VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:45:31 09/20/16 Tue
Author: Former Subscriber
Subject: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly

He says he uses a method employed by sports teams. Does this mean that when someone signs up for a 3-year subscription they count as 3 in the subscriber count? I am very confused as to why he cannot provide active membership numbers. How hard is it to say, we have "XXX" number of subscribers who can read our material this month. They are broken down into the following categories: monthly, annual, 3-year, etc.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that he somehow uses mathematics and statistics to inflate his numbers. Instead of having 30K subscribers, I'd bet its closer to 15K with all of his funny reporting.

The other thing is, did anyone read his passive aggressive shot at not only the Trib, but Kaboly in his intro?

"When I started at the Trib in 2011, I appreciated all this immediately, to the extent that I lobbied the editors in charge at the time ó Iím talking hard lobbying ó to have him take a more active role on the beat. He got that chance, and he earned everything he got. Well after I left, he was elevated to the primary beat man, and I couldnít have been more proud."

DK claims he was the one who got Kaboly the chance. Does he even realize the crap he writes?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- The Cheap Seats, 18:49:31 09/20/16 Tue [1]

The Kaboly intro is right out of his playbook - for those that follow him going back to the start of his site, he claims certain things like this that pat himself on the back because no one can fact-check the claims and all of the other BS stories he spews. A few times when I was still a subscriber, I called him on a few things that made zero sense, asking him for more details or at least allowing him to refute my claims and in typical Dejan fashion, he took the conversation in another direction or his rebuttal attacked me. Not surprised by what he wrote about Kaboly at all.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Morkle, 05:01:20 09/21/16 Wed [1]

Does all this hiring seem like a good idea? Unless he's using the Huffington Post model of not actually paying people.

Advantage of his initial model was how lean the operation was. He was writing two things a week. He had one dedicated Steeler and one dedicated Penguins writer, with those two and another guy splitting time with the Pirates and generally covering for each other. Then whoever he could find would do college football. Plus his wife did marketing/accounting and finally an outsourced, probably low-budget, webhosting solution. At the time there was no office for the business.

Now the operation is three times as big.

Unless he is firing people to hire all these new people, he is just adding cost without taking actions that necessarily have anything to do with increasing revenue.

Won't be long now. I actually like Rob Rossi's Upgruv better.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Winger for hire, 22:00:53 09/21/16 Wed [1]

He has no business model. He'll tell you that himself. Someone asked what Mark Kaboly would do after football season and DK's answer was he hasn't thought that far ahead.
He will go out of business. It is just a matter of when.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- The Cheap Seats, 11:40:01 09/22/16 Thu [1]

Would love to be a fly on the wall when he tells Kaboly he is covering a Riverhounds game.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Former DK subscriber, 15:34:32 09/22/16 Thu [1]

I hope Kaboly and Dorpiak really like low level minor league soccer!

So counting DK as a Pens guy because that's all he's actually good at since he admits freely he's weak on football and all he does on baseball is an occasional smear job.

Pens: DK, Yohe, Rohrbaugh
Steelers: Kaboly, Dopirak, Carter
Pirates: A soccer play by play guy (Gajtka)

Hmm... maybe the lack of clicks on Pirates articles isn't due to a lack of Pirates fans, DK. Maybe it's a lack of good coverage.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Royal Buc Up, 06:39:13 09/24/16 Sat [1]

Hmm... maybe DK could "steal" the PG writer (Brink) who scooped him on Ivan Nova news or the Trib writer (Sawchick) who embarrassed him while he was crying conspiracy.

Didn't see anything from the soccer play-by-play guy...

