VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

Welcome

Subject: Christmas

Author:
Hamish (Slow traffic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:40:00 12/18/06 Mon

Hi There,
Yes it's been kinda quiet --hasn't it?
Been very busy since Ullapool finishing production on the album by my new Russian friends--"Time Machine" The day after the gig we went back into Abbey Road to do the final few overdubs and mix.
It all went really well and I think a good time was had by all. I had a great time working with the guys but I knew it would be good from our very first meeting.
Since then it's been pretty hectic with run up to Christmas with my brother"s 50th birthday last weeknd and other assorted birthdays and get-togethers and tonight is the last gig of the year at the 606. Last night Jim Mullen came and played and tonight Rod Argent is joining us for a couple of tunes, then we're truly in the thick of the festive season.
Thanks for all the birthday messages and match reports.
I'm glad to see that people are still discovering the Christmas album and that it has a life for at least 3 weeks every year. I still love it and always saw it as something that wouldn't come and go but is now around every Christmas.
Glad to hear that Steve Quirke is still on the case and I look forward to seeing him and the rest of the Mancunian contingent in the New Year.
Thanks to everybody who's supported the team this year and here's to "07"
Some interesting things coming up but unfortunately JimJam is still ongoing, but we hope to make some headway in January when Pino gets back from his travels with "The Who"
Will keep everybody posted in the meantime--Have a very Merry Christmas-Happy Hanukkah-Quanza-Whatever----------Peace to us all now and in the New Year.
Hame.
Replies:
Subject: Ahmet Ertegun

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:00:01 12/16/06 Sat

I've just read on BBC's website that we lost Ahmet Ertegun. While the ink is barely dry on the obituaries for Arif Mardin, we've lost another of the great 'Atlantic Family'. Rest in Peace ... and thanks for the music.

Can I also wish all who use this site [and the traffic seems to be ever slower these days] a very merry Christmas and a happy, peaceful and HSB/JimJam release laden New Year.

Slainthe ... Robert
Replies:
Subject: Air Plays

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:58:32 12/14/06 Thu

Just had a look at Steve Quirks playlist for Monday nights Smooth F.M. radio programme (100.40). Started off with 'Watcha Gonna Do For Me' the Chacka number one song written by Hamish and then 'Some Day We'll All Be Free' sung by Hamish on his Solo album. Told you that Steve was committed to the cause.
Don't forget if you want some assistance with your Christmas planning, try Hamish's 'Let It Snow' album. Hazel Farrell
Subject: New Year gig

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:31:10 11/26/06 Sun

Did somebody say 'Christmas' well here's a date for your 2007 diary and you won't have to wait very long either. On 5th January, Hamish and Snake are to play at The Cinnamon Club in Bowdon Cheshire. The evening will be presented by Steve Quirk from Smooth FM. He's devoted to smooth music and will chat with the bpys about their careers. It's now on the site www.thecinnamonclub.net. We'll be there. Hazel Farrell
Subject: An enuiry from Lappland

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:06:43 11/25/06 Sat

Ho, Ho, Ho ... I've received several young lads Christmas wishes via sending burned notes "up the lum" [another coded Scots phrase] asking for JimJam2, which sems to have been in mixing longer than Tony & George have been in Iraq.

What do I tell these poor unfortunate waif's Mr Hamish ?

Compliments of the season to all

Santa
[or some other fat bloke with a beard representing him]
Subject: Let it Snow

Author:
Lynne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:16:43 11/17/06 Fri

I ordered Let it Snow and it was just delivered today. I love it! All I want for Christmas is Hamish to do a tour in the states. He has a LOT of fans here in the states, especially on the east coast where I live (Washington DC). My local smooth jazz station is probably sick of me asking them to play songs from Sooner or Later!! I'm orignally from Edinburgh but don't get back there much these days (my loss). Hamish still has a great voice and he's still a great songwriter. Can't wait to hear more new stuff. For those of you lucky enough to see him live, give him my best!
Subject: Birthday plus

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:15:57 10/08/06 Sun

May we wish you a very Happy Birthday Hamish. Know and trust that Ullapool will go down well.
No mention on the site of last Monday's gig at The 606 but feel sure that it would be a capacity audience and the usual appreciative atmosphere.
Love and special thoughts on this day. CUT THE CAKE! Paul and Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: ULLAPOOL

Author:
MICK BREEN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:50 10/09/06 Mon

Ladies and Gentlemen,
"well a brilliant night" started with an early morning call from David Stuart asking "wits happenin mick"?
we met at mine and after Coffee, left for Ullapool, picking up John my bro in law and my bro Joe, the ipod on shuffle songs and sieving through songs turning the volume to 11 for marvin Gaye etc.and chewing the fat about Darvel,
arrived in Ullapool about 4.30 pm
just in time to catch Mr Paul Buckley at the Royal Hotel mighty fine playing and banter from this fantastic maestro of the acoustic, who after his spot told us he was lookig forward to seeing his "guitar idol" senor Mullen,
strolled down to the Seaforth Hotel at the pier after dinner and settled down to some excellent playing from the aforementioned Mr Buckley, pom and Clive Carroll
sometime around 11 the lights dimmed etc. and the boys came on, yer man dedicated the first song to Walter and the boys,
in case you missed the footie we "mugged" France
one nil!!!
anyroadup !! the band blistered through the set and as this was my first encounter of Mr Jim Mullen live and despite David telling me all day "you will absolutely be blown away"
ye ken wit? I wiz !!! (Hamish any chance of a guest spot for him at Darvel 2007 assuming you will be there) Jim I will buy you a good malt this time promise!
the crowd was very receptive and boogied to the boys, the average age of the front row was about 19 years old and the bands average is ???, but the young uns boogied along with the rest of the crowd,
Hamish I wont mention the start to your ALI tribute because, you accapello and then the boys blasting in mid verse was mind blowing. the night was rounded off by the inevitable "sandwich song" as an encore and as he was leaving the gig, the festival organiser Mr Richard Lindsay (job well done sir) said to me "duck's arris" commenting I feel on the tightness of the boys playing,and not a pick up line.
hope this rambling match report courtesy of Mrs Artois daughter Stella, gives you a feel of the day and the gig? if it did then you will realise that we are indeed in a privileged position,i.e in the presense of GENIUS when we see and hear this band play, whatever the line up!! just ask Stevie cos like me he was there
PERSONELL
as Darvel but with subs of Mr Jim Mullen (the thumb) for Adam on guitar and Mr Steve Pierce (Mr cool) for Nick on bass,
SET LIST (hopefulLy correct)
WHENEVER YOU CALL ME
UNSPOKEN LOVE
ATLANTIC AVENUE
SOME OTHER TIME
ALI TRIBUTE (MAN WITH A MISSION) ?
SUPERWOMAN
QUEEN OF MY SOUL
JUST FOR A THRILL
PERSON TO PERSON encore
UPLIFT THE SANDWICHES encore
there may have been others but I was too busy enjoying the groove (sue me) to keep notes, as previous emails have said we are "anoraks"
Finally (roar from the crowd)
we (the usual suspects) need to get down to the 606 in 2007 if not before, and have a craic about music, life etc.
and I know David is up4it, he will regal us all with tales of "the road" like he did this weekend and made a long journey so much more enjoyable, cheers mate !!
I thank you and bid you hasta luego
Replies:
Subject: addition of the match report

