VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]6789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:11
Author: Eponymous-22Apr02
Subject: Re: Atlantis's proof
In reply to: Anon-22April02 's message, "Re: Atlantis's proof" on 07:09

Anon, this isn't addressed to me, is it? Because I'm not sure how you could've interpreted my post as endorsing the Genesis story in any way.

Quite the opposite: The contemporary geological and archaeological record effectively prove that the Genesis account of a flood is fictional.

Although my [dis]agreement with "great" minds is not really relevant (and I'm not sure I would have listed all the same names under the rubric that you did), I would note that I think I am at least in agreement with Plato: It is pretty obvious from Plato's text that he knew that Atlantis was fictional, and intended the story to be allegorical. (Read his Atlantean tales here: http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/timaeus.html. And here: http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html.) As such, looking for Plato's Atlantis is like looking for Plato's allegorical cave.

Also, this rhetoric about "ultimate truth," "status quo," "mind blueprint," etc. is as unhelpful as it is innaccurate. Modern science doesn't concern itself with "ultimate truth," but with provisional knowledge. The scientific "status quo," whatever it is, is ever-changing, and this dynamic process of change is driven by scientific inquiry itself. And while everyone (including yogis) approaches new data from a preexisting theoretical perspective, that perspective cannot in any useful sense be referred to as a "mind blueprint" - a term that suggests an immutable bias rather than a defeasible, interactive set of heuristics and other cognitive functions. (The idea that science is incorrigibly biased against "new ideas" is decisively rebutted by the rather breathtaking progress science has made.)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.