VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]
Subject: Record Collecting

Author:
Roddy Jordan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:36:32 06/11/20 Thu

I stood there in our old Master bedroom and just looked at the largest record collection ever purchased in Australia!

Whose was it? Well it was mine now of course and in my house.

A total of 14,819 Australian pressed 45’s and EP’s!

What a goldmine for a record collector.

Allow me to tell you a story about a man named Roddy.

In the year 2000, whilst playing Lawn Bowls at my Bowls Club (Wynnum Ex-Services) I was approached by a lady who was playing on the same green.

I had been roped into playing Mixed Bowls, a competition I really did not like because you could not swear, make jokes or just be a man.

Anyway, this lady asked me 'you collect old rock ’n’ roll records don’t you? I replied yes and remind you that everywhere I went I used to give people my music business card advising people of my hobby.

She stated that one of her nieces was telling her the other day that the ABC Radio Station in Brisbane was wondering what to do with their Record collection from their library?

i rang them the following day and then realised of course I would be dealing with Public Servants. People who cannot or will not make decision to save their own souls.

After some days, I was then advised that indeed all the records had been moved to their storage facility at Mt Gravatt a suburb not that far from where I lived so I had to start all over again!

For those who do not know the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) is owned by the people of Australia whose taxes are used to fund stated organisation.

Anyway for about 3-4 months, I tried to negotiate my way around all these clowns and I must admit after a while I just ran out of patience.

Then and yes you can believe this as remember we are dealing with public servants here, out of the blue I received a telephone call.

This was on the 12th September 2001, a full 14 months from my last contact with them.

Fourteen months!

This lady asked me to come to the Mt Gravatt storage unit and after I arrived I was led into a particular room and there they were!

All 423 card board boxes filled with 35 records to a box. I nearly fainted I was so excited.

I was looking at a Record Collectors dream find and there they were.

I went through about 20 or so boxes and what I found was unbelievable.

The 45’s still in their original sleeves and Ep’s also with their covers.

However, you have not heard the best yet - 99% of the records and their sleeves were mint - unplayed!

The ABC never played this type of music and I was so glad at the time.

After a while we bartered a price and I agreed to pay them $A35,000 dollars an average of $A2.35 a record.

It had to be paid within 24 hours and that was no worry as I advised Christine what had transpired.

She always knew I had known what I was doing when it came to records and so I quickly agreed to the price.

I managed to pay for the collection by my Platinum American Express Card whereby I attracted 2 frequent flyer points for every dollar I spent so you can work that one out.

When I received the statement for the purchase, I paid it out in full in cash.

More in the next few days in Part Four!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Record CollectingChris Rees12:13:03 06/21/20 Sun

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.