Author:
Mick Breen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:17:05 10/10/06 Tue

oops meant to mention
midway through the set a lady progressed to the ladies toilet, unfortunately she wanted to use the door immediately behind Bosco and not the one easily accessible from the bar, she then proceeded to push Bosco's bongo mike aside and brush past him to the toilet,(you should have seen his face) someone shouted "where the f### is she going " to which the inevitable reply was " she's awa fur a shite"
as Hamish said "only in Scotland"
Subject: loopallu

Author:
mick breen (my eggs are static)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:30 10/09/06 Mon

guys
just returned from one of the best yet !!
if I say that no "cloudy" and yet was one of the best
this will give you all a flavour of the night,
match report once I have unscrambled my notes on the night
yes that sad baldy with pen and paper scribbling notes was moi !
SPEAKING OF THE FRENCH
our man started the gig with "this one is for walter and the boys"
david you must stop ribbing the other nations in the band about their respective nations footbal results !!!
second thoughts "get right intae them"
Replies:
Subject: Cinnamon Club

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:58:14 10/08/06 Sun

Saw Peter White at The Cinnamon Club last night - good one as usual. Included in his encore was 'Pick up the Pieces', and the same piece recorded by Geoff Golub was played by Steve Quirk from Smooth FM. Your spirit is everywhere. S.Q. sent his birthday wishes to you and is looking forward to your night with Snake at The Cinnamon on 5th January. Hazel Farrell
Subject: Darvel Match Report

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:22:01 10/01/06 Sun

Hi All,

Full gig report will follow later, but I had to make a quick mention of H including 'Cloudy' in the set last night. Thank you sir, a beautiful song, beautifully sung.

It took me back to Drury Lane, May/June 1977 after the famous "we took the pitch home" victory against England.

It was great to meet another of the 'gang' in Tom Carr, and I'm glad the sun is shining today for Paul & Hazel Farrell's short break in Ayrshire. Go to the 'electric brae' on the Turnberry road. You won't believe your eyes !

Thanks again for the whole gig Hamish, but especially for Cloudy.

Robert

ps. OK, I suppose JimJam2 is being held up for Santa to deliver ?
Replies:
Subject: Darvel

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:18:49 10/05/06 Thu

Paul and I have been left with a wonderful memory of Darvel. Hamish and the boys were as good as ever whether they be in Scotland, The 606 (always a full house and appreciative audience)or anywhere where the people are lucky enough to experience their excellence.
Really nice to meet up with new friends and likeminded folk. As Gordon Haskell once said at The 606 'It's like being in church and Hamish is the vicar'.
Love the architecture in the area and we found some very good food and drink. One hotel in Troon was so special that we have booked Burns Night next January. I'll need to brush up on my strathspeys and reels.
Hamish and Snake will play at The Cinnamon Club Bowdon in January. We saw them as this duo at The Aroma Cafe Barnsley and it is a relexed and intimate atmosphere. Come along, it's a lovely club and luckily for us, it's on our door step.
Hamish many thanks for music. We'll get along to see you as often as we can BECAUSE YOU'RE WORTH IT! Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Darvel Match Report

Author:
Robert Stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:35:31 10/04/06 Wed

Hi All,

Well, the Darvel festival just seems to get better each year. Well done to the organisers. This year they had 'splashed the cash' on a much better PA system and mixing desk.

The first band were called Set In Stone. They kinda reminded me of Cado Belle a wee bit. The musicianship was fine, but the girl singer, who was probably not used to a PA that powerful, needs a wee bit more 'mike technique' as a lot of what she was singing came across as pretty distorted because she was too close to the mike, or it was a much more sensitive mike than she was used to.

The 2nd band were the 5 Aces [used to be the Boogaloo somethings ?]. They were great. Retro threads, retro equipment [Selmer valve amps !] a singer who looked like David Tennant had imported him from 1964 all came together to match the early 60's pre-Brit Blues boom stuff they did. As my wife commented, they were the kind of band who would have had my mother up on the floor and twisting away all night [God, I wish she could have been there].

Then it was time for the reason we had travelled from far and wide ... The Hamish Stuart Band, and as ever, boy was it worth the trip. Once again, the guys were excellent !

I did notice a couple of things on Saturday. I don't know whether it was a cold or if 4 gigs in a week was a heavier-than-usual workload, but Hamish's voice did have a 'dead spot' in it. At the start of the night he did a lot of stuff in his 'normal' range versus what I have described before as his 'cracked falsetto'. When he went to the higher registers or full falsetto he was his usual brilliant self. The problem was the 'crossover' between normal and falsetto. Those present probably heard a slight 'gargle' when he switched between the two, especially in the early part of the night. Having spent several years in my bedroom with my vinyl copy of Soul Searching, trying vainly to get a sound like Hamish's voice I appreciate what a fantastic 'instrument' the man posesses. Yes, I know I should have got out more as a teenager.

However this did not detract from the night at all. In fact, it made it even better, because what I witnessed was a real old pro navigating his way around these songs in a different manner. It was a vocal masterclass in my opinion.
If I got this wrong then Hamish will probably put my lights out next time I see him !!!!!

However, once he got warmed up and loose, all was right with the world again. H has the best non-black soul voice ever. That is what makes Hamish so unique. Yes ... a white man can sing soul, beacuse on stage he is inhabited by the spirits of Donny, Ray et al.

I also felt Adam Phillips was not as fluid as he normally is. He was still fantastic, but he is normally absolutely bloody amazing. It may have been a wee bit cold on stage, as I saw him shake his left hand a few times, and that's normally a sign that a guitarist is cold, and can't get his fret hand moving quite as he would like.

The new bass player, Nick Cohen, is another in the long line of fantastically languid and funky bass players Hamish seems to be able to come up with. Methinks there is some serious stem cell research or cloning going on in the Stuart basement. Have you ever seen Nick and Steve P. in the same room at the same time ... I thought not !

Yanto [Ian Thomas] was Yanto. Soild as a brick shit-house, and built like one as well. Graham Harvey never ceases to amaze me. He goes into that 'rolling eyes' trance of his and the sounds just fly from his soul to the keys. Remarkable ! And what can you say about Bosco ... everybody loves a Brazillian ! He adds great texture and a groove to the whole sound, although he really does have to let up on the rodent abuse. I guess he has the percussionists equivalent of Michael Palin's 'Mouse Organ' from the very first series of Monty Python. Either way, I think it's barely legal what he's doing to the rat in the box, and he could get deported if he doesn't watch himself . Bosco ... you have been warned !

I need to make note of a surprise inclusion in the set when Hamish did Cloudy. This rivalled his version of Song For You from Darvel last year. Just soul singing at its very, very best.

As best I can remember it, the set list was:

Makin' it Up
Atlantic Avenue
Unspoken Love
Queen of my Soul
Cloudy
Wonderwoman ? (Stevie Wonder track)
Circle Game
Just for the Thrill
Where did the time go [the one from 'A Night on the Town]
Person to Person
Lift the Sandwiches [Pick up the Pieces]

Did I miss any ?

Thanks again Hamish and team for a great evening. Thanks to the organisers, and finally, have a great birthday party in Ullapool on Sunday.

