|Subject: After re-watching several times, Here(and letting everything set in) Here is my Miss America 2016 Analysis! Buckle up bc it's gonna be a long ride!|
mouth of south
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 22:07:23 09/18/15 Fri
Intros: Point blank period. I hate the pre-recorded intros. Give the girls the air time they've worked so hard for on finals.The distracting dancing, the repetitive dresses, and the wind blowing their hair all over the place is all one big mess. Plus it was very hard to hear what most of them were saying. The scenery is just not worth it. Allow girls to get cheers from their fans and family that are there to support them on finals as some girls will not have their name called that night. Lastly, I'm so over the facts about the states. It takes up way too much time that could be devoted to something else in the show. If they are going to do that, then they need strict guidelines regarding it. Some girls give two facts, while others just say one silly thing. Take away all that, keep the intros short and sweet, and then maybe just maybe the girls can get more than 2.5 seconds of camera time in Swimsuit and EG.
Vanessa Williams portion- For one, let me say that I love Vanessa Williams. She is one of my favorite Miss America's. However, I thought the whole thing was a bit dramatic. The song number could have been a little bit shorter and the whole apology thing was just simply awkward and unnecessary. It got America talking though, which is all that matters I guess. Secondly, I will ask that if she had not been famous, would all this had happened? I feel that all the attention she was given was kind of disrespectful(if that's the n word) to other Miss America's in attendance or in general. Kind of like "Oh and Yall? Well ya'll are ok too". Every former is important and should be treated like a queen, regardless of her accomplishments. Just my opinion. I even think Vanessa herself was a little overwhelmed with all the attention.
Top 15 announcement- One of the better top 15 announcements of the previous few years. I could actually clearly see and hear them as their faces appeared in the little boxes on the screen. I also like how they announced America's choice and then got to the point. Didn't like the commercial in the middle though. That goes back to those intros. Maybe they could have gone all the way through the top 15 announcement with more time before a commercial.
Word to the host, ANNOUNCE THE NAMES! Announce them as loudly and clearly as you announce their state titles.Not everyone watching knows the girls. Camera man, I do no need to see Chris. Keep the camera on the girls please. Speaking of hosts, Brooke Burke just gives me strange vibes. Don't know what it is but she lacks energy. Lara Spencer was too loud and annoying and Brooke Burke is the exact opposite. Too dull. Can we get a good host? Where's Mario?
Overall the top 15 was pretty strong. I was surprised with only two. Virginia and Texas. I got 10 out of 15 correct. I was missing Nebraska(who I took off my list to include West Virginia), Arkansas, Texas, Virginia, and Colorado. I had them replaced with New York, Kansas, DC, Indiana, and Idaho.
TN- Good walk. Ok body
IA- Didn't get it. But prime example of how confidence sells.
WV- Wasn't too pleased. Lacked spark.
SC- Loved her SS presentation. Confident. Looked as if she was having fun, and had a great body.
FL- Good energy, but walk was a bit too marchy for me. SS is where I started to think she was just photogenic as well.
OK- Loved it. This girl sold it! Perfect amount of sass, but still sweet. Top SS for me.
VA- Didn't get it. But I do feel like she soaked up the moment. Which I love to see girls do.
AL- Was trying not to get on this bandwagon with the comparison, but HOLY MALLORY! Walk, hair, everything. If she had on a black swimsuit you would have thought Mallory sneaked onstage. Aside from that, Loved it. Second best behind OK for me.
CO- Swimsuit was all wrong. No it wasn't a regular patty swimsuit, but still had no business on a pageant stage. She has a good body, but the SS was not flattering for her.
LA- Hair was kind of stringy, but I do wish she had worn it down like this for the rest of the night. Great body and walk.
TX- Pleasant surprise in SS. Best hair of the pageant btw. Although it is TX, and you know what they say about their hair.
NE- Good presentation, but honey where was her makeup? I saw NO eyebrows or eyes whatsoever.
GA- Another best, but was annoyed with the mouth opening and lip-licking. Was so much better in prelim SS to me.
MS- One of the BEST bodies, but walk was too much. She didn't need to try that hard.
AR- Knew she wasn't advancing after SS. Body just wasn't there, but good energy.
Agreed with entire top 12. No huge exclusions or disappointments.
FL- Was hoping she would change for finals. It was just boring. I think a better, showstopper gown would have helped her go further.
