VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

State Websites Message Bds Official MAO Links Community
The Week Courtesy of Ernie Koneck
The Road to Miss America Board Courtesy of yrralh

Subject: The Questions

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:35:47 09/15/14 Mon

Miss Arkansas was asked by Shawn Johnson about whether there should be limits on use of guns by children. “I do think there need to be restrictions.”

Miss Florida was asked by Kathy Ireland about Ray Rice’s wife’s decision to stand by him. “I know that’s a very hard decision. But me personally? I don’t agree with it. … I don’t necessarily believe he deserves a second chance.”

Miss New York was by Lee Meriwether about women leaders in the Senate and what they should be taking a lead on. “I really believe that sexual assault in our military is an issue these women have got to fight for …”

Miss Virginia was asked by Anne Macdonald about the ISIS beheadings. “This is an absolute outrage… I feel it’s important for the U.N. to come together to decide.”

Miss Massachusetts was asked by Marc Cherry about sexual assault on college campuses. “This is something I have personal experience. My best friend’s roommate was raped… We need to talk about this in schools.”

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Last night's results

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:39:45 09/15/14 Mon

I am from Pa., and thought finally we would have a chance to make the top 15 due to Amanda Smith's fantastic talent. After all, we heard Sam rhapsodize over her singing in the post-preliminary award interview (he even said "I recognize talent.") When her name was not announced, I turned the channel. Granted, Miss Pa. did not have the "pageant" look, but she was quite lovely and had spunk. If talent is going to be so irrelevant to the MAO, then do away with it. Toss out the preliminary talent awards. I realize winning a preliminary award does not always guarantee a top 15 spot, but come on - Amanda had an amazing voice. On an ending note, we need judges who are not personal friends of Sam and his wife. When I read that Kathy Ireland and Sam's daughter had lunch on Friday, you can't tell me that they did not discuss who the Haskell's wanted for the win.

Replies:
Subject: FOR THOSE WHO MAY HAVE MISSED IT.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:01 09/18/14 Thu

Kira actually has a very nice voice. I would have preferred she just sing this song, or something else. The cup screamed teen talent.

Replies:
Subject: Serious Question

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:52:52 09/18/14 Thu

Given this year's winner, how do you think talent should be handled at state? Should an aria from a well known opera even be considered? Difficult piano or instrumental talents considered? For vocals, if the song is older than two years, should it be considered? This is a serious question from a local director. My contestant at state spent over $9000 to get there and she sang a song I instructed her to sing from an old Broadway musical. If I am advising contestants who are spending that kind of money, I need direction.

Replies:
Subject: Kira teaching Kelly and Michael to play the cup!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:55:20 09/17/14 Wed

http://bcove.me/d988osva

Replies:
Subject: 19 years ago...

Author:
Brenda Joan Vicki Lynn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:56 09/17/14 Wed

Interesting Miss America factoid I uncovered today. The last time the top 3 were all non-preliminary winners was in 1995 — Shawntel Smith (OK), Emily Orton (OR), and Paula Montgomery (AR).

I don't think it had ever happened before that, but my familiarity with the pageant only goes back to 1967 or so.... and in those years prelim winners almost always made top 10 and the overall winner was usually a prelim winner.

Replies:
Subject: Don't have a horse in this race, but want to share a couple of observations, having been a pagent follower for many years. The show this past Sunday night was boring. No way around that. The evening gowns were pretty universally bad; both in style and fit. The Catalina swimsuit tops were awful; anyone with a high-definition television could see the built-in cups, and lord help the girls who added padding. And the talents? Why in the world would MAO brag about being a program that recognizes talent and then present what was arguably the worst display of second-rate singers and hoofers ever seen on TV? If it all boils down to the interview, then drop the huge expense of putting on the pageant, and simply hold interviews for the job. The on-stage competition doesn't seem to count for much of anything.

Author:
won't be watching next year.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:21:35 09/17/14 Wed

Replies:
Subject: I realized with all of the arguing, there hasn't been a post pageant opinion!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:19:55 09/17/14 Wed

Forgetting about Red Cup-gate 2014, here are some thoughts about this year's pageant.

Top 15: I personally thought this was a solid Top 15. Last year there were some head scratchers, this year I could understand why the panel selected the 14 (excluding America's Choice). Surprise exclusions based on the board buzz: California, Kansas, Wisconsin, New Jersey. Unfortunately, with at least 20 girls who could have made the cut - some strong contestants were left standing. No huge shockers though.