Cheers,

Robert Stuart
Replies:
Subject: loopallu

Author:
mick breen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:21:59 10/04/06 Wed

hiyall !
after Darvel (come on where's that match report mr the other Stuart???), just have to make you all jealous, guess who's going to Ullapool ?, yep that'll be me then,
in the absense of any of you guys, I will give you all a wee match report (o.k mr Stuart ? )
probably start with "well a brilliant night" etc.
also I will wish the man "happy birthday" from us all, and TRY to enjoy the night.
cheers
mick breen
Replies:
Subject: 606 blues!!

Author:
Mark Ede
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:39:30 10/02/06 Mon

Peed off as due to a rare case of 'man flu' (ie slight cold but as I'm a man haven't ventured off the couch for 3 days) I'm stuck here in Brighton rather than seeing our man back at the 606 tonight.

I've sent along the Earl of Kent, the lordy Jon Davenport David Van Leer (real name!!) - last seen playing bass for Chris Holland and Soul Reality - in my place with full instructions to provide full 'match report' but I'm very jealous I'm not there!

Good to have you back Hamish, hope you enjoyed your various tours etc!!!

See ya next time!
x
Subject: Darvel Review

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:19:47 10/02/06 Mon

For those who couldn't make it to Darvel here is the newspaper review that The Hearld (Glasgow) published this morning.

Very flattering.

www.theherald.co.uk/71115shtml

Tom Carr
Replies:
Subject: 'Cloudy'

Author:
Roy Fellows
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:50 10/01/06 Sun

Hamish
'Cloudy'. Usher Hall 1977. I ripped your sleeve, gave it you back at Lancaster University 1979(?) when you were playing football in the Great Hall there. Usher Hall 'Cloudy' brilliant - do you remember? You came out of your hotel post gig after I had telephoned. And you came out and as you did I sang 'Cloudy' to you. Hamish please say yes otherwise I'm off to the 'funny farm'.
Replies:
Subject: Hameldaeme

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:11:04 10/02/06 Mon

Well, what can I say. It was in my humble opinion, spot on.

Atlantic Ave, I was there! Cloudy, wow. They were among the many many highspots.

My mate, who had not seen Hamish since his AWB days is now a convert. He went home a happy man even though he was driving.

Hamish, spare a thought for those guys that drove all the way from Durham and Manchester. That's commitment.

Once again, thanks, it was a great night and it was nice to meet some old and some new friends.

Please come back soon.

Tom Carr
Subject: Darvel Sep 06

Author:
Keith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:37:49 10/01/06 Sun

I Drove into Darvel and I thought this seems to be quite a depressed area and after a 3 hour drive from the North East of England I was ready to stretch my legs so I decided to have a walk about. What struck me was the old Darvel industrial Co-Operative building all boarded but if you lift your eyes up to the architecture you can see a date of 1840 now this was originally a grand building showing the wealth of the Co-Operative but sadly falling to bits I hope that someone eventually realises the importance of this symbol and refurbishes it.

Bringing wealth into a town and promoting it is a very difficult task but to my surprise the venue for the music festival was far more than I expected the staff at the venue were very polite and helpful the organisers of the event had turned the function room into a very warm welcoming type cabaret room with red table cloths and tea lights burning in small glasses on top of the tables I felt comfortable and relaxed and ready for an evening of entertainment and did we get it, Iíll leave the match report to the other Mr Stuart cos heís better than me at dissecting the music I only listen to it.

Hamish and the band were on form maybe because he was on home turf and was very relaxed and good humoured he joked with most of the assembled crowd even when some punters were shouting out requests that I know he will never perform again and round again.

My personal highlight of the evening was Hamish doing what he does best performing Cloudy with all his soul and his heart out on his sleeve for everyone to see and as the man says if he canít feel it he wonít sing it. Young pretenders my try to take the throne but from that performance last night he is still the King.

It was nice also to put faces to names that frequent this forum the usual reprobates Robert, Mike and their wives and new faces Hazel and Paul Farrell and not forgetting Tom Carr who I met under very unusual circumstance which I will not go into on this board.

Was it worth the 320mile round trip and getting home at 3:00am bleary eyed you bet ya and would I do it again ya dam right I would.

Thanks Hamish, and the boys, for a great evening.
Subject: Quite Excited

Author:
Keith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:04:00 09/23/06 Sat

Hamish

One week until I get my fix in Darvel and getting quite excited any chance of Midnight Rush? I know you donít take requests but Iíve never heard of you doing this great track live and how about an early Christmas present JJ2 signed?

See you and the boys on Saturday.
Replies:
Subject: 27th sept Swansea's Jazz Land gig

Author:
Phil Colwill (Chilled...)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:15:45 09/28/06 Thu

Hi all, Enjoyed the set lastnight at Swansea's Jazz Land evening at the St James's Club. Opened my Ears and eyes to some very tasteful music and I thank you for that! Catch you next time your down this way, keep music Live :)
Phil Colwill.
Replies:
Subject: Reflections

Author:
John
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:09:41 09/25/06 Mon

Hello to Hamish and all here on the board, I was thrilled to find this website (being the big HS fan I am).

Hamish, I wanted to thank you for helping make the Ringo show in July so wonderful. Only being a year old at the time of the Paul McCartney 89 World Tour, it was great to finally see you live! (Flying over to Europe to see you isn't really a possibility, haha) I saw you backstage at PNC Bank Arts Center in New Jersey. I didn't have the nerve to approach you in person... I've regretted it ever since. Once again, thanks for the memories. The bass rocked!

Your fan
John
Replies:
Subject: Hello!

Author:
Hamish (Mysterious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:52:57 09/07/06 Thu

The great Ullapool Mystery-----
It's my new annual "birthday in Scotland" gig.
Last year Darvel--This year TheUllapool Guitar Festival.
Me and the guys--Ian, Steve, Graham and Bosco with Jim Mullen.
Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the positive comments on the Ringo tour. I did enjoy it and I'm glad that comes accross--It's a shared experience.

Sorry the site has been out of action but we're up and running again.

Just finished a great weekend at the Pizza Express Jazz Club in the heart of London's West End.
Great to back with the guys again.
There are quite a few more dates dotted around over the next few weeks and all will be posted here.
Hope to see you out there.
Best.
Hamish.
Replies:
Subject: H and Ringo

Author:
Grant
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:40:46 07/12/06 Wed

For anyone who is interested there are a couple of videos of the opening night of the Ringo and the AllStars tour on YouTube. Very poor quality (taken by phone camera?) but you can just about see H at the back of the stage. Not my type of music (would appear to be the Edgar Winter show)but they make a decent noise!

Grant
Replies:
Subject: Hello

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:46:44 08/18/06 Fri

Hi There,
Thanks for the messages---(Sung to the tune of that old Bob Hope fave)
No real new news on the H.S.B. or JimJam fronts apart from a bunch of shows in September.They'll all be posted here soon.

Had a lovely gig with Snake (just the 2 of us) sung to the tu-------
just before I went off to do the "Ringo tour" which as I've already said was terrific. Rod Argent is a real Engish Gentleman and was a pleasure to work with as was everyone one connected with the tour. "Hold Your Head Up" did get the full treatment--A fun groove to play, but one of the most enjoyable to play every night was "She's Not There" or as my old pal Matt Irving and I used to refer to it "She's Awa'" .

