VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:52:13 10/01/16 Sat
Author: Truth in few words
Subject: Re: Update required
In reply to: SIRI S. Lee 's message, "Re: Update required" on 17:49:30 10/01/16 Sat

Because Pittsburgh can support one paper. Period.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- fertilizer, 18:17:54 10/02/16 Sun [1]

Exactly. Pittsburgh can support one print newspaper. Consider the delivery, paper and ink costs alone that will be saved by delivering a digital only product. Revenue from digital ads may be less, but costs for those are far less too. It's a financially sound decision.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Amused, 22:06:46 10/02/16 Sun [1]

And the Trib still won't survive. It was a mediocre product in print. That won't change digitally. Still have to pay tech and editorial staff. I have to say the Jennifer-philes are sure trying to spin the brilliant decisionmaking from the Clark Building. But it won't work

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- fertilizer, 17:09:37 10/04/16 Tue [1]

Your judgement of mediocrity is your opinion. Over 200,000 paid subscribers felt differently. You seem to be "Amused" and salivating over the predicted demise of a business and the continued job loss that could result from that. What's the motivation behind that?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Pitiful, 11:50:12 10/05/16 Wed [1]

Are you referring to these once-regular self-congratulatory articles and figures?

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/6108284-74/trib-circulation-editions

Where DID it all go?

Yeah, these stories used to appear regularly, all ably spun and if it were true, the PG would be the ones suspending print publication or going out of business. But it's not that way, is it?

See it as you will, fertilizer. As Journey sang, "Don't stop believin'!"

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Weed wacker, 20:10:03 10/05/16 Wed [1]

The staff are indeed the victims. As for your "over 200,000 paid subscribers felt differently" comment, are you factoring in the non-subscribers who found unrequested Tribs thrown in their front yards are on their doorsteps, or those who bought copies sold at a loss at various retail outlets?

In your bitterness, don't blame the commenters here; blame Dick Scaife. He and his henchmen created an ego trip in life that proved unsustainable in death.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- fertilizer, 09:05:18 10/06/16 Thu [1]

I don't disagree that Scaife probably sold copies at a loss. It would make sense that's the reason the Trib voluntarily pulled back circulation in Pittsburgh. That seems to be the whole idea of ceasing print delivery to Pittsburgh. They are making decisions that make sense, rather than throwing money at things that don't. I don't think the free Trib copies statement is accurate. 200,000 copies number is audited, and would not include free copies. Gone are the days where you can claim vague circulation numbers. I do know that the PG drops plenty of free samples. I've seen those. It's called sampling, and most papers do this to entice new subscribers. As for "Don't stop believing", I would prefer that attitude, rather than one of standing by and relishing the demise of a business and its' remaining employees. So, Weed-- what IS your motivation behind that attitude?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Weed wacker, 23:11:06 10/06/16 Thu [1]

I relish no job loss. I find what happened at the Trib disgusting and repellent in that it hurt a hell of a lot of good people, though the place for years was run by the foolish.

You've every right to your opinion, but I find it amazing that the Scaife Kool-Aid drinkers continue to think the man had a logical vision of how to produce a newspaper. He never did. His "vision" was rooted in his vast wealth, personal immaturity and a deep hatred and paranoia that canceled out his good deeds (like his support for Planned Parenthood and his staunch belief in First Amendment rights).

Sadly, Dick had good people working there who believed in him and bought into the creatively spun circ numbers that could pass audit but weren't that solid. He also had what can only be called a "cult following," especially in the Opinion section. It's interesting none of those folks are there any longer.

With the Trib, people like yourself want to believe there was a THERE there. But you can't answer one simple question: if things were going so well, with all that amazing growth, why is TTM in their current state? The whistling past the graveyard obvious in your posts can't change that. As the truth comes out, you and those like you simply can't or won't accept the reality.

This says it all. Try and refute it, if you will. And bear in mind this is not coming from a bleeding-heart liberal.

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/dennis-roddy-on-the-death-of-the-pittsburgh-tribune-reviews-print-edition/Content?oid=1955128

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- KoolAid, 17:30:35 10/09/16 Sun [1]

Your name "Amused" is the tip off showing you relish the current state of affairs. I never said I agreed with how Scaife ran his business. I also don't see it as people blindly following Dick. They were there to get a pay check, like any other job. When he was alive, it was his money to spend as he chose. If he chose to spend it foolishly, that was his call. It seems to me that addressing reality is the very thing they are doing right now. Efforts are being made to reorganize and restructure. That can't be easy, but its certainly not impossible, and far from "whistling past the graveyard". I applaud them for making changes to run it more efficiently. Isn't that what any good business does?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- The Blame Game, 11:29:11 10/06/16 Thu [1]

So it's Dick's fault that these people are out of work, because he was the one who created hundreds of jobs in the first place and subsidized them for two decades.

And on top of that, he was a community menace as a litterbug.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Reality Game, 21:14:42 10/06/16 Thu [1]

Oh, no. Dick was one of America's major publishers! The Murdoch everyone ignored!! And didn't you hear? He and his intrepid gang, Chris Ruddy among them, solved the death of Vince Foster and alerted our nation to really serious threats!

All that, in addition to selling Tribs at a loss to try and gain market share and only proving the time-honored adage about one getting what one pays for. That includes the copies thrown in driveways and on porches that you seem to think was no big deal. That kind of thing turns people off.

Here's a memory of the crusading journalist who created this colossal fantasy for himself and tried to sell it to the world as a success it never really was, even if it did make him feel good.

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20010208trib6.asp

But gee, Blame Gamer, it's nice to see the old man still has his acolytes, as out of touch with reality as he was.

As the old Trib Total Media slogan went: "We do things Right. Here."

Sadly, a lot of good people have suffered for that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Good Till the Last Dropped Dead, 03:21:06 10/07/16 Fri [1]

Yeah, the ol' man did some pretty whack s@!# in his day, particularly in the Ruddy days.

But for the majority of the staff that drank from the non-Kool Aid water cooler and went about their daily work apolitically covering council pr sewers or bridges, you must admit he was an employer of multitudes in the post-Press days, no matter which trust fund supported his pet project.

And if copies were sold at a loss, that means that as least for that brief competitive period readers got far more than they paid for.

Those customers and employees who "suffered" from all this wouldn't even be in the discussion if not for Dick.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Mack Swell Haus, 04:50:19 10/07/16 Fri [1]

If Dick had created a newspaper based on the Wall Street Journal, editorially conservative but more or less down the middle with news coverage that adhered to high standards, he could have taken down the PG. Instead, he chose to give them, and forced his employees to create, a hybrid blending the worst of the NY Post, Weekly World News and National Enquirer with occasional excellence from Prine, Conte, Bumsted or Erdley. I bet some working there were as disgusted as outsider Trib critics. The PG has never been that good and a better quality Trib could have outdone it. But Dick's vision, shored up with inherited money and hype, couldn't long survive him.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Chockfull O. Knutz, 21:27:31 10/08/16 Sat [1]

Your theoretical premise, however, is correct. In spite of his bank account, he wasn't up to it.

WSJ has fine arts coverage and so on. Dick never cared about that. Look at the motley Trib features crew of the past, many now former staffers still freelancing. No, Dick would have had to focus on excellence to create a WSJ-like paper. He paid lip service to excellence but it never was his goal.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Update required -- Dewey Decimal, 06:27:42 10/09/16 Sun [1]

Features? Biggest part of features anymore are ex-Tribber Rege Behe's boring freelance book reviews and author articles, sure to be ignored by the few readers the Trib still has. That small group can always shed tears to "Our Stories," Togneri's mawkish "human interest" coverage.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.