VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

MAO Stakeholders Petition - Save the Pageant - Please Sign!

“The one thing we want to make clear is that the state’s petition has nothing to do with the elimination of the swimsuit competition, the #MeToo movement or resistance to change,” DeMarcus said. “It has everything to do with lack of communication, lack of transparency, misrepresentation of facts. Within a volunteer organization, your currency is belief in the cause and trust.”

State Websites Social Media Message Boards Community

Subject: FACTS....THE DISMAL FACTS

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:26:16 08/11/18 Sat

A section front story in a recent issue of The Wall Street Journal suggests that a nearly 100-year-old American institution, the Miss America beauty pageant, is in danger of folding due to lack of financial support. It has operated at a net loss for six of the seven years through 2016, and TV viewership, as reported by Nielsen, was 5.4 million for the 2017 airing on ABC, a decline of 70 percent from what it was in 1997.
The television network is in the last year of a three-year contract to broadcast the pageant. Whether it continues to do so after next month’s contest in Atlantic City (Sept. 9) is at best doubtful. There’s not much mere sentiment can do to override ratings.
In the early 1980s, more than 80,000 young women entered the contest whose rewards were the title of Miss America and $50,000 in tuition money. This year, fewer than 4,000 have entered.
Replies:
Subject: Special Awards at MAOT

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:50 08/13/18 Mon

These are copied directly from the email blast today from the MAOTeen national organization:

Top Two Instrumentalists: Jazzie Trotter, Miss Alaska's Outstanding Teen & Ashley Whipple, Miss Missouri's Outstanding Teen

Top Vocalist (Tie)- Cecilia Petrush, Miss Pennsylvania's Outstanding Teen & Morgane Grace Vigroux, Miss New Hampshire's Outstanding Teen

Top Two Dancers- Jessica Michelle Sales, Miss Florida's Outstanding Teen &
Three way tie- Rory Pan, Miss Georgia's Outstanding Teen; Cali Wilson, Miss Iowa's Outstanding Teen; and Cayla Kumar, Miss New York's Outstanding Teen

Non-Finalist Interview- Tia Henderson, Miss Nevada's Outstanding Teen

Non-Finalist Talent (Tie)- Cali Wilson, Miss Iowa's Outstanding Teen & Kayla Kumar, Miss New York's Outstanding Teen

Non-Finalist Evening Wear/OSQ- (Tie)- Cayla Kumar, Miss New York's Outstanding Teen & Peyton Newman, Miss Illinois' Outstanding Teen

Miracle Maker- Berkley Bryant, Miss South Carolina's Outstanding Teen

Spirit of America- Sophia Stark, Miss Hawaii's Outstanding Teen

Teens In Action- Ashley Whipple, Miss Missouri's Outstanding Teen
Subject: NO RUNWAY FOR MISS AMERICA.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:30 08/12/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Letter from many of the Forever Miss Americas ~

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:27:59 08/09/18 Thu

Dear Faithful Stakeholders, MASTA, Volunteers and Miss America Cara Mund,
We hear your concerned voices. We have seen the loss of your elected board members. We have witnessed more board members and staff resigning from the MAO office this summer. We continue to read newspaper articles that are not representing the organization in the best light. None of the other MAO leaders have lost so many board members and staff in such a short time.
We (former Miss Americas) were given a chance to replace the former Chairman and the whole board with our very own sisters. You have been gracious, giving us your support from the beginning.
When the scandal broke in December/January, we as former Miss Americas supported the appointment of two of our sisters for INTERIM co-chair positions. Our sisters were meant to serve only as interim board members. A national search was to be done for a new CEO who would have the experience and business acumen to carry us through such a crisis and bring our beloved Miss America Organization into a new century. We did not get that. Unfortunately, a majority of former titleholders who were voted onto the national board have stepped down or been removed, and our Chairwoman did not carry out the national search for CEO as promised. Instead, she selected the sole candidate for board consideration and together they have taken the organization in a direction that we do not condone.
While we supported our new leadership initially, we disagree with the way some decisions were made and communicated to the board, main stakeholders and public. We believe there should be an apology to the sponsors, volunteers and our state and local titleholders if anything was done purposefully or intentionally to divide our program.
Healing is absolutely needed. However, this current leadership still struggles to gain trust from those that they need: the volunteers and current contestants. The recent Associated Press article “Miss America Head Gretchen Carlson Seeks ‘Healing Process.’" is concerning as it brings to light issues intertwined with the pageant that must be heard and addressed in an open, honest and respectful way.
We apologize to you for the hardships you have had to endure as a result of our Chairwoman's and CEO's unsupportive decisions. We do not accept the inaccurate words about the sponsors and swimsuit competition. We want to convey our support to state directors, the class of 2019 contestants, MASTA, volunteers and our reigning Miss America. We insist that our current Chairwoman and CEO resign now, not after September 9. We honor our commitments to help the organization and lift up our volunteers and contestants.
This is not meant to be a personal attack on any one individual. Our hope is to unite in collaboration and lift the ideals of Miss America up higher than it has ever been before.
Sincerely,
Miss America 1984 Suzette Charles
Miss America 1991 Marjorie Vincent-Tripp
Miss America 1992 Carolyn Sapp Daniels
Miss America 1995 Heather Whitestone McCallum
Miss America 1998 Kate Shindle
Miss America 1999 Nicole Johnson
Miss America 2001 Angela Baraquio Grey
Miss America 2004 Ericka Dunlap
Miss America 2010 Caressa Cameron-Jackson
Miss America 2012 Laura Kaeppeler Fleiss
Miss America 2016 Betty Cantrell Maxwell
Replies:
Subject: FROM THE MOUTH OF REGINA: “Just because you have a voice doesn’t mean your particular opinion gets accepted,” Hopper said. “States are licensees. If I’m a McDonalds licensee and the corporate office decides, ‘We’re going to serve chocolate french fries’ and I’m sitting here saying, ‘I don’t want to serve chocolate french fries,’ well, you’re going to serve chocolate french fries.” So in essence, to hell with what state directors feel, it's OUR show and YOU have to tolerate it.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:16:48 08/08/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Miss America for Kids- Contestants listed from 12 years ago!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:07:02 08/12/18 Sun

