VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:18:01 11/16/16 Wed
Author: not surprised
Subject: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports

that was quick!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Massive turnover, 18:09:19 11/16/16 Wed [1]

Why burn yourself out when no one is reading your material? He works way too hard for an undersubscribed blog behind a paywall. Hopefully after he gets some rest and back on track he ends up someplace where the public can see his work again. Excellent talent.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Jeff Fels, 04:18:58 05/11/17 Thu [1]

Dkpittsburghsports has 40,000 subscribers. Undersubscribed is not how I would characterize it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Pens fan, 20:36:03 11/16/16 Wed [1]

Family and health issues.
Seth is a good guy, wish him well.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- 1st Time Caller, 07:13:46 11/17/16 Thu [1]

His work is something that plays well in the old PG model, but not in a pay-per-click. If he's getting 1-2,000 hits per game day, he would have to be overpaid to get above the poverty line.

Think Jason reaches out to him? Sends him some flowers?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- CornFused, 09:35:20 11/17/16 Thu [1]

That was quick. If it is health, I hope he gets in under control and fast, seems like a really nice guy.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Former DK subscriber, 15:19:16 11/17/16 Thu [1]

DK was past due for more turnover although I figured it would be on the Steelers side of the house.

With DK basically being a Pens guy, and Yohe, it was going to be slim pickings for poor Seth regardless, especially getting paid per click.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Seth's health is fine, 15:23:50 11/17/16 Thu [1]

This stuff about Seth's health is patently false. He is fine, there are no issues.

He resigned for the same reason everyone seems to leave or get fired from that site - the boss is an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Ask everyone of them that has left and even a few of them that are still there, the boss is hard to handle.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Mental health? Financial health? -- Former DK subscriber, 05:54:38 11/18/16 Fri [1]

Dealing with that clown DK as a boss could have a negative effect on one's mental health.

Having to compete for clicks when much of your "product placement" is at the whim of that social media girl can be hazardous to one's financial health.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Agreed, 08:50:30 11/18/16 Fri [1]

Exactly. This is no health issue. I agree that he probably hasn't seen his friends or family much. DK doesn't care about the personal lives of any of his employees.

Unfortunately the state of journalism doesn't give these guys any other place to go after the newspaper. Someone needs to start another DK like site and head it up with a good person. He let go of so many great journalists and photographers. And why? Because they tried selling prints even though they were allowed to? Because they wanted to attend a family function?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Former DK subscriber, 15:03:23 11/18/16 Fri [1]

You could start a big operation just with former DK employees.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- A Casual Observer, 05:55:20 11/19/16 Sat [1]

I'm aware of Wickerham being canned because he wanted to sell prints, but who was let go for a family function? That's low.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- oh for pete's sake, 02:01:56 11/21/16 Mon [1]

I haven't followed the details of every DK hire and fire and I really don't care, so maybe some were not justified, but the claims here are ridiculous.

A single example. Coolong was awful on the Steelers beat--snotty, pretentious, immature and worst of all, a bad boring writer who couldn't make the leap from small time blogger to a writer with team credentials. He also insulted readers, had twitter meltdowns, wanted to fist fight people and probably never really quit his (truly awful) USA Today Wire/whatever job. So he got fired. Boo hoo.
Dopirak, his replacement after a replacement, started slowly and carefully but he's hitting his stride and has all the instincts of a real/worthwhile journalist--he says "I don't know" when he doesn't know and then he goes and finds out. He knows how to interview and he knows how to conduct himself like a professional.
So please stop with the fantasy about DK firing all the great ones. At least in one case, it just doesn't wash.
I don't worship DK but he's made some decent to good choices and the writing on his site is a lot better than elsewhere.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- FantasyLand, 21:16:17 11/21/16 Mon [1]

Dopirak was so good that DK demoted him to backup and hired Kaboly to cover the beat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- KD on sports, 14:25:52 12/03/16 Sat [1]

Dopriak is hitting his stride? Based on what? He asks good questions? How does this poster know?

