VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:47:08 05/31/02 Fri
Author: Oback
Subject: Interesting as always!
In reply to: Cari 's message, "Discussion taken to the top (attn Alvin, WE67, and Tweety, esp.)" on 09:46:02 05/31/02 Fri

I think you're observations and opinions are interesting, as always CARI. I kind of viewed this whole Catholic Priest mess a little differently only in that I choose to concentrate on what the church stands for and not so much any link between pedophilia, homosesexuality and its clergy. Priests that are child molesters need to be dealt with in the same way that all child molesters are dealt with and that is from and by law enforcement. I don't think anyone disputes that. The link between celebacy and pedophilia and homosexuality is only important if one totally disagrees with Catholic doctrine that says, unlike a doctor or lawyer or plumber or electrician a priest is CALLED by God to service and is ordained by God. That is, if you don't feel like Priests are "called" by God then it is important to look at the process by which Priests are "recruited" and see if the attachement exists to behavior opposed byhe church. The Catholic church, I believe, so much as says Priests are above the general population in the view of God and therefore closer to Christ. A Catholic must go through a priest to speak with God. If one accepts that premise then this whole child molestation thing could destroy the church not from losing membership which I have seen happen in the parish my wife (soon to be former wife) attend but more importantly the Catholic church itself could be destroyed as a world religion. How can one accept that a priest is an intecessary (sp) to Christ if he is also a pedophile? I don't think one can. I never have viewed a priest as any different than the rest of mankind with all our foibles and shortcomings but I think the doctrine of the Catholic church does and thus this has to be a major problem for the religion just on a theological level much less a criminal level. I hope Erin will chime in here and correct anything I might have mistated....she is a much better Catholic and certainly a more faithful practicing Catholic than I.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.