VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

Welcome

Subject: Bowling in Cathcart nany, many years ago!!

Author:
Mike Bailie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:36:57 01/03/09 Sat

Hi Hamish

I'm sure you don't remember me but we used to bowl together at Cathcart (5 pin) & Hampden (10 pin) about 40 odd years ago. I have followed your career with interest for many years and last saw you in the Marquee Club in London about 1970?? I was working abroad at that time and was back in uk on leave.

I had my big 60th 2008 and of course you have yours later this year.

Perhaps I will get to one of your gigs one of these days!

Best wishes

Mike Bailie
Replies:
Subject: First of the New Year

Author:
Hazel Farrell (9.26a.m. delight!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:57:45 01/01/09 Thu

My husband and I - Oops, wrong speech! I know that 2009 is going to be good as I just heard 'Let's Go Round Again' on Radio 2 at 9.26 and a second. There are two versions aren't there? Can anybody explain it to me?
What will you do with your extra second - I'd like one more top note 'Wo!' from Hamish.
So New Year hey? Resolutions - Nah! Shed some weight perhaps or dine at Hamish's pub, pile some more on and then dance it off to the above recording.
Happy New Year everybody. Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Let It Snow

Author:
Stevie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:17:39 11/14/08 Fri

Nearly time to fire 'Let It Snow' in the car cd player again...time flies!

Stevie
Replies:
Subject: Hamish & Snake @ Aroma Caf

Author:
Hazel Farrell (What a night!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:33:37 12/22/08 Mon

Paul and I were fortunate enough to see Hamish and Snake at Aroma Cafe Bar in Barnsley last Saturday 20th Dec.
Sharing their musical talents in essence form, Hamish played acoustic guitar and Snake, various saxaphones proving adaptability with quite different versions of each others music as they play with various line-ups.
Mutual respect and genuine friendship is a joy to behold.
After eating three courses of food, they played six or seven (didn't have a pen at this stage) pieces mainly from Hamish's repertoire plus three of Snake's.
From memory: You Send Me
Atlantic Avenue
We'll Catch Up Some Other Time
Unspoken Love
Couple of Snake's in there too plus a Stevie Wonder song.
After more food:
Let's Stay Together
Clowdy
How the Mighty Fall
A Love of Your Own
Secret (one of Snake's)
Just the Way You Look Tonight (Barnsley's own Mike Parkinson would have loved that!)
Person to Person
Pick up the Pieces
All of these were performed in a very gentle style which was most fitting for this venue - particularly 'Pieces'.
Hamish looking very well and in good voice after recovering from a recent cold and journeying on with Snake to Guisley where they played on Sunday 21st.
Another memorable entry for the Bumper Fun Book.
We wish them both and theirs a Very Happy Christmas and good things in the New Year.
Cheers everybody! Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Happy Holidays

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:35:36 12/10/08 Wed

Well well here we are again...and thats good. Wishing all here...and Hamish..and the greater Hamish family..a very happy holiday season...and a productive new year. All the best.
Replies:
Subject: Hamish Stuart's Bass Sound on AWB's 1976 'Person to Person' Live Album

Author:
Christian Eitner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:01:28 07/27/08 Sun

Dear Mr Stuart,

Being a long-time AWB fan, I especially appreciate your funky pick-style bass playing on the 1976 live offer 'Person to Person'. (I admit: I'm a pick-style bass player myself.)

For a rather long time I have been searching for the wonderful phaser (?) effect you used on tracks like 'Cut the Cake' or 'I'm the One'. Unfortunately, not even the wide spaces of the Internet could provide this information.

Perhaps you can remember what gear you used back then and could enlighten me?

Thanks for your consideration,

Christian

A devoted fan, bass player from Austria
Replies:
Subject: Found

Author:
Keith L (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:22:12 11/29/08 Sat

Just a short message to anyone who enjoyed Jim Jam 1 and still awaiting JJ2 I came across an album by Jeff Golub called Soul Sessions. I like it!

Check him out he’s a fine Jazz musician and advertises his gigs.
Replies:
Subject: Is it me?

Author:
Keith L (Is it me?)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:18:03 11/15/08 Sat

Did anyone know about this?

LIVE MUSIC AT THE THREE MARINERS
SUNDAY 23RD NOVEMBER
5PM
DAVID MIGDEN WITH ANDY NEWMARK (DRUMS)
PLUS
THE HAMISH STUART BAND

And

Hamish and Snake at

Aroma Cafe in Barnsley on 20th December

I just dont understand why the man does not comunicate on this site about his gigs.
Replies:
Subject: Aroma Cafe

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Ayup!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:08:57 11/17/08 Mon

As the site was down for a while, I was unable to post a message about Aroma Cafe in Barnsley. Although I did contact Keith Linton, Tom Carr and Robert Stuart. We've booked a table of-course. Seeing Snake with Hamish on Dec 20th at this intimate venue will be a good start to the Christmas season for Paul and I.
Early bookings are essential at this bijou cafe.
Subject: Quiet

Author:
Keith L (Quiet)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:52:35 11/02/08 Sun

It’s a bit quiet around here one wonders if it’s worth visiting anymore!
Replies:
Subject: Birthday

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Forgot)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:33:19 10/14/08 Tue

Hope that you had a Happy Birthday Hamish.
Belated but sincere Paul and Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: THE RETURN OF HAMISH - 2 WEEKS AND COUNTING!

Author:
Neil and Sheila McKenna
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:53:42 09/14/08 Sun

Hamish clearly enjoys returning to Darvel and has always been very complimentary about the venue and the organisation of the event but most of all he is thrilled to be ‘coming home’ to play for his Scottish fans. Hamish will be joined on stage by Adam Phillips (guitar), Steve Pearce (bass), Ash Soane (drums), Simon Carter (keyboards) and Bosco De Oliviera (percussion).

As if that was not enough we have lined-up two excellent support acts namely, Lights out by Nine who are great east-coast based blues and soul outfit and Funkilicious who are emerging as one of Scotland’s ‘hottest’ new talents.

With only 350 tickets available and selling fast for this exclusive concert we highly recommend that you take this opportunity to see and hear a true ‘legend’ at this year’s festival.

Ticket cost £20 and Doors open at 7.30pm.

See www.darvelmusicfestival.org for ticket outlets
Replies:
Subject: Jerry Wexler

Author:
Charlie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:58:43 08/19/08 Tue

If it wasn't for Jerry Wexler all those years ago at a party in Hollywood USA, listening to a few rough mixes of Hamish and Alan Gorrie's latest songs, and subsequently bringing them to New York and signing them to Atlantic Records, we possibly would never have had the pleasure of "Pick Up The Pieces" and all the other great Average White Band songs that the lads created with the wonderful Arif Mardin at the helm.

So AWB have a lot to thank mr Jerry Wexler for, as I'm sure they have done over the years.

Jerry sadly passed away on Friday from heart failure at age 91yrs. Jerry had fantastic life of creating wonderful music, and discovering some of the greatest artists in the world like Ray Charles,Otis Redding,Aretha Franklin, Average White Band, to name just a small few of the many artists this guy has worked with.

Jerry has gone to join Ahmet, Arif,Ray,Tom Dowd, up in musical heaven.

What a sad day for Atlantic Records who used to be at forefront of the music industry with all the brilliant artists on their roster of acts, it was a label to be proud to belong too, now their top acts are James Blunt and Kid Rock, jeez give me a break??, how can you compare those people to Aretha Franklin,Ray Charles,Led Zeppelin,Average White Band when all of them were at the top of their game, and making music we will be listening to forever.