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- JimR, 10:29:11 09/24/16 Sat [1]

Or maybe he's doing well. I'm a satisfied subscriber. $1.50/mo beats a subscription to a local paper & DK has better sports coverage.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Question, 20:51:16 09/24/16 Sat [1]

So did you write this of your own volition or were you asked to post this insightful opinion to counter the criticisms?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Abee, 16:53:03 09/24/16 Sat [1]

1000 new subscribers = Kaboly's salary...paid
3 new big time sponsors = Rorabaugh's salary...done

30,000+ subscribers heading into busiest part of sports calendar at same time a main competitor implodes = business is boomin'

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Funny Math, 09:04:50 09/26/16 Mon [1]

According to Abee "1000 new subscribers = Kaboly salary paid" -- which, it is $1.50 a month, err, I'm sorry now it is $2 per month.

So Kaboly is making $2000 per month or $24,000 a year with no benefits?

Is this a sweat shop?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> In defense of DK Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- RobertoSan, 19:49:18 09/28/16 Wed [1]

Look, I have no issue criticizing DK. But I will say this about pay. If Kaboly had a better opportunity, he would have taken it. He is not a superstar reporter. His options were limited. I don't know if his pay is really in the high 20s, but let's face it. If you are a single sport reporter without national recognition or a rabid local following, you can't expect much pay.

And I recognize DK is not the nicest guy out there in the business. And I don't condone the way he has parted ways with some ex employees. But I don't think he is underpaying anyone because if he were, no one would work for him . I like Seth a lot, and I am going to guess he is underpaid for what he can bring to DK, but he had no options out there if he wanted to stay in hockey. He could try to be a SBNation writer, but SBNation pays very very little. ESPN has already exceeded their NHL budget.

So as much as we would not want to hang out with DK, at least he is doing something about his situation in the business and everyone complaining have that opportunity to set up a rival site.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- RobertoSan, 20:29:57 09/24/16 Sat [1]

Kaboly today put up an article towing the company line of Jarvis Jones and got called out by a bunch of readers on it. The article read like one of the typical mainstream press articles. He is going to have to adjust his style to the blog format.

Having said that, there is nothing stopping anyone else in Pittsburgh from doing what DK is trying to do. He has been better than PG and Trib at monetizing pay sports coverage. Obviously he is doing something right that the mainstream papers have been able to do.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Kaboly looks stupid with one of his early blog contributions, 16:26:24 09/25/16 Sun [1]

As I said yestrday, Kaboly put up a puff piece about Jarvis Jones. He got some pushback from readers on that. Now, after the Philly beatdown, he is getting ridicule from some of the readers for his miscalculated early item on Jarvis. Talk about bad timing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- The Cheap Seats, 23:12:08 09/24/16 Sat [1]

What info on Nova did Brink break and what happened between Kovacevic and Sawchick?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Nova story, 09:10:52 09/26/16 Mon [1]

DeJan went on one of his rants about how every other media guy in town is wrong about the Pirates desire to sign Nova, that he had the definitive scoop that the Pirates haven't ever even talked to Nova or his agent about a contract.

Bill Brink two days later wrote that not only have the Pirates and Nova's people had talks, the Pirates have offered him two different contracts.

Dejan - with the help of his minions on social media - then went again on one of his campaigns to discredit the reporting and say that it was all lies from the Pirates and how Brink was just buying the company line.

A few hours later Travis Sawchuck confirmed - through Nova's agent, who Dejan claimed to have talked to - that the Pirates did indeed offer him a contract and the two sides have indeed talked and the Pirates did indeed offer him several contracts.

Dejan and his army quickly retreated with egg on their face and of course he had all kinds of excuses and clarifications to what he had said....

Getting it right doesn't matter, being able to preach to your sheep that you know the truth and have them buy it hook line and sinker every time is what matters apparently in the DK world....

