VoyForums

Thursday, November 23, 08:55:13amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:07:54 06/04/10 FriPDT
Author: Ken LM 80
Author Host/IP: 67.41.22.226
Subject: Re: TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND
In reply to: WILLIAM (BILLY) CLARK 's message, "TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND" on 14:51:27 08/07/03 ThuPDT

>ANYONE THAT WAS STATIONED IN UDORN AT THIS TIME I
>WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I AM LIVING IN MERRITT
>ISLAND,FLA. I WAS WITH THE FIRST SHIPMENT TO TAILAND
>AND OPENED THE K-9 KENNELS IN UDORN. I FLEW ON A
>C-141 WITH THE K-9 AND A BULL WHICH WAS A GIFT FOR THE
>KING OF THAILAND. IF YOU REMEMBER THIS HOW ABOUT
>DROPING ME A LINE.
> BILLY CLARK, 575 BAKER RD.,MERRITT ISLAND,FLA
>32953
>PHONE 321-453-5606

Yep I remember the bull. We shared a plane from Kelly. Was in the first group at Ubon dog was Rinny 53X4. Later 74-75 was at Udorn as a dog Handler and Dental tech. Ken Neal

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND -- MIlt Trfafton, 14:46:26 03/24/16 ThuPDT (71.82.231.155)

I remember that flight from Texas to Udorn, 18 hours, 58 dogs, a bull, and too many people in very uncomfortable jump seats. That was half a century and half a word ago. Some memories are vivid – some not so much. I have forgotten some of the names of the people we worked with. I remember Stephen Britt, and Dave Knight, and a few others, and you.

The Kennels were so new that I don’t think cement was fully dry; and the people in charge didn’t know how to use us properly. That all changed after that attack in July - then all those long nights on the perimeter. The two ammo dumps they had carved out of the jungle; one lit up like a football stadium and the other with no lights to speak of – I never did understand that unless it was some misguided attempt to hide it.

You of course remember the barracks, the house girls, that nasty shower, dinking Coors while watching Star Trek on base TV, and how about that outdoor theater with all the lizards running around on the screen? Getting Thai food, warped in a leaf and delivered on post for 1 baht – it was that, or green eggs and/or C-rats.

There is so much I have forgotten but still a lot of memories remain. Many times I wish I had stayed longer.

I hope you are doing well and your life after the Air Force was/is good. It is nice to know that some of us are still around, and some of us remember.

Milt

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.