VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5] ]

Amphibious Forces of WWII/USNTS Sampson
AMPHIBIOUS FORCES OF WWII/USNTS SAMPSON
Welcome to the Amphibs/Sampson Website Message Board. Due to spammers posting, it is moderated. Posts will not be visible until I mark them approved. They can also be out of sequence due to spam being deleted, but the message chain being marked as updated. I also delete partisan political commentary. Russ
Back to Website

Subject: Does Anyone Remember George Feldt?

Author:
Chris Feldt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:46:53 12/27/03 Sat

Does anyone remember my father, George Feldt? He came from New York. He doesn't remember much, but thinks he was there in spring 45?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: did you know my dad William J. Homan on AKA-78 USS Trego

Author:
Patric Homan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:25:51 06/19/05 Sun

My father William J. Homan served on board the USS Trego(AKA-78)in the So. Pacific during WWII. He was a ships EM I believe and also spentsome time on the Isle of Shoals on the east coast installing radar and sonar equipment. He passed in 1971 at age 49 and i was looking for anyone who may have served with him that has info or stories to share. I am trying to pass along family history to my 10 year old son who never met his grandfather.

Subject: John Cammarata

Author:
Brian Dena
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:51:36 06/15/05 Wed

I am the grandson of John Cammarata. I am wondering if anyone has any memories of him or old pictures. Please contact me at bbdena@aol.com if you have any information. Thanks.

Subject: Brings Back Memories

Author:
George Larson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:49:09 02/20/02 Wed

Russ,
WOW!!--What can I say? First, I think that it is a great tribute to your Dad. It is a terrific Web Site with so much to offer and very well done! I served on the USS Darke, APA 159, 1944-'46 . . . Philippine Liberation, Iwo Jima and Okinawa invasions. While surfing your Site and reading the history of the other APA's, it took me back, . . . and I was there again. What a thrill! Thank you very much!
George Larson, Grass Valley, CA

Replies:
Subject: IWO JIMA SURVIVORS

Author:
MRS MERLE ARTHUR WAUGAMAN JR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:49:16 02/24/05 Thu

MY HUSBAD WAS ABOARD APA 159 THE USS DARKE,HE PASSED IN 1996, HIS SHIP WAS ALSO IN ON THE INVASION OF IWO JIMA, & OKINAWA ANDIN ON THE LIBERATION OF THE PHILLIPENS, AND HIS SHIP WAS ALSO IN YOKOHAMA BAY FORTHE SIGNING OF THE PEACE WITH JAPAN, AM INTERESTED IN EXCHANGIN INFO WITH ANYONE WHO SO DESIRES/
JEANNE

Replies:
Subject: LCT VOYAGE FROM PEARL HARBOR TO LEYTE PI

Author:
Michael Holohan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:10 06/07/05 Tue

Looking for members of LCT group 93 that crossed the Pacific under their own power from Pearl Harbor to Leyte P.I.in April 1945. Then onto Okinowa.

I was on the LCT 1108. The Skipper was Ens.Willy Womack from Mississippi. Dayton Greatsinger from Long Island NY was the Bosn.

I was later transferred to the Flagship LCI 427 under Flotilla Commander Dilly.

This May I attended An LCT reunion in San Diego, Ca

Subject: Sampson Boots--Co. 457 F unit 10/44-12/45

Author:
Jerry (Slim) Snyder
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:19:41 06/06/05 Mon

If anyone from this Company is still around and wants a Company photo, I will be glad to scan and send. Company commander was Wally Townes BM2/c and Asst. Company commander was Lou Forni, rate unknown.
PS; We won the rooster.

Subject: Pharmacist Mate on APA 193 Sanborn...

Author:
j. holman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:31:33 05/30/05 Mon

In reading the history of APA 193 Sanborn I noted that Dary, Byron Alfred, PhM3c was killed in action on Iwo Jima as a member of a beach party

I did not see it addressed in the Sanborn's history, but Byron Alfred Dary was a posthumous recipient of the Navy Cross.

Replies:
Subject: USS BLUELICK

Author:
Teresa Alberts-Wentworth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:52:04 05/25/05 Wed

Looking for any information pertaining to a vessel called the USS BLUELICK. My father-in-law , Bob Wentworth, talks of his ship days. I was wondering if anyone may have family who may have been on this vessel. Pictures would be great
Thank You
Teresa Alberts-Wentworth

Subject: The Greatest Generation....

Author:
Lee Huber
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:56:25 05/27/05 Fri

I am looking for anyone that new my father. His name is Carl L. Huber and was in the Navy Amphibs from 1943 - 1945. He passed away in 1974. He didn't talk to much about the war unless I asked. He stated that he was at Iwo, Saipan, and went into either Nagasaki or Hiroshima right after the signing. I am not sure what Amphib unit or what boat name he served under. He received 2 purple hearts because the landing craft he was on was hit by a shell and he had to go in with the Marines for a couple of days. He then received another Purple Heart when a shell landed in a foxhole he was sharing with 2 marines. He made it, they didn't.
If anyone knows any info about my Dad, I would be happy to hear from them. Please email me with info at: Fliboy007@aol.com

Subject: OCTOBER -1944-SAMPSON-G UNIT-BARRACKS 701- RADIO SCHOOL

Author:
JOHN LAUDICINA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:35:10 08/29/03 Fri

LOOKING TO CONTACT ,,,,
WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU ARE STILL AROUND??????
THOSE SHIPMATES, WERE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS!!!
I ALSO SERVED WITH LCI GROUP STAFF 46-- ABOARD LCI ( R )1068 LATER TRANSFERRED TO SHIPS COMPANY

Replies:
  • LCI 's -- Leon Gilbo, 12:38:03 05/25/05 Wed
Subject: death of Neshoba crew member

Author:
Lisa Naranjo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:46:57 04/25/05 Mon

Jesse Kyle Moss known as JK or "Ace" passed away last week on April 20, 2005. He was 79. He left behind 5 children, 7 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren. He was a wonderful father and a great patriot. He never spoke of his war experiences, but he was very proud to have served. He served between December 1943 and December 1947 aboard the USS Neshoba. He was from Lubbock, Texas. His brother Leonard David died on the submarine called Albacor at age 22. He had 5 other brothers that served during WWII and a younger brother who served in Korea. We mourn his passing. We love him very much. If you know of him, please write and tell us about him.

Many thanks

Lisa Naranjo

Subject: USS NESHOBA

Author:
G. Coleman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:41:28 04/23/05 Sat

My uncle, Marlowe John Dahlgren, Jr. was the only fatality aboard the USS Neshoba on May 7, 1945 near Maui. I would like to hear from anyone who knew him or has photos of him.

Subject: uss virgo

Author:
roz gosselin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:04 04/16/05 Sat

we are a community theatre group in suburban Philadelphia Pa and will be doing Mr. Roberts in the fall. We would love to talk to any one aboard the USS Virgo during WW2

Subject: P-47 Thunderbolt at Sampson

Author:
Ben P. Fisher, Jr.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:56:47 04/15/05 Fri

There was a P-47 Thunderbolt on static display at Sampson AFB in the 1950s. A P-47 was recovered from the Shortsville NY American Legion Post by the Peterson Air and Space Museum in Colorado Springs Colorado and it is suspected that it is the same aircraft but need a picture of it at Sampson to verify tail numbers. If anyone by chance has a picture of the P-47 at Sampson we would love to have a copy of it to confirm our suspicions. Many thanks Ben P. Fisher Jr. Corona Arizona

Subject: Looking for Father photo's in WW 2

Author:
Philip Antone Scharosch
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:52:41 02/29/04 Sun

My father said he was blown off ship at Pearl Harbor.He said he was a signal man on ship.The ship he was on was USS Raleigh..Can anyone help me..?

Replies:
Subject: AKL 1-Camano , 2-Deal , 3- Elba, 4-Errol, 5-Estero , 6-Jekyl

Author:
Russ Padden
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:21:15 04/09/05 Sat

One of the men who has shared his images with the website has some information regarding these AKL's that he would like to share with anyone who served on these ships in the late 40's to early 50's.

Contact me and I will connect you if you are interested.

This man served on an AKA around the same time.

Russ Padden -webmaster

Subject: Question

Author:
JohDriscoll
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:49:59 03/17/05 Thu

Entered sampson july 1944 d unit asking for company number we had two Driscoll in the co. richard& myself sent to camp perry after boot then to west coast served on the apa 223 uss pitt

Subject: Anyone remembering my father

Author:
Al Zastrow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:36:05 03/17/05 Thu

Hello, Everyone!! Thank you to ALL of you VETERANS!!! Also Thank you Russ for a great avenue of information. I am wondering if anyone remembers my father William (Bill) Zastrow. He served aboard the U.S.S. Neshoba. He passed away this last Tuesday and I really miss him. Would love to hear from anyone who had served with my father. Again, Thank you Veterans!!!!

Subject: Looking for Shipmates of LCI 774 - "Genata's Bastards"

Author:
Kevin Morrall
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:35 03/14/05 Mon

I believe I posted an inquiry on this site a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure.

I've been looking for anyone who remembers, or served on LCI 774. My father, Louis "Ray" Morrall served on her in the South Pacific in the latter part of the war.

Dad is now turning 79, and has Parkinson's Disease. This year I'm dedicating as much time as I can towards locating old shipmates, getting a reissuing of his medals (lost long ago), and helping him to remember, and talk about, the single most life-altering experience he ever encountered.

I know that it would mean the world to him if any of his old buddies would contact him, to talk about those days, catch up with him about life since then, and remember those that didn't make it back.

Please contact me at kmorrall@comcast.net, and I will forward information to my father, and send you his mailing address and phone number.

Best wishes to all, and thank you,
Kevin Morrall

Subject: LST 266

Author:
Shirley Isbill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:19 11/29/04 Mon

I'm looking for a ship's log for LST 266 hoping to get a 175th Infantry soldier list.

Replies:
Subject: Death of Ray Rowling

Author:
Bob Friedhaber
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:33:32 03/04/05 Fri

Rowling, Raymond R.<#1> Sun., Feb. 27, 2005. Age 77. Loving husband, father and friend. Predeceased by his sister, Doris Lighthouse and brother, Jim Rowling. Survived by his bride of 57 years, Billie; 2 loving daughters, Robin (Tom)) Bell, Lynn (Kevin) Rowling; 2 grandsons, Jonathan Bell of Davis, CA andStephen Bell; loving brother, Bill (Betty) and sisters, Myra Allen and Gladys (Warren) Pearce; dear nephew, David Lighthouse and many nieces and nephews. Ray has been a life long resident of Gates, NY. He graduated from Edison H.S. and enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served aboard the USS Dayton during WW II. Ray was sole proprietor of Rowling Heating and Air Cond. for 50 years. He was also a member of The USS Dayton Assoc., American Legion, VFW and Sampson WW II Veteran Assoc. He also enjoyed Travel, fishing, nature and spending time with his friends and family.Memorial Service will be held Friday, March 4th, 3 PM at the Hidden Valley Club (off Pixle y Rd.). In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Humane Society at Lollypop Farm, 99 Victor Rd., Fairport, 14450. Arrangements by Leo M. Bean and Sons Funeral Home.
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Subclassification: Death Notices in Monroe County 3/2/2005

Subject: In search of some old buddies

Author:
Les Williamson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:37:00 02/18/05 Fri

I'm trying to locate Leroy aka Bud Sherman, Carl Biller and Don Dorsey. Please contact me if you have any information on these people.