I actually liked the swimsuits. It initially appeared that this year's class was overall weak in SS, but there were several fit girls in the Top 15. Of the 12 who moved on: there is only one girl I was surprised moved on (will remain nameless), I was not a CT fan - but thought based on body and face that she was one of the 12 strongest. Based on the little we did see, I have a feeling her interview was not as strong as other semi-finalists.

Talent: To someone who is an untrained dancer, pianist and has little vocal training, everyone sounded/looked decent. Keep in mind most of the viewers and judges are untrained. It is impossible for me to tell if AL was better than FL and vice-versa. MS started strong, but lost me in the end. I personally thought AL was entertaining and her exclusion from the Top 5 was more surprising to me. AR was nice, MA was good. After talent my Top 5 was MS, VA, AL, FL and AR. My jaw dropped when NY got the call.

Top 5: I think a lot of anger lies in the fact that virtually everyone had some combo of TX, MS, AL, FL and CT as the Top 5. Few people deviated from those 5. Some of these girls were just not the strongest on finals night. AR was a pleasant surprise. I am not surprised MA did so well; with her it was more of feeling like I didn't want her to win instead of thinking she couldn't win. Congrats to MA for breaking the Top 5. FL - not really a surprise. VA - I am from VA, I don't hide my bias. I was more surprised that more fans did not have her in the Top 5. An OT in one of the strongest OT programs, placed Top 10 (wasn't she Caressa's teen?), Top 5 in VA 3 times before winning and 1st RU her first year to Crot? That is a pretty great record. I just think VA stayed quiet after last year's experience.

Winner: Well, I didn't think NY would win. But a few days later I realize it is more of disappointment that VA didn't get their 4th Miss A than anything personal against Kira. Mallory will always be one of my favorite MAs and I personally feel Kira, while a different girl, has the best chance of mimicking Mallory's success. I know her talent, her talent, but the last truly talented MA was attacked on this board. There is no way to please everyone. I wish her the best of luck in an exciting year ahead.

Replies:
Subject: Miss Kansas

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:53:55 09/18/14 Thu

To those that were at the preliminaries, what do you think happened with Miss Kansas. I thought for sure she would at least make the Top 15. She has a very impressive resume, a great story, and I thought she would be competitive in the on-stage categories. I know that on one prediction list I read, the writer had her as his winner. I know there were probably a lot of contestants that probably were also deserving of advancing, (and unfortunately only 15 can)but I'm just curious what the thoughts were of others that were actually there and saw her in competition.

Replies:
Subject: MISS AMERICA RATINGS DOWN 25%

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:27 09/15/14 Mon

On ABC, Countdown to Miss America earned a 0.6 adults 18-49 rating, down 33 percent from a 0.9 for last year’s Pageant Confidential. Miss America Pageant notched a 1.5, down 25 percent from last year's 2.0 adults 18-49 rating for a broadcast telecast low.

Replies:
Subject: You Go, Nina!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:59:09 09/17/14 Wed

Miss America Org @MissAmericaOrg · 8h

We're proud of #MissAmerica 2014 @NinaDavuluri who has announced she'll be underwriting a #STEM scholarship for next year's competition!

Replies:
Subject: MA 2015 Results

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:04:14 09/17/14 Wed

Can anyone provide a link to the complete results?

I'm trying to find out who won Interview. Thanks.

Replies:
Subject: Kate Shindle live-tweeted the telecast last night and she OWNED it!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:22 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Very interesting

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:37 09/17/14 Wed

I noticed and several others brought this to my attention... just after the top 16 were announced and they brought the sister onto camera to take the instagram picture. They introduced her as "a semifinalist, Miss SC's sister." Do you think this was a mistake or the teleprompter knew the semifinalists before the live filming?? I've heard she was contacted by the producers on Sunday morning to be a part of the show..

Replies:
Subject: HERE'S THE PROBLEM, FOLKS (and it's not Kira)

Author:
Blogger1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:18:29 09/16/14 Tue

Folks,
The first thing that I would like to say is that Kira is not the problem. She entered a pageant and won. There's no funny business or conspiracy theory that involves her. She showed up, smiled, bubbled with personality, and now she is Miss America.

The enormous backlash against Kira isn't fair. Instead, it is important to direct frustrations at the judging process that selected her. This is a distinction that is very important. Otherwise all of our criticisms look like sour grapes and just pure ugliness.

The complaints of many, actually, are not ugly at their premise (though many don't know how to express their feelings without saying something rude about Kira). Instead, the complaints stem from great confusion as to how the Miss America pageant is judged. And it is this confusion which has gone viral...

When we sit down to watch a pageant, we expect to see a progression of momentum lead to a girl being crowned in the end. For example, we see girls look great in swimsuit, then we see stunning gown presentations, then we see talents that we like. As the field is narrowed, there should be a natural progression of those that stand out advancing to the next round. Yet that is what didn't seem to happen on Sunday night. And that is why we are so confused. And, sadly, some are angry and have become rude.

