VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:26:33 08/15/16 Mon
Author: A Casual Observer
Subject: Re: DK Pittsburgh Sports
In reply to: rex peatram 's message, "DK Pittsburgh Sports" on 08:52:10 08/14/16 Sun

Great post. I agree with you on the fact that he is a good journalist. He is. Sometimes he lays on the schmaltz a bit too thick, but that's just my personal taste. The dude has chops, no doubt.

Have a couple of things to comment on, so i"ll put the #s corresponding to your comments with my comment

#7 - to me this is my biggest gripe. There is no way that anyone, with any level of business acumen and experience, should EVER fire someone via a text message. I mean, there is just no excuse for that. I get that he's a startup, and startups need to move quickly and can't afford to be saddled with what the owner sees as something holding them back. but, come on. Have human decency. Also, put more thought into your hires beforehand.

#8 - agree 100%. Coolong to me was a shining example of "new media' (disclosure - I work in independent media myself). Knowledgeable about the game. I believe that for as much as DK rails against newspapers, he prefers newspaper-type guys on the big beats (he looks down on the Pirates - considering them the third most popular beat - which is why Gajtka has been able to stick around)

#10 - Yep. Has a good way of breaking down complicated concepts

#11 - also a big gripe. I think instead of hiring a social media person, he should have hired a stright up marketer who could also dip a toe into social

#12 - BIG issue for me. The way he TRASHED Saunders when the website crashed was incredibly unprofessional. Keep somethings behind closed doors. won't hurt. Communicate to your audience what is going on, professionally, and then leave it at that.

#13 - I would LOVE to hear more detail about this :)

#14 - See no. 13 :)

#15 - agree. I am in the process of doing the same thing; I admire it.

I'll also add that another thing that bugs me is the way he talks down to his paying subscribers. Whether it's on twitter, or the comments on his site, he will absolutely spar with them. While I would not expect nor want him to be a pansy or a pushover, some of the interaction is really strange.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: DK Pittsburgh Sports -- REALLY?, 06:05:17 08/15/16 Mon [1]

Nice to see someone was recruited to defend him, despite all the disclaimers. I figured it would just be a matter of time. Thanks for sharing.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.