Subject: SAMPSON BOOTS

Author:
Bill Maslak
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:31 09/10/04 Fri

Was at Sampson 6-23-45 to 9-5-45. Can't remember the company number. I think the CO was a second class named Collins. I can remember only two boots, Barnhart and Dudek. Both were older (in their 30's)and discharged right from boot camp. I would like to hear from anyone who remembers these men and/or the company number. After gun school I served aboad the USS Maumee, AG-124 and USS McCaffery, DD-860. Would like to hear from anyone who served aboard these ships. We have a McCaffery Association and newsletter.

Replies:
Subject: Seaman 2nd class, Steven Benjamin Coleman

Author:
Greg Lawson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:09:32 01/30/05 Sun

Need any info on death of Seaman 2nd Class Steven Benjamin Colemen (Sr(?) who is reported to have died while on furlough from Sampson Naval Base. DOB cir 1926. DOD unknown. Son may be Steven Benjamin Coleman Jr. S2ndC Coleman reported to have been in training for sub duty on Nautilus. What govt agency might have records on his death. A niece is looking for Coleman's children for family reunion and wants to meet cousins she has never known. Greg in Michigan.

Replies:
Subject: REUNION

Author:
John Tonyes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:07:40 10/27/04 Wed

Ahoy Shipmates:
The USS TELFAIR APA 210 WILL BE HAVING ITS REUNION IN "MILWAUKEE, WISCONIN" on September 8-11, 2004. Please plan to attend. For further information, contact: John Tonyes at flfox1@juno.com I am also looking for "MEM OVERBOARD" that is not on our Roster. Smooth Sailing
You have a really nice site

Replies:
Subject: Lookin for crew members of the USS Ulysses ARB 9

Author:
Cheryl mocek
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:47:55 01/18/05 Tue

My dad, William Merritt, served on the USS Ulysses ARB 9. He served in the Solomon Islands. He was discharged on January 22, 1946. He turns 80 in August 2005 and I am hoping to find some of th crew. Thanks for you for your help.

Subject: dupont

Author:
mark scherer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:18:34 01/17/05 Mon

any memories of being in the outgoing unit at Sampson in feb 44 and being sent to work for Dupont who was building a plant at that time...

Subject: USS San Pablo AVP

Author:
Chris Feldt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:48:37 12/31/04 Fri

My father, George Feldt, trained at Sampson in late Spring of 1945. He does not remember his company. He later served on the USS San Pablo AVP and was stationed in Caviti, Phillipines.

Does anyone remember him, or did you also serve aboard the San Pablo? I would love to hear from anyone who did.

Thanks for such a wonderful site!

Replies:
Subject: Anyone who serverd on the USS San Pablo

Author:
Jerry Giles GM 1944/1946
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:42:10 01/16/05 Sun

I am trying to locate anyone from the ship. We have a reunion coming up in May, 2005 in Norfolk VA. Please send me an email or phone me at 724-837-7866. Thanks

Subject: USS San Pablo

Author:
Jerry giles
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:02:46 01/13/05 Thu

I would like to hear from anyone who served on the Uss San Pablo. Iwas on the ship from Dec 1944 to May 1946. One of my good friend was a guy named Dale Hanson from Sweetwater SD. The ship is having reunion in Norfolk VA
this May 2005. If anyone is interested call me 724-837-7866

Subject: USS San Saba, APA-232

Author:
Tim De Groot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:18 11/20/04 Sat

My father, Florian "Chub" De Groot, served on the "Ole Tub" as he called it, during WW II. He passed away in 1987 and I am putting together a display case,for our family,of his awards and citations. I have received replacement medals from the US Navy as we could not locate the originals. Those are the American Campaign, Asiatic Pacific Campaign, WW II Victory, and Philippine Liberation. In my investigation, I have found that he may be entitled to two awards that he did not receive. They would be the China Service Medal and the WW II Navy Occupation Medal. To qualify for the first you had to be in China after September 1, 1945, for the second, you had to be in occupied territory for 30 days after hostilities have ended. If anyone that served with my father can shed some light as to the awards the ship received it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Tim

Replies:
Subject: Iwo Jima reunion in Fredericksburg, Texas

Author:
Ray Morris
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:21:46 12/24/04 Fri

http://www.nimitz-museum.org/iwojima2004.htm

Attached is a link to the upcoming reunion and commemoration to be held on the weekend of the 60th anniversary of the invasion. If you haven't visited the museum or this part of Texas, you'll enjoy the beauty of the Texas hill country and an outstanding collection of memorabilia from the Pacific War. The volunteers at the museum do a great job and I'm sure this will be a first class event and chance to honor and remember our brave fighting men and women.

Replies:
Subject: help me find info. on my dad Vernon A. Woebse Jr.

Author:
Laurie Sobieski
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:58:47 12/23/04 Thu

I am looking for any info. or pictures, at all about my dad who passed away on March 23, 2004, I miss him so.he was in the U.S. Naval Training Center in Sampson, N.Y.
around Sept. 24, 1945. please help me.
his name is Vernon A. Woebse Jr.
he went into the U.S. Navy also

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone remeber my dad, Joseph Stanton

Author:
Barbara Ross
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:45:06 12/25/04 Sat

I was wondering if anyone remebers my dad, Joseph Stanton, from Brooklyn, NY. He trained at Sampson Around 1943/44. Please email me if anyone remebers him. Thanks, Barbara Ross

Subject: 69th amphibian tractor battalion

Author:
roger myers
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:12:36 12/04/04 Sat

I am researching my father's(Sgt. William Myers) WWII military service history. He was discharged as Sgt., 69th Amphibious Tractor Bn. I belive this outfit was formed in Germany in July 1945. It is my assumption that it was preparing/training for an invastion in the Pacific when the war ended. I can not find any information about the 69th AmphTrctBn. Can anyone help, please? Thanks.

Subject: Information on grandparent - Floyd Pearson Farris

Author:
Jamie L Wall
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:18:14 11/27/04 Sat

I am researching my maternal grandfather native american serving with seabees in guam during wwII. His name is Floyd Pearson Farris, born in Tennessee. He was a seabee in world war II in guam or the pacific theatre area. He continued to reside in guam until his death in 1990. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. I am trying to locate heritage for medical reasons and both my mother and father have passed away along with all my direct grandparents, uncles and aunts on my maternal side.

Thank you

Subject: Jake

Author:
Jack Rilling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:55:43 11/11/04 Thu

Hello and Thank-you. My name is Jacob Rilling (3rd), Jake's namesake son. The thank you I express to you is for the true friendship many of you offered my Dad. He was VERY proud to be one of you and equally as proud to "serve his 2nd hitch" with you SAMPSON SALTS. My wife and I were fortunate to meet several of you at several different reunions we attended with Jake and Claire and are still impressed with the caliber of people we met. He loved you all. Today is Jake's Birthday. November 11th, Veterans Day. I miss you, Dad, may the wind be at your back until we meet again.

Subject: Information on James L Potter USNTS Sampson NY

Author:
David Potter (Son)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:46:03 11/08/04 Mon

Looking for information on my Father James L Potter who enlisted in the Navy in 1943. and served until 1945, He went to USNTS in Sampson NY. I'm looking for any photos or any information on any fellow sailors that my have served with my father. To the Gentlmen Bob or Robert taht emailed me once before! My Father was in Company # 3 Please email me

Subject: discharge on points ww11

Author:
joe devine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:37:18 01/26/03 Sun

any one recall how the point system worked for discharge
from the navy after ww11 i got out on points but i cant
recall how the system worked.
thanks
joe devine

Replies:
Subject: edward ladowski

Author:
teri jaszcz
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:28:58 10/13/04 Wed

i'm looking for any pictures that might be found of my grandfater that was at sampson.
edward ladowski
05/31/45 - 08/10/45 unit D comp. 241.
if anyone has a picture that they could e-mail it would greatly be appreciated. last time i was at sampson i couldn't find one either.(2 yrs ago)
htjaszcz@aol.com

Subject: LSM 213

Author:
Bob Wilsea
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:40:02 10/07/04 Thu

Requesting to meet people who were shipmates with my Dad, John C. Wilsea in 1944-45 in the Pacific. My dad was in the decisive battles in the Pacific.

Subject: USS WAYNE APA-54

Author:
Claudine Sclafani
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:03:14 01/15/03 Wed

Hello there --I am searching ( I've already spoken with Grady :) for friends and shipmates that may have known my grandfather Peter Anthony Salzarulo aka "Sali" by his friends onboard. He served as a Gunners Mate 3rd Class From June of 1943 - November 1945 On the USS WAYNE. I was wondering if anyone remembered him and if so--could they share some memories? Thanks!! GREAT WEBSITE!!

Replies:
Subject: USS Wayne APA 54

Author:
Pat Stanley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:42:42 05/31/04 Mon

Hello to all,
Looking to contact any crewmemember of the Wayne. My Dad, George P. Stanley, Sr., Chief Machinist's Mate served 1943? thru 1945. I saw his name on the website as the Royal Scribe in Neptunus Rex Crossing the Equator. (He had already crossed the equator in the 1930's aboard the USS Hull which made him a shellback(?) mossback(?)) My sister and I are putting together a history of our Dad and uncles: Bill Stanley, Chief Boatswain's Mate and Vince Stanley, Chief Boatswain's Mate.
Thanks to all veterans for your service!
God Bless America and our military serving worldwide!

Replies:
Subject: USS George Clymer APA - 27, 1942-1967

Author:
Fred D. Pellegrene
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:25:33 04/19/04 Mon

USS George Clymer APA - 27 Reunion, 1942-1967
ComPhibRon III
October 21 - 24, 2004 - Branson, MO

4863 Valley Road
Trenton, MI 48183-5704

E-mail: drvino@provide.net

Phone: 734-676-7671

Replies:
Subject: My Dad served at D-Day

Author:
Jan R. Johnson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:30:58 09/11/04 Sat

Note from webmaster-this was copied from the alternate guestbook that I was testing. I have disabled the test guestbook.

My Dad served at D-Day, Omaha Beach, when he was 19 years old. He served on an LCM. We were honored to be able to take him and my Mom to the WONDERFUL WWII Memorial Dedication in May. He enjoyed himself so much and we were so proud to be there with him and all the other brave, humble VETS. We honor them all.

