VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34567 ]

Contestants and EDs: If you see erroneous information posted about you or your organization, please click on the Contact Forum Admin to have the data corrected.
State Websites Message Bds Official MAO Links Community
Miss America Judges
Miss America National Contestants
Miss America Groupings
The Week Courtesy of Ernie Koneck
The Road to Miss America Board Courtesy of yrralh
Class of 2015 in Press of Atlantic City
Tony Bowls Photo Shoot
America's Choice Videos

Subject: Help with talent, please...

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:24:30 08/17/14 Sun

I am working with a young lady who, I am pleased to say, has a quite solid talent. To give you an idea of her abilities, I have heard her sing the following quite well, some nearly perfectly: I Am What I Am from La Cage Aux Folles; Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz; Home from the Wiz; a Julie Andrews medley, but lower key; Somewhere from West Side Story; Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas; Blue Moon of Kentucky; Orange Colored Sky; I Dreamed a Dream from les Miserables. You get the picture. All at least a solid 8 by my scoring. A pleasant change from my last couple of winners who had real difficulty with talent.

We are looking for a talent for state and don't want anything that has been overdone and are exploring options. Would you recommend one of these or something different? Do you think it a liability if the song is well known? Or not known at all? We are considering all recommendations.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: My Pre-Arrival Top 15

Author:
For the moment...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:28:24 08/18/14 Mon

Wisconsin
Alabama
Oklahoma
Connecticut
Virginia
Kansas
Georgia
New Jersey
Iowa
Ohio
California
North Carolina
Florida
Kentucky
Texas
Idaho (America's Choice)

Bubblers - Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Massachusetts

Replies:
Subject: Fact about the last decade of winners

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:35:16 08/19/14 Tue

They have all either their state in their first try or were constant TOP FIVE at state prior to winning.

With that record, who fits that trend this year ?

Replies:
Subject: RE;THE CHILDREN'S MIRACLE NETWORK

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:22:46 08/18/14 Mon

I am getting more than a little sick and tired of people complaining about the connection and arrangement between the Miss America Organization and the Children's Miracle Network. BOTH entities had to agree before the connection was set in stone. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Replies:
Subject: Tweet from Miss NJ

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:26:39 08/18/14 Mon

missnj2014
17 minutes ago
So far I've been having a blast at the Women's Worlds Congress in Hyderabad, India! Today I experienced my first monsoon rain and had the opportunity to listen to scholars from all over the world discuss their research surrounding global women's issues. Tomorrow I get to present my research!

Replies:
Subject: My Top 15 Based on Platform/Talent/A Miss America Look

Author:
Jodie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:08 08/18/14 Mon

Alabama
Oklahoma
Kansas
D.C.
New Jersey
Illinois
Idaho
California
Mississippi
Oregon
Kentucky
Texas
Arkansas
Missouri
Virginia

Top 5: Alabama, Kansas, NJ, Illinois, Mississippi

Replies:
Subject: What about Kansas? I watched her video and was impressed. She is beautiful and well spoken. Does she not have talent? Since no one is talking about her I am trying to figure out what is her weak area!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:25:35 08/18/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Theresa Vail News Article

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:45:54 08/19/14 Tue

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/first-miss-america-contestant-to-endorse-firearms-brand-franchi/#axzz3Aom69plc

Subject: Miss America 2015 Contestants

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:15:16 08/19/14 Tue

Subject: Miss Mississippi Send-Off

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:12:29 08/18/14 Mon

http://www.wapt.com/news/miss-mississippi-prepares-for-miss-america-pageant/27567784#!bFqbPW

Replies:
Subject: Miss Sweetheart Pageant

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:22:00 08/18/14 Mon

2014 National Sweetheart Pageant
•Monday, August 25, 2014
Contestants Arrive in Hoopeston
•Friday, August 29, 2014
Pageant Preliminaries
Pageant begins at 6:30pm at the Hoopeston Civic Center.

•Saturday, August 30, 2014
Pageant Preliminaries

•Sunday, August 31, 2014
Pageant Finals

There will be an awards ceremony following the end of the pageant.

Replies:
Subject: Miss Alabama

Author:
Jessica Leicht WTVY
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:42 08/18/14 Mon

#MissAlabama is talking to girls at Beverlye Magnet about dreaming big & never giving up!

Replies:
Subject: Who's going to benefit from this panel? A Commentary

Author:
Ernie Koneck
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:03:57 08/16/14 Sat

I had to laugh reading some of the instant analysis of who the judges panel would favor immediately after they were announced, in particular the notion that dancers would be heavily favored. To the best of my knowledge, and based on a little research, only the 2 DWTS judges (Donald Driver and Shawn Johnson) have any dance background. And I think it's worth noting that about 95% of the dancing they do on DWTS is partnered dancing, not solo - like MAO contestants - and those two are very different animals. In Shawn's winning season, and in her appearance on the all-star season, she never danced a style that any MAO contestant would dance, and the same is true for Donald. So yes, they understand the discipline it takes to be a good dancer, they understand some general aspects of good form, but their experience on DWTS doesn't give them any special expertise on ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary or any other dance style they'll see performed at the pageant.

So much for the dancers' advantage.

