VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:18:25 03/31/00 Fri
Author: ZO
Subject: some solutions?
In reply to: Didi 's message, "Re: Because of some prejudices and other factors..." on 02:52:55 03/31/00 Fri

> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> thank you for answering.

No probs... ;-)

> OK, true. I have noticed your lounge, but the
> difficulty is actually making the step and meeting
> complete strangers. Maybe I'm too afraid to do it on
> my own?

I can imagine that. Its hard to go into a place where everyone knows eachother and you will maybe feel immediately singled out. But its just an intial barrier. As soon as you start talking with people there, Im sure that they will gladly start up a conversation, etc. If you want, two floors up from the student lounge is the VSG office... anyone can always pass by and talk or express concerns. That means you too! =)

> I like the VUB parties,
> but the amount of interesting people you meet there is
> zero. They just go there for the booze and I wonder if
> the Veco parties are the same thing.

Hmm.. Ive gone to a few VUB parties here and there and was also always amazed at how much beer was drunk. People crawling on the floor, passing out... and thats when its a good party! ;-) But the music is great and it starts off well... But its a bit strange to start up a conversation with VUB people... they chatter a second or two and then drink the rest of the time... oh hum.

> I always thought that that Lotus Elise was a VECO car
> ;)

HAHAHA... we thought that too.. but then we all saw some VUB professor drive away in it so...

> Maybe Veco can organize a party by themselves in the
> VUB's ugliest meeting point, the BSG? And hopefully
> you will draw a crowd because Erasmus' "Walk on the
> Wildside" really sucked.

Well, here is the problem. We have done a few parties in the BSG. Not this year though. We just had our OktoberFest last October... thats it. Vesalians seem to like more sofisticated places that aren't a total hole in the ground. Its a VERY diverse and difficult crowd. In the end we have to come to the common denominator which is rent a disco/pub or whole disco (Fuse, etc) and then charge at least 2-300Bef for entrances so as to cover expenses. But it seems like the things they like... Obviously then VUB students find that these prices are totally insane and would never come. I dont blame them.

> Yes maybe. I like bilateral classes. Perhaps VUB
> students should be able to select a VECO course as one
> of their option courses?
> My first intention was not really getting in touch
> with each other through classes, but more closing the
> gap between Veco and VUB by getting more in touch
> through activities?

There IS one class that truely has VUB and VECO students mixed in the same classroom. I was in that class and it was English Litterature... I think. It was a huge aula under the B building. In fact we managed to meet a few VUB students that were just like you... they wanted to be able to have conversations in English and learn about our various cultures. It was fun... but in the end, bsides going out to few pubs together, nothing much evolved. As you said, pity. It would be nice to have as a basic course for all Vesalians (a first or second semester course) a general education course where VUB and VeCo student have class together and learn about eachother (basic Flemish words hello, thanks, etc). There are 60-70 Belgians in our college... but all the rest are pretty much total strangers to the Belgian world. I will bring this up at our next faculty/student meeting. But obviously we would need to know how willing VUB students would be to do something like this!

> It's not really about talking English I guess, it's
> more getting in contact with different cultures,
> expanding horizons and even more meeting "interesting"
> people, who at least have something to say.

Well, then Vesalius is THE place for that.. 300+ students from over 60 countries! Pretty good average for diversity!

> Let me think about it. I know you organized a pool
> contest, that's fun. What about a pool (or even
> bowling) challenge between VECO and some VUB teams?

That sounds like an awesome idea. We will have our 'VeColympics' on May 1st (I think) and that would probably be the best (and only) time to do a sort of comeptition...

Hear you soon!

Lorenzo

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.