VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]


[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:16:35 08/23/02 Fri
Author: Weird_Enigma
Author Host/IP: 166.82.129.22
Subject: Families of nine Sept. 11 victims accept U.S. checks
In reply to: Weird_Enigma 's message, "Sept. 11 families sue for $1 trillion" on 14:11:32 08/16/02 Fri

Posted on Fri, Aug. 23, 2002

families accept U.S. checks
Payouts range from $300,000 to $3 million
SHANNON MCCAFFREY
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The families of nine Sept. 11 victims have accepted checks from the federal government's compensation fund ranging from $300,000 to $3 million, the fund's administrator said Thursday.

The families that accepted the cash payouts came from a pool of 25 applicants who received notice of their award in July from the Justice Department, which oversees the fund. Four are appealing their award and 12 have yet to respond, the administrator, Kenneth Feinberg, said.

The average award for the 25 applicants is $1.36 million.

Feinberg said that while it would be a mistake to infer too much from just nine awards, they did provide general guidance in what applicants could expect.

Feinberg had said in March that the average award to victims would be about $1.85 million before outside income sources, such as life insurance, were deducted. The awards announced Thursday are minus those deductions.

Not surprisingly, families of victim's with the highest incomes received the largest awards. For those earning more than $200,000, awards ranged from $2.1 million to $3 million. Those who earned $50,000-$100,000 over age 35 received awards of $300,000-$1.9 million. Those with incomes below $50,000 under age 35 received $610,000-$1.4 million.

So far, 662 people have applied to the victims fund, out of families of the more than 3,000 killed and injured in the attacks, according to the Justice Department.

Those who seek an award from the fund must give up their right to sue the airlines and other entities although they are free to sue terrorists. Congress set up the fund as an alternative to the courts as part of the $15 billion airline bailout bill passed shortly after the attacks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]


Replies:

  • Saudi firm ready to fight lawsuit -- Weird_Enigma, 22:52:27 08/24/02 Sat
    [ Contact Forum Admin ]


    Forum timezone: GMT-5
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.