VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:39:04 09/14/16 Wed
Author: Under 50
Subject: Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live
In reply to: Tom (The Original Tom) 's message, "The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live" on 06:32:11 09/13/16 Tue

I clicked on this thread for the hilariously cliche dismissal of any journalist under* the age of like 45, and man, I was not disappointed. This is the *GOOD* stuff.

*Excuse me. "Younger than."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Suggestion for "Under 50" -- Challenger, 04:43:07 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Okay, then you tell us why these newbies are so good. I've seen the Incline and Upgruv and at 42 I can't see what's awe-inspiring about either one.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Seriously, 06:27:07 09/15/16 Thu [1]

I don't think it's a question of age as much as a preference for one type of journalism over another. It is difficult for those of us who learned/practice/appreciate standard who-what-where-when reporting on local government, the courts, schools, and other vital community functions, to embrace brief, scattershot, often glib writing and story selection designed to entertain, rather than inform, and, ideally, to generate ad clicks. You can argue that it's just the way younger people consume news/content nowadays, but it's a diminished form of the art and a disservice to society.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Under 50, 00:35:29 09/17/16 Sat [1]

Be real here. It's not about a "type of journalism." Lexi is young. Lexi is the bawse. And people on this board, apparently yourself included, are going to have a problem with that regardless of a Post-Gazette portfolio that had plenty of who-what-where-when-why in it, and regardless of her leading a staff of more than a hundred *students* that was often more nimble in getting to those Sandusky 5 Ws you claim to cherish than any newspaper in the state except the Patriot News.

Stop trying to hide that behind hand-wringing about "ad clicks," which anyone who's done even a little bit of research on the 5 Ws of Spirited Media knows is not the business model.

I'm sorry many posters on this board didn't get a chance to be in charge. I'm sure both papers would be journalism behemoths had JR or Scaife turned their gaze toward you. But stop projecting that frustration onto a young person who had the stones to jump off the hamster wheel and try something different.

This city is better with more voices at the table. I'm not going to argue you need to like every voice. But portraying her as an air-headed pixie playing reporter in the big city could not come across more transparently as sour grapes.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Bawse?, 06:55:58 09/19/16 Mon [1]

What is "bawse"?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Forty-six, 08:59:00 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Where did you see that? I can't find it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Spicoli, 12:37:51 09/15/16 Thu [1]

I know. "Gag me with a spoon." Nothing says relevant more than 30-year-old slang.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: The Incline launches: Pittsburgh’s newest news site is live -- Pinkman, 04:24:46 09/16/16 Fri [1]

Right you are. It's more like "Yo! Check it out, bitch!"

Always nice to see the continuum of intelligent discourse from the younger folks.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.