It is no secret that over the years, the one quality of a Miss America that transcends the decades is that she MUST be a great communicator. And very consistently, we have heard it said time and time again that the interview is the most important part of the pageant. While a poor interview should cost you a chance at the crown, a great interview should not guarantee you the crown.

From what the judges have said here and there, they fell in love with Kira in interview and just knew she was the one. Wait....what? You knew from interview that she was the "it" girl to take it all? But don't you want to see her in swimsuit? In gown? In talent? Oh.....no? You don't need to see her in these phases? What...you've also been instructed to take into account the girl's personality and interview when you score talent on finals night?

Oh wow. I'm confused.

It is one thing for interview to be the most important and critical phase of competition, but it is another thing for a girl's interview and personality to PURPOSEFULLY influence her talent score on Finals night. There is no integrity in this. To instruct judges to make sure you score your favorite girl high (even when she doesn't deserve it in a particular phase of competition) just because you want her in the final five so that you can "ballot" her to the crown...well that is just a lack of integrity in the judging process overall.

It all starts with the mysterious "Composite Score." While a girl could actually make the Top 15 in 15th place based on pure scores, everything can change when the judges do their secret meeting in which they give each finalist a "Composite Score." So if Sam instructs the judges to go with who you like the best and give her a 10 as your Composite Score, a girl can go from 15th place to 1st place in one magic minute. Just like that!

Then on finals night, a finalist (who was 15th place in preliminary scores but 1st in Composite Score) goes into finals and just has to stay in the Top 5 to make it to the final ballot round. And when instructed by the Chairman to keep in mind who you want to win and make sure you score them high, then yes, a girl who could have finished 15th in prelim scores (with a great interview but weaker in other phases) can be launched all the way to the title of Miss America.

All because of her fun, real personality, and that the judges just loved her the best and wanted her to win.

How confusing. You would think that more than one girl would have a great interview and be "in the running" for the crown, and that it would be the other three categories would be the deciding factor. But that would only be if the other categories are scored without bias to who the judge hopes will win.

Trust the process. After all, some of our very best Miss America's from years gone by were chosen by simply trusting the process.

Replies:
Subject: Smart and articulte girl. No reason now for a talent, swimsuit, or gown competition since there were at least 10 other girls more deserving. Just nterview the contestants for the J.O.B. and pick a winner. Stop the phoniess that ALL the rest means more than it does.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:00:47 09/17/14 Wed

Replies:
Subject: old school vs new school

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:32:34 09/16/14 Tue

What past Miss A winners were old school and which were old school? New
Mallory Hagen
Kira Kazantsev
and although it was 40 plus years ago Rebecca King.

Replies:
Subject: Final Night Judging Breakdown:

Author:
Adapt, or clap.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:44:35 09/15/14 Mon

For all those wailing and gnashing their teeth over the results, carefully consider this break down of the Finals night scoring, directly from the 2012 Official MAO Judges Manual. Stay with me...

There are 7 judges. Only 5 of their scores count because the high and low are dropped in all phases of competition, (Final Ballot is ranking process and all judges rankings count).
For finals, all scores, including Composite, are between 6-10 points. Therefore, there are between 30-50 points available for each phase of competition (before weighing).

composite = 30% 90-150 points
ss 20% = 60-100 points
eg 20% = 60-100 points
talent 30% = 90-150 points*

Total points at the start of Final Night Competition BEFORE ss = 90-150 points
Total points after ss = 150- 250 points
Total points after eg = 210-300 points
Total points after talent* = 300- 450 points
Total points for Top 5 = 0. All scores thrown out for Final Ballot RANKING.

*On the Final Night of Competition the Titleholder’s Job Description, responsibilities and duties are considered as part of the scoring for Talent.

Composite Scoring Breakdown: directly from the 2012 Official MAO Judges Manual.

“Now that I have seen this contestant in all phases of competition, does she posses the skills, qualities, and attributes to be this titleholder?”

When giving your Top “Ten” Composite Attributes score, consider ALL factors:

-The Job Description and the Responsibilities
-The Qualities and Attributes
-The Preliminary Phases of Competition
-Respective Criteria for Scoring

If CT, TX, ND, and ID did not impress in Interview, they could be walking into Finals with only 90 points. Even if they got stellar ss scores…

>> They weren’t eliminated because of their Finals night ss score alone, but the COMBINATION of ss with a (low) composite score.<<

Bottom line: they had the points in prelims to make it into the T15, but didn’t have the qualities the MAO stressed they were looking for (as reflected in the composite score).

