VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]567 ]

Pageant Guru Message Board

Please click on Contact Forum Admin link, above, to report any message that needs to be removed.
Not affiliated with any pageant system

State Websites Social Media Message Boards Community

Subject: Name badges: is there a national MAO vendor that provides name badges for local committees? We are a new board and are in need of them quickly did for our upcoming pageant. Thanks!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:19 01/09/16 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Hey! Is there anywhere to find a detailed history of Miss America contestants back to 1926? I'm curious if there's a contestant list to be found anywhere from that year. Thanks!

Author:
Miss History
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:38:48 01/02/16 Sat

Replies:
Subject: The issue of Miss America and the need for rebranding has been a topic that has been brought up a lot, and I'm curious of your opinions. What is the role of Miss America to you? Who is she and what is her purpose? What kind of appearances do you think she should be doing?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:48:28 01/02/16 Sat

Replies:
Subject: question

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:48:51 01/03/16 Sun

Can a new contestant compete in an open pageant? One that has never competed in the MAO program before? Or must you be a runner up or former titleholder?

Replies:
Subject: This Year's Interview DVD

Author:
Miss America fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:48:07 12/27/15 Sun

I always enjoy purchasing the interview DVD, because often times it sheds light on why a contestant did so well during the final telecast when it wasn't so evident based on their on-stage competitions. Betty was an exception to this, as I felt her interview was the weakest of those included on the DVD. She won the title this year based on her beauty, charm and stellar talent, not her interview. Regarding the judges: they asked A LOT of questions during the allotted time, and the contestants had to be quick on their feet. One judge, (I believe it was Rachel Zalis) often interrupted the contestant before she was allowed to finish her question, which I thought was a bit rude. There were hardly any questions asked related to the personal platforms. Mississippi explained hers when answering another question, which I thought was smart on her part; Virginia's "Power of Performance" platform was never addressed during her interview, nor was New Mexico's (who was the non-finalist interview winner.) Here are my comments regarding the contestants highlighted on this year's DVD.

Georgia -- Betty had a lot of enthusiasm and energy during her interview, but I felt it lacked polish. When asked how she would convince her generation that a celebrity involves more than just being famous, she repeated herself, in much the same way she answered her final question during the telecast. When asked why she decided to compete in the Miss America competition rather than just going on to Broadway, she stated that her life had recently taken a turn and that she was hoping to move to New York and begin auditioning -- but then stated that she really wanted to complete her degree before doing that -- but then stated that she wanted to pursue becoming Miss America because it would be a plus to her when she began auditioning for Broadway. It was a VERY CONFUSING answer. And also, in several interviews she states that she grew up in a home with no cable TV, but says that she grew up watching Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, etc. How is she familiar with those types of shows if she had no cable?? Young adults her age, for the most part, are not familiar with those classic sitcoms -- even though cable is readily available to most homes today. Betty did not finish her closing comments in the allotted 30 seconds -- the other contestants did. Overall, I felt she was trying too hard to impress the judges and the interview didn't have the conversational tone that the others did. My score for her would have been a 6.

Mississippi -- Loved her. With every question she was asked, she didn't miss a beat. You could tell that she is very intelligent, well-rounded, and had a Mississippi charm about her. Definitely more subdued than Betty, I wouldn't have had any problem with Hannah winning, but her violin performance was sub-par and basically an embarrassment to the classical violin community. Would have liked to have seen a bit more personality and humor from her during the course of the interview, but was still very impressed. I would have given her an 8.

Colorado-- The things that wowed me about Colorado were her sense of humor, how respectful she was towards the judges (often times she used the phrases, yes mam, or yes sir), and how she really came across as the girl next door -- someone who didn't want to be disqualified from the Miss America competition because she wasn't performing a trained stage level talent. I loved her honesty about that. She emphasized that she had the intelligence and the heart to become a great Miss America, and that was evident throughout her interview. She had such a natural rapport with the judges that I can see why (despite her talent which I think needed a little more pizzazz) she ended up placing so high. My score for her would have been a 9.

South Carolina-- The word that comes to mind when I think about South Carolina's interview is regal. I loved listening to her speak, and she would have been a great communicator as Miss America. The one thing that resonated throughout her interview is believing in oneself and that everyone can make a difference -- which is one of the reasons she chose to sing "I Believe" for her talent performance. I think she would have made an awesome Miss America, but once again her talent is what held her back from ultimately winning. My interview score for her would have been a 9.

Virginia -- A very intelligent young lady, she impressed me with her vocabulary while responding to the questions posed to her. She was thrown a curve ball question by Kylene Barker, which she didn't know the answer to (I'm surprised Kylene did that did that to her fellow Virginia sister) but she recovered nicely from it in her follow-up question. She emphasized the unique skills that she could bring to the Miss America title, and it's a shame that we didn't get to hear her talent performance as a friend mine stated it was one of the best three talents of the entire pageant during the preliminaries. This is another reason why they should narrow it down to 10 or 12 semi-finalists and let me compete in all phases of competition, rather than wasting time with unnecessary elimination rounds. My score for her would have been a 9.

