|Subject: I realized with all of the arguing, there hasn't been a post pageant opinion!|
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 19:19:55 09/17/14 Wed
Forgetting about Red Cup-gate 2014, here are some thoughts about this year's pageant.
Top 15: I personally thought this was a solid Top 15. Last year there were some head scratchers, this year I could understand why the panel selected the 14 (excluding America's Choice). Surprise exclusions based on the board buzz: California, Kansas, Wisconsin, New Jersey. Unfortunately, with at least 20 girls who could have made the cut - some strong contestants were left standing. No huge shockers though.
I actually liked the swimsuits. It initially appeared that this year's class was overall weak in SS, but there were several fit girls in the Top 15. Of the 12 who moved on: there is only one girl I was surprised moved on (will remain nameless), I was not a CT fan - but thought based on body and face that she was one of the 12 strongest. Based on the little we did see, I have a feeling her interview was not as strong as other semi-finalists.
Talent: To someone who is an untrained dancer, pianist and has little vocal training, everyone sounded/looked decent. Keep in mind most of the viewers and judges are untrained. It is impossible for me to tell if AL was better than FL and vice-versa. MS started strong, but lost me in the end. I personally thought AL was entertaining and her exclusion from the Top 5 was more surprising to me. AR was nice, MA was good. After talent my Top 5 was MS, VA, AL, FL and AR. My jaw dropped when NY got the call.
Top 5: I think a lot of anger lies in the fact that virtually everyone had some combo of TX, MS, AL, FL and CT as the Top 5. Few people deviated from those 5. Some of these girls were just not the strongest on finals night. AR was a pleasant surprise. I am not surprised MA did so well; with her it was more of feeling like I didn't want her to win instead of thinking she couldn't win. Congrats to MA for breaking the Top 5. FL - not really a surprise. VA - I am from VA, I don't hide my bias. I was more surprised that more fans did not have her in the Top 5. An OT in one of the strongest OT programs, placed Top 10 (wasn't she Caressa's teen?), Top 5 in VA 3 times before winning and 1st RU her first year to Crot? That is a pretty great record. I just think VA stayed quiet after last year's experience.
Winner: Well, I didn't think NY would win. But a few days later I realize it is more of disappointment that VA didn't get their 4th Miss A than anything personal against Kira. Mallory will always be one of my favorite MAs and I personally feel Kira, while a different girl, has the best chance of mimicking Mallory's success. I know her talent, her talent, but the last truly talented MA was attacked on this board. There is no way to please everyone. I wish her the best of luck in an exciting year ahead.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- I like your analysis, but understand. There is one local in VA that got blamed for all of the hype that last year didn't turn out so well after the "local" was hyping their winner. But it wasn't the local. They didn't do it this year either, even though Courtney had that title (before). (NT) -- No name, 19:30:34 09/17/14 Wed
- What about evening gown? (NT) -- No name, 19:33:59 09/17/14 Wed
- Aw... from VA too and thought Courtney had it! I was more ticked with Ny winning... again... but know she'll be fine overall. (NT) -- So proud of Courtney!, 20:10:05 09/17/14 Wed
- As for not thinking NY would get the call after talent... the past 2 years, my angelic boyfriend sat through this pageant with me (I'm from NY, he's from MA where we both live). Each year, NY has won, so naturally I call him our good luck charm lol after she was called for Top 5, I told him he couldn't fall asleep until after OSQ and he said "Babe, after the red cup, I don't know how much power I have left." Then she won, and we re-watched the talent clip online. He said "Well, she DOES have a nice voice and at least she's getting the crowd involved, she looks like she's having fun and the crowd is too. But don't ask me to do this again next year. The red cup depleted my good luck reserves." (NT) -- We had a fun time watching lol, 21:54:29 09/17/14 Wed
- Not really on the talent analysis. Talent shows have dominated TV for over a decade now, the average Joe's and Janes watch AGT, AI, The Voice, DWTS, and SYTYCD. The audience knows what a great singer and dancer are. (NT) -- No name, 22:47:33 09/17/14 Wed
- And nore to the point, the pretty girls who want to make it as singers, actors, dancers, or TV hosts, no longer have to get attention and exposure by going through the pageant system. They go on one of those other shows. So the pool of pretty, driven, and talented women willing to put up with corrupt local/state boards, pageant drama, spending a small fortune on gowns and coaches, and having to learn how to debate political issues, is much smaller. So there are just going to be less talented girls (especially outside the sash states) competing at Miss America. (NT) -- pageant flan, 23:00:09 09/17/14 Wed
- great analysis (NT) -- No name, 08:06:20 09/18/14 Thu