CO- Was bored with it. Was hoping to see something different because that style was beat to death this summer pageant season.
IA- Basically same as CO in Blue. Same as CO.
MS- Nothing amazing or jaw dropping, but she shined in it.
TX- Hated the gown and color. Liked her state gown better.
TN- Was on the fence with it. Overall I didn't care for the gown, but she made it work.
SC- Huge gown disappointment. Would have preferred to see her in one of the amazing gowns from her previous years at state.
AL- Second Favorite in gown. Simply stunning.
NE- Gown was ill-fitting and still no makeup. Liked the color on her though.
LA- Did not wow me. Was just too simple and same as CO.
GA- Third favorite behind AL. She would have been my favorite over AL if she hadn't made the "Oh boy" gesture when she tripped.
OK- Favorite gown presentation of the night. Everything about her was red carpet, classy, and screamed modern Miss America to me.
*Was overall disappointed in the Hair and makeup. Kept thinking "Since Matt/Meredith Boyd are sponsors, why can't Meredith get a team of people together to come help with Hair and makeup backstage for finals. She does do makeup for commercials and telecasts". However I do understand that the girls are rushed and have so little time. (Which goes back to taking away the gimmicks so they aren't so rushed in SS and EG)
-FL- Loved her and understood the difficulty and technicality of it, however I'm not sure if it was entertaining enough. Didn't make me want to jump out of my seat and give a standing O, which I do think she was capable of doing. Maybe it was the song choice. Maybe it was the fact that she went first.
-OK- *Sigh. As someone who loved her,I had to m stop loving her at this point. And the line of the board from the OK folks was "She has finally found her song"??? Maybe it was nerves, but she doesn't seem like the nervous type. I knew it was over for her after this. There were good points, but more bad ones.
-LA- Going after OK helped. It was a beautiful performance, but it was just a little boring.
-TN- All I saw was yellow. Didn't like the gown. Couldn't hear her playing over the track. Thought it was the end for her.
-TX- Vocals were not strong, but I actually find myself re-watching her performance. Something about it was entertaining. Talk about playing your cards right in talent. (I do think her state talent would have gotten her some media attention though)
-AL- Loved it. It was different and entertaining. She had my attention. You didn't know what interesting move she would make next!
-CO- Didn't get it. If you are so passionate about such an emotional topic then... Where's the passion?? Where's the emotion??
-SC- Just wasn't good. I knew her spot in the five was in jeopardy after this performance.
-MS- Preferred her state piece over this one, but I was entertained. Not wowed, but entertained simply because it was something different.
-GA- Best talent of the night hands down. I thought she was even better in prelims, but the whole sitting onstage, nervously awaiting to perform and move on, then hearing your name called recollect yourself might be a factor.
*still don't like the sitting onstage thing, but oddly it's growing on me. I may love it by 2020. Also fully agreed with the entire top ten as well. I had NE and IA left sitting right after top 12 was called. Also didn't like the interruptions to cut to the judges, who looked like "why am I here??"
Only surprise was CO. Would have had FL advance over her.
OSQ(rankings starting with best)
MS- Short, but well spoken and sharp
TN- Good, Sharp answer
AL- Great response, just didn't care for the screaming and pointing
CO- Well spoken and no stumbles. Trying not to judge her for her opinion ,but really Ellen? Out of all historical female figures?
SC- Bottom for me bc I feel as if she just heard "gun violence" and decided to give canned, prepped response. She didn't even realize she said she DIDN'T support a ban on military style weapons...you know the ones that have been being used by psychos to kill multiple innocent civilians?
GA- Poor thing didn't even have a clue as to what the issue was about. Didn't hurt her much though and I'm glad :)
Only surprise was , YET AGAIN, CO. Did not see her placing that high. Made me think that if there were final ballot, she would be Miss Amerca right now. With GA, SC, and TN standing there, it was obviously Betty, but I started to think TN had it, but then thought back to "If OSQ would have hurt Betty that much, she would have stiyp, I knew she would be named Miss America!
*Why cut the traditional, iconic "There She Is" song to play some silly pop song? That just wasn't cool and another thing that was not cool was not showing the non-finalists. I love to see that awesome moment where the girls rush to the winner. When was the last time that has been cut out? AGAIN, back to the super long unnecessary intros. Cut those and you'd have more time for priceless moments like those.
With a final ballot, I THINK, the outcome would have been:
Miss America- CO
1st ru- GA
2n ru- MS
3rd ru- AL
4th ru- LA
SO glad this didn't happen!