Sincerely,
Jan Rich Johnson, Shoreview, MN
My Dad - Jesse W. Rich from Columbia, TN

Subject: Looking For Info On Father Andrew J Besold(Buddy)

Author:
Linda Besold(daughter)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:24:56 09/07/04 Tue

Looking for anyone who may have known my father Andrew J Besold Jr.I found a graduation picture from sampson naval station dated March 14 1944 Co 175.He went to pearl harbor as a signalmen.He survied the war and latter passed away in 1980.Would love to chat with anyone who may have known him.His knickname was Buddy.

buddy

Subject: Sampson Reunion 2004

Author:
Rick Miller
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:19:12 06/24/04 Thu

Is there a reunion planned for this year at Sampson? My dad, Robert B. Miller, did his naval training in 1944 at Sampson and finally stationed in Panama. He could not make it last year, but is interested in attending this year's reunion, if one is being planned. Can you give me the details.
Thank you.

Replies:
Subject: 133rd Seabees -Iwo-Jima - Petition

Author:
John Ratomski
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:53 08/09/04 Mon

I recently started an online Petition for the 133rd Seabees who are still trying to get the Presidential Unit Citation for Iwo-Jima. Please Sign the Petition and Pass it on to others! It would be Greatly appreciated. Go To www.Petitiononline.com and click on Petition search, look for 133rd Seabees. Thanks!

John Ratomski "Son of a WWII Seabee

Subject: Person Locate

Author:
Rebecca Pfeil Schweitzer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:14 08/07/04 Sat

I am looking for a person by the name of Fred Hickman who was a chief electrician on the Uss Jerauld. He was a dear friend of my father, Maurice Pfeil, (Pronounced file) who also served aboard that ship. If anyone has information leading to the whereabouts of Fred Hickman please call me at (509) 656-2525. Thank you very much. Sincerely, Rebecca Schweitzer

Subject: looking for old friends

Author:
joe devine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:44 07/16/04 Fri

looking for any sailors who were in co. 417 from 4/1/43
to 6/1/43 would like to hear from you.
joe devine

Subject: great job

Author:
ray purcell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:43:23 07/13/04 Tue

Thanks Russ,
You've done a great job, the site address should be very visabaly displayed in our newsletter. Many people are still just hooking up with their old "favorites" and may miss this one.
Ray Purcell

Subject: informative

Author:
stan svec
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:18:37 07/06/04 Tue

was out in Frisco last week and went aboard the jeremiah
obrien. Absolutly fantastic job of restoration. Brought back
a lot of memories. If anyone is interested try
http://www.geocities.com/jeremiahobrien/related.html,
http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html,
http://www.usmm.org
FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS
STAN SVEC

Replies:
Subject: USS Neshoba APA-216

Author:
Laurie Kelly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:34:09 07/06/04 Tue

My father, who is still living-88 years old, served on the Neshoba. His name is Guy Claycomb. He was a radarman. Another shipmate, last name Larson, lives in the same town as Dad.

Does anyone remember my dad?

Subject: Company 572

Author:
Deb Sherwood
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:50:45 07/03/04 Sat

I'm looking for anyone in Company 572 in December 1943, who might have trained and served with my Dad, Verne "Dib" A. Baldwin. We lost Dad on March 15th, 2004 and I'm trying to collect information, pictures, stories - anything, for a memory book for the family. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Subject: LCT in WW2

Author:
Jesica Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:05:55 06/17/04 Thu

I'm looking for information on Navy Landing Craft used to land the 41st div on Tawi Tawi, Jolo, Basilan and Mindanao islands during the months of March and April 1945: specifically, LCT 1119, group 95, FLotilla 32. Any information would be greatly apopreciated. Nothing is available from the Navy.

Subject: USS Barnett

Author:
Steve F. Hughes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:18:45 06/05/04 Sat

My Dad served in the Navy from 1943-1946. He died in 1951 in a Mining accident. All I have about his time during the WW2 is a list he kept of dates and where he was or what ship he was on during that time. He list the USS Barnett in Feburary 1944 and on June 6 1944 he lists "LCM 57 France"
Later dates in that year lists USS Eleazer Wheel and LST 983 and LCI 305 His name was Joseph "Joe" W. Hughes if anyone served with him or know anything about these ships please email me. Thank You

Subject: USS Charles Carroll APA28 - new book

Author:
Ken Goldman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:42:50 05/26/04 Wed

I have recently published a book that may be of interest. It covers the WWII history of USS Charles Carroll APA28, her crew and the troops she carried to the invasions of North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, Normandy, Southern France and Okinawa. The core research material comes from crew interviews and diaries and the wealth of original documents that my father saved from his time aboard, during which he rose from being an assault wave commander to being the ship's navigator. For further information go to the publisher's webpage at www.trafford.com/robots/03-2662.html

Subject: Crew Members of the USS Nashoba

Author:
Karen Kaczorek
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:05 05/20/04 Thu

Hi~

I'm looking to find anybody who knew my Dad. His name was Felix Kaczorek, but would've been called Ted, and lived in Brooklyn, NY. He worked in the engine room.

I would love to talk about what my dad was like than and his experiences. Also, to see any old photos. Dad never talked of the war. Now that he's passed away, I would like to know more about that part of his life.

Thank you~

Karen Kaczorek
Philadelphia, PA

Subject: Co. 344 June 9, 1944 Photo

Author:
Karen J. Pulver(Shultis)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:48:11 05/19/04 Wed

Hi, I have a photo of Co. 344 dated June 9, 1944 from SAmpson, NY USN Training Center. My Dad. William F. Shultis was in this company. I an going to scan it into my computer and if you want i can send it to you by e-mail.

My husband was doing some research on the computer and found your site. He was in the Navy (during VietNam) and our youngest son is serving now.

Can I print out some of the postcards and photos on the site? I'd like to add them to my Dad scrapbook for my children. My Dad died in 1976 and until about three years ago I never knew he was in the Navy as well as the Army.

Thank you for this site. Karen J. Pulver Proud daughter

Subject: LCP information and Guadalcanal

Author:
Jarek
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:40:57 03/21/04 Sun

This message was sent to the Amphibs email, I'm posting it here with hopes that someone has this information for Jarek.
He's looking for information on LCP (L)'s and on Guadalcanal.
Russ Padden - the web guy from the Amphib site.
============
My name is Jarek and I'm from Poland. I work on book about the campaign on Guadalcanal so I'm interested in Americans small landing crafts. May you grant me some help in questions about LCP (L).
I will be most thankful for your help.
1) In what year LCP (L) entered military use? In 1940 or maybe 1941?
2) What was the complete production (in numbers) of that Higgins boat LCP(L)? During D-Day at Guadalcanal they ware present in number such as 303 or 308 multiple dates says other numbers.
3) Ware they mainly armed with twin MG Lewis Mk1? Maybe they ware armed with Browning Mk 1919 ? On few pictures (photos) they are presented only with Lewis Guns.
4) Was LCP (L) armored? No, as I think but I may be wrong.
Regards from Poland,
Jarek

Replies:
Subject: I was at Sampson in 2-44. Served aboard the USS Monrovia

Author:
Normand Holcomb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:01:00 04/14/04 Wed

I arrived Jan 27 1944 from Providence RI to start boot camp.
I was in Dewey Unit Co 226. I am 78 years old, in good health and now living in Naples Maine

Norm Holcomb woon@pivot.net

Subject: Uss-Jupiter

Author:
Bernard Speak
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:04:01 03/27/04 Sat

Hi,
If anyone knows about or was on the Jupiter in the end of World War II please let me know anything about it. My Father just recently passed away and I am our family Historian in the family, I tried to get all I could about his time on the ship and what he did but he would only cry at the end and I found out that he was in the amphibious forces and was a commander of the Higgins boat, I really do not know much about all of it. Please let me know about any thing on the war in the Phillipines Please.
Donna McCoy
Greenalba@prodigy.net

Subject: SHIPMATES FROM IWO JIMA

Author:
ROBERT L. SINCLAIR, RM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:51 03/25/04 Thu

HI
I AM LOOKING FOR ANYONE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN STATIONED WITH A ROBERT L.SINCLAIR,RADIOMAN. HE WAS ON AN LCT AT
IOW JIMA. HE WAS ASSIGNED TO THE MARINES AS A BEACH JUMPER AND WAS THERE THE NIGHT BEFORE. HE WAS WITH THE 4TH MARINE
DIV. HE HAD HIS RIGHT HAND CRUSHED BETWEEN TWO SHIPS AND WAS TAKEN TO AN APR?AND NOT A REGULAR HOSPITAL SHIP FOR MEDICAL HELP.A BABY DOCTOR SAVED HIS HAND BY WIRING IT. BOB'S MEDICAL RECORDS DO NOT HAVE ANY INFORMATION. HE WAS GIVEN 30%DISABILTIY WHEN HE WAS DISCHARGED IN 1946 BUT GOT CALLED BACK IN 1950.
HIS HAND IS SO FINELY WIRED THE X RAYS DON'T SHOW IT.
THE VA DOESN'T SEEM TO BE MUCH HELP OR CARE.
IN HELPING US FIND OUT WHAT HAPPEND.
OUR PHONE IS 916-721-3922 IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR
E MAIL US.
THANKS
BOB SINCLAIR

Replies:
Subject: my Pop-pop

Author:
Kiley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:17:06 03/22/04 Mon

My Grandmom and Pop-pop took my cousins and I to camp at Sampson when we were kids....prolly over 14 yrs ago. I didn't know then the history this place and my Pop-pop had. I had always seen this pictures my grandparents have of a unit in their den but i didnt really know about it. I asked about it and found out that my Pop-pop had trained at Sampson as a 19yr old kid...he doesnt talk about it much....but u can tell he has some memories. His name is Paul W. Appleton, Jr. Please let me know if u know him......
I just love this website and i plan on going to see the museum next time i am on my way by Seneca Lake going to see family.

Subject: Wanted photos stories ect

Author:
John Friedel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:13:17 03/19/04 Fri

I am looking for any photos or stories from those who served with my grandfather who recently past away. His name was John (Jack) Friedel. He served from 43-46 and received his college education at sampson naval base. If you knew him or served with him and have any information please e-mail me. I am collecting it for my grandmother.

Subject: Sampson Naval Training Station

Author:
Harry Allston
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:02:01 03/05/02 Tue

Want to add that I took my 'boot' at Sampson from 12-8-1943 to 2-?-1944. Was transferred to a amphibious base ???. Sent by train, to Tonawanda, NY where we picked up LCT 1019 and sailed it down the Erie Canal to Camp Bradford, VA. What an experience. A great Amphib site and my sincere thanks to all who are responsible.

So much more I could tell but so little time. Again thanks.

