VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:52:10 08/14/16 Sun
Author: rex peatram
Subject: DK Pittsburgh Sports

Enjoying reading the back and forth on our lad Dejan.

Wanted to post some observations, but first thing: He is an outstanding writer. Yeah, he is a jagoff of the highest order, immodest, self aggrandizing, thin-skinned and rude. But, that is secondary to the fact that he is the best sports columnist in town. And, no one comes close. His ability to boil down the emotions and detail with documenting the event in a creative and intelligent way is great. (Hey, maybe the rest of the sports reporters in this burg are just mediocre? Makes him seem better?) Regardless, I feel I have been rewarded several times for reading his stuff, and the cost of his site is worth the pocket change.

When he started his own site out of nowhere, I was averse to PAYING. (But, I am averse to paying anyway!) If there was an alternative for good / critical Pgh sports coverage, I would like to know. Anyone? I am open! Let's hear it...(Ron Cook?!) ((Really...anyone??))

1) reading some of the dissenters' messages on this site, I find it entertaining. And, I BELIEVE the snide comments. I don't get the bashing of DK as a journalist though.

2) His site was MUCH BETTER when it was simply him covering / opining on events all by his lonesome

3) His site is tough to read now, spread too thin

4) If I am on it to read DK himself, I am truly disappointed as he writes SO RARELY now (and no, I don't really care about Olympic columns, but I will read them [I guess...])

5) Josh Yohe is a fine reporter, and he has had some good insight/exclusives on the Pens of course, but he is no columnist!

6) "Good Dudes" started as a nice idea, with DK sharing some insider info about someone we hoi polloi probably didn't know that much about, or how that guy was really...a "good dude" after all. Josh has KILLED it with non-stop Penguin guys. Zamboni guy = good dude

7) Firing staff happens everywhere I suppose, but DK's management style MUST suck, it just is too frequent, it is not normal. Some people are born to lead, some are not.

8) Neal Coolong did a great job in my opinion, I enjoyed the depth of detail. That was a bewildering situation. His replacement was not only vanilla but also mediocre.

9) That said, the 3 reporters covering the big 3 college programs are impressing me. They are at least equal to the local rags.

10) I am pleasantly surprised by Matt Gajtka. He actually can WRITE.

11) I cannot stand DK's hype for the "new" reporter, website, sponsor, or brick. He is a TERRIBLE huckster, and while a credible reporter, he has zero gravitas as a promoter. He praises incredibly, then

12) Has no problem throwing you under a bus when he has used you. Coolong, Saunders, old website developer, Wickerham, etc. So weird and I dunno, Trump like

13) Personal anecdote: Early on with his new site, I offered my help on a few things, gratis. He was so appreciative he offered to pay me, which was very nice, but not expected. Everything was hunky dory. I took it more seriously as I was getting paid. Then, at the time I would get my check after a few months had passed, no check. And, a short email saying they couldn't pay me. Which would be fine, but it was AFTER I did a whole unpaid month's worth of work. I wouldn't even care, but you should tell me BEFORE I do the work, not after. (Amateur hour)

14) Met the man one time. Not a people person.

15) But, let's be fair...that takes big cajones to give up a relatively secure job to go off on your own into the big blue yonder. I give respect to the entrepreneurial spirit.
--------------------------------------------

And, again...a fine, fine sports columnist

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.