Overall this was a great pageant and we should be thankful for the talented and gorgeous Miss America crowned. Lord knows we need her!
With all this being said, someone please fire Tall Pony!
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- My picks with ballot would have been MA-AL; 1st-MS; 2nd-GA; 3rd-LA; 4th-CO (NT) -- No name, 22:30:30 09/18/15 Fri
- Thank god thank god thank god no final ballot. (NT) -- No name, 22:50:44 09/18/15 Fri
- I really enjoyed Nebraska this year and her style, but I also wish she had defined her eyes. She was one of my surprise favorites and wish she had moved on. (NT) -- No name, 23:23:25 09/18/15 Fri
- Super! Just what I needed to see. I'm going to take my time in reading this. (NT) -- No name, 23:33:32 09/18/15 Fri
- TN's answer was off the mark. Regardless of whether you like or dislike Planned Parenthood, they don't provide mammograms. She was misinformed. (NT) -- No name, 00:02:35 09/19/15 Sat
- Please, please know that in televised pageants osq is not judged. Not enough time. Usually their prelim osq score is used. (NT) -- No name, 00:55:49 09/19/15 Sat
- I think even in a final ballot, GA would have still won by a thin hair vs a wide margin. I think she had a 10 in talent and no one was even close and talent had to be atleast 30%. So, even if someone had a 8 they werent close. All the swim suits were between 7-10 and the weight was 10% I believe. Now OSQ- no one answered it well. those scores were probably 4-6. Ellen was not a good answer and the question was the easiest if you follow Miss USA or Miss Teen USA this should have been a homerun question. Betty's question was the worst question of them all. with that said I truly believe she would have won regardless. (NT) -- I had GA winning regardless of final ballot or not, 01:01:40 09/19/15 Sat
- How do you know what SC thought for her answer? She lives in SC and as far as I know there is a section of the population who doesn't feel there should be a ban on any gun. I think people just did not care for her answer, which is your right but she's from the land of 2nd Amendment. (NT) -- No name, 01:10:38 09/19/15 Sat
- This is a great recap. Thank you for taking the time to type up a comprehensive review. Always nice to see more than one full-blown summary. CO must've really sold herself in interview to have her talent taken seriously. Very pleased with Georgia's win. (NT) -- No name, 11:59:33 09/19/15 Sat
- I liked it better when they stated their education in the intros. This current crap is ridiculous and plays into the bimbo beauty queen..."smell our dairy air", so stupid. But worst was when they'd say, "I'm Miss So and So and our state pageant is held in Bedrock" That was something literally no one cared about. (NT) -- No name, 14:32:52 09/19/15 Sat
- I also hate the stupid introductions they've been doing the last several years. Let the girls introduce themselves in a setting that shows them off. I also like to hear about their accompishments (college, profession, etc.) rather than what their state may be "famous" for. The entire production should do everything to showcase the girls. I also agree, eliminate some of that other stuff and focus on the girls. I hate the eliminations (so hurtful) to the ones who are eliminated, and hate, hate, hate seeing all the others sitting on stage. Give them a prime spot in the arena and let them accept their fate quietly. Overall, excellent remarks. (NT) -- No name, 14:42:18 09/19/15 Sat
- I think it's a great suggestion to profile titleholders who didn't make the cut. As they go to commercial or come back, show a brief video of Miss XYZ at school or working with her platform, not fishing with her family. Those who don't make the cut deserve additional attention, not just the losers lounge. And viewers at home love to see more of their state rep. (NT) -- No name, 15:13:00 09/19/15 Sat
- Disagree with many things but I did love LA and hate the losers lounge. CO had the best gown for sure. Over the same old intros (NT) -- No name, 16:38:02 09/19/15 Sat
- I am very happy the way things have turned out. I love Miss Georgia as Miss America. Now, after the fact, I would have been happy with Miss Colorado. If Miss Colorado was crowned that night, I wouldn't have been happy. It goes to show, that when you are judging it is a new perspective on things (NT) -- No name, 18:00:37 09/19/15 Sat
- Best recap. My top three were Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana. (NT) -- No name, 18:50:59 09/19/15 Sat
- I didn't like the top seven.. Just have 10 and then 5.. Miss America should be with her first runner up.. (NT) -- Love, Tippy, 16:11:42 09/21/15 Mon