Has anyone else notice that MAFK has contestants on from literally, over a decade ago. Girls that aged out, got married, had kids- plural, are still listed there!

Is this just an effort by MA to pad the number of contestants they claim are competing?
Replies:
Subject: I am so sick of seeing Gretchen's photo with all the Miss America news articles, rather than Cara's.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:34:23 08/12/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: There she goes, the Miss America pageant

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:58:20 08/11/18 Sat

https://www.postandcourier.com/opinion/commentary/there-she-goes-the-miss-america-pageant/article_e3a981e6-9c97-11e8-b777-27aa7f993182.html
Replies:
Subject: CEO Regina Hopper rejected that characterization, noting that state-level officials felt entitled to a veto power they did not deserve. “

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:11 08/08/18 Wed

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gretchen-carlson-critics-of-miss-america-changes-are-noisy-minority
Replies:
Subject: Cara's Instagram highlights now spell out "My Voice Will Matter"

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:40:15 08/10/18 Fri

Sorry if this has been posted before, but go check out @realcaramund. Her story currently has some rather ominous quotes/sayings and the highlights now spell out "My Voice Will Matter"

Seems like this year could be worse than some may have imagined
Subject: Someone posted that because of all the trouble Cara might not see all of her scholarship money. There should be some kind of contract or something in writing? And why doesn't Regina and Gretchen like her? It is extremely unprofessional for them to behave in this way; especially since Cara is a public figure and MAO being non-profit. There must be laws in place to protect Cara and others.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:29:10 08/08/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Something I have been wondering lately. Could a legal argument in the courts be made that GC and RH have so fundamentally changed the organization that they have created a new non-profit and therefore would not be entitled to the Miss America name and brand? I am thinking I remember there being some legal prescedence out there for this kind of thing. Also, since they have gone full force with Miss america 2.0 as the new name, I wonder if access to the rights of the name “Miss America” could be one in the courts once the 22 (or some of the 22) defect to start their own organization after Sept 9. It would be awesome for the 22 to get the rights to the name usage of “Miss America” and then GC and RH could keep running whatever program they want to into the future.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:36:19 08/07/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone know if the AG of NJ or the IRS would consider it fraud for an organization to claim that an employee of a related entity spent 50% of her/his time working on a foundation, where the foundation paid 50% of that person's salary BUT THAT PERSON DID NOT REALLY SPEND 50% OF HER/HIS TIME WORKING ON THE FOUNDATION? Would the person or persons who were on the boards of both entities and who came up with or approved that scheme be in legal jeopardy? Especially if they knew it was not true? Asking for a friend.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:04:51 08/09/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: I kid you not. “Just because you have a voice doesn't mean your particular opinion gets accepted," Hopper said. "States are licensees. If I'm a McDonalds licensee and the corporate office decides, 'We're going to serve chocolate french fries' and I'm sitting here saying, 'I don't want to serve chocolate french fries,' well, you're going to serve chocolate french fries."

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:41 08/08/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: I just spent 2 hours with a potential contestant. She read through the contract in its entirety and then bowed out......

Author:
25 pages is ridiculous. .
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:59:42 08/08/18 Wed

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.