VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]456789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:46
Author: Anonymous-27Aug02
Subject: Re: Vedic Mathematics & Prof. Nerode?
In reply to: Eponymous 's message, "Re: Vedic Mathematics & Prof. Nerode?" on 07:44

You are making a common mistake. You are attributing things to the Vedic Rishis which they neither said nor believed in.

For the rishis to have believed in geocentrism would have indeed been laughable. But they did not. You said you got that from the Bhagavata, a purana. The puranas are smriti, not sruti like the Vedas. Only the Vedas and the Agamas are sruti, or revealed scripture. Everything else, including the puranas, is "man-made" so to speak, although much of it (but not all) is very accurate, since it is based on the Vedas. Some of it, though, is myth, legend, etc.

I don't have the references handy, but I know for a fact that the Vedic rishis couldn't have possibly believed in geocentrism, since they wrote such vast treatises on astronomy that even today's scholars and scientists are just beginning to unravel the tip of the iceberg, and guess what, it all correlates with modern scientific findings. The rishis knew about galaxies, for instance; that would sort of invalidate any belief in geocentrism, don't you think?

A very common mistake I see many scientists, would-be scientists, scholars, etc. making nowadays is the setting up of strawmen only to beat them down. This is often the case with these topics of ancient cultures, especially Vedic culture. Of the many books and articles I've read by modern people trying to debunk them, not one has been written by someone with true knowledge of the subject. It seems it's a common hobby nowadays by many authors to tear down what they think someone said or believed in, without really knowing what said person or culture or group of people actually knew or said.

I don't know of a single person debunking the knowledge contained in the Vedas or by the people of the Vedic period for instance who is a knowledgeable person on the subject, or who can read the Vedas in the original and understand them, or who even knows Sanskrit. Everyone is debunking based only on hearsay and/or a very, very incomplete knowledge of the subject. Which is not very scientific is it...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.