VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:47:14 04/25/08 Fri
Author: Dennis Galke
Subject: Re: BONG SON BRIDGE
In reply to: Tom Roberts 's message, "Re: BONG SON BRIDGE" on 12:33:09 12/22/99 Wed

>> THE PICTURES OF THE BRIDGE ON THIS SITE BRING BACK>> MEMORIES. IWAS WITH 523RD ENGR CO.PORT CONST. AND WE>> WENT TO BONG SON IN 1967 TO DRIVE A PILING PIER AND>> RESET THE DROPPED SPANS ON THE OLD BRIDGE. THIS WAS>> USED ALONG WITH THE RAILROAD BRIDGE UNTIL REPLACED BY>> NEW BRIEGE IN 1970. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS>IN>> 523RD.>> THANKS--CORK PETERSON>> I was with the 523rd PC during my second tour from>April, 1971 to January, 1972 near Vinh Long down in>the Delta. At that time I was assigned to one of the>three barges we had in the unit which had a crane>mounted on it and we drove concrete pilings for a>bridge. We had a house barge attached with four>hooches on it and we lived on the river, only going in>to the company compound on pay day. I was one of two>E-5's on the barge which was supervised by an E-6. In>July, 1971 the local VC floated a mine down on us and>blew us up but the barge somehow stayed afloat and we>were able to rebuild and keep on going. Fortunately no>one was killed althoug we did lose three guys while I>was there, each one falling over the side and>drowning. The unit also had three 'mike boats' which>ran all over the Delta delivering supplies. I'm also>very familiar with the Bong Son area since I was>assigned to Co. B of the 84th which built the bridge>in Bong Son in 1970. I drove one of the two ready-mix>trucks in the unit. I understand the bridge stood for>about 2 years before they blew it up.>Glad to see that there are still some 523rd guys out>there. It was such a small unit I was very surprised>to see your post.>Take care.>Tom Roberts>Tyler, Texas Hello BuddyI was at Bong Son in 1970. I was with the 84th B co Earth Moving Platoon. I worked on the bridge for about 2 months. Then was sent to Phan Rang. Great to hear & see somebody from those days. Do you remember a guy named "Gooky"? They were great times bro.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.