It'll be good to get back to playing my own music next month and I hope to add a couple of new things into the set.

Not sure what's happening on the recording front apart from JimJam being close to finishing. We've mixed a couple of things but still have to look at everything a little more and maybe add a couple of new tunes, but we're very close now.

Maybe another little acoustic collection next before a new studio record and possibly another "live" set with the new version of "Atlatic Ave" plus "The Circle Game" and some of the other more recent things. I'll continue to "flirt " with Brasil.
Ullapool is almost together. Jim Mullen plus Ian Thomas, Steve Pearce, Graham Harvey and myself plus?? I don't know yet as Bosco may not be around.

I saw Wilko briefly in L.A. but unfortunately Grannie was in the U.K. and I haven't seen Mal for years although you can tell him I saw his "Doppleganger" on the road this summer somewhere in the U.S.
What a great crew! Would love to see the pics!

The rest of the year will be busy-- September with shows then October -November producing a Russian band called "Time Machine"

That's about ti for the moment.
All The Best.
Hame.
Replies:
Subject: Not my type of music

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:05:08 08/02/06 Wed

I find it very difficult to believe that anyone who listens to music recorded on a camera phone can actually tell what type of music they are listening to, let alone form an opinion of it!
"Not my type of music" not mine either---AYTHING RECORDED ON A CAMERA PHONE --that is---Doh!

I spent a very happy few weeks at the back of the stage being a "musician!" serving the songs of Rod Argent, Richard Marx, Billy Squier, Edgar Winter, Shiela E and Ringo!
Fortunately I don't have to feed my ego by being "centre stage" all the time. I do this for the same reasons I started. I LOVE to play music and for the last 2 months have done that with some new people, which was great!
Purely as a bass player it was so rewarding to play with 2 great drummers at the same time--Shiela E and Ringo.
Regards.
Hamish.
Replies:
Subject: HAmish.Stuart.Band wanted by Collector

Author:
Michael.Drucas.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:38 07/05/06 Wed

Hamish.Stuart.Band Wanted By Collector Concerts recorded from the audience.Video filmed from the audience.Average White Band Wanted 1972-1982 Concert Posters,Flyers,Passes,Tickets Unused or Stubs,Anyone who may have taken Photos.Please E-mail michaeldrucas@yahoo.com
Replies:
Subject: Arif Mardin 1932-2006 R.I.P.

Author:
Roy Fellows
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:54:14 06/28/06 Wed

Perusing 'The Times' newspaper today - in my usual 'relaxed'way after a 'hard' day at work I was suddenly suddenly energised into mixed emotions of 'hang on a minute'/no/oh my goodness/oh I can't believe it/oh it's true/near tears - and the realisation that Arif Mardin had passed away. The musical memories came flooding back. I have read Charlie's wonderful tribute. I just wanted to add my own without without saying anything else.
Subject: Arif Mardin- RIP 26th June 2006

Author:
Charlie Coffils
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:48:37 06/26/06 Mon

Just heard that the one and only Arif Mardin has sadly passed away from "pancreatic cancer" in New York.

This man is "Mr Magic" as far as I'm concerned, he touched us all with his wonderful productions and arrangements for scores of different artists, from Dizzie Gillespie. to AWB,Aretha Franklin,Dusty Springfield,BeeGees,through to present day grammy award winner Norah Jones.

He was a fantastic arranger too,he did the string arrangement to the last track on the BeeGees album "Lyin Eyes" with Steve Gadd on drums.The song was called "Be Who You Are", and for me it's the best song the BeeGees ever done.Its a perfect guide on how to put a song together and build it using the dynamics of the various instruments. To me Arif was a genius who brought the best out of everyone he worked with including Hamish and the Average White Band.

Arif will never be forgotten, as his music will live on forever and be a testament to his greatness.Thank god for Arif Mardin and we should all celebrate his wonderful life and his amazing achievements.God bless you Arif-RIP.

Charlie
Replies:
Subject: your visit to Clearwater Florida

Author:
Mary Roach Cleary
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:12 06/27/06 Tue

Saw the ad last Friday that you will be coming here with Ringo Starr on July 7.....it has been a long time and I would love to have the chance to see you.....this is my email address......John is leaving that day to move Brendyn to Illinois but I would love to bring Maggie along and visit with you if you have the time....please respond.
An old friend. Mary
Subject: Hello Hamish

Author:
Hello from Duncan Faure
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:28:57 06/14/06 Wed

Hi From Duncan,

Hoping youíll remember me. You and David Williams sang on my album `Let it be right in the world which we recorded during early 93. `Feels like Magic, if that rings any bells and a song called `Thereís a new today` which then reached number 2 in South Africa .Iíve been back there for 12 years and just returned to LA. Hoping to run into you again someday soon. As a great admirer of your talent I would be real interested if ever a day should come for you to produce something of mine, but for now, be just great to see you sometime.
Ex Bay City Roller, if that rings a bell or Jim Warisinski who had AVC records at that time. , that was me,,

I hear youíre touring with Ringo, Iím going to try and get to the LA one. Spose chaos there, but here is email address. Iíd be really happy to hear from you and work with you again!

All the best to you,

Duncan Faure..
Subject: Celtic Wild Man

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:44:24 06/12/06 Mon

Ive been lovin some of the new ...cutting edge soul men..Citizen Cope...Jamie Lidell..Lewis Taylor. Boundary pushers...all. But I just saw a celtic wild man..soul beast... in a pure white suit. Now..children..dont try this at home..but the rest of you...are commanded to go to..Youtube.com....type in Average White Band..search..and click on Hamish's white suit..70's "School Boy Crush"..and RUN FOR COVER. Water is wet..Rocks are hard...and that is how its done. You will be spellbound...a good thing...do it now.
Subject: ROBBIE MCINTOSH

Author:
Louis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:32:58 06/09/06 Fri

WOW! Just had a view of the `PIECES` version on the web-site www.youtube.com featuring ROBBIE MCINTOSH on drums & MAN! What a `GREAT drummer! `POWERFUL`, `EFFORTLESS`, `UNDERSTATED`, `CRISP`, `CREATIVE` & `SLICK`! It's a `BITCH` that the legion of AWB fans never had the opportunity to hear this CAT! It's a `RIPOFF`! ROBBIE would've gone on to be one of the `GREAT` drummers in the world, no doubt! Sorry for rehashing this bygone thing(especially the AWB thang) but watching him drum `moves me`! Finding Steve Ferrone was definately a `BLESSING` but ROBBIE was `MAGICAL`!
Subject: Ringo Tour

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:11 06/09/06 Fri

Workin hard on the other side of the world...might as well be on the moon.
Subject: Rickenbacker 360/12 - 1989 Tour

Author:
Stuart Pollock
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:56:40 06/03/06 Sat

Dear Hamish,

I recently discovered your website here, so I wanted to chime in and tell you how great it is to watch you perform on Paul's "Get Back" DVD from the 1989 tour. I'm only 21, so being 4 at the time, I didn't get a chance to see you guys on that tour, although my Dad did.