Harry Allston, Reedley, CA

Replies:
Subject: Amphibian "Spotters"

Author:
Ed Finigan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:21 03/08/04 Mon

When I graduated from Sampson USNTS Company 429 in Jan 1943, I headed for FireControl School in RI, but many of the Company members were assigned to Little Creek VA to serve as "Spotters". Is there any link that will allow me to find out the type of billets they filled.
Email me at USS_Whipple@comcast.net

Subject: Anyone know my father Wes Montgomery SR, enlisted 3/25/43

Author:
Cynthis Wilson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:37:00 03/04/04 Thu

Looking for anyone that can help me find information, web sites, photos, and possible fellow sailors that knew my father. My father was Wesley R. Montgomery SR. Both of my parents have passed away and I want to piece together where my Dad was during his time in The Navy, The only information I do have is that he enlisted 3/35/43, at NTS SAmpson NY. His Service & Vessels ..USN AAB Plymouth, USN AAB Navy # 416, USS LST # 50 , USS LCI(L)188, USS Gladiator AM-319. He rec'd European Theatre Ribbon ( 2 stars), Pacific Theatre ribbon (1 star), American Theatre, Victory Medal.
I'm looking for any photos or any information on any fellow sailors that served with father. If anyone can help me find information about where exactly he was and when.
I'd appreciate any and all emails, coorespondence.
Thank You,
Cynthia Montgomery Wilson
30 Bradbury Rd
New Castle, DE 19720
302-328-7288
email: Wilsontctj@msn.com

Replies:
Subject: Company 412 April 1944 Unit F Barracks 6 Lower

Author:
Richard Cornish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:58 02/23/04 Mon

Looking for Jim Conner, 'Itchy' Byrnes from Morristown, NJ, David Ladner, Castaldo(sp?), Milton Bobeck, Dale Byers, or anyone else from Company 412 Unit F during April, 1944 during the 4 week training, one week leave, then OGU.
It's only been 60 years, please anyone call if you have any info. Also, anyone from the train trip from Sampson to San Diego June 2, June 8, 1944.
Richard Cornish,
Allentown, PA
(610) 965-9087

BKR 2/c
Base Hospital 13,14
at New Guinea, Phillipine Isles.
LST 652,and LST 468
Quonset Point Naval Air Station, Providence RI.

Subject: Looking For Information on my Father

Author:
David Potter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:20 02/20/04 Fri

Looking for information on my Father James L Potter who enlisted in the Navy in 1943. and served until 1945, He went to USNTS in Sampson NY. I'm looking for any photos or any information on any fellow sailors that my have served with my father.

Subject: My spouse played Sampson w/Mal Hallett's Big Band

Author:
Billie Jo Harder-Downs
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:39 01/30/04 Fri

Hello and God Bless those who serve, have served and will serve for our Nations Freedom! They wouldn't let my Ed in the service because he had a perforatted ear drum(he tried 3 times!)soooooo, since he was a trumpet player he began travelling with the big bands throughout the 40's (from 43 through 49) In 44 and 45 he played mostly with Mal Hallett and played Sampson. He says they were treated so well and had a ball (well actually he gets more graphic but your kids and grandchildren needn't hear the stories!!)Ed turns 80 this next May (2004) and he still plays professionally (2 and 3 X a week with a popular duo in Daytona known as Vested Interest and he leads a 4 pc dance band in Orlando etc known as Shades of Gray) Would anyone have any Mal Hallett pictures from the 44 and 45 shows at Sampson that I could purchase a copy of? I'm throwing Ed a surprise 80th Jazz Jam and presenting him w/a memory book and seek things to add to the book. I'd also like to obtain copies of some of the pix on this site and don't know who to contact to get those. Some of the pix don't come up at all on the entertainment page and there might be something there I can use. I'm not a techie but rebooting didn't help to bring up the pix on that page. Oh well, I was blonde maybe that's it. Anyway, I wish you the best and thank you for giving your best.
Respectfully,
Billie Jo

Replies:
Subject: Andrew O'Loughlin

Author:
Max Waltamath
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:29:56 01/27/04 Tue

My dad, Max Waltamath, is looking for Andrew O'Loughlin with whom he served at Sampson around 1945. Andrew was from Brooklyn, NY. Does anyone have any idea where he may be now?

Subject: Hand-To-Hand Combatives

Author:
Ronnie Gamble
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:55:29 01/26/04 Mon

Hello there all Readers,
My name is Ronnie Gamble. My web site and full profile is at
http://www.stormpages.com/handtohand22/
I am a British ex-service soldier and sailor with a passion for WWII Unarmed/Hand-To-Hand/Combatives. I would like to get in touch with anyone experienced in WWII Combatives to talk about their training and experiences.
If you know of anyone with this type of experience, tell them about me and my web site so we can communicate.
My snail mail address is Ronnie Gamble 25 Lambeth Way, Coleraine, Co.Londonderry, N. Ireland BT51 3 BY

Subject: APA-37 USS CAVALIER

Author:
RALPH N HALL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:35 01/22/04 Thu

USS CAVALIER APA-37 [NAVY]. YEAR 2004 REUNION: BRANSON, MISSOURI. DATES: SEPT. 17-22, 2004. HOTEL: LODGE OF THE OZARKS. INVITEES: NAVY [1946-68], USCG [1944-46], EMBARKED STAFFS; & INTERESTED GUESTS.
WEBPAGE: CAVALIERPA37 --SELECT REPLY #2 OR #3.
NAVY REUNION CONTACTS: 1. ROBERT HANSBERRY, AACRES@CHARTER.NET. PHONE: 435 673-8041. 2. ED KIMBLE, BARBED@TEKNETT.COM. PHONE: 775 751-0213. 3. RALPH HALL, HALL356@FSI.NET. PHONE: 630 879-5909

HAVE TRIED TO REACH "R PADDEN" - MESSAGES ARE NOT DELIVERED.
I CAN SUPPLY PICTURE OF CAVALIER UNLOADING TROOPS AT SAIPAN. WISH TO UPDATE THE CAVALIER REUNION DATES.

THERE ARE TWO CAVALIER REUNION GROUPS: USCG CONTACT: JOHN E GILES, JEGILES@OREGONCOAST.COM. PHONE: 503 965-6732

Subject: Looking for...

Author:
Amy Burns
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:20:14 10/25/02 Fri

I am trying to locate Gil Stancourt who, with my father (Arthur Ilardi), was at Sampson 1943-1944. My father was in F-band as was Mr. Stancourt. If anyone has this information, please reply.

Thank you.

Amy Ilardi-Burns

Replies:
Subject: REQUEST for Information

Author:
CHARLES G. VICK, D.D.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:38:20 01/15/04 Thu

USS PRESIDENT POLK in FEBRUARY 1944 WAS OBJECT of a sneak
SUBMARINE ATTACK by JAPANESE after crossing EQUATOR and
180 degreeMeridian on way to NOUMEA,NEW CALEDONIA with 46th
Replacement BN,1st MARINE AMPHIBIOUS CORPS troops, of which
I was a member. I spotted the periscope wake from the FANTAIL of the USS PRESIDENT POLK and called the SKIPPER,
who in turn communicated with a destroyer to finish off
the submarine after I had broken the periscope eye with a
shot from my M-1. OFFICIAL NAVAL VERIFICATION IS NEEDED!!!!

Replies:
Subject: LCT in WW2

Author:
Jesica Conrad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:31:25 01/09/04 Fri

I'm looking for information on Navy Landing Craft used to land the 41st div on Tawi Tawi, Jolo, Basilan and Mindanao islands during the months of March and April 1945: specifically, LCT 1119, group 95, FLotilla 32. Any information would be greatly apopreciated. Nothing is available from the Navy.

Subject: Sampson Naval Training Center

Author:
Ben P. Fisher, Jr.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:11 01/08/04 Thu

Your site and pictures are terrific. Sure brought back a lot of memories. My uncle Hillard 'Hazy' Hasenkamp went through boot training at Sampson during the war. He was months from being to old to be drafted but they caught him. He died several years ago at age 93. Always said it was so hard keeping up with the kids he trained with. I went to Sampson for Air Force basic training during the Korean War.
I am a member of the Sampson AFB Vets Assn. I was last at Sampson in 1966 and took several slides which I have scanned of the base at that time. If interested I can E-mail them to you.

Subject: Looking for Vets from 133rd Battalion Serving 1943+

Author:
Martha Feldmann
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:24 12/29/03 Mon

Looking for Vets who will be attending the WWII Dedication in D.C. Memorial Day Weekend. We are sending my dad as a Christmas present and thought it'd be great to set up a reunion.

Martha

Subject: Joseph and Gustav Sendner - 1943

Author:
Kathy Mannino
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:34:03 12/26/03 Fri

Hello - I just found my dad's discharge papers that says he was at Sampson from 8/19/43-10/16/43 then he went to Boston. I don't know why. I can't read the rest of the papers. He was an AS?
Any info or leads will be great. I think...he can be in one of the swim team photos. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Subject: address change for David C. Walker Sampson Vet

Author:
David C. Walker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:22:46 12/26/03 Fri

My dad Dave Walker moved and lost all his Sampson Vets info. I am attmepting to help him out by sending this e-mail about his change of address
David C. Walker
3821 Sandstone Court
New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169
386-423-9456
They are interested in attneding a lucheon on January with the Sampson Vets.
If you have any questions e-mail me at tbodenstei@rocketmail.com

Subject: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Author:
RALPH MILLIGAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:34:06 12/20/03 Sat

RUSS,I WANT TO WISH YOU HAPPY HOLIDAYS.ALSO ALL THE VETS
AND THE MEN & WOMEN SERVING NOW,AND THOSE WHO WORKED SO
HARD ON THE SAMPSON MUSIUM. YOU SURE HAVE A GREAT WEBSITE

Subject: Looking for someone who served with or knew Linn Williamson

Author:
JIm Hunt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:59:52 04/09/03 Wed

Linn served on the USS Marathon I (APA-200) in 1945. I am looking for someone who remembers him. I am his Brother-In-Law, and would appreciate anyone who rememberes Linn to please contact me ASAP.
Thank You
Jim Hunt

Replies:
Subject: Sea Scout Pin

Author:
Harry F. Drabik
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:47 12/07/03 Sun

Mr. Padden --- Greetings!!!
Fine with me if you use the pic of the pin. If you need a better one I can try once I receive it. I was interested in this one because of it's color, gold. The one I got some time ago is tarnished silver, and I'm curious what the color change represents, possibly a level of leadership. I was not a Sea Scout because we had not ship anywhere nearby, but I wanted to be one and settled for second best, dry land Scouting.
Best Wishes!!! H, Drabik

Subject: anyone remember Stanley & Ruberta Gorski?

Author:
Beth Ross
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:28:37 11/28/03 Fri

Just wondering if anyone out there might remember my Grandparents, Stanley & Ruberta Gorski. They lived at Sampson for awhile toward the end of the war when they 1st moved to the Ovid,Ny area. I think they moved out before the winter in '46.
Not sure where their housing is located, but Grandma has several pictures & many fond memories of her first home & the neighbors!
Beth

Subject: Submarines at Sampson?

Author:
Jaanet Scott
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:31:23 04/18/03 Fri

Dear Mr.Padden,

Our family were 'cottagers' on Keuka Lake for probably 70 - 80 years, until my generation grew up, scattered far and wide, and the properties were sold.

As a child during the Second War, I often heard the grownups talking about Sampson, and about submarines in Seneca Lake.... and wondered quietly how they could possibly get there. No one could really confirm that there were actually submarines, nor explain much, because it was 'secret'. Now, sixty-odd years later, when the question somehow came up again last night from the depths of memory, that perhaps Google could provide the answer. My search turned up your website, but I found no mention of submarines.