It's the end of an era of the great Atlantic Records, now that the Old Team have all now passed away.They were unique in their passion and their vision of music at it's best,they put their faith in so many artists because they believed in them, and now it's all about money, and how many units can you sell.

Goodbye Jerry,Arif,Tom,Ray, you were the best of the best.

Charlie C.
Replies:
Subject: MOARE MUSIC, SEPTEMBER 13 & 14

Author:
CLAIRE
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:10:24 08/22/08 Fri

THE THREE MARINERS PRESENT MOARE MUSIC
TWO DAYS OF EXCELLENT MUSIC, AWARD WINNING ALES, GREAT FOOD AND A LOT OF LOLLING ABOUT ON THE LAWN

SEPTEMBER 13 & 14
12 MIDDAY - 9PM

ACTS INCLUDE:
JIMJAM
JIM LEVERTON
BEN MILLS
GRAHAM LYLE
HAMISH STUART BAND
ROBBIE MACINTOSH
NATALIE WILLIAMS
THE ALL STARS
JIM MULLEN
plus many more to be confirmed

TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
DAY PASS £15
WEEKEND PASS £25

01795 533633
Subject: Hamish with Ringo

Author:
CB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:56:19 06/27/08 Fri

Hi guys, if you go to www.youtube.com and type in the following - "Hamish Stuart- Work To Do 6/22/08" - you will see Hamish singing with Ringo.

Best wishes to all!
Replies:
Subject: The Three Mariners

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Yer man's pub!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:03:36 06/22/08 Sun

Found the direct site for The Three Mariners (Hamish and Claire's pub)in Oare Kent. We'll be there (although Hamish won't be as he's touring with Ringo at the moment) next Sunday 29th June to see Tony O'Malley. If you want a guided tour around the menu and wine list plus opening hours etc. try www.thethreemarinersoare.co.uk. It's a lovely website.
Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Darvel Festival Weekender - 27 September 2008

Author:
Sheila and Neil McKenna
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:50 06/02/08 Mon

We are delighted to announce the return of Hamish and his exceptional band to Darvel on the 27th of September 2008 at Darvel Town Hall.

Our weekend festival runs from 26th to 28th September. Tickets go on sale from 13 June and will be available from Ticketmaster, Tickets Scotland-Glasgow and locally from Walker and Connell, Darvel and Valhalla Music in Kilmarnock.

Alternatively tickets can be purchased from ourselves by sending a cheque payable to Darvel Music Company and adding £1 for p&p. Our address is 158 West Main St, Darvel KA17 0EZ.

Doors 7.30pm - Tickets £20 - Support act (tbc)

Please spread the word and come along to the funkiest and friendliest gig in Scotland!

Thanks

Neil and Sheila x

N & S McKenna
www.darvelmusicfestival.org

PS The festival website is being updated so information about the event will take a few days to show up on site
Replies:
Subject: Tony @ Hamish's

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Info Please!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:21:01 05/04/08 Sun

According to Tony O'Malley's site, he is to play at Hamish's pub The Three Mariners Faversham Kent on 29th June. Say's that it is receiving rave reviews for the food and the music. I want to rave, review, eat, drink and hopefully be there. Where are these reviews? Hazel farrell
Replies:
Subject: Hamish Stuart Band at Ronnie Scotts

Author:
Charlie (joyful)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:46:23 04/02/08 Wed

What can I say about this band that I haven't already said many times over the years.

My two sons Chris and Andy took me along to Ronnie Scotts last night to see the Hamish Stuart Band play. I hadn't been to a gig in nearly two years, so it's only fitting that the first gig I go to is to see Hamish's Band.

From the first song Makin It Up the band were on fire.The proceedings started by the funky Steve Pearce on Bass, bringing the song in with that lovely bass lick he does. By the end of the number the band were firing on all cylinders with great solos from Adam Philips on lead guitar, and Robin Aspland on keyboards building to a climax, and then using light and shade bringing it down again to Hamish,Adam, and Steve singing Makin It Up in unison with Bosco on Percussion and the brilliant Ian Thomas on drums keeping the groove going and pushing the vibe ever so gently. When the song ended the whole room erupted into an enormous roar of appreciation for this wonderful band.

I think Steve Pearce and Ian Thomas must be twins separated at birth, one being given a drum kit, the other a bass, because the chemistry and rapport between them was awe inspiring, they played as one knowing each others every move and thought.( and they are both from Wales ??)
Ian's drums were sounding so punchy and tasty, it just gelled with the bass sound to give the band that foundation it needed to create the magic that is Hamish Stuart Band.

So many highlights,Queeen of My Soul given a good going over samba fashion. What You Gonna Do For Me had a fantastic "feel" with Hamish doing a great vocal on it. Joni Mitchell's song Circles was beautifully played with lovely touches acoustic guitar by Hamish.

Hamish kindly dedicated How The Mighty Fall to me after my long abscence from hearing the band. It was brilliantly played by all the band.

My favourite song of the night has to be Hamish singing Cloudy. This 2008 version is to my mind much better than the 70's version, because he sings it with more warmth and heart than he did way back then.I love the way he phrases it now, it has loads of passion and subtle vocal changes with Steve and Adam joining in the chorus.definately the song of the night for me.

Hamish is playing at Ronnie's tonight, so get down there and groove the night away. Hope he plays Lets Stay Together as he does a stormin version of that.

Nice to be back, hope you enjoyed my rambling on.

Charlie
Replies:
Subject: YOUR COUSIN IRENE HERE

Author:
Irene Stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:31:45 03/22/08 Sat

Hi Hamish if you log in at all would love to hear how you're doing. Tried to ring you mum at christmas but no answer . Was she with you. Sent David a long text asking him but got no reply. Feel like there's hardly any of us "stuarts" left so please get it touch. I'm quite disabled now so can't really get about much , haven't been up to Glasgow or Tarbert since Uncle Jack went. A sad day for us all. My favourite Uncle. It was lovely to see you in Tarbert a few years ago, you haven't changed.

Cheers

Irene
Replies:
Subject: Jimjam TV

Author:
mark ede (happu!!!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:25:23 02/08/08 Fri

Jimjam on TV with Hamish
by mark on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 pm

http://www.yourkenttv.co.uk/community/c ... tegory=109

see 3 TV clips with mein host Hamish Stuart!

Good luck with the new venture H, sounds great,

Hope this doesn't mean you'll morph into Al Murray's pub landlord (Smile!)

Nice one!
Replies:
Subject: Hamish's musicians and Tony O'Malley

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Live at The 606)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:52 02/04/08 Mon

If you enjoyed both Hamish and Tony O'Malley at Darvel Festival last year, you might like to log on to Tony's site www.tonyomalley.com where you can see him play at The 606 with two of his regular musicians Mel Collins (sax) Neil Hubbard (gtr) and three of Hamish's band, Adam Philips (gtr) Ash Soan (drums) and Steve Pearce (bass). He sings one of my favourites 'Trouble' and the apmosphere of the place comes over well.
You can see why Hamish and Tony like to play there and why the audience love to see these great guys in this intimate club. Hazel Farrell
Subject: AWB

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Have a nice day!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:57:02 02/01/08 Fri

I knew that it was to be a good day and it will be now that Ken Bruce has just played 'Let's Go Round Again' on Radio 2. The dancing in the kitchen will do me good too. Hazel Farrell
Subject: 606

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Regular gig)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:56:34 01/23/08 Wed

See that Hamish is to play at The 606 on Mon. 28th January and Mon. 18th February. Hazel Farrell
Subject: What's Happening

Author:
Robert Stuart (Curious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:36:54 01/21/08 Mon

Hi All,

Firstly, best wishes to Hamish, and all the extended family of those good souls who make up the regular users of this site. It's interesting that the last post on the site was Roy Fellows talking turkey ... literally.