As explained above, some girls could squeak through to the T12 with a weaker ss score than the ones cut because of a strong composite score. People get confused because they think the worst ss, then the worst gowns are eliminated, rather than those with the most total points are advancing. There’s a lot of room between 210 and 300 points to leave some great ss’s and eg’s out of talent, if they came in with low composites.

T10 Scoring Breakdown: *On the Final Night of Competition the Titleholder’s Job Description, responsibilities, and duties are considered as part of the scoring for Talent.

READ THAT AGAIN:

*On the Final Night of Competition the Titleholder’s Job Description, responsibilities and duties are considered as part of the scoring for Talent.

If a girl hasn’t demonstrated >in competition< THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY OF A MA— excellent communication skills— she’s NOT making T5!

The MAO does NOT want the American public to hear anything coming out of these girls mouths (and these are the only 5 girls they actually hear speak) that discredits the “Scholarship/STEM” branding. The worst thing that could happen is to have a Miss OK USA debacle, or another “Such As” award. Programmed, ‘say nothing’, outright botched OSQ answers would prove MA is the dumb, dated, beauty queen stereotype, especially with the talents that advance that are more about entertainment value than talent (cups, ventriloquism, screeching singers, and bad dance routines.)

Given all this, can you see why a girl who is so disarming and comfortable in her own skin, especially under competition stress; who’s made the most of herself and is not afraid to embrace MODERN style; who’s smart like a fox to include a modern movie musical gimmick of cups with an upbeat, insanely popular song to make it memorable, fun and entertaining; and who has a positive, ambitious, charismatic presence has triumphed over the helmet head pageant mullets; dressed like senator’s wives; who are all singing/dancing to songs from the last century or performing a dated talent like ventriloquism; and not showing an ounce of personality with canned, tired, vapid, Pageant Patty speaking.

The old school iconic Miss America many here cling to IS dead, and the modern, charismatic MA is here to stay. Adapt, or clap.

Replies:
Subject: Talent and SS should be eliminated now Sam. New name, Miss Interview Sam tells me what to say queen. Just kidding,

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:09:44 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Talent selections??

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:54:34 09/17/14 Wed

These were posted during prelims, but could someone please fill in the blanks of the talent selections I've forgotten/gotten incorrect? (I'd love to move the board past all of the bashing and debate.)

AL-Dance, "Let It Go"
AK-Vocal, "Have Mercy on Me"
AZ-Dance,
AR-Vocal, "Via Dolorosa"
CA-Vocal, "Bring Him Home"
CO-Tahitian Dance, "Runaway Baby"
CT-Dance, "Kitri's Variations (Don Quixote)"
DE-Dance,
DC-Piano, "Malaguena"
FL-Dance, "Note to God"
GA-Vocal, "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
HI-Hula, "The Prayer"
ID-Vocal, "Forget About the Boy"
IL-Classical Vocal, "Ah Je Veux Vivre"
IN-Vocal, "Over the Rainbow"
IA-Vocal, "How Will I Ever Know"
KS-Vocal, "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me"
KY-Fiddle, "Sally Goodin" and "Orange Blossom Special"
LA-Vocal,
ME-Monologue, "Yma Dream"
MD-Dance, "Everybody Dance Now"
MA-Piano,
MI-Dance, "Be Italian"
MN-Vocal, "House of the Rising Sun"
MS-Vocal, "Something's Got a Hold on Me"
MO-Dance, "Steppin' Out with My Baby"
MT-Vocal/Harp, "I Won't Give Up"
NE-Vocal, "You Raise Me Up"
NV-Vocal, "Somebody to Love"
NH-Vocal, "On My Way"
NJ-Dance,
NM-Dance, "Steam Heat"
NY-Vocal, "Happy"
NC-Classical Vocal, "Chi Bel Sogno di Doretta"
ND-Vocal, "Feelin' Good"
OH-Ventriloquism/Vocal, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
OK-Dance, "Titanium"
OR-Vocal,
PA-Vocal, "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"
PR-Flamenco Fusion Dance,
RI-Flute/Piccolo, "Devil Went Down to Georgia"
SC-Clogging, "Think"
SD-Dance,
TN-Vocal, "I Who Have Nothing"
TX-Dance, "Requiem for a Tower"
UT-Dance, "Forget About the Boy"
VT-Vocal, "You'll Never Walk Alone"
VI-Vocal, "Rolling in the Deep"
VA-Classical Vocal, "Parla Piu Piano"
WA-Vocal, "Someone Like You"
WV-Vocal, "Gravity"
WI-Dance, "Hallelujah"
WY-Dance

Replies:
Subject: Some of the Contestants' Intros

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:14:00 09/17/14 Wed

For the parade of states that kicks off the Miss America pageant, contestants are nudged to share a bit of trivia about their home states. (”From the home of the Ravens and O’s, Old Bay and Natty Boh, I’m Jade Kenny, your Miss Maryland!”) Naturally, there’s room for high-grade kitsch. Here are the 12 cheesiest intros from Sunday night:

“From the land of the midnight sun, where goose may be geese but moose are not meese, I’m Hailey Delgado, Miss Alaska!”