Can you tell me now whether there were indeed subs in Seneca, or how such a rumour, if it was one, might have arisen? Perhaps you can satisfy, once and for all, this long, long childhood curiosity.

Many thanks,

Janet B. Scott
Hadley, MA

Replies:
Subject: MY HERO RUSS PADDEN

Author:
JEANNE L. WAUGAMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:33:43 11/16/03 Sun

PRIOR TO FINDING RUSS PADDEN'S SITE I HAD NO PICTRES OF MY HUSBANDS SHIP APA 159 AND KNEW NO WAY TO CONTACT ANYONE FOR INFO ON THE CREW OR THE SHIP. THANKS RUSS AND AS YOU KNOW THIS IS MY FAVORITE WEB SITE, AND I NOW HAVE MANY PICTURES OF SHIP AND CREW AND HAVE THE PLEASURE OF SENDING AND RECEIVING EMAIL FOR RUSS AND SOME OF HUSBANDS CREW MATES AND CREW MATES FAMILY'S WHAT A PLEASURE AND OH HOW MANY HOURS I CAN NOW FILL RECALLING MANY MEMORIES OF WW11, SUCH PRECIOUS THOUGHT COME TO ME VISITING THIS SITE.
THANKS RUSS AND THANK EACH OF YOU WHO PARTICIPATE.
WITH LOVE
JEANNE WAUGAMAN

Subject: USS ARTHUR MIDDLETON/USS GEORGE CLYMER

Author:
DUNWOODY, CHARLES RAY
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:00 11/04/03 Tue

Looking for any Navy shipmates onboard either vessel from 1944-46. Please respond to e-mail address. Thanks!

Subject: APA 38 CHILTON REUNION OCT 10-11 2003

Author:
Russ Padden
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:00 10/12/03 Sun

I had the honor of attending the Chilton's 2003 reunion in Albany NY this weekend.
They toured the Slater DE 766 and had the chance to swap stories from the past-some of them were even true...
It was a great time for all.
For those of you considering attending your next reunion, take a moment to think about it and then say "yes."
Thanks to Ed and the Chilton Association for inviting me and to Tim Rizzutto of the Slater for the incredible job they have done in turning a floating bucket of rust into a national treasure.

Russ Padden-webmaster

Subject: Photos at Sampson Naval Base

Author:
Gina Anderson-Wage
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:47:59 02/02/03 Sun

My father was stationed at Sampson Naval Base from 6-43 to aprox.9-43 If any one has Photos they can email me duroing this time frame I would greatly appreciate them. My dad was in Co. 121 Barracks I think was 16 or 19. I hope this message gets thru ok this time..I previously made a mistake so be patient with me folks! thanks Gina Anderon

Replies:
Subject: CO.586 --- G UNIT --- APRIL 7, 1945 -- SAMPSON

Author:
Don Morrison
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:55:30 09/05/03 Fri

Looking for ***** BILL MATHEWS *****. We finished boot together on 4/7/45 and planned to meet up again when we returned to OGU. We never did get hooked up before I left for Corps School in Maryland. Bill came to Sampson from the Philadelphia area.Anyone out there know what happened to him? ( In the picture Bill is 2nd row from the bottom and 4th from the left. I'm 2nd row from the top and 2nd from the left.)

Replies:
Subject: APA202

Author:
Dale Rubenstein
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:53:08 09/11/03 Thu

Looking for anyone who might have known my great grandfather Clarence Recker. He was in N division on the USS Menifee. Also looking for the schematics or drawings for a the Menifee or a Victory class ship.

Replies:
Subject: 1945 Saipan Typhoon? 1946 Guam Tsumi?

Author:
Jim Dougherty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:54:34 09/09/03 Tue

Anyone remember above events? Compare notes?

Subject: CO.586 --- G UNIT --- APRIL 7, 1945 -- SAMPSON

Author:
Don Morrison
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:47:07 09/05/03 Fri

Looking for ***** BILL MATHEWS *****. We finished boot together on 4/7/45 and planned to meet up again when we returned to OGU. We never did get hooked up before I left for Corps School in Maryland. Bill came to Sampson from the Philadelphia area.Anyone out there know what happened to him?

Subject: OCTOBER -1944-SAMPSON-G UNIT-BARRACKS 701- RADO SCHOOL

Author:
JOHN LAUDICINA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:30:36 08/29/03 Fri

LOOKING TO CONTACT ,,,,
WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU ARE STILL AROUND??????
THOSE SHIPMATES, WERE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS!!!
I ALSO SERVED WITH LCI GROUP STAFF 46-- ABOARD LCI ( R )1068 LATER TRANSFERRED TO SHIPS COMPANY

Subject: Anthony Eoviero

Author:
Cathy Schenone
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:19:33 08/27/03 Wed

Hi, My dad, Anthony Eoviero trained at Sampson 11-15-1944 for 10 weeks. I beleive he was in Co. 481 Farragat. If anyone has any information or pictures of this company/or my dad, please contact me. He passed away in 1995.

Subject: Lt Commander Lincoln Ramsey

Author:
Ken Johnson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:36 07/21/03 Mon

If anyone knows anything about Lt. CDR. Lincoln Ramsey, I would like to hear from you. He was with the dental core aboard the USS Sanborn. (I accidentally posted this as a reply to another message.)

Subject: APA 193

Author:
Ray Morris
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:10:28 11/28/02 Thu

What an interesting and informative website. Thanks for the work you've done to put it together. My Dad, Lester Morris served aboard the USS Sanborn, APA 193 from the time of her commissioning until the end of WWII. He was part of the beach party on February 19 on Iwo Jima and would love to hear from others with similar experiences. We found your site this morning (Thanksgiving) because of an e-mail you sent to him regarding a Sanborn related item being auctioned. We enjoyed exploring your website before sitting down for our family meal. Thanks for contacting him, and once again for the very interesting website.

Ray Morris
Orange, Texas

Replies:
Subject: Looking for Robert Raaflaub

Author:
Mary Ellen Byrne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:32:54 07/01/03 Tue

I'd like to ask if anyone might know which ship Robert Raaflaub,EM3 was assigned to after his boot term at Sampson. He was my mom's next door neighbor and she tells me that his ship was the very first to suffer a kamikazi attack and no one onboard survived. She's been looking for this info for years and we found his name on the Sampson Museum website on the wall of remembrance but unfortunatly I don't find any other information on him at all. Would anyone know anything about Robert Rafflaub, EM3 and his assignment. It would be greatly appreciated. He and my mom are both from Syracuse, New York. Thanks!

Replies:
Subject: Collection

Author:
Pat Eierman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:47 06/20/03 Fri

My aunt worked at Sampson Base during the war. She had saved newspaper articles, copies of "Sampson News", and a picture of G Regimental Staff - 7 Sept 1945. I would like to send this collection to someone. Is there a meseum or historical society that would welcome this collection? It might be nice to have it to display at the reunion. Any help and guidence would be most appreciated.
Pat Eierman

Replies:
Subject: Company 405 Unit F-3 1944

Author:
Jim Garrity (Joe Garrity's son
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:14:02 06/12/03 Thu

My dad (passed away in 1976) was at Sampson in 1944. Company 405 Unit F-3. Can anyone tell me where Company 405 was deployed after Sampson? I don't know what ship my dad was on, but I know he wrote home from Ilithi and Mog-Mog in the Pacific.
Did anyone know Joe Garrity while at Sampson in 1944?

This is a great site. I will scan the Company 405 photo and e-mail it if you want it.

Replies:
Subject: Seeking Shipmates

Author:
Ted Kaszuba
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:42:07 06/04/03 Wed

Still looking for any shipmates who were in Company 551 in fall of 1943. We were the choir company for "G" unit while we were there. We were a great company and I sure would like to contact some of the guys. I am sure that some of you are still walking and breathing.

Ted Kaszuba

Subject: Grandson interested in Sampson

Author:
Donna Graham
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:22:50 05/26/03 Mon

Mr. Padden: What a great website. My grandson and his family camp @ Sampson State Park. When I was a very young girl, (born in 1942) I lived directly across from Sampson. As I grew and my memory grew also, what a sight to see (by this time Sampson had become the Air Force base)those flying boxcars fly directly over our home. I and my brother would race outside just to get a glimpse of them. I was afraid they would crash into our home because they were flying so low. As I became a teenager I babysat for a couple of which the man had trained at Sampson (Navy) His name is Clarence Raes. He is still alive and lives in Geneva,NY.
Back to my grandson, I was with him at Sampson yesterday, (May 25, 2003), he just turned 16 and wanted to show me the old cemetary near the south end of Sampson. We also went to a building across the gorge from the cemetary that looked like it was used as a power plant or an incinerator. At below ground level it had 2 ovens of some kind. Would you or do you know what this bldg. was used for? It has a large smokestack. My grandson would also like to know where he could look at pictures of the base when the buildings were still there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Being there yesterday brought back fond memories of the "city" across the lake. Donna Graham

Replies:
Subject: Follow up to wondering if anyone remembers my dad?

Author:
Doug Harrison
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:16 05/15/03 Thu

I was wondering if anyone remembers my dad and apparently I forgot him. I failed to list his name and city he was from, sorry. His name and place of residence when he went to Sampson was Donald Harrison and he was from East Syracuse, New York. Thank You again, Doug Harrison

Subject: Wondering if anyone might remember my dad?

Author:
Doug Harrison
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:17:35 05/13/03 Tue

I was wondering if anyone might remember my dad. I'm not sure when he was at Sampson but I think he was in Company 233. He passed away a couple of years ago and he never talked about the war,where he was or what he did. I know after he did his boot at Sampson he was assinged to the USS Philadelphia. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Doug Harrison

Replies:
Subject: A wonderful web site

Author:
Robert Janashak BM3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:41:08 04/01/02 Mon

Russ Padden;
I was in Sampson,July, '45, finished boot in 6 weeks. Train
to Seattle, Wa. Boarded AKA-64, USS Tolland. Spent some time
in Pacfic. Went thru the Panama Canal to Norfolk to my first Destroyer, DD-845, USS Bausell. Special tour to Alaska. Then was transfered to DD-877, USS Perkins. One tour to Eniwetok to see the big one. Then transfered to the
DD-886, USS Orleck. Went to China, up and down the coast.
Stayed in Japan for a awhile. All in all, had a good time,
which was 4 years.
My only regret is, we only new our shipmates by a nickname
or there first name. Never new the last name.
We live on Pine Island, out side of Fort Myers Fl. Was told
about Sampson web site by Rod Outwait who lives around
Sampson and who helped on reconstructing the Naval Station.
I'll quit for now, thanks again on reaching me.

Bob Janashak

Replies:
Subject: Sampson Company Photo

Author:
Harold E. Evans
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:24 05/11/03 Sun

I looked at some of the company photos on your web site. I have one taken of the group I was with at the training center in Sampson, New York. The picture is dated March 29, 1944 but it does not have a company number associated with it. It is partly faded in one corner. However if you could use it on your site I would be happy to sent it to you.
Harry

Subject: LST's

Author:
SPENCER, Douglas H.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:45 05/11/03 Sun

Thanks Russ,
For the work you have done so well, you probably would have earned 1c on your first hitch. THANKS.
Searching for shipmates from LST's 551 - 901 - 902 and 1148. Our nation's wars required all types of ships, but it was the LST's that shortened them all.