Hamish, and chance of updating us loyal supporters with what your plans, musically that is, are for this year? Any planned releases, gigs, other projects etc. Nothing we can 'hold your feet to the fire' for in terms of a schedule but more just to keep the faithful informed.
Surprises are nice, but anticipation lasts longer.

Anything you feel you can, or want to, share with us would at least keep our appetites keen.

All the best,

Robert S.

PS. I take it you are sending a personal invite to Alex Salmond for Darvel later this year ... unless Darvel is suddenly sold off to some Arab Oil Sheiks !
Subject: 'Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow'.

Author:
Roy Fellows
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:22:30 12/25/07 Tue

Hamish - I know it's about 5.15pm on the 25th, but we have just finished our 'Christmas meal' - which would never be complete without 'Let it Snow' playing. It is now firmly estblished as part of our Christmas.

Thanks Hamish.

Good wishes, health and happiness to you and all those you love.

Roy, Anna Rosie and Harry Fellows.
Subject: Merry Christmas

Author:
Stevie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:27:14 12/24/07 Mon

Merry Christmas everybody!
And have a right good HSB new year!

All the Best - see you in '08!

Cheers
Stevie
Replies:
Subject: Update/Salmond

Author:
Hamish (Dismay)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:05:02 12/14/07 Fri

The latest on the "Local Zero" front.
The council guy who made the casting vote (deadlocked at 7-7) to turn down TRUMP has been fired!!!!
Watch--Disneyland Skye--McDonalds/Ben Nevis---We're doomed I tell ye! Doomed!
H.
Replies:
Subject: 606 party

Author:
Gabby Johnson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:46:26 12/17/07 Mon

NO! THAT'S HEDLEY! HEDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replies:
Subject: Let it Snow

Author:
Neil and Sheila McKenna
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:30:42 12/11/07 Tue

Hi Hamish

As we enter the Christmas period the soulful sounds of "Let it Snow" once again reverberate around our house. Thanks again for recording this gem Hamish and peace and love to you,the band,your families and all you good people out there.

Thanks to all who made the Darvel gig so special this year and have a great 2008.

Cheers

Neil and Sheila xx

Darvel Music Festival
www.darvelmusicfestival.org
Replies:
Subject: henway

Author:
Gabby Johnson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:39:41 12/17/07 Mon

NO! WHO'S ON FIRST!
Replies:
Subject: 606 Party

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:26:18 12/10/07 Mon

Hi All,

Just a quick message to wish everyone a very merry christmas and a safe, healthy and happy 2008.

For those of you fortunate enough to be heading to the 606 for the HSB party, have a great one whether it be tonight or tomorrow or both !

To Hamish, Adam, Graham, Big Jim, Steve, Yanto, Anselmo, Bosco and all the other players who variously get subbed into this thing called Team HSB (and especially tonight's guest star striker, Tony O'Malley)thank you for bringing us the music that you do. Now in the immortal words of Hedley Lamaar "go do that voodoo that you do".

God Bless us, every one.

Yrs. Tiny Tim
Replies:
Subject: next tour

Author:
buzz scott (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:16:42 12/11/07 Tue

Hamish when will you come to the the states next? Man we miss you. I was just listening to Soul Searching and I started crying thinking of all the great memories when I was in college and I had evrything you and the band did during that time. (1972-1981) I am 52 now but back in the day the AWB was the shi....and still is. Well we miss you bad please come to the states I will go where you are, as I know many will also, Take care bROTHER BUZZ FROM PITTSBURGH PA.
Subject: A Little Bit of Politics

Author:
Robert Stuart (Disappointed)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:36:14 12/06/07 Thu

Wow ... pretty heavy discussion for this forum.

When you consider this very small piece of the rock called Scotland has provided the world with Steam Power(James Watt) the steam boat (Henry Bell), Penecillin (Fleming), the Road Surface (McAdam) and the pneumatic tyre to drive upon it(Dunlop), the raincoat for when we have to walk in the horizontal Scottish rain (Mackintosh) and the TV to watch when we get home(Logie Baird) ... in fact, I'm sure the Marconi's had a chip shop somewhere around Glasgow, so maybe we can claim radio as well !

Never mind your political colour, it saddens my heart to see this great nation of our's loosen the grip of the London Parliament for the first time since Cromwell only to make a complete ar$e of managing the building project to house our new legislature. If that's not bad enough, did we really work so hard to refuse the Queen's Shilling so we could accept the Yankee Dollar so easily ? Sadly, credibility of some runs like sand through the fingers of Fulton McKay.

Adam Smith in his Wealth of Nations taught the world the principles of the marketplace and how cash can manipulate the market. He did not teach us that we have to be the embodiment of the principle.

I despair ... I really do. As Oor Wullie would have put it "Jings, Crivvens, Help ma Boab".

Maybe a new Hamish CD will lift my mood ?

Yrs. Burt Lancaster

ps. Just in case any US friends want to re-write history, Philo Farnsworth did not invent TV before Baird.
Replies:
Subject: Et Al

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:14:59 12/08/07 Sat

Just because someone posts with the name of Hamish, does it really mean that it's him?

Would the poster actually know what JJ2 was?

Me? I'll reserve my judgement.

H (or is it?)
Replies:
  • Re: Et Al -- Harry (verification), 06:55:06 12/08/07 Sat
Subject: 606 Club

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:28:31 10/14/07 Sun

Fans from the north of England and Scotland are still reeling from the recent performances. Folk in the south now have their chance to see Hamish play at The 606 on Oct 22nd. Hamish is so 'at home' at this venue - always excellent of-course. Very good catering too! Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: cameo

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:01:33 12/07/07 Fri

There will never be a "cameo".
Replies:
Subject: Colne

Author:
paul twiby (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:57:09 12/08/07 Sat

On a lighter note...just seen an excellent review of the Colne concert in "In the Basement" mag where the writer states "This may be his favorite show of all time!"
Hamish...You Got It.......
Subject: Gig Guide

Author:
Ray
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:41:42 12/08/07 Sat

Any chance of updating the Gig Guide
Subject: salmond

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:03:39 12/04/07 Tue

I will talk about anything I like!
Salmond pissed me off!
Best.
H.
Replies:
Subject: SNP Vs. Locals

Author:
Hamish (Mad as HELL)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:41:49 12/03/07 Mon

So Alex Salmond shows his true colours and we get an idea of how he'd run an independant Scotland--SELL IT OFF TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER!!!!!
Billionaire developer Donald Trump wants to build golf courses an Hotel and a load of houses on a beautiful stretch of Aberdeenshire coastline and one guy holds out, won't sell him the land, the council votes against Trump and our knoble saviour "ALEX" rides in to say he'll overrule the council and make sure Trump gets his wish--The old saying "money doesn't talk, it swears" still holds true! This is the future under Salmond.
God help us!
We need a local hero.
Replies:
Subject: New Movie

Author:
Jock (Mad Too)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:58:19 12/04/07 Tue

Coming to a theater near you "LOCAL ZERO" Billionaire tycoon wants to build on great sight of natural beauty and the locals resist the offer. In rides the zero saying to the locals--"I overrule you peasant councilmen" "The BUCKS stop here!"
And they lived unhappily ever after.
Subject: Christmas Party

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Christmas Cracker)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:52 11/20/07 Tue

Knowing that some of Hamish's fans also enjoy Tony O'Malley's music, I'm sure the following dates at The 606 Club in London will be of interest:
Thurs 6th Dec. Tony O'Malley with his band.
9th and 10th Dec. Hamish Stuart's Christmas Party when Tony will also be playing - Yes, two nights this year.
Very popular event each year and we've booked for the Monday. Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Hamish to play Churchill's Southend Sunday 25/11

Author:
Mick Crook
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:53:08 11/20/07 Tue

The Hamish Stuart Band
Live@Churchill's cafe/bar
Central Southend
Southend-on-Sea
Essex SS1 2BB
01702 61766

Sunday 25th November 2008
Doors open 12pm,music from 1pm-3.45pm
Admission £7, students £4
Subject: video from darvel

Author:
mark ede
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:13 10/22/07 Mon

Somone (not me.I wasn't there!) has put up some video from Darvel at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bNc9E4eFLZo

which features one of my favourite British voices (Pete Cox), doing my a song composed by my favouriye artist (lewis Taylor) with my favourite band (Hamish and co.)