New Mexico -- Cute as a button, the one thing that bothered me throughout her interview was how she rambled on with her answers, rather than being concise and to the point. Obviously, with this set of judges, she was cut off many times. She was very intelligent and articulate with what she had to say, but somewhere along the line in her preparation for Miss America, her judging coaches should have corrected her about rambling on with her answers. My score for her would have been a 7.

My intent is not to offend anyone with my comments, but these are my honest opinions based on listening to the interview DVD in conjunction with watching the Miss America telecast.

Replies:
Subject: Interview Questions from MA 2016

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:57:20 12/26/15 Sat

With the interview video just coming out, what are some of your most favorite and least liked questions that they asked during interview this year? What did you think were good questions? What did you find inappropriate?

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:56:31 12/31/15 Thu

Replies:
Subject: BEST OF 2015: what are your favorite MAO moments from this year? I'll start by saying the return of Vanessa made me shake (in a good way, of course)!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:54:14 12/31/15 Thu

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:31:06 01/01/16 Fri

Subject: Best Closing Statements

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:36 12/09/15 Wed

Hey yall, I thought this would be fun. What is the best closing statement you have ever heard?
Its interesting to me all the different directions these young women go when they are closing their interviews.

Replies:
Subject: What did Kylene ask her?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:46 12/28/15 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Realizing that we are discussing pageantry here, it would be interesting to hear about all the really brilliant Miss America winners we have had, along with the many really accomplished Miss States academically.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:09 12/08/15 Tue

Replies:
Subject: marilyn meseke's real first name was Mary Ellen. I am wondering who else has changed their name?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:28 12/12/15 Sat

Replies:
Subject: I Won Miss America In 2013 And Here Are 5 Surprising Truths About Pageants

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:29 12/23/15 Wed

http://www.bustle.com/articles/131328-i-won-miss-america-in-2013-and-here-are-5-surprising-truths-about-pageants

Replies:
Subject: Former Miss West Virginia speaks out about physical abuse, rape.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:54:05 12/23/15 Wed

http://www.statejournal.com/story/30799697/former-miss-west-virginia-speaks-out-about-physical-abuse-rape

Replies:
Subject: Fun Miss Appropriate Tap Dance Songs? I don't want to do the same old boring pageant ones..

Author:
I will be tapping in Character Tap Shoes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:23:26 12/10/15 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Where is a good place to purchase a professional grade tutu?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:52:27 12/22/15 Tue

Replies:
Subject: New local in Iowa

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:54:15 12/11/15 Fri

Must reside in these following counties:
Lyon, Osceola, Dickinson, Emmet, Kossuth, Winnebago, Sioux, O'Brien, Clay, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Cherokee, Buena Vista, Pocahontas, Humboldt, Wright, Hancock, Woodbury, Ida, Sac, Calhoun, Webster, Hamilton, Monona, Crawford, Greene, Boone, Story, Harrison, Shelby, Aubudon, Guthrie, Dallas, Polk, Pottawattamie, Cass, Adair, Madison, Warren, Mills,Montgomery, Adams, Union, Clarke, Lucas, Fremont, Page.

email: modelizeit@gmail.com

Replies:
Subject: Virginia is on a pageant break until January 2016.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:28 11/23/15 Mon

State Fair of Virginia - Harlie Dale
Historic Manassas - Catherine Turner
Loudoun County - Eden Potter
Greater Prince William County - Amanda Short
Roanoke Valley - Andolyn Medina
Apple Blossom Festival - Cameron Smith

Replies:
Subject: Miss UT Class of 2016 - Workshop

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:15:46 12/03/15 Thu

Replies:
Subject: TOP 5 (COLLAGE INSIDE)

Author:
lexis-PA ()
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:40:13 09/16/15 Wed

Congrats to our beautiful Top 5!

Last edited by author: Wed September 16, 2015 17:44:20   Edited 1 time.

Replies:
Subject: Who are the Miss Georgia local title holders this far

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:50:52 12/07/15 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Has the date been announced for Miss America Outstanding Teen? Will it be in Orlando again?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:00 12/08/15 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Kimberly Aiken Cockerham joins Miss SC board of directors

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:28:23 12/08/15 Tue

Kim lives in New Jersey with her family. She was the first black Miss South Carolina and the youngest Miss South Carolina -- 18 at the time of crowning. She is Miss America 1994.

Replies:
Subject: Final Ballot: is it still being used at all locals for 2016 titles? When does it get phased out at local level?

Author:
Director
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:18 12/06/15 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Congratulations to Elena LaQuatra (former PA OT 07 and PA Teen USA 2010) on her Miss PA USA win tonight!

Author:
:)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:51:38 12/06/15 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Opening Number for A Local Pageant

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:00:21 11/22/15 Sun

Our local will be held next suummer. We will be using a dance theme, because both our Miss and Teen are dancers. I LOVE the song "Shut Up and Dance." but I know it's been played to death, and I also question if it's appropriate to use for a pageant. Any comments on this?

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 123[4]567 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2015 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.