Subject: Search for crew etc.

Author:
Paul A Lambert
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:46 04/13/03 Sun

I was a Pharmacist's Mate 3/c aboard the USS Pickens, APA 190 from l944 thru decommissioning in 1946, Newport News, Va. We landed Marines (5th Div) at Iwo Jima and became an auxilliary hospital ship when he last Marind debarked. We took on over 300 casualties and did not lose one life -I'm proud to say. I can only remember one ship clearly - the USS Hinsdale, APA 120, which took a kamikazee hit just aheaad of us. I do not knoe why I was on deck but I was curious as to all the planes circling around. I did not stay on deck long. The Pickens took on the Commadore and rescued others that had abandoned their ship. It is my desire to hear from anyone with any information about a former crew member, casualty or passenger on the Pickens. I too would be remiss if I didn't add my congratulations to Russ for the fantastic tribute he has paid to his father and all the veterans of WWll. You have made many families happy with your web page. Keep up the good work. God Bless and may the wind always be at your back.

Replies:
Subject: Great Website

Author:
Don Gulau momm 3/c
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:24:55 02/21/02 Thu

Really enjoyed what you have done Russ. This also brings back memories. I was aboard the APA-134, the USS Bland from 1944-1946. I was sent home for discharge from China aboard the APA-197, the USS Lubbock. Keep up the good work.

Replies:
Subject: 2 April 1945

Author:
Bill Carney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:26:59 04/10/03 Thu

I am looking for any first hand accounts of the kamikazi attack on TG 51.1 on 2 April 1945. My father, Dan Carney FC2 served aboard the USS Telfair APA 210. He passed away 8 April 2002 and I am researching the event in the hopes of creating a published work. In addition to the fact that I would love to contact anyone who knew Dad, any accounts, photos or documentation would help to make project an honorable tribute to Dad and all who were there.
Please email or call me @ 805-227-7140
With the deepest respect, Bill Carney, Shandon Ca

Replies:
Subject: WW II Links on the Internet

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:00:40 04/16/03 Wed

A massive resource of information About WW II .Check <A rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/ww2_links.html"> WW II Information </A>

Subject: DAD'S Buddies

Author:
Ann Duplantie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:48:39 04/14/03 Mon

Hello everyone!!My father was a Marine private in WWII.He served our country from 1942- 1944. When he was shipped overseas he was in the philipines.His name was Lucien J. Duplantie.He was from Tupper Lake New York. I do remeber one mans name he served with.His name was Louis Carrock from Utica NY. If anyone else remembers my father and can tell me anything you can about him I would appreciate it.

Subject: LST-531

Author:
Jeanette Marcus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:07:26 12/01/02 Sun

I am looking for pictures of LST 531 and/or crew members. My uncle, Emery Marcus Jr, was on board when the ship sank. Any information is appreciated.

Replies:
Subject: Gold Star Mothers

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:47:14 02/14/03 Fri

I remember seeing the Gold Star symbols in house windows , but my fuzzy mind has forgotten exactly why they were displayed. Any help ? . I was on LST's during the Pacific Campaign so you can tell i'm getting up in years.

Replies:
Subject: U.S.S. Biloxi, CL 80

Author:
Eugene (Gene) Border
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:04:29 03/25/03 Tue

I'm looking for the activity of my light cruiser from April
1945 through April 1946. I would like to coorespond with anyone who was serving on the "Double Lucky" in that time frame. I'm looking for dates and places from Wake Island, Leyte Gulf, Buckner Bay, Nagasaki, Hiro Wan and others.

Replies:
Subject: LST Sailors Talk Deck

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:39 04/01/03 Tue

Hello : I would like to invite anyone interested to come to the "LST Sailors Talk Deck" . We discuss things related to LST's in WW II . We have links to pictures , articles , and maps of WW II . We have Ships Logs of the LST 125 posted daily by a crewmans daughter (The Seabat).
I think you will find ud interesting.
we are at http://www.voy.com/131637/
or at <A rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.voy.com/131637/"> Talk Deck </A>

The Old Sea Dog

Subject: Looking for anyone.

Author:
Richard D. Buchheit
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:03:06 02/09/03 Sun

Looking for anyone on the USS Okaloosa APA 219 in Dec of 1945 - until July of 1946

Replies:
Subject: Looking for my father

Author:
Walter C. Young
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:51:46 11/17/02 Sun

I am looking for Walter Bielawski. He would have had to of been at Sampson the end of November or December of 1945 as I was born in August of 1946 any information any one has would greatly be appreciated.He was from the Detroit Michighan area and worked for Ford motor company is about all I know he dated my mother for awhile.
thank you to any one who can give me some information on him

Replies:
Subject: USS Bland APA-134

Author:
Don Gulau
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:14:44 03/21/03 Fri

Am trying to get in touch with Mike Seigner a fellow MOMM in A Div. Served on the Bland from 1944-1945. Last knew he was a detective on the Miwaukee PD. Would appreciate a reply from anyone who knows his where abouts.

Replies:
Subject: USS Bland

Author:
K. Lynch
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:39:39 04/20/02 Sat

My uncle, S/1C Fred Hatton served aboard the USS Bland APA-134 from 1944-1945. I was wondering if anyone remembers him and might have pictures or any information. His younger brother is trying to get some information

Replies:
Subject: Sampson Reunion 2003

Author:
Stephen Bull
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:29:13 12/07/02 Sat

The Sampson WW-2 Navy Veterans reunion will be Sept 9, 10 ,and 11th. 2003,at Sampson State Park. Any one wishing information on reunion or organization contact me at web site, lst848@aol.com Stephen Bull, President

Replies:
Subject: USS Missoula APA 211

Author:
Jenny Ohanesian
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:17:19 03/04/03 Tue

Russ,
I wanted to thank you for a wonderful website, it has been a great resource in my search for information regarding my father Joseph Ohanesian. He was on the USS Missoula APA 211, I believe from 1944-1945. Unfortunately my father passed away over 10 years ago and never spoke to his family about his experience in WWII. It was just too emotional for him. If anyone has any information regarding my dad Joe Ohanesian I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Subject: A site for LST sailors of all ages

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:40:52 02/14/03 Fri

Hello: I found your pages while checking on my own. We are the LST SAILORS TALK DECK and we have a wide open discussion by LST crewmen from WW II to the Viet Nam era. If you are interested we are at
http://www.voy.com/131637/
We have some great talk .

Subject: So many questions

Author:
Lynn Scott
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:19:25 02/13/03 Thu

I would love to find anyone with information about the USS Audrain APA59, my father served during WWII on a PT boat.

Subject: The Greatest Generation

Author:
Ernesto Ochoa, Jr.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:32:42 02/24/02 Sun

Thank you for your great effort in honoring those who served this great nation with their service. My father was a Seaman 1st Class on board the USS Audrain/APA 59. He's 86 now and still gets teary when he recalls "soldiers" loading up on the landing craft and on to the battle. Thanks again for sharing our pride in The Greatest Generation!

Replies:
Subject: Great Gator Web Site

Author:
Ed Mersich
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:41:09 02/11/03 Tue

I finally was able to access your site and it was worth the wait. Thanks for checking out the USS Tulare site, http://www.qadas.com/~epm/tulare , it seems to me there is a lot more interest in naval history than there has been in several years. Thanks for the great naval site, keep up the good work.

Subject: discharged on points

Author:
joe devine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:26 02/11/03 Tue

RUSS
thanks for the information but i belive you also got 10
points if married or had dependents.
thanks again
JOE

Replies:
Subject: Howard F. Fuess at USNTS Sampson

Author:
Barbara Fuess Cianfichi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:04:46 02/04/03 Tue

My father Howard F Fuess from Scranton Pa was at Sampson in January of 1945. Herman Lowery also.
My father is almost 88 years of age.

Subject: APA 223 uss pitt

Author:
John driscoll
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:11:46 02/01/03 Sat

Former shipmates any one wanting to once again your former shipmates from ww2 or after please feel free to answer this e mail
J Driscoll

Replies:
Subject: Photos

Author:
Michael Keevican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:22:08 01/24/03 Fri

James Keevican ...

... my Father, was stationed at Sampson from 1942? - 1945?. He worked in the accounting offices. Sadly he passed away 18 Jul 2002. I have a number of photos of the men an women he worked with and would gladly make copies or send scanned images of these photos to anyone interested.

Best regards,

mike

Replies:
Subject: friends at sampson

Author:
howard sarter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:42:32 01/31/03 Fri

my father was at sampson around 1943. if anybody out there ever heard of him please drop me a line. i was very young when he died and didn't really know him. any info would help. his name was howard sarter

Subject: Looking for Robert O. Corley [Corly?]

Author:
Gilbert Stancourt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:39:21 01/30/03 Thu

Robert was a member of the F band at Sampson N.Y. naval training station when I arrived in July, 1943. He and I played trombone in that band for the next few years. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Subject: great website

Author:
William{BILL}Therrell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:36 01/26/03 Sun

Hi, I served on the USS Telfair APA-210 from 1963-1966 EN-2 A Div. This is a very good web site, I heard that someone is trying to save the uss Gage apa-168, that is tied up in the Reserve Fleet, James River Va.They right now are trying to stir up intrest.The web site is http://www.rpadden.com/168/168links.htm I went to the Apa-210 Reunion in Orlando Fla in Oct 2002, E-Mail me for info.Thanks God Bless Bill

Subject: APA 203 USS Meriweather

Author:
Greg White
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:34 01/05/03 Sun

Hello!!! My name is Greg White, My father was on the USS Meriweather APA 203 During WW 2, I would like to hear from someone who was on this ship, or has had a family member on it, or has some info on it, I know it wa at Suisan Bay in 1969, But thats all I know, Can someone help me out Thanks Greg White

Replies:
Subject: Finding my father

Author:
David Bennett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:30:13 01/01/03 Wed

I'm looking for info on my father who was in Sampson Naval base From 25 NOV 1944 until 16 FEB 1945.Any Info or pix would be a BIG help thank you

Replies:
Subject: Enjoyed this web site

Author:
Ida Carnevale
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:29 12/25/02 Wed

I worked as a civilian in the dry cleaning building from 1942 to 1945. I met my husband there. Left Geneva and moved to Brooklyn NY in 1945.

My daughter showed me this web site and I enjoyed looking at all of the photos. It brought back a lot of good memories.