Much as I love the tones in Petes voice, though, I still think 20 year old Chantelle sings this number better than anyone (Lewis included) and all whilst holding a cup of tea and watching a horror movie!! Impressive stuff!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHmoGt2asE
Subject: Birthday

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Celebrate)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:26:26 10/08/07 Mon

Happy birthday Hamith! Hope that you get lots of lovely surprises - cards, messages and prezzies. Lots of love from Paul and Hazel Farrell Manchester
Replies:
  • Re: Birthday -- robert stuart (lighting up candles), 03:49:26 10/08/07 Mon
Subject: Darvel '07 - Match Report

Author:
robert stuart (dazed and confused ... but happy !)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:32:49 10/01/07 Mon

I need to write a letter to Gordon Brown. Neil & Sheila McKenna should be given some kind of award, an OBE or MBE ... no, in fact, I'll write to the Queen. Nothing short of Sir Neil and Dame Sheila will do ... even better yet, I'll write to the Pope to see if they can be cannonised ... even if they're not catholic ... I don't care. SOMETHING has to be done to recognise the selfless efforts of these folks, and the many others, who have organised this festival for the whole of it's existence. How they ever managed to pull together a line up that even the best-of-the-best jazz clubs couldn't manage, and then get them to come to Darvel on a cold autumn night, I will never know. No offence Darvel, but you rarely see New York, Las Vegas ... Darvel in the same sentence ... except maybe here !

The evening kicked off with Tony O'Malley, a mic and a Roland keyboard. That's all he needed (OK ... the drum machine got turned on later) but the lingering jangle of the keys meshed perfectly with Tony's gravelly, soulful vocals. He ran through some standards like Paul Simon's “Still Crazy”. Paul Anka's “My Way” came straight from the heart, as did several of Tony's own compositions like “When Your Love Has Gone” from the 'Oh' CD. An unexpected highlight was when Tony announced he'd been requested by the organisers to do some Kokomo stuff and that some old friends would be joining him. On came Yanto on drums, Steve Pierce on bass, Adam Phillips on guitar and Hamish Stuart on guitar. They launched into Bobby Womack's “I Can Understand It” from the first Kokomo album, which featured a blistering solo from Adam, as he cooly sat, legs crossed, on top of a Peavey combo. How do you make it look so bloomin' easy Adam ? I felt like I'd been teleported back to 1975. It was all cheesecloth shirts with big gaps between the buttons and skin tight Wrangler jeans ... and that was just the girls ! This track is a favourite of mine, and we were honoured to see and hear it being played by just about the best damned jamming band you assemble.

Next on the bill was the Ian Shaw Trio with Guy Barker guesting on trumpet. I had heard of Ian before, but had never heard him. What an absolute delight. A swooping and soaring voice, and more than a hint of tongue-in-cheek mischief, as witnessed by his brief Kate Bush impersonation. Think the offspring of Al Jarreau and George Melly meets the moodiness of Billy McKenzie and you're not too far wrong. His band were amazing as they followed his every vocal nuance. Wherever Ian chose to take them, they were there in an instant as if they were magnetically linked. Bossa Nova beat to samba to 6/8 jazz timings and all the way back again in a seamless fluid movement. You could not have forced a Rizla between Ian and his trio. Ray Charles and Joni Mitchell numbers were given the Shaw treatment, with Guy Barker firing notes out of his trumpet like bullets from a snipers rifle. Every note hit it's specific target 'dead on' every time. Oh Ian ... we could drink a case or two of you ... and then some more. Come back to Scotland soon please.

By the time Hamish and the HSB hit the stage the crowd were well warmed up. It was a delight to hear them open up with “What You Gonna Do For Me”, as I'd not heard them play that number live before. Some other HSB live classics followed like “Atlantic Avenue” with Anselmo Netto adding some delightful texture with a variety of percussion tools, 'Unspoken Love', 'Man With A Mission', 'Queen Of My Soul' and of course he once again did 'Cloudy' for his favourite lady, who despite her years and walking stick, was up and grooving with the best of them. Lang may yer lum reek Mrs. Stuart.

Hamish then welcomed Peter Cox onto the stage and the guys started with a rousing version of the Temptations 'Can't Get Next To You' which was the best version I've heard of this song since Jess Roden's Live EP from 1976'ish. Peter Cox's voice suited the choice of classic soul numbers to a tee. How could he be anything other than brilliant as he pulled the best out of the band and the backing players brought out the best in Peter's voice. His husky soulful strains burst out across the hall and we were treated to a real gem of a set within a set..

Hamish returned to the fore with a few more numbers. The blessed Ray Charles' torch song 'Just For A Thrill' was a highlight and before we knew it we had reached 'Person to Person' time with Steve Pierce treating us to some 'slap and thwack' bass playing. Eat your heart out Mark King. You sometimes forget about Yanto, as he is just so solid and dependable. No flash, no spinning drumsticks, just the best damned drummer you could ever wish to hear. The band trooped off to thunderous applause as we waited for them to return for 'Pieces'. Hamish got every player he could find onto the stage for the encore. It's a shame Pete Cox was MIA as he could really have added some great vocals to what came next. The band struck up and Hamish amazed us all by leading into Marvin Gaye's 'What's Goin On'. Tony O'Malley duetted and laid some backing keys for Graham Harvey's fantastic solo. How do you follow a band like that covering Marvin, unless it's with a rip-roaring version of 'Pieces' as the entire hall errupted and every available space was filled with dancing and folks just “gettin' down with it”.

I would never have thought that we would end the night having seen HSB back up Tony on Kokomo stuff, and then Pete Cox and then cover Marvin Gaye ... it was simply too much to take in. It was wonderful though, and we were fortunate enough to have been there. If you were there too, lucky you. If you missed it ... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear (to steal a line from David Francie).