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- The Future, 07:06:33 09/27/16 Tue [1]

Dejan can't carry Sawchik's jock strap (so to speak) when it comes to Pirates coverage-inside or otherwise.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- RobertoSan, 03:49:38 09/26/16 Mon [1]

Glorified Pens blog at this point. With the addition of Seth, they have good stuff coming in on the Pens. But their Steelers coverage is just OK and not deserving of a premium. Kaboly is earnest, but I rarely have been impressed by his insight when he was at the Trib and he is off to a rough start at DK. He is already being second guessed for his analysis by many readers.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- North Side Notch, 08:30:40 09/27/16 Tue [1]

The problem with Pirates coverage is that the Pirate fan, at least those that spend money for coverage, does not want to read (or hear) any criticism of any kind about the Pirates organization.
So it is very difficult to write for them honestly. The only Pirates stories that really receive any kind of clicks/views are puff pieces, but then you alienate the vast majority of Pittsburgh sports fans that see right through it.

Pirates fans are totally different from Steelers and Penguins fans, both of which demand honest, unafraid criticism of those organizations. Heck even the fans blogs for those teams have no qualms about ripping them to shreds if warranted. Not so with Pirates fan blogs who feel a decently good season three years ago is still worthy of high praise and organizational adulation. (compare the same quality of season for the Penguins led to everyone being fired because it wasn't good enough)

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Dkcritic, 16:58:46 09/27/16 Tue [1]

DK seemed to be more forthcoming with what looked like real numbers at the start. Every new addition to the staff the numbers tend to look more suspiciously high.
Hes already started going back in promises to staff re bonuses and what.not.. Hus vendetta towards the papers. And his need to be the biggest will be the end of dkpittsburghsports

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Former DK subscriber, 19:00:20 09/27/16 Tue [1]

DK has a vendetta against the Buccos front office just like Rossi did against Rutherford/Pens front office (Go sell ice cream).

The Nova situation this past week is just another example. Everyone else in the city corroborated that DK was dead wrong but he still beats the anti front office drum

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Former DK subscriber, 15:45:52 09/27/16 Tue [1]

It always was nothing but a glorified Pens blog. Steelers coverage has been a revolving door and Pirates are covered by a minor league soccer play by play guy.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- The Cheap Seats, 19:00:17 09/27/16 Tue [1]

Does anyone know why Mackey went to the PG?

One could argue job security isnt hetter at PG so was it more money, a desire to get off Steelers beat, or just wanting to get away from DK, who cant be easy to work for?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- A Casual Observer, 05:17:32 09/28/16 Wed [1]

I have it on good authority that it was equal parts chafing under DK, and wanting to be on the Pens beat.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Easy, 10:08:54 09/28/16 Wed [1]

Better pay, benefits and opportunity to cover Penguins full time

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- DNY, 12:09:46 09/28/16 Wed [1]

Hey the Trib is almost online only. looks like you guys followed DK again!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Game over, 18:44:27 09/28/16 Wed [1]

Game over. DK won. Trib is dead. DK is prospering.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- 0 for 4, 08:15:33 09/29/16 Thu [1]

Four short sentences. And all four are an exaggeration or flat-out wrong. Well done.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Media Man, 09:30:08 09/29/16 Thu [1]

Game over? DK is a sports blog. Trib is a full fledged newspaper that covers much more than sports, and still maintains a website that generates much more traffic than DK's blog and maintains healthy print editions.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Apples and rotting apples, 21:54:39 09/30/16 Fri [1]

You must not have gotten the memo. The Trib might be doing well compared to DK but please, then, explain why it's shutting down print November 30, going online only and publishing (for now) editions for Greensburg and Tarentum because of financial challenges.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Bucco Bob, 12:12:13 09/30/16 Fri [1]

Why does DK have so much Penguins coverage? Does hockey really warrant so much coverage? Is there really a demand for hockey in this area? Not like SW PA is a hockey hotbed.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- rex peatram, 05:52:30 10/01/16 Sat [1]

I suggest you check out the concept of supply and demand

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- Sam, 16:14:10 10/02/16 Sun [1]

Is DK covering high school sports?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK Subscription Count/Kaboly -- The Cheap Seats, 18:10:28 10/02/16 Sun [1]

His blog has never covered high school sports and I doubt will ever happen.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.