VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]


[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:27:30 01/14/01 Sun
Author: Anonymous
Subject: Witchita Racist Slaughter Coverup


Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Tuesday, January 9, 2001



Defense lawyers file subpoenas for homicide reports

Lawyers for Reginald and Jonathan Carr, charged in five killings, may be gathering TV and radio reports to limit pre-trial publicity.

By Ron Sylvester
The Wichita Eagle

Public access to information on two multiple homicides in Wichita last month is being whittled from both sides of the trial aisle.
Prosecutors have sealed access to documents in the two local quadruple homicides that happened in the days just before Christmas. And defense lawyers in at least one of the cases may be trying to close future court hearings on the basis of pretrial publicity.

On Monday, defense lawyers for Reginald Carr -- who along with brother Jonathan is charged with killing five people in two incidents during a spree of robbery and rape -- filed subpoenas for records from four Wichita television stations and two radio stations with the Clerk of Sedgwick County District Court.

Legal experts say the defense move is an effort to close court proceedings.

"The reason you would collect that kind of information is to prove there's sufficient media attention to justify closing the hearings," said Dan Monnat, a veteran Wichita defense lawyer not connected with either case.

Last week, Assistant Sedgwick County District Attorney Kevin O'Connor obtained an order sealing information in the capital murder case against Earl Bell II and Cornelius Oliver, charged in the city's first homicides last month of four teens.

The order sealed emergency medical reports and 911 tapes, which are usually open to the public. It was nearly identical to a protective order obtained by Assistant District Attorney Kim Parker a week earlier in the Carrs' case.

The district attorney's office has said the protective orders are designed to reduce pretrial publicity and ensure a fair trial for the defendants.

Subpoenas received by local TV stations were for clips of news reports concerning the spate of homicides. They were received by the stations last week and did not seek to go beyond coverage that had been broadcast. Subpoenas for broadcast records also went to radio stations KRBB and KKRD.

Mitch Jacob, news director of KWCH-Channel 12, said the subpoena listed tapes of news coverage in both cases.

"The investigators told us they were trying for a change of venue," Jacob said.

Lawyers in both multiple-homicide cases are scheduled to be back in court Friday for hearings on various pretrial motions.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2001 The Wichita Eagle

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.