Thanks to the organisers, thanks to the (many) performers, and thanks to the audience who made a special night even more special for all who witnessed this incredible event. Next Year ? ... Book 'em all up NOW. I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog already.
Replies:
Subject: wellington college

Author:
tony wade (kewl)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:27:58 06/14/07 Thu

Hamish, if you see this, drop us a line. I have a picture of us and Mark Waters in our first band at Wellington, taken by the local paper in Crowthorne. You were our drummer.
Remember?
We also played at the Troubador in Earls Court.
I am a tv producer/director now and have been for 40 years.
Cheers,
Tony
589C
Replies:
Subject: fender

Author:
mick breen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:09:18 11/24/06 Fri

hi guys and gals
just caught on tv a celebration of 50 years of the stratacaster, guess who the rythm section was, yep ian the tank and pino, backing guys like dave gilmour, ronnie lane, joe walsh etc.
quality !!
Replies:
Subject: Easy Pieces

Author:
Max Ahmed (help)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:32 03/30/07 Fri

Folks, many years ago (at least 19) on Radio 1 I heard the track "trust one another" by Easy Pieces which was a group founded by our Hamish! The DJ was Andy Peebles and it was a song on his Sunday evening show. Andy is on air in manchester and despite me asking him to play this song I think that he can't get his hands on it any more..Is there anyone here who can suggest where i can get this CD (ideally) from? For those that have not heard it yet...its worth the wait! Why am i after it now? I lost the cassette :(
Max
Replies:
Subject: Match Report

Author:
Paul Twiby (Soulful)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:30:32 10/03/07 Wed

Robert, an excellent match report,hope Hamish brings this show down to Yorkshire soon!!!! I went Wow when I Saw your comments about Jess Roden,whos album "Its the Player not the game" stands alongside AWB White album as my favourites ever!!!Now theres a combination Hamish Stuart and Jess Roden...Do you know what Jess is up to currently?
Replies:
Subject: Hamish and Peter

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Question)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:09:05 10/02/07 Tue

Where and when have Hamish and Peter Cox joined forces before? I've missed that connection altogether. Hazel
Replies:
Subject: Darvel '07

Author:
robert stuart (still in shock)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:37:43 09/30/07 Sun

Oh My God ... pinch me, 'cos I must be dreaming. Either that or I've died and gone to heaven. So much happened in the 4+ hours that we were entertained last night that I've still to unscramble it all so I can write the usual match report. The summary is:

Tony O'Malley ... absolutely brilliant.

Tony O'malley with Yanto, Adam, Hamish, Steve and Anselmo playing Kokomo stuff ... awesomely brilliant.

Ian Shaw and Guy Barker ... breathtakingly astounding.

Hamish & the lads ... need I say more.

Hamish and the lads with Peter Cox ... nearing orgasm !

Hamish and everyone in a Jam Session doing Marvin's 'What's Goin On' ... OH MY GOD ... Get me some clean underwear and a cigarette [and I don't even smoke].

What was the difference between Darvel '07 and an egg ?

Well ... you can beat an egg ... but last night ...O M G !!

More later when I've regained my composure.

Robert
Replies:
Subject: Store-bought Underwear

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:15 09/30/07 Sun

Im tired of you guys..with your fancy schmancy..Store-bought Underwear...always braggin...bringin it up. But Robert...tell us...did you..or did you not...enjoy the show. What are you sayin.
Replies:
Subject: Tony OMalley and Hamish

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:15 09/28/07 Fri

Call me crazy..its OK. But Man...would I love a duet..on an album...live or not...with Hamish...and Tony OMalley. They have worked together...but..Id love to hear them...together vocally. Tony's in town.
Replies:
Subject: Darvel

Author:
Stevie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:46 08/19/07 Sun

Alright?

Got my Darvel tickets....any idea of the line up for the gig? If so see me in the Black Bull beforehand to advise.

Cheers
Stevie
Replies:
Subject: Hamish

Author:
Kimberly (Happy but a little sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:49:08 08/30/07 Thu

Going to see AWB next week; will miss Hamish. Wouldn't it be nice if they could perform together sometime??? How about it Hamish???
Subject: Colne Festival

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Report)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:47:50 08/28/07 Tue

Just back after a great weekend in Colne for The R&B Festival where Hamish and Boys played at the International Stage on Sunday evening.
Hamish appearing without beard, Steve Pierce looking gorgeous with tan, Adam looking a bit chilled with jacket, Ash drumming well and an absolute poppet, Bosco - ageless and focused and on keyboards was Jim Watson who played plenty.
Opening with Making it Up - solos from Adam and Hamish.
Atlantic Avenue which is now a much more Latin number with Bosco around.
Unspoken Love - always the heart wrenching love song with good bass from Steve.
Mohammed Ali - now a more melodic version with stronger beat and a little shadow boxing from Hamish.
Queen of my Soul - again Latin interpretation these days.
Just for a Thrill - tribute to Ray from Hamish - both Ash and Bosco had their two penneth.
Person to Person had a funky beat and as usual they all join in the lyrics.
Encore was predictably Pick up the Pieces which is different every time. The audience joined in this crowd pleaser with clapping and chanting of the title as requested by Hamish with his good connection with everybody.
By this time, Hamish had them in the palm of his hand.
Looking forward to seeing everybody Darvel on 29th Sept.
Paul is the distinguished one with silver hair, beard and specs. Me, well I'll manage to shine through somehow whilst enjoying the Scottish hospitality the like of which we've just experienced from the Lacashire folk.
Now how about one of you lyricists writing a blues song starting with 'The beard has gone'... Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Colne R&B Festival.

Author:
Jools
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:42:48 08/20/07 Mon

Hi,
I'm going to see Hamish at the above venue this Sunday.
I was wondering if anyone knows what songs Hamish will most likely be performing?
Many Thanks,
Jools.
Replies:
Subject: You, Steve and Quincy Jones

Author:
H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:23:24 08/17/07 Fri

Hi Hamish

Steve sent me In the heat of the Night that you both did with Quincy Jones.........EXCELLENT!!!!!.....seems an understatement really. Hope all is good with you.

Be good to see/hear you again soon.

Much love

H. xxxxxx
Subject: Sooner Or Later

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:02:13 08/11/07 Sat

This morning I decided to listen to "Sooner Or Later" again. It had been a while since I had and thought that it was about time.

As I write this "Reach You" is playing and it's still fresh. This track follows on from a short track called "Or" which, if you, like me like to hear a sax then this track is a must, but having said that the sax on "Reach You" is spot on."New Kind of Fool" has just came on, vocals are excellent here.

Does anyone think (like me) that "Later" could be developed a bit more?

Now I must confess that I've just repeated "Reach You" and it's great isn't it? Perhaps I can hope that he plays this in Darvel.

This is a pleasant way to spend a Saturday morning.

Anyway, time to move on, things to do people to see etc etc.

Regards to all.

Tom Carr

p.s. Hame where are you?
Replies:
Subject: Hamish Stuart

Author:
Tony Bush
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:08 07/26/07 Thu

Would Hamish ever play a date with AWB again?
Replies:
Subject: Tracks Of His Ears or whatever

Author:
Jock
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:31:13 07/19/07 Thu

I've got a competition for you--
Which one of the songs suggested for Hamish to cover would he never dream of going near?
Replies:
Subject: 606

Author:
Hazel Farrell (Gigs)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:27:55 08/01/07 Wed

Whilst some are looking forward to Colne R&B Fest on 26th Aug. and Darvel Music Fest on 29th Dept. (including me) Hamish is to play at The 606 on Mon 3rd Sept which might suit folk in the south more. By the way, don't vote off my chosen song (Your Love So Bad)for Hamish's Fans Fantasy Album as I'm a bad loser and not good with rejection! Hazel Farrell
Subject: Interview

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:16:29 07/18/07 Wed

I realise that Hamish is very busy and good luck to him.He's got to earn a living, just like the rest of us (well not quite, I don't work in Vegas, Russia or even the world famous Darvel!)

Anyway it seems to me that it is almost impossible for him to respond to every single post on this site.

However, does anyone think that it would be a good idea for all of us to put our questions in the one place (just like an interview) and he could (if he has the time)answer them all without wading through the various discussions we have had over the months?