One of the tunes they show on this particular DVD is "This One" which is one of my all-time favorite songs. For this number, you pulled out a stunning fireglo Rickenbacker 360/12. I'm curious, was this a vintage piece, or one of the 360/12v64s that Rickenbacker manufactured through part of the 80's and 90s? Also, do you prefer flatwounds or roundwounds on your Ricky 12? I really love the sound you got on the 12-string when it enters the verses on "This One." I also love the fills in "My Brave Face - I'm still trying to figure them out! The co-lead vocals with Paul sounded great as well. I am a huge George Harrison fan, and I'm expecting to receive a 360/12c63 in a few months (waiting list), so I thought I'd ask about the strings.

My next question is, if there was one piece of advice you could give to younger people who look up to you, and are aspiring musicians, what would it be?

Thanks for your time, and I wish you the best on your upcoming tour with Ringo. I've had the pleasure of seeing Ringo twice, and I'm going to do everything I can to try and make it to the San Diego show. It's a superb venue, you'll love it.

Cheers,
Stuart Pollock, 21
San Diego, California
Replies:
Subject: An Acoustic Evening with Hamish

Author:
Paul Twiby
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:03:32 06/04/06 Sun

I have been in the same room as Marvin Gaye and Levi Stubbs,last night I was in the same room as one of my other musical Heros Hamish Stuart, the night started with a wonderful warm reception from the owners and staff of The Aroma Cafe/Bar in Barnsley Yorkshire,the place was full to capacity(50 people at most!!)Hamish accompanied by Snake Davis on Sax & Flute started the show with a spine tinglin "You Send Me" and proceeded to entertain us with classics such as "A love of Your Own" and acoustic versions of "Person To Person" & "Pick Up The Pieces" They did covers originally recorded by Stevie Wonder Ray Charles & Donny Hathaway,the entertainment highlight of the evening was when Hamish didnt remember the lyrics to the Donny Hathaway song but would listen to the CD during the break and come back and do it in the second set....this he did and absolutely NAILED IT!!While I have the opportunity can I wish Hamish all the best for the Ringo Gig and hope its not to long before we see "The Grandfather Of Soul"(Your Choice of Words Hamish!!)back in Barnsley with HSB,Jimjam or indeed the great AWB.......and finally a Big "HEADS UP!!! to Snake Davis for his excellent performance as well!!!! Keep The Faith....
Replies:
Subject: Aroma Cafe

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:17:00 06/05/06 Mon

Well, Yes, that was a very special evening at The Aroma Cafe in Barnsley where diners regularly have the pleasure of Snake's great playing alongside various artists, but this time they experienced the wonders of Hamish.
Intimate atmosphere, perfect and appreciative audience who didn't even look away to take a drink. All of this obviously enjoyed by Snake and Hamish made for a lasting head spinning musical memory for us all.
And do you know what Hamish did to make our journeying also pleasureable - he arranged good weather!
Safe journeying to you Hamish whilst on tour with Ringo in Canada and The States.
Thank you for the music, the patience and approachability.
Looking forward to Darvel, Hazel Farrell
Replies:

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:39:36 06/05/06 Mon

Well, my tickets arrived for Darvel a couple of days ago.

So, they are definately available, so get buying, it'll be a great night.

Roll om September!

Tom Carr
Replies:
Subject: Why did I bother ?

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:46:41 05/29/06 Mon

I just had a look on the AWB website to see if there was any info/insights about how the lads are doing on the current tour [counting down to Edinburgh on June 2nd]. What I did discovered is there's 'quite a stramash' as our beloved Arthur Montford would have put it [Scotland's Howard Cosell ... kinda, for our US friends] over the whole Hamish/AWB thing.

In my previous post I'd mentioned conspiracy theorists and the fact that we are lucky enough to have music coming from both AWB & Hamish and we should 'value the diversity' and how lucky we all are to have them both. Can't we leave it at that ?

Sadly, some of the comments on the AWB website suggest that we can't move forward ... there has to be some sinister undercurrent, there has to be a conspiracy ... OK, he'll never admit it, but Hamish shot Kennedy. He also brought down Gary Powers during his 'gap year' in Moscow ! I believe he's also up for taking the rap for bird flu.And
I hear that Oliver Stone's new movie is to be the life & times of AWB 72-82. So that proves it conclusively, there is some kind of conpiracy to be uncovered !

The suggestion that Hamish had taken a 'higher route' and was somehow better than the AWB lads is ludicrous. That came from within our heads, not Hamish's. Think about it, are any of you exactly the same person you were 24 years go ? People change over the course of their time on this earth, they make their own decisions, and hopefully they don't end up regretting (m)any of them. Hamish, Alan & Onnie were of one mind from 72-82. Fantstic. What a legacy, what a body of work they did over that 10 year period. Since then they have made their own decisions of which paths to follow next. Alan & Onnie chose to continue with the groove and a pretty heavy schedule of playing live. Hamish chose another path by doing Easy Pieces, Chaka K, McCartney etc. and now he barely plays 20 gigs a year. Best of luck to both of them I say.

C'mon folks, the real reason AWB broke up in '82 was it didn't feel the same for some of the guys, so they voted with their feet and moved on. I'm sure there was sadness, and at the time there may well have been bitterness, but that's for those involved to know about. We don't need to know about it, and we certainly don't need speculation and 'conpiracy theories' from us fans as to what any of the guys were thinking or now think. Let's leave the speculation and the in depth interviews to Jim Lehrer, Diane Sawyer ... or even Barbara Walters !

Folks ... this debate can carry on forever. We can all speculate as to what happened back in '82 and what each of the players involved think about it today ... but for what ? It's past, it's gone, the re-union ain't gonna happen ... get over it, and let both sides get on with making the music we love to hear from them.

They are different. We love them both, in different ways, and long may that diversity be allowed to flourish.

I hope the debate is finally over this time, but I fear, as Hamish sang in Cloudy 'Is it realy dead'?

Cheers,

Robert Stuart - Fan of Hamish and AWB, and definitely no relation.
Replies:
Subject: 606

Author:
Sally
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:49 05/23/06 Tue

Hamish,
I can't get over how often you are now writing on this site - how come the big change?? Not that I'm complaining - quite the contrary, just stating my surprise!!

Not wishing to sound boring, but it was another brilliant night at the 606, although Adam Philips and Chris Snake Davis were sadly missed (taking nothing away from Jim Mullen, who was, as always on great form).
Personally the number of the night was Unspoken Love - you have just got to release it! I first heard you playing it a while back at the 606, and my ears pricked up - I then did a bit of delving on the net and found that you previously recorded it with Hiroshima - and so I then ordered the CD, (I know that it is very sad, but it is a well known fact amongst my friends and family that I succumbed to your voice/music when I was a young lass, and there just ain't no cure!!!) Although the Hiroshima version is good, it just hasn't got the same groove as you give it with your band - do you think that it might find its way to the new CD???
Thanks for the music!
Sally xxx
Replies:
Subject: Ah Ha!