“Denver’s the highest city in the nation — I’m talking about elevation, people! I’m Stacey Cook, Miss Colorado!”

“A real-life farmer’s daughter! Thanks, Dad, for keeping Georgia No. 1 in peanut and pecan production! I’m Maggie Bridges, Miss Georgia!”

“From the small town of Twin Falls, I’m here to represent diabetics world-wide! I’m your sweet potato, Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison!”

“The limestone that built Boardwalk Hall is from my state — we know how to rock it! I’m Miss Indiana Audra Casterline!”

“From the state with ice cream flavors like Moose Tracks and Muddy Boots, I’m ready for the sweet taste of victory! I’m Audrey Thames, Miss Maine!

“From the state with the largest collegiate weight room, I’m here to pump you up tonight! I’m Megan Swanson, Miss Nebraska!”

“This Carolina girl is hoping to be the best-ov-all! I’m Miss North Carolina, Beth Stovall!”

“We may have the nation’s lowest unemployment — but this is one job opening I had to apply for! I’m Jacky Arness, Miss North Dakota!”

“From the state that brought you Nancy O’Dell, I’m here to be your Entertainment Tonight! Good evening America, I’m Lanie Hudson, Miss South Carolina!”

“Proudly representing the home of Pharrell Williams, I’m here to make you ‘Happy’ tonight! I’m Courtney Paige Garrett, Miss Virginia!”

“Country roads, take me home — AFTER I win the crown! I’m your mountain mama, Paige Madden, Miss West Virginia!”

Replies:
Subject: MY TAKE ON WHAT SHOULD BE A NEW SCORING SYSTEM

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:24:15 09/16/14 Tue

Interviews should be completed after ALL contestants have performed in the 3 other areas of competition.

50% talent......It's a TV show. We want to be entertained. Change the scoring system and you will get more talented contestants.

25%.............Swimsuit

25%............. Gown

Yes, that does add up to 100%. Here is where I would continue to change it up. Interview is an additional 30 pts.

Have a Top 12 perform swimsuit, talent, gown then go to top 5. Q & A then final ballot.

Replies:
Subject: 5 Things to Know About Kira Kazantsev

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:40 09/15/14 Mon

1. She's a California Girl: While Kazantsev calls New York her home, she actually hails from California. The native beach babe moved to the Big Apple five years ago for college.

2. She's Proud of Her "Cups" Routine (No Matter What the Critics May Say): It's easy to see that Kazantsev was inspired by the movie Pitch Perfect, but according to the beauty queen, she also wanted to show future contestants that it's important to stay true to yourself while performing your talent. "The reason why I chose to do that talent is I wanted every single little girl in America to be able to see that you can do that talent—you can do whatever talent you want on national television—even with a red cup—and still be Miss America and have the time of your life," Kazantsev said. "I literally in that minute and 30 seconds had the most fun I've ever had, and that's because I stayed true to myself and I did what I wanted to do for my talent, no matter what everybody else told me, and it paid off. I'm very happy about it."

3. She'll Soon Be Heading to Law School: Although Kazantsev will surely put her studies on hold while she fulfill her pageant duties, the 23-year-old has reportedly been accepted to Fordham University's Law School. According to her website, she "plans to pursue work in women's issues and international diplomacy," and she previously graduated from Hofstra University Honors College, where she triple-majored in political science, global studies and geography.

4. She's Trilingual: The beauty queen, who is a daughter of Russian immigrants, speaks Russian, Spanish and English. "My parents left for a better life," she told the Press of Atlantic City. "They gave up everything to make a better life for me and my little brother." With regards to a recent trip to Russia she added: "It made me just appreciate the fact I am an American."

5. She's Passionate About Raising Awareness for Domestic Violence Victims: Having gone through an abusive relationship in college, Kazantsev adopted domestic violence as her Miss America pageant platform. "I want people to stop asking, 'Why doesn't she just leave?'" the 23-year-old singer told NPR. "The main goal is to get people talking about it. If people are willing to talk about it, they're not scared of it, it's not taboo."

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]4 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.