So, if you think this is a good idea then tag your questions onto this post. Remember to try to keep them simple,short and sweet.

Tom Carr
Replies:
Subject: JJ2

Author:
Keith Linton (Withdrawal symptoms creeping in)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:14:09 07/07/07 Sat

Hamish whatever happened to JJ2 last we heard it was going to final mixing you must be so busy with other projects that again it’s been put on the back burner!! Any chance of turning up the heat this year? I’ve saved my pennies and now I’m accruing interest on my savings at this rate I’ll be able to afford to buy JJ3, JJ4 and JJ5 all at the same time.
See you at Darvel.
Subject: Good friends

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:59:34 07/04/07 Wed

Think that Hamish will see that his fans are good buddies whenever/wherever we meet. Even if we don't, then we still have his site for the loyal ones. This shared humour has been good for us and 'cheap labour' for Hamish! Any helicopter drivers in the team? Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: The Tracks of our Years

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:16:38 06/30/07 Sat

Okay so the final track listing for "The Tracks of our Years" has now been settled and it is as follows:

Change is gonna come
People get ready
Tired of being alone
Try a little tenderness
Just a gigilo
For the love of you
Your love so bad
This old heart of mine
If this world was mine
Hurts so bad
Dark end of the street (compilers choice)
Oh girl
I'll be home
Much too much

I'd buy this album, wouldn't you?

Naturally, it will be released on the Hydrochloric Label!

Head of production - Harry
Tour management - Hazel
Advertising & Sales - Keith Linton
Roadies - Everybody Else

This was good fun.

See you at Darvel.

Now, keep the website moving and changing, anything that doesn't will die.

Regards to all.

Tom

p.s. I wonder if Hamish realises that he's got an album coming out and probably another tour!!!
Replies:
Subject: Tracks Of Our Years - Update

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:28:40 06/26/07 Tue

Okay, so I've been going through the suggestions and here's the album so far:

Change is Gonna Come
People Get Ready
Tired of Being Alone
These Arms of Mine
Oh Girl
Try a Little Tenderness
Smile
Just a Gigilo
For The Love Of You
I'll Be Home
Much too Much

Not too shabby an album so far! But we can do better. I think that there should be about 15 tracks on our album so,let's have your last track suggestions before the album is finalised. Naturally, stronger track suggestions will force out weaker tracks.

Now we need a name for the album - suggestions please. How about Hamish Stuart "At His Best" or "At Your Suggestion"

Lastly, we should think about how we would like to hear these tracks. Should it be acoustic only, with the HSB or a mix?

Tom
Replies:
Subject: The Tom Carr Idea

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:41:26 06/29/07 Fri

Building on the Tom Carr...discussion..idea. If HSB...were doing an album every two..three years..Id be very welcoming of..an acoustic effort. But..that said...Id be more in favor of the full on ..HSB...if at all possible. Name?...How about "Highly recommended"...Yet another song idea?..A bluesey soaked..Hamish version of "Still crazy after all these years". This is a forum discussion..of course..any Hamish effort for us...whatever he wants..is eagerly awaited.
Subject: Recognise This Hamish ?

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:46:15 06/29/07 Fri

Hi,

While meandering through e-bay land, I discovered this posting: 160132661318.

Do you remember this axe Hamish ?

Cheers ... Robert
Subject: Tracks of our Years

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:51:32 06/24/07 Sun

I know that Hamish is busy just now and that he can't have very much time for this site. I wondered if there was some way that we could get the site going a bit as it seems to be a bit quiet recently.

This led me to thinking about what songs we could suggest that he would want to sing and that we would want to hear. The only constraint is that it shouldn't be anything he has ever recorded.

Some old Tamla perhaps, some Otis, some James Brown, or Bacharach, or even Sinatra!! Anything goes (to coin a phrase)

C'mon let's have some suggestions

Meanwhile, if nobody responds, I'll look forward to seeing him in Darvel again.

Tom
Replies:
Subject: Paul McCartney blog

Author:
Louis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:59:12 06/18/07 Mon

Hey Hamish & co! I think there is a post over on AWB's site that someone from your organization really ought to have a read at. It's in Discussion Forum & the heading is "Interesting webpage". Something about Hamish & Paul.
Subject: Alright?

Author:
Stevie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:36:05 06/02/07 Sat

Alright?

Thought I would start a conversation as things are quiet on the site at the minute. Had a good weekend - met Mick Breen and found that his bro Joe is doing just fine. Went to a friend's birthday party and came home at this late hour (0335) and put on AWB at Montreux 1977 - it's coming up on 30 years since that gig. Hamish is superb (the main man - what about his version of Grapevine?).
Looking forward to Darvel.

Cheers
Stevie
Replies:
Subject: Colne

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:53:14 04/25/07 Wed

As soon as I saw that Hamish is to play at The R & B Festival in Colne, I bought two weekend tickets. As Colne is a small town with no large hotels and this annual event is huge, we'll be staying ten miles away. This one's new to us and we're looking forward to it. Hazel Farrell Manchester
Replies:
Subject: Hamish - Soul Family Sunday @ Ronnie Scott's

Author:
Priya Walia (Woohoo!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:53:00 04/20/07 Fri

Hey Hamish,

I saw you on Sunday at Ronnie Scott's and thought you were amazing! I'm the one who told you (in a slightly drunken stupor) that you got da dirty dirteeee funk...oh yes! Lol...thanx for blessing us with your sound, it was uplifting. Hope your eye is OK!

Priya xXx
Replies:
Subject: Darvel Music Festival 2007

Author:
Neil and Sheila
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:45 04/18/07 Wed

Just a quick update on this years gig; the excellent HSB will headline a great day of jazz and soul on 29 September and be joined by the brilliant Iain Shaw Jazz Trio with special guest, Guy Barker and the wonderful Tony O'Malley who is coming over from Tblisi in Georgia.

Tickets will cost £16.50 and there will be a free afternoon concert on the same day.

Tickets will be ready by mid-May and if you have not already done so, reservations can be taken by e-mailing us at info@darvelmusicfestival.org

Should be another classic night at the festival and we hope that Peter Cox (ex Go-West) will be able to appear with Hamish and the band as well.

Cheers

Neil and Sheila
Subject: joe

Author:
mick breen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:44:43 04/12/07 Thu

unfortunately Joe's 60th was somewhat spoiled as he was rushed in to hospital on it, he is today having an operation to unblock his bowel so his 60th was spent ala stobhill hospital
Replies:
  • Re: joe -- Stevie, 15:31:12 04/13/07 Fri
Subject: hamish

Author:
mick breen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:13:51 04/08/07 Sun

hamish
good to see you are having your usual pilgrimage to Darvel
will try to drag Joe to see you,
am just heading out to see him and give him an ipod shuffle for his 60th birthday 2moro,will include some your traks when I set it up for him
cya
Replies:
Subject: Hamish on www.youtube.com

Author:
Craig Braverman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:38:38 03/05/07 Mon

Hi all, just wanted to give you a heads up, there is a nice video of of Hamish on www.youtube.com. Just copy and paste this url in to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwwcyMZASyY

Best wishes to all!
Craig and Rose
Replies:
Subject: Gigs in the USA

Author:
Chuck Colson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:39:15 03/03/07 Sat

Hello Hamish, I am wondering if it would be possible for you to tour some venues on the east coast of the United States. It seems that your popularity here in Pennsylvania is growing and we would love to have you play for us some time. I just bought the Jim Jam CD and it is absolutely wonderful. Real Live is great.....everything you have put out is great! We need your presence here! Oh! And while you're at it, a new CD would be swell too!
Thanks so much, a big fan, Chuck Colson
Replies:
Subject: `ABSOLUTION`

Author:
Louis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:43:01 03/22/07 Thu

Hey Hamish! Not sure how busy you are but things are moving steadily ahead & there are some new players. Let me know if there is any interest? CHEERS! Louis
Subject: YouTube

Author:
H (Funky)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:43:45 03/09/07 Fri

Hi Hamish

Just watched Pick up the Pieces on youtube that someone had posted on your message site. I don't know who the other musicians are but it sure sounds funky as always. Hope to see you at the 606 soon. Keep on doing what you're doing it's pure class!!!!!!!!

