VoyForums

Support VoyForums by visiting our sponsor, www.PainEase.com.

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]
Subject: Mountain Bird Ranch, Pagosa, placed for sale with Christies Great Estates

Author:
Mainer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 05/22/05 9:19pm

If you go to www.christiesgreatestates.com you will see
photos of Dan's gorgeous 610 acre ranch, along with his vehicles, up for sale.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Mountain Bird Ranch

Author:
Kelly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/23/05 6:21am

Hi Mainer,

Glad you stopped by. Thanks for taking the time to post. Mountain Bird is a beautiful place, isn't it? I've seen the photos on the site you mentioned and the others on the Joshua site. I got curious after reading a reference to the ranch at ROS. I was hoping it wasn't true, but I found it too, and I suppose there's no avoiding it now.

After the initial shock, and then an odd sort of excitement at seeing the photos, I wished I'd never seen it. Since then, I've been trying to avoid thinking about it. I know, it sounds so stupid, because things change, life goes on, etc etc, but the idea of him selling the ranch really hit me with a wall of sadness. It just brings a lot of things to mind, realities to bear.

I tried to think about it in a more positive light, you know, but it's hard. His studio! His mountains! His life! It just doesn't feel right. Ok, I know, it's not my life. Why should it effect me so? I don't know. It just does. I hope he's alright. I hope it's just a matter of moving on, sailing, painting, relaxing - chasing the song of the sea.
[> [> Subject: Re: Mountain Bird Ranch

Author:
Mainer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/23/05 8:32pm

I think you are right, that he is in the down-scale mode.
He still has his new Maine house and perhaps he will spend more time there, in Santa Fe and other beautiful places.
When you are faced with the illness he has, the need to simplify may take precedence. Maybe also he feels he has entered a new stage of his life, and that it may be time to part company with material obligations that
may be holding him down or perhaps force him to work when he doesn't want to. I am sure he must be very sad to sell it, but also it must be extremely expensive to maintain that property.
By the way, when Kelly mentioned the R.O. and the Joshua site, what did she mean?
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Mountain Bird Ranch

Author:
Kelly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/24/05 5:21am

Iím sorry Mainer, I didnít mean to be cryptic in my earlier post. Iím just a bit lazy sometimes. When I mentioned ROS, I was talking about the River of Souls message board. I assumed anyone reading here would probably know of it. Itís Gregís site Ė one of the few dan boards left. Itís real, and there are good people there. And the Joshua site I was talking about, is just a real estate management company - the local firm thatís handling the ranch listing for Christies. Itís called Joshua & Co. There are some additional photos of the house there.
[> [> [> [> Subject: Mountain Bird Ranch & the Deer head above the Fireplace

Author:
Mainer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/25/05 11:31pm

Dear Kelly,
Thanks for the tip regarding the additional photos on the
Joshua & Co. site. Very interesting to see Dan's deer head above his fireplace. I wonder if Mr. or Ms. Deer has a name? Somehow a deer head on the wall seems a little bit out of character for such a sensitive soul, especially one who supports the World Wildlife Fund. But then again, if you are a guy from Illinois, you may take great pride in "getting your deer" and displaying it (my dad is one of those guys.) There must be a story behind Dan's deer head on the wall. Maybe someone will see this post and answer this question.
[> Subject: Re: Mountain Bird Ranch, Pagosa, placed for sale with Christies Great Estates

Author:
mobird
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/23/05 8:19am

It does sort of feel like the end of something, doesn't it? But perhaps the huge home is too much house for him now, time to simplify. I don't believe he has had horses stabled there for quite a while, and dealing with winter there must be overwhelming. I can barely get my 30' driveway shovelled! Imagine having to constantly plow THAT driveway (I know, he has personnel to do that, but it's still a hard life to live in such a rustic setting).
[> Subject: Re: Mountain Bird Ranch, Pagosa, placed for sale with Christies Great Estates

Author:
Moby Dickens
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/26/05 7:09pm

I agree that it was jarring to see that the ranch was for sale. I'm also hoping that it's not a bad sign, but just a sign that Dan and Jean are moving into a differnt phase of their lives. I think this new house in Maine has been underway since 2003, but I didn't know that the old cottage had been razed to make way for it. That's kind of sad, I guess, but maybe the place was a wreck! Maybe Dan's way of downsizing is selling the ranch and building a million dollar house in Maine. Maybe after the ranch sells he'll buy another smaller place in Colorado. I hope so because he's always seemed to love it so much (except for mud season), and I just connect Colorado and Dan and it would be very hard for me to rewire my brain!

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.