Subject: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Author:
RALPH MILLIGAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:55:46 12/24/02 Tue

JUST WANT TO WISH YOU HAPPY HOLIDAYS,RUSS,AND I DON'T
THINK I'LL EVER GET THROUGH ALL OF THIS SITE.ITS GREAT.
RALPH

Replies:
Subject: Snow Bird Luncheon

Author:
Stephen Bull
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:15:51 12/21/02 Sat

Sampson WW-2 Navy Vets. yearly Snow Bird Luncheon will be held Wednesday, March 12th. at TRAVIS ELKS LODGE, FL. Any one wishing infomation or tickets contact SAMPSON WW-@ NAVY VETERANS, 2 HAMLIN DRIVE, CANANDAIGUA, NY 14424 0r E-Mail LST848@aol.com

Subject: Looking for LST 492 Info (Gus "Pops" Esto)

Author:
Nick Demilio
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:12 11/19/02 Tue

My grandfather Gus "Pops" Esto was a bosun's mate on the LST 492 in 1944. Gus has been dead since 1969 and I am always looking for information about the 492 to help keep his memory alive. Anyone with any info about the 492 from Evansville to ETO and back home, any companion ships in Halifax convoy SC-154, or any of the 492's group in the ETO please contact me. I have Gus's old economically-worded diary from '44 and I am trying to add detail to the little that he wrote. Eager to hear anything, good, bad, or indifferent. Happy to share all info I have. Thanks.

Nick Demilio

Replies:
Subject: Shipmates of JOSEPH ARTHUR SCHOTOFF (ART), USS MANN

Author:
Patrick A. Patterson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:36 12/11/02 Wed

Looking for shipmates of Art Schotoff, who trained at Sampson early in the war. I believe he was part of the choir. He later servied aboard the USS Mann.

Patrick A. Patterson
Annandale, VA
gpatterson1@cox.net

Subject: lst 848

Author:
Stephen Bull
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:26 12/10/02 Tue

Looking for shipmates on LST 848 in WW-2.

Subject: Looking for my Father

Author:
Water
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:41 11/17/02 Sun

Subject: Charles T Ritzel,Naval Training Center, Sampson NY 5 Apr 1944

Author:
Bob Ritzel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:20:48 11/11/02 Mon

Searching for any info on my dad,Charles T Ritzel, Utica, NY, trained at Sampson Naval Training Center, 1944. Photo I have is aparently of Cmpany he trained with, can not make out company number for sure, possibly 217. Photo is dated 5 Apr 1944.....Any help greatly appericated.
Bob Ritzel, Frost, Texas

Replies:
Subject: My Thanks to Frank

Author:
Harry Allston
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:32:33 11/10/02 Sun

Have a good Veterans Day

Subject: finding out if my grandfather was at sampson for sure or not

Author:
teri jaszcz
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:50 10/15/02 Tue

I'm trying to find out if my granfather was at sampson or not. we were camping there this fall & my dad & uncle thought they remembered their mom visiting him there. they were young & aren't sure. if he was there we'd like to purchase the bricks in his honor. my dad & uncle have nothing from my grandfather except his tags. do you know who i can contact to find out if my granfather was really at sampson or not.
his name was:
EDWARD ANTHONY LADOWSKI
976-29-99
T/6-45A C/USNRR-SV

any information you can offer would help
thank you
Teri Jaszcz

Replies:
Subject: Eniwetok,M.I. and USS Rockbridge APA228

Author:
Albert W Seguin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:08:33 03/02/02 Sat

Yes, I can remember the APA 216 coming into Eniwetok,nd leaving, and returnng. Never knew her name ,but the hull number stands out. My ship the USS Sandalwood AN32 was stationed there, and if anyone aboard needed to see a Doctor, the APA'S doctors were available. I was treated on her or a fungus. So I kind of knew the ship. The last year of my Naval Career, I was aboard the USS Rockbridge APA228. She too,was a Kaiser coffin.Your website is outstanding and ,glad you contacted me, to see it. It is great. Thanks,and keep up the good work. Loved te pic of Sampson.

Replies:
Subject: Finding pictures

Author:
Laura McCombs
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:12 09/27/02 Fri

Dear Russ,
You've done beatiful job on this website. My father was on the LSM-62 and the LSM-290. All I know that his ship the LSM-62 was at Okinawa. I can't find pictures of either ship anywhere. My father has been gone for 10 years, and my oldest son didn't even get to know him. But is very interested in his Grandfather's past, especially when he served in the Navy, WWII. Please, if you could look through your photos and see if you can locate any pictures of these ships it would mean the world to a little boy and of course his mother. We do not have any pictures of his ships, because my step grandmother threw out or burned all of my father's war pictures, medals, and ribons after she married my grandfather.
My father's name is Paul Salley. Your father must be very proud of you website.
Take Care & God Bless,
Laura McCombs

Replies:
Subject: Thanks for the Pictures

Author:
Dan Gallagher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:49:59 09/24/02 Tue

My dad is turning 75 and we are about to have a party for him. I am gathering pictures to capture events in his life. Your pictures of life at Sampson are just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Subject: LST 998-Where are you Sparky?

Author:
Ted Bremer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:03:58 09/14/02 Sat

I was Electrician's mate aboard LST 998, We carried an LCT on our main deck and launched it somewhere in the Pacific. I don't remember the number of the LCT, that was a lot of years ago. My best buddy on the LCT I only know as "Sparky". He was the double duty electrician and
pecker-checker. We became best friends cause he had the keys to the medical supplies on the LST (always a good place to get a drink at sea).
Also, our crew had stolen an upright piano in Norfolk, which was sheltered under a tarp under the LCT stern anchor. Sparky had been an entertainer at Atlantic City, played piano and taught me guitar. We went ashore in Iloilo in the Phillipines and Sparky's piano piano playing got
us an afternoon's free drinks from Mother Gin Sling in the Silver Dollar Cafe. It was just like the old west saloons we have seen on TV's Gunsmoke.
Where is Sparky today?
Any way I can reach him?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ted (Red) Bremer

Subject: LSM 151

Author:
Brian Burkhart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:15:48 09/06/02 Fri

My father was at Sampson towards the end of 1943 and then went to VA for further training. It was from VA that he was assigned to LSM 151. He passed away in 1984 and I never got to find out about his Navy days in the Pacific.

If you know of anyone who came in contact with LSM 151 or its crew, associated with the ship or have photos of Sampson, Ormoc Bay or other actions in the Pacific, please contact me.

I would like to form a reunion of all surviving members of LSM 151 but I am afraid there are only a handful remaining.

Thank you.

Replies:
Subject: Roy L. Barnes

Author:
Daphne (Barnes) Houze
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:13:30 09/07/02 Sat

I am trying to find out more about my uncle's and my father's millitary hisories. I believe Roy was killed in
action. I have a wallet in my father's things, that has a
card with his name and USS Barnett crossed the equator
July 2, 1942. I have also a silver star in with my father's
medals but no paperwork. I want to know if this is his or
his brother's?

Replies:
Subject: Addition to "LSM 151"

Author:
Brian Burkhart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:09 09/06/02 Fri

My father's name is ARNOLD FRANCIS BURKHART. If there is anyone who remembers him at Sampson or elsewhere, do NOT hesitate to contact me. I am researching the family history and the absence of information of my father's time in the Navy leaves a large hole in the family tree. Thanks again.

Subject: To a Friend ..Bill Hamilton

Author:
Karina
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:07 09/05/02 Thu

Hello,

I am trying to locate William (Bill) Hamilton who was at the Sampson Base in 1952. He is from Phoenix , AZ ..went overseas, and came back and re enlisted in the military and was stationed in Alaska. I would like to get in touch with him or his relatives. Any help or info would be appreciated.

Hope you all have a terrific reunion!

Thanks , Karina...Karina3884@aol.com

Subject: SAMPSON MUSEUM

Author:
Ralph Milligan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:39:30 03/04/02 Mon

Hi Russ;
just received your e-mail,about your Web site and its
a great site. i havn't gone through it all yet,but I will.
We have a great Museum up at Sampson,and if anyone wants
to join our organization,they can contact me,at my e-mail
address. I want to thank you for sending me your Web Site.
Ralph Milligan

Replies:
Subject: USS- HARRIS (APA-2)

Author:
Steve Thiac
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:07:42 08/28/02 Wed

Thanks Russ.
My Dad, Edward (Eddie) Thiac served on the ship USS-HARRIS APA-2 in the "S" Division. He's finally made the decision to go to the Reunion! He and my mother got married in S.F. before he departed on the USS Harris's WWII voyage. My Mom passed away this year and we're hoping this Reunion will be a great time for him and his old Navy buddies!

Subject: thanks for your hard work!

Author:
Tom McDonald
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:26:41 08/06/02 Tue

Russ,

My father, Lewis C. McDonald, served on the Neshoba. He passed away last summer. He wrote an account of his time in the service and mentioned the ship, but the details were sketchy. Your site has helped fill in many gaps for me. I know it is a longshot, but if you have any info on my dad at all, please let me know. Thanks for your dedication.

Subject: Correct previous message........

Author:
Harry Allston
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:06:15 08/03/02 Sat

Correct previous message, DE57FOGG should be "DE57@JUNO.COM"

Subject: DE 57

Author:
Harry Allston
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:28:18 08/02/02 Fri

I do not know to whom I am writing. If it is you, Russ, sorry. Was trying to tell the DE message he should contact DE57FOGG@JUNO.COM. Sal Demilla served on the FOGG.
Harry Allston

Replies:
Subject: APA-2 Harris

Author:
Diane Marino
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:24:25 07/21/02 Sun

Great job Russ. My Dad was on the APA-2 Harris in WWII and he is considering going to the reunion in September. Also, in New Orleans the D-Day museum is great however, not too much is on display and told of the great NAVY MEN that enabled all the ground fighting to occur!
Thanks for the website.

Replies:
Subject: Re: The Photos

Author:
SG Wilson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:19 06/10/02 Mon

Could you tell me what the first name of the Miozza in the photos would be? Any additional information on this individual? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. SG Wilson

Subject: USS HARRIS APA-2

Author:
Brian Morris
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:11:21 05/29/02 Wed

I am researching the USS HARRIS APA-2. I had an uncle on her from Nov. 1941 to March 1946, Aldon "Pinky" Morris. She participated in 13 invasions and earned 10 Battle Stars. My uncle talked very little about his experiences other than he loved the Navy and wanted to go back. He never did because of nightmares and bad memories.
I have, since his death, found that he was an assault boat coxswain on the invasions. He was discharged in 1946 as a Chief Boatswain's Mate, he had joined in 1939, after Boot Camp went to USS Pennsylvania BB-38 until Oct. 1941 when transferred to HARRIS. He and 7 other men were the only ones to ride her for the entire war. She covered over 250,000 miles and served in all theaters of operation. Any one who may have know a Boatswain they called "Pinky" on HARRIS, I would like to hear from you. If anyone has info the HARRIS I would like to hear from you also.

Great web site!!!

Subject: 1944 c0264 us naval training station /sampson ny

Author:
janice hamlin [maiden name sferruzza]
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:40:58 05/22/02 Wed

i'm looking for anyone who know my father anthony j sferruzza. he trained there in 1944 his company was co264.my father really didn't talk much about his past trying to get information on him, he died awhile back. i found the picture of the training squad an wanted to know what he was like back then, what his job was on board the ship he served on, soif any one can please help me know more about my father. thankyou.

Replies:
Subject: Great Web Site!