Ask anyone who's been in the Steelers locker room this year. They'll tell you neither of those statements is true.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- In the locker room, 10:33:45 12/05/16 Mon [1]

This is ridiculous. His professionalism, his questions are fine.
I really don't know a quality reporter who would question the validity of someone else's questions anyway.
Unless they're consistently Walsh-like, everyone in there is the same. Dustin is fine.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Inquiring Minds, 08:56:50 12/06/16 Tue [1]

Who asks dumber questions in media scrums? Richie Walsh or Robbie Incmikoski?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Confused, 08:40:47 11/19/16 Sat [1]

Didn't Seth post on his Twitter it was for health and family reasons?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- The Age of Reasons, 13:40:53 11/19/16 Sat [1]

Maybe, but it makes a better story here to say he was making that up.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Clarifier, 16:00:14 11/19/16 Sat [1]

Quoting from what he posted:

"After nearly 10 years of emptying my tank on a daily basis, and doing so at the expense of my health as well as relationships with family and friends, I need to take a step away."

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Sigh, 21:20:46 11/21/16 Mon [1]

Wow, some of you are true believers and drink DK's Kool Aid but unfortunately don't seem to handle reality very well.

Seth was very professional in what he wrote publicly on Twitter because Seth would like to some day get another job in the business.

But I assure you this was 100 percent about his inability to co-exist and see eye to eye with the boss. He had enough of the boss's constant micromanaging and overall management style.

These are the facts.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Confused, 19:31:33 11/23/16 Wed [1]

I can assure you that I am not drinking any Kool-Aid. I have no vested interest in the success of dkpittsburghsports, I'm not even a subscriber any longer. But I'm skeptical there isn't some truth to what he posted. Reading this forum long enough I get the gist DK doesn't have the most sterling reputation so why would somebody openly go work for him knowing that? Especially someone that previously worked with him at the PG.

I thought that was overkill on the beat to begin with and from what I recall before my subscription expired Seth's role didn't seem very clear.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Hockey Scribe, 18:42:36 11/25/16 Fri [1]

Seth was taken off the hockey beat at the Post-Gazette and given some meaningless desk job. He wanted to cover hockey.

DK gave him the chance to continue to cover hockey.

But his micromanaging and constant criticism made it a bad situation and one that was not worth it - which is why he quit without having anything lined up.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Slap Shots, 21:55:21 11/25/16 Fri [1]

Seth was a clerk at the P-G who got to do a blog on the website. Mostly it was pics of fans in jerseys, links to hundreds of other hockey-related articles across the NHL and superfluous in-game play-by-play. If that's being on the hockey beat, it's a pretty generous definition. He got some print bylines when they were shorthanded, especially after they hounded Shelly Anderson off the beat and Jenn Menendez was on maternity leave.

We all have different values but I'll take a "meaningless desk job" that comes with a salary and benefits before I'll rush off to some upstart website that isn't paying a firm figure and has a reputation for treating "employees" like disposable entities.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- RobertoSan, 13:01:02 11/30/16 Wed [1]

GUys like Seth were underused at PG. SOmeone like Seth would have been a natural at DK, but DK didn't use him any better either. Jason Mackey is doing a better job with the Pens beat at PG than he did with the Steelers beat at DK's.

As far as Shelly Anderson, she was a mediocre hockey beat writer. She offered no insight whatsoever in her articles.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Whereabouts?, 16:25:56 02/07/17 Tue [1]

Has Seth been heard from since he left the DK castle?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Mitchell, 17:07:21 02/10/17 Fri [1]

Last I heard he was considering starting up a wacky hockey jersey blog.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- MMPgh, 14:01:08 02/13/17 Mon [1]

He's just taking some extended time off right now. He hasn't said anything about any plans on the horizon yet. Just enjoying himself, playing some hockey, and relaxing. Not bad work if you can get it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Seth Rorabaugh resigns from DKonPittsburghSports -- Johnston Chief, 17:44:58 02/15/17 Wed [1]

Ah Ok thanks, sounds like a good idea not much going on in hockey this time of year anyway.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.