VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]
Subject: uss auburn inquiry

Author:
paul westman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:40:44 09/02/11 Fri
In reply to: Marilyn Mauldin 's message, "USS AUBURN AGC-10 593rd JASCO" on 12:25:43 06/10/06 Sat

Hi,

I'm a nephew of Bob Borden, who served aboard the Auburn during the Okinawa campaign. Since he was a radio operator, I thought there was a chance he may have been acquainted with your husband.

My uncle, who passed away in 2007, once showed me a piece from the wing of a Japanese kamikaze that evidently narrowly missed the ship. He reported several crewmen were injured by the debris. He told us little else. He wrote a short summary of his experiences in the navy, that provides some details, but not all that much. Attached to this are copies of a few photos he took -- one showing twenty-six members of the "C division" on the Auburn in which my uncle served, and another of a line of radio consoles aboard the ship.

We are in the process of compiling a family history that will include my uncle's service in the navy, but have little other information beyond a series of "bare bones" dates. We'd really appreciate any information to flesh out the details of the kamikaze attack. In on-line searching, I found no evidence that the ship incurred casualties, and was wondering if my uncle may have been embellishing things a bit?

Also, we'd treasure any details about life aboard the ship -- giving the "flavor" of what went on -- recollections of what it was like to serve on the Auburn,
memories of crewmates, etc.

Sincerely,

Paul Westman

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
USS AuburnMatt Wallace07:59:22 05/14/12 Mon
Auburn RadiomanEric McCoy11:37:59 12/28/13 Sat

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.