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:11:50 05/29/06 Mon

Robert...You just jogged my memory....I happened to be ON that grassy knoll....on that day. Standing next to me was a man...wearing tartan pants...a reddish "fro"..with a bass guitar on his back. Looking mighty suspicious. I tried to strike up a conversation with him...saying.."nice day isnt it"...he turned to me ...and just shook his head and said "Cloudy"..and began to drift away. "Would you stay" I called...but he just had ..one look over his shoulder..and was gone. Ah..It is what it is..I said.
Replies:
Subject: United States Tour

Author:
Daryll Jefferson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:26:51 05/25/06 Thu

Hamish,

Congrats to your success with your new band. I have always been a great fan of AWB and to hear you after all these years is a beautiful thing. I often listen to some of the old music and I must say, between your guitar grooves and Steve Ferrone's kickins I have become a pretty good drummer. I pratice to your old grooves of Person to Person, TLC, and Pick up the Pieces from the Live At Montreaux DVD release. I would love to know when you and Ringo will be in the Washington D.C. area so that I can arrange for my wife to finally hear hear and see you live. I also have the HS band live cd..your drummer is TIGHT! Hope that you are able to see and respond to this. It's been a long while.

Hope all is well and best to you,

Daryll Jefferson
Replies:
Subject: whoo hoo!

Author:
Jac P
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:16 05/25/06 Thu

Hamish,
I am such a dip-dop....that was meant to be in reply to David's message earlier on.......oh well, it's posted now...how do I use this to reply without it being a new message?

Jac
xxxxxxx
Subject: whoo hoo!

Author:
Jac P
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:26:28 05/25/06 Thu

whoo hoo!

Got your e mail address from this site (I think!), will write you a wee note and see that it's you!
France is good.....when are you and Maw coming over (big bruv can come too if he behaves himself....now that he is in his 50's....well, smell of piss and all that stuff, things start to drop off at that age!!!!) Only kidding Hamish......guess I'll get a cuff round the earhole for that!!!
love and hugs

Jac
xxxxx
Subject: I Agree With Sally

Author:
Charlie Coffils
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:42:56 05/23/06 Tue

It was a great night at the 606 last night, with JimJam and ( Sir) Jim Mullen holding court over the proceedings.

I also love "Unspoken Love", the JimJam version is superb. There were many highlights for me over the whole evening of great music, and the place was packed as usual with all manner of musos,their families and friends.

Not wishing to labour a point, but Hamish you are doing a sterling job trying to explore different styles, from the bluesy jazz feel of "Just For A Thrill" to the song that got the whole audience cheering at the end, "Lets Stay Together" I have heard you play it a few times, but never as good as last night. Ian just locked into the groove, and you sang the song so soulful and brilliantly,as Mark Ede would say," the magic happened during that song,you chased the groove, and you all captured it perfectly".

My own personal favourite of the night was the encore song "Losing My Mind" which the band have created a fantastic vibe,( this was a bloody stage-show song??) but JimJam's arrangement, and Hamish's interpretation of the lyrics sang with such feeling and soulfulness gives it that something extra for me 'Class'. If this song is on the new JimJam CD,I will buy it just to play it over and over again.

BAND:-

JIM MULLEN- Jazz guitar supremo
HAMISH STUART- Vocals/Guitar
STEVE PEARCE- Bass/BV's
JIM WATSON- Piano,nice chap, but a BAD M...F...R on piano
IAN THOMAS- Drums
Bosco D'Olivera- Percussion

SET LIST

1st Set

I'll Be Around
Unspoken Love
Atlantic Avenue ( latin version)
Just For A Thrill
How The Mighty Fall

2nd Set

Stevie Wonder Song ??
Lets Stay Together
Circle Game
Queen Of My Soul ( latin version)
Some Other Time
Person To Person

Encore:- Losing My Mind ( classic finish to the night )

I really enjoyed seeing JimJam at the 606 once again, as the last time was in 2005.

More power to you Hamish, hope you have a ball on tour with Ringo.Great music, and a few laughs, what could be better.

Best of Luck

Charlie
Replies:
Subject: Liverpool Empire

Author:
Hamish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:03:25 05/23/06 Tue

Hi Nigel,
I remember that Liverpool Empire gig vividly-Fantastic! Great sounding place and a great audience.
One for the memoirs.

I've spoken to a lot of scousers who were there and all have said what a great night it was.
It definitely went both ways!
Ruth hasn't been around. It wasn't something I said!
Cheers for now.
Hame.
Replies:
Subject: Its all clear now

Author:
Harry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:20 05/22/06 Mon

Its all clear now..the confusion is gone. David Stuart is Hamish's brother. Bobs your uncle. Hamish will NEVER..reform..with Lewis Taylor...whos brother is Livingston. But Hamish WILL be touring with Ringo..who has some sort of relation..with Pete Best. Got it. The good news filtered in all this is..hope to see Hamish in Radio City NYC finale. Jim Jam almost out...and a new solo in its formative stages. All is right with the world. It is what it is.
Replies:
Subject: Stuart v Gorrie

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:46:20 05/19/06 Fri

I see that the old "why don't you get back with AWB" vein has opened up again. As far as I'm aware [and no, we're not related] Hamish has never publicly stated what caused the AWB break up in '82. Neither has Alan. That's for these guys to know, and conspiracy theorists to speculate about.

If you look at the AWB Years on Hamish's website, and his earlier e-mail, both confirm that the AWB years were very, very special to all of the AWB guys ... not to mention all of us who heard & loved the fantastic body of work they produced in the 10 years they were around. Some of the gigs were very special [Drury Lane '77 after the football - who stole the pitch ?, 3 nights at the Glasgow Apollo on the Feel No Fret tour etc.] But AWB, like many wonderful things, had a finite life, and in Hamish's opinion that was 1982.

I guess it's a bit like trying to get a divorced couple together again after 25 years of separation ... yes, they loved each other once upon a time, remembering how it was
when every experience was new & shiny. But it can't be like that again, because people and things change.

Hamish has made his decision to 'do his own thing' and thank God he did, or we wouldn't have Sooner or Later and all the fantastic new songs that it brought to us, we wouldn't have Solo, the Donny Hathaway tribute, which is some of the finest work Hamish has ever produced in my humble opinion. Hamish's music has changed, and some of us have changed with it.

Alan & Onnie have made their decision to carry on with the same groove as they did 35 years ago, and we all respect that too, as it allows us to remember being 15 years old again for a couple of hours [like when we'll go to see them in Edinburgh this coming June 2nd].

Neither is right, and neither is wrong ... they are just different. And that is the key, we all need to learn to value that diversity and not reminisce over what it would be like if Hamish was back with AWB [although I wouldn't want to miss a one-nite-only reunion, just for nostalgia's sake].

So ... all that said, we should be glad we have the best of both worlds. We have AWB still beating out the groove we have all loved for the past 35 years, and we have some fantastic new stuff from Hamish that we would never have seen had he been part of the AWB set up. How lucky are we that we should complain ?

Alan/Onnie ... see you in Edinburgh in a fortnight. Hamish, see you in Darvel [where hopefully you'll be signing my new, soon to be released JimJam 2 & HSB CD's ... right ?].

End of debate ... forever !

Robert
Replies:
Subject: 606 etc

Author:
Dave Brown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:47:52 05/19/06 Fri

Hamish

No salt rubbed, no problem. Cheers for the Oct 2 news.

