VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:42:47 07/23/16 Sat
Author: The Band Played On
Subject: Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations
In reply to: A Casual Observer 's message, "Behind the scenes of DK's operations" on 11:31:35 07/20/16 Wed

Mindblowing that he's now trying to take on The Fan with this whole radio initiative. No way a 20-25 minute podcast justifies hiring that blowhard Benz. When will he learn that he needs to scale back?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations -- RobertoSan, 11:58:13 07/23/16 Sat [1]

I am a subscriber at DK's site. I was also a subscriber at PG Plus when they had it. Frequently, i would send Micco feedback on how bad the PG web model was. Take their advertising. The model they use would have been outdated even in the 90s. And why don't you have an online portal to sell Pittsburgh sports merchandise and make a small commission off of that instead of making almost nothing on local ads that most online readers dont' even care about considering a lot of the readership for the online sites is outside Pittsburgh too.

Speaking of DK, he is selling DK branded merchandise. Who the hell buys that except for some of the few delusional self branded lunatics on his site?? Who would walk around the city with a DK T shirt? He would make a smaller cut on Steeelers or Pens merchandise, but he could make it up in volume instead.

I will give DK credeit for one thing. This is a tough business that is in a major transitory phase. If someone here had a better solution, you would have started a site yourself. DK does strike me a little as revelling to much in the cult of DK. I can't stand the subscribers who kiss his ass on that site. But that's on them. If you are DK, do you blame him for hustling each day to make that site work? He has done a better job promoting his site than PG and Trib combined. Triub's sports subscrition years ago was a massive failure. So was PG Plus. DK is busting his ass getting sponsoships. And there will be times he will look desperate. And I don't condone the way he says goodbye to people on his staff he gets rid of. Like how he got rid of the PItt beat reporter. I guess Jason Mackey returned the favor in kind when he bolted without notice.

Still overall, the DK experiment has been a good one for the local sports media. Someone can build on this and maybe come up with a better site in the near future.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations -- OK Dee Kay, 08:58:19 07/24/16 Sun [1]

"why don't you have an online portal to sell Pittsburgh sports merchandise and make a small commission off of that"

Are you serious? The NFL sends cease-and-desist orders for playing five-second video clips of games, never mind trying to sell merchandise. It's completely illegal.

But that aside, the only people who care about DK are the man himself, the lunatics who subscribe and the people on this message board. Otherwise he's a minor irritant on social media (aka a troll) to other sports media in town.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations -- Former DK subscriber, 09:44:13 07/24/16 Sun [1]

There's a reason why you only see comments from the delusional lunatics who kiss his ass...

He deleted numerous comments from people questioning if the $50 brick scheme was a thinly veiled attempt to pay for Benz. And these weren't posts with profanity, personal attacks, etc. If you delete the dissenters all that is left is blind praise.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations -- The Cheap Seats, 20:56:37 07/24/16 Sun [1]

He also deleted a non-profanity subscriber comment a week earlier when he first floated the idea of the $50 brick. The person works at a non-profit and knows firsthand that the brick idea is a no-no for a for-profit company.

He's a huge hypocrite. He allows subscribers to bash each other - asks for decorum among the Pitt,WVU and psu fans yet will delete those comments who offer a push-back to his thoughts.

Then to allow subscribers to offer thoughts ( more like criticism) when he has staff turnover plus the fact that he floated his own suggestion that the Steelers beat is challenging ( intimating that Mackey couldnt do the job adequately and left for an easier job.) I only wish Mackey resigned via text.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations -- Question, 06:35:15 07/25/16 Mon [1]

Not defending his online activities -- but why couldn't a for-profit company sell some kind of brick? Seems like there would tax implications or accounting issues to deal with (the vrick purchase would not be tax deductible for the buyer, and Dejan would have to count this as income) but I don't see why it couldn't be done (note: I am not a tax attorney, just curious about the legal issue).

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Behind the scenes of DK's operations -- The Cheap Seats, 06:35:40 07/26/16 Tue [1]

He could sell the brick as an income generator because he would be selling a foam brick from his merchandise store.

It is just a horrible look to sell a foam brick for $50 when the cost for him is probably less than $5 - hence the pushback from some readers. Raise the rates if he wants but a fundraiser that solely puts money in his backpocket for basically nothing in return is kind of low-brow but should we expect anything different from him when you are known to fire people via text message.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.