VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:26:20 08/04/07 Sat
Author: Syl
Subject: Happenstance

This one’s from Swarl. Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting.

TITLE: Happenstance

STARRING: Audrey Tatou

I watch very few movies, but my DH found "Happenstance" at Netflix. I loved it.

This is a gently humorous film about a day in a French woman's life in which, as predicted by the daily astrology chart, she finds her True Love after a series of misadventures.

The film is peopled by quintessentially French characters whose lives unwittingly intertwine through 'happenstance': a stone thrown; a good deed done for no reason; the wearing of a yellow raincoat; a transported cockroach. Part of the fun is guessing and then being shown how the newest character to join the film fits into the plot.

The cinematography is reminiscent of Jacques Tati, i.e. urban modernism as either humor or desolation or both. The casting is a delight and the main female has become a star in her own right, even though this entire movie is deliciously understated. Enjoy.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Swarl. is it in English, or subtitled? -- Margy, 12:55:31 08/07/07 Tue

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Hi Margy, It is in French and subtitled. You miss some puns and some great French swears that are not translated literally, but other than that the English subtitles are pretty accurate. -- swarl, 12:52:12 08/08/07 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Thanks Swarl. I'm not great at subtitle films (I know, narrow minded of me) I tend to either be looking too hard at the writing and miss the action, or vice versa. -- Margy, 14:20:10 08/08/07 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> Sounds interesting! I'll look for it at the video store. :D Thanks, swarl! -- Judie, 06:48:01 08/10/07 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I love Audre Tatou (sp?).... Amelie is one of my favourite movies, I will have to look into this one! -- Oleander, 13:37:42 08/31/07 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.