VoyForums

Support VoyForums by visiting our sponsor, www.PainEase.com.

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

State Websites Social Media Message Boards Community

Subject: I posted earlier about my daughter getting ready to start in the MAOT division. What would your advice be for talent? I'm being COMPLETELY serious so please no bashing of this year's talents (we've had enough of that already) If it were your daughter, would you lean towards the classical route? Entertainment route? Also what types of activities/clubs would you recommend to encourage progress in interview. This is an honest question seeking honest advice and trying to have a topic that's not degrading. Thank you for the advice

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:08:45 09/23/14 Tue

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Why was Miss Indiana 1977 responsible for interview time changes?

Author:
d...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:33 09/20/14 Sat

Replies:
Subject: MAO, can we please do this = return to a system where the top scorer in each category wins. That's fair. This one has too many chances for errors. There should be no ballot until the top 5 at MA. We have seen so many great girls with top scores lose to mediocre girls over the years and get discouraged and drop out at the local level especially due to politics. Top scores only please!

Author:
Paraphrased from previous posters in the archives
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:20:21 09/23/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Colorful gowns on Miss America pageant

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:30:04 09/21/14 Sun

Replies:
Subject: John Oliver

Author:
Chris (Sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:10:17 09/22/14 Mon

Have you seen this horrible Claim by John Oliver?
So sad!

First, he uses Miss USA Footage and secondly, he fails to include Scholarship amounts from local programs.

This guy is a jerk!

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2014/09/john-oliver-debunks-the-miss-america-pageants-45-million-in-scholarships-claim/380572/#disqus_thread

Replies:
Subject: Kira

Author:
BreeZe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:12:47 09/21/14 Sun

Miss America Kira Kazantsev attends 8th Annual Clinton Global Citizen Awards at Sheraton Times Square on September 21, 2014 in New York City.

Replies:
Subject: Many folk seem to think a contestant using a "gimmick" in a talent presentation is something new and ghastly. Lest we forget, "gimmicks" have been used (successfully and not so much) for decades. In Texas, there was an opera singer who presented the Puppet Aria (I believe) dressed as a doll, standing on a pedestal. And in the 80's, Miss Michigan presented a karate routine stomping on glass all the way to the finals. What are some of the memorable talents both on state and national level? Personally, I think it was a brilliant move for Kira, not to mention memorable. And it paid off.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:30:11 09/22/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Question about Miss America Swimsuit...

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:11 09/18/14 Thu

I've been involved with a local for about 15 years, but we haven't had a State winner since Catalina became the SS sponsor.

How does this work? Are the girls able to order from an official catalog? Are they given certain choices directly from Catalina? Because it's clear these aren't the same suits sold in stores...are they then allowed to add hardware to them to bump up the look of them? And does that need to be approved prior to getting to Miss America (I would think it would)....

Replies:
Subject: Local pageants in the upcoming weeks

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:02:29 09/22/14 Mon

Kira's win definately seems polarizing within the Miss America Community. Some defend her win completely while some think the judges could have made a better choice. In light if this great divide, how might judging panels and contestants handle this in upcoming local pageants. Certainly contestants will be asked to comment about the various topics posted here. Do we think that the contestant responses will sway results seeing as this is still a highly charged and emotional subject within our MAO community? Will judges be able to score fairly when they themselves may feel passionately one way or the other?

Subject: We need some fun positivity on these boards..SO I'll start with a fun question, out of all of the MAOTeen contestants and MAO contestants this year, what were some of your favorite talents?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:16 09/21/14 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Did anyone watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver today? He had a segment on the Miss America pageant and how much they really give to young women in the form of cash scholarships. The total amount they gave out this past year only added up to about ~$400,000 in scholarships as opposed to the $45,000,000 they say they make available every year. I will post the video when it becomes available.

Author:
Dman ()
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:00:58 09/22/14 Mon

WARNING: LANGUAGE!

Last edited by author: Mon September 22, 2014 06:31:15   Edited 1 time.

Replies:
Subject: John Oliver

Author:
Pay Attention
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:58 09/22/14 Mon

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/9/22/6826325/john-oliver-miss-america-scholarship-math?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=voxdotcom&utm_content=monday

Replies:
Subject: Kate the Great strikes again.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:31:57 09/21/14 Sun

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/21/the-trashing-of-miss-america.html

Replies:
Subject: With all of the discussion about this pageant being won in the interview room, for me it raises one major question: are we TOO tough on these young ladies? I know that Miss America has to be an exceptional young lady, but seriously! There are SO many young women in society today, that are beautiful, talented, community and service minded, truly GOOD and upstanding young women...but who might just not be "rocket scientists". Is this organization now pushing these girls OUT? If I was a young lady competing today, I would feel incredibly defeated right now about my chances at the Miss America crown.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:13 09/20/14 Sat

Replies:
Subject: NEW SCORING SYSTEM

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:42 09/20/14 Sat

50% TALENT
15% SWIMSUIT
15% EVENING GOWN
20% INTERVIEW

I definately would have ALL contestants interviewed after they competed in talent, swimsuit, and gown. It makes sense, so it won't happen.

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:47:08 09/21/14 Sun

Subject: I do not think they need to change the scoring system. I think what they need to do is show 1 to 1 and a half minutes of the top 5's interviews. Then we would get it. They should also add a few statements from the charge to the judges. Finally, they should share the final night scoring guides and fact that the score range becomes 6 to 10. 10 is for those

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:36:00 09/20/14 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Miss America: TV loser, Twitter queen

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:39:53 09/21/14 Sun

Miss America isn't just being judged by a panel of experts, but also by TV ratings, hashtags and snarky tweets.

Kira Kazantsev was crowned Miss America Sunday night, and while the show's television ratings weren't the best, this year's telecast absolutely blew up on Twitter.

Still, up against NBC's "Sunday Night Football," the 88th annual beauty pageant only pulled in 6.7 million viewers, a broadcast low.

This was a 22% drop from last year.

But the show's social performance, over 300,000 tweets and over 48 million Twitter impressions, according to Nielsen, is comparable to other "live event TV" hits.

SyFy's "Sharknardo 2: The Second One" and NBC's "The Sound of Music Live," brought in around 68 million Twitter impressions each.

One of the ways the ABC broadcast created social buzz was through the use of small fact boxes that would appear in the corner of the screen. Each box gave a fun tidbit or piece of trivia about the life of each Miss America hopeful.

The boxes were reminiscent of Vh1's "Pop-Up Video," and gave the pageant some much needed social chatter.

It's very hard to prove a social media lift for live TV, especially considering last night's awful ratings, but Miss America was unquestionably relevant on Twitter. Arguably, it was even more fun to watch along with the Twitter chatter.

During the broadcast, New York Times media and culture columnist David Carr posted a tweet saying, "Am amazed at Twitter's ability to build a campfire around anything and start snarking/smiling/smartalecking #MissAmerica #HighLoWorld."

Carr has a point. Twitter can be a snarky place, but looking at how well the show plays there, Miss America would be smart to embrace social media more, because if ratings continue to tumble, it may be one of the pageant's few saving graces.

View this article on CNNMoney

Replies:
Subject: Photos from Miss America 2015 pageant

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:55 09/21/14 Sun

http://photos.denverpost.com/2014/09/14/photos-miss-america-2015-pageant/#1

Replies:
Subject: Has Road To Miss A been announced yet? If so, who won!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:56:47 09/20/14 Sat

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]4 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.