VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:10:45 05/23/02 Thu
Author: Rob Fliesser
Author Host/IP: 1Cust8.tnt5.ottawa.on.da.uu.net / 64.10.159.8
Subject: New Smoker BBQ

Last week I bought a new Brinkmann Cimarron horizontal smoker BBQ. A big 250 lb baby made of 1/4 inch steel and a separate large firebox for indirect cooking. I have owned a small barrel type charcoal vertical Brinkmann smoker BBQ for a number of years and have enjoyed smoking with it. I read the manual for my new smoker and it mentions that it can be used with both charcoal or wood fired. Last weekend, I tried my new smoker BBQ for the first time and tried cooking some chicken & ribs with straight wood fired using some shag bark hickory from my wood pile. Unfortunately, it turned out a lot more smokey than our taste. I am wondering if I did something wrong or should I stick to just charcoal with adding wood chunks/chips. I have read that hickory is a strong wood. Does anyone use there smoker BBQ with straight wood fired and can provide me some tips. I have recently bought a house on a nice 5 acre wooded lot outside of Ottawa and have an abundance of hickory & sugar maple, plus a mixture of other hardwood trees and even a few wild apple trees. I would like to enjoy my smoker BBQ during the many years of smoking ahead using wood from my own forest. I am just wondering if I should continue experimenting with wood firing or stick to using charcoal and make my own wood chunks.

Rob Fliesser

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.