Lots of love

H. xxxx
Subject: Old mate of Hamish

Author:
Keith Linton (Wish I could get to see him live with Hamish)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:51:14 03/08/07 Thu

Have a look at this Tony is a very old mate of Hamishes. Hamish and Tony have recorded together although Hamish was only backing him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FOru6LHe2E
Replies:
Subject: Merrylee Primary School

Author:
Ray Chapman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:27:01 03/09/07 Fri

Hi Hamish.

Booked a table to come and see you at Churchills on April 1st.Just to let you know I will bring some copies of our school photograph from our last year at Merrylee. I know you liked the football photo this will be another one for the collection.
Cheers Ray
Subject: Recordings

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:44:38 02/24/07 Sat

Hamish

We, the fans, have been patient and understanding. We've been waiting. We've seen you on the Soul Brittania being interviewed (unbearded)and playing PUTP (bearded). We've seen you at Darvel, the Cinimmon Club. The 606 etc. We've also been told that new recordings are on their way but they're not here yet. We know that it's important for you to polish recordings and to try to get the best distribution deal that you can.

We know you're busy, but would it be possible to put a couple of samples on this site so that we could all get a taster of what's on the way?

Come on Hame, it can't be that difficult. How about it?

Kind regards

Tom Carr

p.s. If there's anyone out there that agrees with me why don't you add your name to this on line petition. Tony won't listen but maybe Hame will.

p.p.s.How about letting us know when and where you're going to appear. I only came across Soul Brittania by accident and according to this site the only date you have was at the 606 at Christmas last year.
Replies:
Subject: Darvel Music Festival 2007

Author:
N & S McKenna
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:45 02/27/07 Tue

Hi Hamish

Just wondered if you could contact me to discuss this years festival. I have emailed the contact email on the website quite a few times (i know you are very busy, studio etc). We really hope you will come back again to grace us with your bands groove!!

Cheers

Neil and Sheila
Replies:
Subject: Soul Brittania

Author:
Stevie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:34:55 02/23/07 Fri

Hey Mr. H what's the beard all about - is it that cold in Russia? Only kiddin' good to see you on TV - only wish they'd given you a singing spot too.

Cheers
Stevie
Subject: Morrisey/Mullen

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:36:00 02/03/07 Sat

I spoke to Jim about this "bootleg" situation and he's heard nothing! ---So---as I said before--- Being the surviving member of this much loved duo I think he's the man you should be talikng to!
His is the most important opinion at any stage in this.
Replies:
Subject: H on the box

Author:
Grant
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:15:56 02/10/07 Sat

Nice to see the albeit short interview with Hamish on Soul Britannia. Interesting piece about Mr Brown being a tad upset about PUTP!
Hope I look as good as H does when I get to his age, (which isn't that far away!)

Grant
Replies:
Subject: Gateshead Gig

Author:
Keith Linton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:41:51 02/07/07 Wed

Hamish it’s nice to see that you are brave enough to come back to the North East, good man!!!

The Sage is a most amazing building and I think you will enjoy performing there however I would like to know if you are bringing the band with you and if you will be performing.

The promotion of this Gig is not very wide spread and I’m having difficulties finding out what all the artists are doing and if you are just backing them. I done a little promotion for you and told the rest of the die hard fans what’s going on.

Missed you at the Black Bull maybe this time it’s your shout.
Replies:
Subject: Morrissey Mullen Live Recordings

Author:
Chris Heath (What's The Word / Soul Reality)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:41:09 01/29/07 Mon

Hi Hamish! Been a while.

I have recently dusted off my old collection of live Morrissey Mullen recordings, and they are now on my computer, in a format that can easily be transferred to CD.
The recordings are a mixture of BBC and independent radio recordings, and "desk mixes" recorded by their roadie between 1980 and 1985.

I have also written some sleevenotes to go on the CDs.

The sound balance and quality (especially on the desk recordings) is not sufficiently good to be used commercially. But I thought they miht be of interest to a "closed user group" of die-hard fans and close friends. I am arranging to send a set to Jasper Morrissey, and was wondering whether Hamish or Jim would also like a set.

Please feel free to reply to the e-mail address above.

Regards,

Chris
Replies:
Subject: Morrisey/Mullen

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:34:29 02/03/07 Sat

I spoke to Jim about this "bootleg" situation and he's heard nothing! ---So---as I said before--- Being the the surviving member of this much loved duo I think he's the man you should be talikng to!
His is the most important opinion at any stage in this.
Subject: Morrisey Mullen

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:54:29 02/01/07 Thu

Regarding "Morrisey Mullen" anybody wishing to do anything with any kind of recording should approach the artist direct.

In other words Jim Mullen as he is the surviving half of the duo who made all this music.
Subject: da band last monday

Author:
mark
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:23:07 01/31/07 Wed

The gig itself on Monday was sensational. I've seen thousands of gigs over the years, specialised in soul radio and I've even organised and/or promoted gigs featuring many of the UK's (and elsewhere) finest groove based artists including, amongst many others, AWB members, Jim Mullen, Ola, Alison David, Tony O'Malley, some hippy guitar player called Adam Phillips (?) or somesuch!!, Ash Soan (Britains greatest natural groove drummer), Dave Ital, Jason Rebello, Jeff Lorber, Lewis Taylor (the worlds greatest natural musician), blah blah, blah and I've long thought the HSB were as good as it gets.

A quite irresistable combination of soul, songwriting, groove, taste, soloing, ensemble interaction and showmanship. And whats more they never really play the same way twice so it's always an organic experience.

Monday Hamish was on particularly strong vocal form - what a joy to hear that trademark raspy falsetto on tunes like 'Cloudy' and, a long time favourite 'If I Ever Lose This Heaven'. H talked about the middle eight of 'Queen of My Soul' being a 'philosophy' and he certainly brings it home with every song he performs.

Special mention for storming rhythm section although Steve Pearce needs a new microphone. His one kept going out of tune*

And for keyboard player, Jim Watson. Animal!!!!

*Only joking Steve. I don't think Adams mic was switched on. Fergie!! Sort it ouuuttt!!!
Subject: Hamish.Stuart.Band Wanted By Collector

Author:
Michael.Drucas.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:34:50 01/17/07 Wed

Hamish.Stuart.Band wanted by collector Concerts recorded from the audience.Video filmed from the audience.AWB wanted VHS video of 1980 Concert that had 1 song live from London Lets Go Round Again.Also Wanted AWB 1972-1982 Concert Posters,Flyers,Tickets Unused Or Stubs.High Prices Paid.Please Phone Michael.781-598-3936 Or E-mail michaeldrucas@yahoo.com
Replies:
Subject: Morrissey and Mullen

Author:
Mark Ede
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:20:29 01/19/07 Fri

Since H himself mentioned his name, enjoy...