So, looking at each of the judges, who are they likely to favor?
Marc Cherry - he's probably seen every Miss America pageant in his lifetime (and so have I, but the older ones on video.) He was on the panel that picked Laura Kaeppler - but we have no idea if HE personally picked Laura. Maybe he preferred Jennifer Sedler? Noelle Freeman? Betty Thompson? Who's to say? For all we know Laura was 5th on his final ballot. But it was a very pretty top 5 in 2011, so I'm going out on a limb to say he's going to favor someone with facial beauty and who has good to excellent talent.

Lee Meriwether - She was crowned 60 years ago this September, and she has seen just about every one of her successors crowned ever since. The last time she judged Miss CA, Noelle Freeman was the winner. The last Miss America she judged was Katie Harman. Both were very talented; Noelle a beauty, Katie very attractive, and from what I heard, the only contestant to address in her interview how the role of Miss America that year would be different due to 9/11. I call that smart, savvy and most of all, compassionate.

Shawn Johnson - She was on the panel that selected another talented Miss A, Caressa Cameron. Caressa looked like a million bucks during prelims when Gaspar did her hair and makeup, less than a million on final night when she had to do it herself, and during her year, appearance was clearly an issue. I think a lot of it was MAO's fault for not giving her the time and money to have her hair done properly on a regular basis, so she had to resort to cheesy wigs. In any event, Caressa had a fab interview, though in retrospect some people think it was a a bit of a "bait and switch," that she wasn't the nice girl she played in competition. I'm trying to think how a Shawn with one year of judging experience and 4 more years of maturity will approach this pageant differently. I suspect she'll be more vocal in interview, she'll evaluate the contestants as peers rather than role models, and when it comes to talent, she'll go with whatever she finds entertaining. Which may not help the classically talented girls....

Donald Driver - I think will be looking for the girls with genuine commitment to their platforms, with personal stories of overcoming adversity, with good communication skills and charisma, and when it comes to talent, I think he, like Shawn, will score based on entertainment value.

Kathy Ireland - More than anyone else on the panel, she will be looking for natural beauty that the contestant has highlighted well with her hair, makeup and wardrobe choices, and good taste in those choices that flatter the contestant. When you've been a supermodel as long as she was, that stuff doesn't fly out of your brain the minute you retire. But as a smart and very savvy businesswoman, I think she's going to look for the girl that can market this program and take it the next level of awareness and participation. And like Donald, with her commitment to service, she will be looking at those contestants that sincerely demonstrate their commitment to using the Miss America title as an opportunity for service to others, not personal advancement for themselves.

Gary Vaynerchuk: This is the e-commerce guru and I hope he will be asking every one of the contestants how they can use social media to advance the Miss America program's awareness, participation, sponsorship, etc. I also think he will be looking for creative thinkers who have solved problems and issues in their lives in an innovative way, demonstrating that they have the skill to do the same on a bigger scale as Miss America or beyond. He will also be looking at how each of the contestants has created and developed her own personal brand, and how she stands out from the crowd. In short, I think he's a "big picture" guy, not focusing on individual competitions so much as the overall persona of each contestant - which could mean he may be gifting points in some on stage competitions to girls he's really interested in, and scoring down others who may have strengths on stage, but lack the overall persona of a standout contestant.

Gen. Anne Macdonald - As a career military person, she is clearly someone who values discipline, goal orientation and achievement, and maybe a sense of adventure. Her more recent post-military focus is in non-profit service, so platforms and a service orientation to the job of Miss America may play a big role with her as well. A far as traditional pageant beauty and talent go, she may be an "easy judge" and not very discriminatory, at least during prelims. But when it comes to final night, I think she will be quite the opposite, making clear distinctions between her favorites and the other semifinalists.

I haven't addressed physical fitness much in these reviews. My overriding sense is that there are very few contestants this year who won't look fit enough to be on the Miss America stage. However, girls with somewhat more athletic bodies may be favored a little over traditional thinner swimsuit winners. I don't think that's a bad thing at all; in fact, it may be a real positive development for MAO in the long run. It's just my gut feeling that what this panel will like in general are fit, athletic looking girls over thin, model looking girls (and that goes for Kathy Ireland as well as the rest of the panel.)

Replies:
Subject: Sam Haskell interview on BloombergTV

Author:
Jay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:10 08/14/14 Thu

Replies:
Subject: i agree as a parent of a Teen. I felt like they wanted us to give back all of my child's scholarship money - and when I say that back to the organization. I find it sickening after I found out that we raised money for CMN and that it went to MA. I would be okay wih it, but be honest. I lost respect for this organization and will not allow my child to compete again. I also came here because I am looking forward to reading this book. I guess my parenting skills were on high alert when I was in the system for a year.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:31:26 08/18/14 Mon

Subject: 2014 Miss Washington Fashion Show ~ Send Off

Author:
Jay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:48:18 08/10/14 Sun

Sunday, August 24 at 1:00pm
Renton Pavilion Event Center
233 Burnett Ave South, Renton, Washington 98055
Tickets: www.brownpapertickets.com/event/795156
No tickets will be sold at the door

Replies:
Subject: Miss America doll ???

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:11:45 08/18/14 Mon

Is there going to be an official Miss America doll this year like they had several years ago?

Replies:
  • no (NT) -- No name, 12:40:36 08/18/14 Mon
Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]34567 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.