Dave
Replies:
Subject: AWB - 20/05/06 Kendal

Author:
Roy Fellows
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:45:27 05/21/06 Sun

Saw AWB at the Brewery Arts Centre Kendal on Saturday 20th May. They were good, very good - still energetic putting everything into a fantastic groovy funking set. Slightly surprisingly they played mostly songs originally recorded by AWB as we knew them - hardly any new material. More surprisingly those were songs in which Hamish had the lead vocal e.g. 'A Love of Your Own', 'Atlantic Avenue', 'Lets Go Round Again', 'Walk on By' etc. Klyde Jones was good, very good - but most definitely - ther ain't nothing like the real thing.
Replies:
Subject: alan gorrie

Author:
billy wright
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:31:23 05/18/06 Thu

Hi Hamish

I trawled a few web sites last night eventually i found the Average White Band site i have to say it was boring it is full of people talking about you and Alan and when you would get back together as a band,and there was comments about why you would not get back together
Replies:
Subject: Dog Almighty

Author:
Hamish Stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:07:53 05/10/06 Wed

Hi Hamish here,
I recently teamed up with my oldest buddy Matt Irving to write some music for a new animation show entitled "Dog Almighty"

The pilot airs tomorrow at 11.40.pm on Channel Four.
So--Catch it if you can.

Very funny stuff made by a company called "12foot6"
Please tune in and hope you enjoy it.
Best.
Hamish.
Replies:
Subject: 606 etc

Author:
dave brown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:30:27 05/18/06 Thu

Why do you do this to me? I'm feeling even worse about next week, as there are a number of musicians whose music I've been following over the years. As you may have guessed, I grew up around Glasgow and saw Jim Mullen play with Vinegar Joe at the Locarno, with Pete Brown at the Maryland and with a couple more bands to boot! And I saw you at the Maryland a couple of times as well, with the Dream Police. Anyway such is life, maybe I'll try harder for next week. Failing that I'' go and see my mum up in Lenzie again, and toodle down to Darvel. Or else, as you say, the '6' round about the same time. Thanks for the prompt answer, by the way. All the best.
Replies:
Subject: 606 club next week

Author:
dave brown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:38:48 05/17/06 Wed

Hamish - I was hoping to see you play at the 606 next week, but unfortunately can't make it. So when are you next playing there? I did see Adam Phillips last night playing Exeter with Richard Ashcroft (excellent), and I'll be seeing AWB next week also in Exeter. Small consolation though! And whilst writing this post, perhaps you can tell me if I saw you singing with a band called the In Crowd in the late 60s in Lenzie? Or is my memory failing me? Thanks in advance.
Replies:
Subject: Morrissey Mullen

Author:
Jane Oriel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:25 05/08/06 Mon

Hi Hamish,

I had no idea that, what I am assuming is, your imprint was responsible for putting Dick and Jim's album out on CD. Thank you!

I have been surfing here today in prep for interviewing Alan Gorrie for reginal press tomorrow about the current AWB tour so naturally gravitated to your site and found your link to MM.

Back in the day, my husband Tony bought the Atlantic Family live at montreaux and fell in love with Dick's playing. As a musician himself, in around 1980, he decided that one man, and one man only, would be the one to add sax to this unsigned unknown band's demo. We set about "stalking" Dick and although we lived (and still do) in Wales, we made pilgrimages to the Half Moon at Putney where we would cram ourselves with so many others into that legendary back room to see Morrissey Mullen. After one gig and with confidence forcibly bolstered, we asked Dick to session for us in Cardiff.

"Sure we can work it man!" was his reply.

Gone With The Wind by Diamond Edge beca,me something that it would never have without his insightful and nay perfect contribution. Due to amongst other factors including our lack of music biz savvy, the track never did see a full release but as my Tony gained a few record production jobs in the 80s, one other time Dick graced us with his unbelievable talent. Tony remains honoured and privaledged to have been counted amongst Dick's friends and they remained in touch almost the the point of his hideous and early death.

So Hamish, thank you again for letting us lose ourselves in both Dick and Jim's essential music.

Jane
PS. I have two other stories for you, but these relate to AWB and can wait for another time.

http://www.myspace.com/janeoriel
Replies:
Subject: darvel

Author:
david stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:30:37 10/15/05 Sat

hi bruv just felt i had to put a message on your board darvel was the best it was nice to see joe and mike again i know you really enjoyed it and the people were great look forward to seeing you at the 6 its 1.30am and sitting with mum and ali its his birthday and he wont put the guitar down i have had blues and the full bifta need to go now he has just gone onto my generation its ok he will grow out of it my mate went to see the awb he said they were minging still flogging a dead horse anyway see you soon your bruv dave
Replies:
Subject: Nothing to do with the music but light message

Author:
Jac P
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:57:52 05/03/06 Wed

Bonjour!

Can't sleep and have gone 21st century and gone online and found your site (Maw Stuart mentioned this to me).
This is totally wicked site.....still a handsome chappie Hamish AND you can sing!!
I'm now updated on your music but please don't ask me any questions about it, you know I'm useless.....but I do care.

Au revoir!
Jac
x
Replies:
Subject: yar hello

Author:
your beloved nephew ally aka alistair stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:21:11 05/05/06 Fri

yoyo uncle hamish. howz you this fine wether (its actually very bad). Anyway things in tarbert are great. i hear your going on a tour with ringo starr sounds amazing. i cant stop listening to jimjam. jim mullen is blowing my mind with his solos. things with my band are going great we got the 500 pound sponsership money so thats good were going to get some amps and stuff. well dads gettin anoyed so ill stop the message here. ally (yar)
Subject: /ABSOLUTE/

Author:
Louis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:05:00 05/05/06 Fri

Hi Hamish! I have some interesting/good news regarding ABS but my comp. crashed & I lost all my info(addresses etc..). CHEERS!
Subject: tour dates

Author:
tom rawley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:16:17 05/04/06 Thu

Hi Hamish , hope everything is well in your life, I was fortunate to see you and the band ( AWB ) play in Scotland for a good number of years, they were great years! I also saw you play at the attic in the grassmarket a few years ago, I wondered if you have any plans to come back up north with your band and play a couple of dates ? Im sure you would get a great reception , its been a while.
Tom.
Replies:
Subject: Ringo

Author:
Grant
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:27:34 04/26/06 Wed

Just to say good luck on your American tour with Ringo.
Replies:
  • Re: Ringo -- Hamish Stuart, 05:51:32 05/03/06 Wed
Subject: HELLO FROM THE PAST

Author:
HELLO FROM DUNCAN FAURE -
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:38:25 04/26/06 Wed

Dear Hamish

Duncan Faure here,(Bay City Rollers/Rabbitt) you were kind enough to worked with me on an album back in "93" in Los Angeles, with Jim Warsinski..

Have relocated back to California from South Africa, would love get back in touch with you...Please drop me an email at faure1234@hotmail.com.

Hope all is well with you...

Kindest Regards

Duncan Faure
Replies:
Subject: Hamish Stuart Band at 606 Club

Author:
Howard Finkel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:25:27 04/28/06 Fri

I saw Hamish and his band at the 606 Club this past week and they just knocked me out. They opened with a beautiful version of, I'll be Around by the Spinners and did AWB numbers, new numners, a couple of tracks from Stevie Wonders, Music of My Mind and a Ray Charles tune. I'm from the States and would love to see this band play there. Hamish lead this band beautifully and they're all powerful groove players as well as tremendous soloists. Yer really lucky to have this mighty band over in the UK. Don't miss them.
Replies:
Subject: Appreciation

Author:
Tom Carr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:37:17 04/29/06 Sat

Dear Hamish

Just a note to say that it was nice to see you adding some replies to some of the postings on the site.

