a different person will represent the same states already chosen?

Replies:
Subject: Subject: in the archives: The Beautiful Miss TX in her final night gown at Miss America

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:15:04 10/19/14 Sun

That gown is really very beautiful on her. Can anyone tell what kind on material it's made out of? Or does anyone actually know?

Replies:
Subject: I decided that I am tired of complaining and doing nothing to correct the problem. I emailed the New Jersey Attorney General's office this morning. I officially stopped donating to local and state pageants until the problems are fixed. What else can I do to help save this program? I will do what I can. I have loved Miss America since I was five years old. I am now 47 and it sickens me to see what it has become.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:43 10/17/14 Fri

Replies:
Subject: Are your local numbers down?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:54:30 10/13/14 Mon

We had 2 locals in Kentucky this past weekend. Last year the numbers resulted in 6 queens crowned for the exact same 2 locals. This year only 2 queens crowned. Very unfortunate.

Replies:
Subject: Thanks for adding the Define Twitter to the Community links

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:26:23 10/15/14 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Who were the NF talant and interview winners this year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:20:57 10/16/14 Thu

Replies:
Subject: The new Miss NY is a great twirler. Video included

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:16:17 10/15/14 Wed

http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/story/new-miss-new-york-twirls-at-su-game-against-her-al/22125/eWWBQ2BWJkSdZJb0E6Xl8A

Replies:
Subject: Just saw a picture with a girl as "Miss Kool-Aid Days." So kooky! What other kooky titles are there that go on to their respective state competitions?

Author:
Celia Fo'realia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:09:31 10/14/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: The master message of the chat with Kate Shindle is in the archives so that it may be maintained as is. I do want to discuss some of her answers.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:26:20 10/09/14 Thu

Replies:
Subject: What was the title of the book that was sold at the Trade Show by Caressa Cameron's mom?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:36:37 10/15/14 Wed

Replies:
Subject: I LIKE OLD SCHOOL FORMAT

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:31:43 10/15/14 Wed

Top 10 in swimsuit, gown, talent and then announce top 5. Q & A and announce runners up and winner. It's simple, it works.

Replies:
Subject: 5.5.8 has been added to this section

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:17 10/14/14 Tue

5.5 Appointment of the Miss Organization as Exclusive Agent and Representative. Commencing with my selection as Miss and throughout my Year of Service and until my successor is selected or appointed, I irrevocably constitute and appoint the Miss Organization as my sole and exclusive agent, representative and attorney-in-fact with the authority to:

5.5.1. act for me and in my interests throughout the world for the making of all press releases or other public statements to the media;

5.5.2. sign, make, execute and deliver all contracts in my name in connection with my business or other affairs as Miss during my Year of Service, whether they be contracts for my performance at theatrical, artistic or commercial engagements or other personal appearances, and undertake commitments in my name for the satisfaction of my obligations pursuant to those contracts;

5.5.3. sign, make, execute and deliver all contracts in my name in connection with any appearances or other obligations which are related to my service as Miss which are to be fulfilled after the completion of my Year of Service, provided that I have consented in writing to the terms of such contracts;

5.5.4. determine the appropriate compensation that I shall receive for appearances or other activities related to my Year of Service.

5.5.5. collect and receive for and on my behalf all proceeds, monies or other compensation that is due or to become due to me by reason of any performance, service, appearance, engagement or contract;

5.5.6. choose and designate my Tour Manager(s);

5.5.7. select the appropriate modes of public or private transportation for me and my Tour Manager(s), including the determination of the appropriate levels of travel service; and

5.5.8 determine the best method of preparing me for the next level of competition. I understand that the organization does not endorse nor promote the use of individuals nor businesses who act as pageant coaches, etc., whether they are paid or offer services at no charge. I agree to work with my organization and refrain from the use of pageant coaches in preparing me for competition.

Replies:
Subject: I would like to learn about the most successful local pageant in each state and why it is successful? Scholarships? Long term volunteers? Community Support? REcruiting strategy? State pageant success? All of it with details. Perhaps then some new or older locals who lost enthusiasm could read about some best practices and adopt them thereby strenghtening the program from the bottom up. Anyone want to start?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:41:41 10/14/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: I don't know if someone has pointed this out yet but there's a Wikipedia page already for next year's pageant and it's claiming that Belize will send a representative to compete. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:22:11 10/14/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Miss Alaska

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:17:04 10/14/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Miss America Scholarships - In the News

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:22:44 10/04/14 Sat

http://time.com/3418349/john-oliver-miss-america-pageant-scholarships/

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/john-oliver-blasts-miss-america-over-scholarship-claims-on-last-week-2014229

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2014/09/john-oliver-skewers-scholarship-claims

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/satirist-john-oliver-blasts-miss-america-scholarship-claims-20140924-10l6vp.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2014/09/26/scholarships-do-not-make-beauty-pageant-a-charity/

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/09/the_miss_america_scholarship_sham_editorial.html

Replies:
Subject: Congratulations to Brooke Ludemann, Miss Kool-Aid Days

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:04:43 10/14/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Great Prelim coverage from Miss America 2015. Based on Miss MS and Miss LA but includes all prelim winners and other things

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:18:41 10/06/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: To answer some questions

Author:
lexis-PA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:39:23 10/14/14 Tue

Someone had posted a question asking if I was coming back to MAO Class Updates. I posted a response but that was the same night as Kate's chat so it was pushed back.

I have not abandoned MAO Class Updates and my absence has been unintentional. Before I left for Miss America this year, I made a significantly large job change. I was at my previous job for 4 years and it thankfully allotted me a lot of time to work on MAO Class Updates. With my new job, I unfortunately don't have that privilege. So as I'm getting settled into my new career, I'm trying to find a place to fit MAO Class Updates in my life. I definitely don't want to give it up so I'm pushing really hard to get into a routine so I can put aside time to work on the page. Also, I just went under contract to buy my first home and I'm (hopefully) closing November 14th so with that added on my plate I've had to put it on a back burner for the time being. In addition, I won't be competing in USA this year. I like behind the scenes better. :)

I just wanted to let you all know what was going on and let you know that I'm not planning to let MAO Class Updates go anytime in the near future. It (and you) have been great to me. I feel horrible for my absence but sometimes life gets in the way. Thank you all for understanding and thank you for thinking of me and know that I have not forgotten about you!

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]345 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.