Thnx to the efforts of Chris and Scotty, you can hear a live cut of MM in all their glory by going to:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/meetingplace/ and scroll to the foot of the page and right click/save target as She Is My Lady

For all Jim's clever jazzy playing on his solo it's when he plays the blues toward the end that makes me go to that place women go to when they eat chocolate.

And Dick...well, it all comes flooding back. There are some great players about - and of course Brecker comes to mind - but even Brecker, for all his greatness and fantastic technique never had that killer combination of tone, endlessly melodic phrasing, 'feel' (I guess what jazzers call swing, but I call 'time'?) which, added together, created the 'soul', which so characterised Dick's playing.

Dick Morrissey, friend of Hamish Stuart (thanx for the MM re-issue H!!!) and, for my money, the most soulful saxophonist ever to walk the planet. Hope he and Mike are trading licks in the big sax gig in the sky!
Subject: Hello

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:59:52 01/15/07 Mon

As somebody said the site is turning into an obituary column--So--Everybody knows the James Brown story--and the debt owed? Without him????

Thanks to John for the positive comments. I'ts always good to know one's efforts are appreciated. Had a great time playing with both Paul and Ringo and look forward to getting back to it with my band this month.

The Cinnammon Club gig was a revalation! Never dreamed we'd pack the place and that the audience would be so quiet and attentive.
The duo thing is quite daunting and when you can hear a pin drop in the room you really have nowhere to hide but that works to the greater good, I think, and it's great to know that the audience is listening.
That's what I want to do--Play for people who want to listen--I'm givin' it my best shot and I want that to be heard.
I do hope everybody enjoyed the evening and I know the Q and A went on a little long but it was a kind of freewheeling event so---------As you'll see I've posted a separate mail about Mike Brecker.
I do hope that it's the last obituary for a long time.
All the best for the rest of 07.
Hamish.
Replies:
Subject: Mike Brecker

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:40:19 01/15/07 Mon

This has been a very sad weekend indeed. The news of Mike's passing came as quite a shock even though I knew he was terribly ill. One always has hope!
He was a truly remarkable musician, the most influential sax player of his generation and a warm,gentle,humble, funny man.

We had the opportunity to work together quite a bit and I have to say these are some of the most exciting times of musical life.
The Brecker Brothers connection to AWB was a strong one and we played a lot of shows together when he and Randy were with Billy Cobham. They also played in the section on a lot of our albums the highlight being "Pick Up The Pieces" the big band version from The Montreaux Jazz Fest of 1977. He played a truly epic solo that night and was something that even he considered one of his best.

Steve Ferrone and myself also toured with Mike and Randy as part of Chaka's (one time only) all star band--What a gig!
Mike was capable of playing in a lot of different situations and did a lot of sessions in the late 70's. His solo on Chaka's version of "Whatcha Gonna Do For Me" being one and on occasion I hear "Native New Yorker" By a group whose name escapes me which has all the "Bad" New York Boys on it Mike plays a blistering short solo. It always brings a smile to my face. Equally at home burning for 8 bars or playing long extended improvisations!

His work with Randy was fantastic--Of Course! But in the 80's he became a solo performer and went on to make many beautiful albums over the susequent years.
Last time I heard him play was at the old Ronnie Scott's a couple of years ago and he was phenominal!
It was great to hear him as always but so nice to see him and catch up.
When we put together the Morrisey Mullen "best of" Mike knowing Dick and being a fan of his playing from when the guys were in New York gave us a beautiful quote for the album notes.

He had been ill for a couple of years now and still kept a very positive attitude. I checked in with him now and again to say Hi and send good wishes and his last reply a few months back ended--"see you in London" Sadly now that will not be.

Sending much love to Randy, Mike's wife Susan and their Children.
Nothing more to say really. I think I'll go and put a Mike Brecker album on and be thankful for him.
Best.
Hamish.
Subject: Michael Brecker

Author:
Grant
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:32:14 01/14/07 Sun

Very sad to read that another musician from Hamish's career, Michael Brecker, has passed away. The last couple of months in particular have seen us lose some huge musical talents.

Grant
Subject: Cinnamon Club

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:33:10 01/13/07 Sat

Friday 5th at The Cinnamon Club was a huge success. It was a sell out! Hamish and Snake creating a soft, gentle and intimate evening of music plus questions and answers via Steve Quirk of Smooth F.M. Subjects for Hamish such as The Dream Police, AWB, Paul McCartney and more recently Ringo were brought up. Snake telling us of all the stars he has played for including James Brown (Mr Brown as he insisted he be called) and Hamish reminding us that without Mr Brown, there wouldn't be any funky music, that he invented it.
Hamish has started the New Year with a beard - looks good too. Maybe even better when you see him at The 606 at the end of January. We won't be there as we'll be celebrating Burns Night in Troon. When in Darvel last year to see Hamish play at the music festival, we found an excellent hotel which we'll be returning to. So Hamish, we'll be in Scotland afore ye!
Thank you for the music Hamish. Hazel and bearded husband Paul Farrell
Subject: Just a short note to Hamish

Author:
John
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:17:07 01/11/07 Thu

Hello Hamish & boardies...

This is only my second time on this forum. First time was after the Ringo show in July. I was lucky enough to get backstage and meet Ringo, but for some reason I couldn't get up the nerve to approach Hamish. (Boy, have I been kicking myself ever since).

So I guess I'll take this opportunity to say a few words to ya, Hamish. I assume you'll be reading this. I am a college freshman in NJ. I am proud to say I'm a fan of your work. Many people my age just listen to garbage these days. I have been a McCartney fan almost all of my 18 years on this earth. My aunt saw you preform with him in '93 and just loved the acoustic set of the show. From that point on we were fans together.

"Unplugged" is amazing. That is the first recording I purchased featuring you. I'm surprised the laser didn't burn a whole in the part of the CD with "Ain't no Sunshine" by now. Of course, I also have all the other Macca releases. More recently I purchased your Christmas CD and your acoustic EP. Terriffic. It's great to hear your material, and not you on someone else's.

I saw McCartney this past year. After growing up listening to "Tripping the Live Fantastic" and later "Paul is Live," I was disappointed with the sound of his current band. Sorry Brian, sorry Rusty, but Hamish - the lineup with you and Robbie - simply had/has a better sound to it.

Like I said, I saw you play in July at PNC Bank arts center in Jersey. It was amazing to finally see you play live. I read people's reviews and their conversations about your shows across the Atlantic with your group... do you ever play over here in the states?

Well, I see this "short note" is turning into a pretty long letter, so I better cut myself off here.

Hope to hear from you!
Subject: The Godfather is Gone

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:31:38 12/25/06 Mon

At the risk of turning this into an obituaries website ... we need to make mention of the passing of the Godfather of Soul, the hardest working man in the music business, the man who was living the life of Dr. Funkenstein before George Clinton even thought up the name, the one and only Mr. James Brown. God rest you James.

We begged 'please don't go' ... but another soul/funk great has left us to accept a booking from that great agent in the sky.

Thanks James ... we will never se your like again.

Robert S.
Replies:
Subject: Ahmet

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:44:07 12/21/06 Thu

Very sad news indeed (losing Ahmet), particularly so soon after Arif.
Two greats---Ahmet was one of the true pioneers and a great "Music" guy--
Arif--Well I think I've said it all. The times I spent in the studio with him were some of the happiest times of my musical life and he will always remain an important figure to me.

The problem when you lose somebody like that is that you relate everything of your life that they affected when you should simply be singing their praises. Arif was a true great and has an album still to come---we really need more like him but I'm afraid that "Golden age" is long gone.
Thanks for all the great music.
Hame.
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]4 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.