Looking forward to Darvel and hoping to get some time to get to the 606.

Regards

Tom Carr
Replies:
Subject: Let Me Tell You A Story

Author:
Charlie Coffils
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:10:18 03/13/06 Mon

It was stormy night as the rain lashed our car as we drove to Bristol to see Hamish's drummer Ian Thomas in his "Yamaha Drum Clinic".
My son Andy ( also a drummer) came with me, we couldn't see the road it was raining so fast, so we had to drive slower than we would have liked.
Thankfully we made it just in time, as the clinic had already started, and Ian was laying down some serious drum patterns as we took our seats.Ian played to various backing tracks on which the musicians included Hamish,Steve Pearce,Jim Mullen, Adam Philips,and Bass player Laurence Cottle.
The music was also varied, from straight ahead Jazz,to Bozza', Funk,Blues,etc.Then Ian showed us his amazing technique on the drums, with left and right hand 4 and 5 stroke rolls.Then he takes a solo, building it really slowly until it reaches a climax and he is going round the kit so fast you can't see his hands move, but you can hear the amazing rhythm coming from the drum kit!wow, what a drummer.That's what I love about Ian Thomas's drumming, the guy can blow you away with his brilliant chops on the kit,then when he drum's with Hamish's band, he just "Plays The Song" as Hamish often says.
I understand that fully, as that's my philosophy regarding drums, as I also play the song,and only play a fill if the song really is begging for it??.I come from the old school of " Less Is More", as I'm sure Ian appreciates also.

Ian is also one of the nicest guys I know,with a wonderfully wicked sense of humour.At a lull in questions in the packed hall full of drummers,Ian said " go on ask me some more questions",then he asked himself a question, "Like Why am I so Fat???,Cause I Eat Too Much, and Don't Exercise??"~~~### he answered.The whole hall just broke out in spontanious laughter at Ian's comic timing, it was brilliant and unexpected, you had to be there to appreciate the moment.

Ian is the only drummer I would travel all the bloody way to Bristol to see.That's how much I love and respect the guy and his drumming,Ian is definately my favourite drummer,he is so versatile and inventive that he always inspires me, and makes me want to play drums.

Only the best will do for Hamish, and he certainly has the best in Ian Thomas,the Groovemaster.God bless you Ian, you're a top man.

Charlie
Replies:
Subject: North West Gigs

Author:
Steve Williams
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:04 02/09/06 Thu

Hamish,

When are you planning to play in the North West again? Been too long man, need a fix!!!
Replies:
Subject: 606 Last Night

Author:
Stevie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:46 04/25/06 Tue

How did gig go last night at 606? Hope to catch next one if possible.

Cheers
Stevie
Replies:
Subject: Joyful Discovery

Author:
Lynne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:35:35 01/27/06 Fri

I must be behind the times because I just discovered "Sooner or Later". What a wonderful CD!!! I'm a huge AWB fan from way back, but Sooner or Later is such a treat. It was hard to find over here in the states (damn yanks!). After listening to it, I asked my local smooth jazz station in Washington DC to start playing it.

This yank was born and raised in Edinburgh but she hasn't been back in 20 years. Glad to know that my fellow Scot is still making such great music! Dare I say it - his voice sounds even better than when he was with AWB. "Hamish, can I have some more please"?
Replies:
Subject: Just popped in to have a look

Author:
Keith L
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:33:05 03/11/06 Sat

Just popped in to have a look at the site. Not much going on not even a mention of a release date for JJ2.
Come on Hamish breathe some life into the forum even if itís to tell us that JJ2 will not be out until next year or give us some dates of when you hope to achieve performing above the Watford gap. Us up north need a fix!!!
Replies:
Subject: Merrylee School Photo

Author:
Ray Chapman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:21:17 03/25/06 Sat

Hamish

Found another photo of the full class at Merrylee we
must be about 10 years old.Send me an e-mail give me an address to send it to I have had it copied.Hope to see you soon. Ray
Replies:

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:44:27 03/25/06 Sat

Sadly Because of business commitments, have had to cancel Monday at The 606. But gladly am making arrangements to visit Darvel on 30th Sept. Now, about that meeting in the Black Bull....Hazel Farrell.
Replies:
Subject: Tokyo Gigs

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:57:47 03/29/06 Wed

Ohayo gozaimasu Stuart-san ... O genki desu-ka ?

How did the Tokyo gigs go Hamish ? Any chance of a match report on what it was like doing a week of shows there ?

sayonara,

Hajime mashite Stuart-desu ... Robert Stuart
Replies:
Subject: Barnsley

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:54:24 04/15/06 Sat

Just heard about Hamish playing at Aroma Cafe Barnley with Snake Davis on 3rd June. Have I booked? - you bet! Only one table left. Hazel Farrell
Replies:
Subject: Ringo's All Star Band

Author:
Jim Myers
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:40 04/20/06 Thu

Hamish,

The rumor in the U.S. is that you will be traveling with Ringo's All Star Band. Forgive me if I am "telling tells out of school".

If this is true, probably the most exciting news to come across the pond since '72.

Jim Myers
Indiana, Pa U.S.A.

Hometown of the famous actor Jimmy Stewart
Replies:
Subject: Darvel Music Festival - Ayrshire/Scotland

Author:
Neil and Sheila
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:05:06 03/27/06 Mon

We are delighted to announce the return of the HSB to the 5th Darvel Festival on Saturday 30 September 2006 with support from the Boogaloo Investigators and Set in Stone.

The band were fantastic last year and this year's gig should not be missed!

Tickets £15 Doors 7.30pm Close 12.30am Full Bar Facility
Reserve tickets via info@darvelmusicfestival.org

Other ticket outlets will be announced in due course

Cheers

Neil and Sheila
Subject: Hamish at Darvel

Author:
robert stuart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:25 03/14/06 Tue

Hi Folks,

I've been requested by the organisers to put this up on Hamish's website. After last October's 'Birthday' gig in Darvel I was more than happy to oblige. Hope to see you there. I've pre ordered my tickets already.

Robert Stuart

Darvel Music Festival # 5
The Hamish Stuart Band
with
The Five Aces aka Boogalloo Investigators
and Set in Stone
Saturday 30 September 2006
Tickets £15
Doors Open 7.30pm Close 1.00am
Full Bar Facility
Tickets Contact; info@darvelmusicfestival.org
or www.darvelmusicfestival.org
Replies:
Subject: 606 Club

Author:
Hazel Farrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:18:30 02/15/06 Wed

Another gre4at night at The 606 last Monday 13th Feb. Hamish and the boys gave so much to fans from Ireland, Scotland and goodness knows where else - creating a wonderful atmosphere and leaving us begging for more. Guess what - we'll be getting just that back at The 606 on March 27th! We'll be there. Paul and Hazel Farrell
Main index ] [ Archives: 123[4] ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.