Author:
Suni Haught
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:27:33 05/22/02 Wed

What a tribute to your dad and all the people who served in our Armed Forces. It also says so much about you
and what a beautiful family you come from. Thanks Russ for sharing!
Suni:)

Subject: Neshoba

Author:
Byrne Haskins
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:45:22 04/18/02 Thu

Russ, great site. Just heard about this site from my cousin whose father CL Kirkgard was stationed on the Neshoba. Well, it turns out my Father-in-Law, WE (Mike) Michel was also stationed on the Neshoba but sad to say the two of them never made the connection. It was not mentioned until after my father-in-laws passing that my uncle was told about Mike's being in the navy and stationed aboard the Neshoba. Thats all it took, the stories started they certainly knew how to make the best of trying times. But it saddened me also to think that these two having meet never made the connection that they were once shipmates. Hopefully what you have started here will reunite some of the Neshoba's crew. Great job!

Subject: Great Site

Author:
Chris Kirkegard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:12:05 04/16/02 Tue

Russ, I stumbled on to your site while doing a search ... My Father was on the Neshoba. His name is on your crew list. I called my Father and told him about this site .. Printed many of the pages and will be mailing them to him ... I also asked him to pull out some of his pictures. I will scan in some of them and forward them on to you.

Great Job ... My Father will really enjoy this !!

Replies:
Subject: Amphibs - WWII

Author:
Peter R. Bingley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:01:03 04/07/02 Sun

The outstanding site that you have produced with an obvious objective; a tribute to your Dad as well as to the crews of the Amphib forces, is an undertaking that will be long remembered. You have captured the single spirit of the entire Amphib force sailor.

Jack Sterling's site for the AGC-15, USS Adirondack, adds a singular ship site that, like many similar sites, should be visited for it enhances your tribute to your Dad in your page. If your advice to the younger generation to extract information from parents, grandparents or kin that served, this knowledge of first hand accounts would be a great contribution to posterity. For it would be a history of individuals that no historian or writer could ever capture.

Your site, as well as the many sub-sites for individual ships such as Jack Sterlings' creates an Amphib documentary that could never be replicated in any other form

Our Amphib shipmates should be proud of your creative tribute.

Well done Mr Padden.

Sincerely,

Peter R. Bingley
Yeoman Second Class Petty Officer
AGC-15 - USS Adirondack
1945-1948

Subject: Congratulations: thanks for the notice

Author:
Jack Sterling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:00 04/06/02 Sat

Congratulations from another amphib website: the USS Adirondack AGC-15. Hope this will bring some of our old crewmates, along with others, calling on us.

Jack Sterling QM3c '43/'46

Replies:
Subject: Absolutely Outstanding!

Author:
Tom Farley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:08:53 03/30/02 Sat

Hi, Russ.

You did an excellent job. It's easy to navigate, the layout makes you want to explore into every corner of every page and it's a great tribute to unsung American heroes. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'm going to show it to my father-in-law who was on an LST and a DE in the Pacific. He'll get a real kick out of this. Well done! Tom

Subject: USS BOWIE APA 137

Author:
Joseph H. Leeah
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:48:29 03/18/02 Mon

Thanks Russ, What a job you've done for us old Amphibious sailors.
Thanks for adding the Bowie and my pictures. You have touched a lot of men and brought back a lot of memories. You have worked long and hard on the Frank Padden site and given a good account of the amphibious Navy. It serves also, to keep the memories of World War II alive, so that it never be forgotten.

THANKS AGAIN RUSS
JOE lEEAH MoMM3/c
USS Bowie APA 157

Replies:
Subject: Your website

Author:
Michael G. Shanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:20:07 03/08/02 Fri

Great website!
And a wonderful memorial to your Father's service.
It is good to see that the history and stories of the veterans of WWII is being preserved through websites such yours.

Subject: LCT-1019 (ETO 1944) ** LCT-647 (PTO 1945)

Author:
Harry Allston
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:50:08 03/05/02 Tue

Served on LCT's in WWII. ETO, Anzio, Southern France.
Most LCTs where transported on top of an LST - How to Launch an LCT.

When you want to put an LCT onto an LST, you need a crane. No problem because you are probably
in a shipyard. . . . But, when you want to get it off, you are probably in the Mediterranean
Sea. No cranes for hire. So what do you do?

Whoever had the idea to put an LCT on an LST had it all thought out and gave the LST an
instruction book. I give that unknown genius a great deal of credit.
The LCT is not resting on the deck, but on a series of wooden skids about 10" square and longer
than the beam of the LCT. Both the skids and the LCT are lashed down with cables and turn
buckles. When you want to launch, you flood tanks on one side and pump tanks on the other to
create a list. We did it to starboard. When you have the proper degree of list ( I don't
remember how many degrees), You release all cables except one which has a special hook on it.
( I don't remember the name of the hook, but it is hinged and held closed with a ring.) You
take a sledge hammer to bang off the ring, stand back to avoid the flying cable, and away she
goes! When she hits the water she creates a huge splash between the LCT and the LST.
This serves as a cushion to prevent any damage.

I would like to say that the LCT crew were on board their craft for the launching, but that
would be pushing it. Prior to launching we had a great deal of fun with the LCT skipper
encouraging him to enjoy the ride. After all, we said, a captain goes down with his ship.

The crew was in the water on one of the LCVP' s, ready to board, hoist the ensign, and start
the engines.

===========================================================

An added note. Our LCT (647) was shipped to the Pacific in (3), yes, three sections. When we
arrived in Pearl Harbor the LCT was unloaded by a portable crane. It was ingenious that all
sections floated in a position whereas they matched each other. Though 'tilted' they were in
a position to be assembled. We, the crew assembled the LCT. A material gasket was placed
between the two sections. Very large bolts and nuts were used to bolt the sections together.
Each section was positioned so the first bolt on each outside corner could be inserted. ALL
bolts across the bottom of the hull were placed. Slowly each bolt was tightened and as the
hull started to come together another bolt and nut was placed on each side. This continued
and the two sections were then bolted to the third section in the same manner. We had no
instructions on how this was to be done. If we had known that one of the sections that was
joined, was to be our "fresh water" tank, we might have taken better precautions. We drank,
slightly tainted 'salt water' for the duration.

Harry Allston, (USN, 1944)

Subject: l.s.m ww2 sailor

Author:
alfred v nyegaard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:12:54 03/04/02 Mon

First let me say,[great job]
Entered sampson sept 1943.We did 6 weeks boots. I was
17 and i am 76 now. But in good health and still active.
I was in #E unit, and i remember it all like it was
yesterday.
Served on an L.S.M.[152]for two years, MMOM2nd,
did the pacific scene, Keep up the good work.
THanks agan Alfred [Vinny] Nyegaard

Subject: memories

Author:
Bill Murphy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:48 03/04/02 Mon

Congratulations on a super site.Agreat tribute to you Dad.
I entered Sampson on jan 1945 left July of 45 as a signalman striker.Crossed the pacific on an APA (USS Fillmore)and ended up at Okinawa in the amphibs going to Japan. Keep up the good work.Us old vets and wives love it.

Bill Murphy

Subject: TRAINED AT SAMPSON APRIL 1945

Author:
RAYMOND P.BARRY
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:46:25 03/04/02 Mon

Mar 4,2002
Just received your e-mail about your web site and think it is great.I served on the ARD 19 [A DRY DOCK ]but went overseas to Samar in the philipines aboard the USS BARNETT[APA5] keep up the great work
THANKS AGAIN
RAY BARRY

Subject: Many thanks for a excellant site

Author:
Martin Elliott
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:50:19 03/04/02 Mon

Thanks Russ for the e-mail telling me about you site a excellant job I was not on one of these ships spent my time on a baby flat-top CVE-28 USS Chenango but saw a lot of APA's and they definatly earned everyone respect thanks again for the invite

Subject: Good job Brings back a lot of memories

Author:
Francis R. Murdock
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:35:47 03/04/02 Mon

Served aboard AO 68 probably refueled a lot of theseAPA

Subject: Beach Sailors

Author:
Steve Glover
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:46 03/04/02 Mon

Russ;
Really great job on site, I was in a Mobile Communication Unit, 17, have entered many web sites,
and have yet to hear from former buddies, we also had
army designation 3181st special signal co. USA. We
were at Ie Shima, and at Obascom on Okinawa
Anyone else there?

Steve RM3/c

Subject: Visited Samson Navy base .

Author:
John Clough
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:08:51 03/03/02 Sun

Hi Russ, I don't know how you got my name but it was a delight to hear about the great job that you are doing in rememberance of your Dad. I served on board the minelayer CM12 USS Weehawken during WW 2. I visited Sampson with the Naval Mine Warfare Assn. during our convention last year. Take care and good luck... Jack

Subject: Out standing Job

Author:
Richard C. Tomczak
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:39:12 03/03/02 Sun

Mr. Padden.....While I did not serve on that type of ship,I spent my time at sea on destroyer escorts, as a Torpedoman 3rd class.I still have my original card which was sent to my parents on my arrival at Sampson.Barracks F-25 Co.479. on Feb.27th,1943.We also have a meeting and breakfast with about 20 fellows from Sampson the first Friday of the month.We are all in our seventy's.Like you I also have a lasting memorial in my basement for my Dad, a WW1 veteran.Once again may I add what an outstanding job you have done. GOD BLESS YOU....Hang tough....DICK TM 3RD CLASS

Subject: AMPHIBIOUS REUNION

Author:
JEANNE L. WAUGAMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:58:31 03/03/02 Sun

MY HUSBAND WAS A CARPENTERS MATE 2/C ON THE APA 159 THE USS DARKE, I AM INTERESTED IN THE REUNIONS, PLUS INFO RE AMPHIBIOUS SHIPS. AM SO THRILLED TO LOCATE THIS SITE THANKS TO AN EMAIL FRIEND. I WAS WITH MY HUSBAND IN ASTORIA,OREGON WHERE THE SHIP WAS BUILT AND COMMISIONED. THANKS TO THE CREATOR OF THIS SITE, I AM ONCE AGAIN A YOUNG BRIDE MARRIED TO THE HANDSOMEST GOB IN THE NAVY,LEAST HE WAS TO ME.HE SERVED ON 159 TILL IT RETURNED TO US IN FALL OF 45 AND WAS DISCHARGED FROM SAMPSON, NY NOV. 28,1945
LEARNING THERE IS A MEMORIAL IN NY, IN HONOR OF THESE BRAVE MEN. WOW JEANNE

Subject: Good Work! Dad will love it!

Author:
B. Lind
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:29:08 03/02/02 Sat

My father served aboard the USS Sevier (APA 233)from Nov '45 til discharge in July, '46. The Sevier was part of a convoy that brought the bomb to Bikini Island. He would love to hear from anybody else that was on the Sevier.

Subject: A Job WELL DONE

Author:
Grady Willmon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:34:35 02/21/02 Thu

Thanks a million Russ.A great Website. Brings back a lot of memories, for us Ole APA sailors. I served aboard The USS WAYNE APA-54 for 29 months in the South Pacific. We made 7 invasions, 3 reinforcements and 1 occupation landing, and then into the Magic Carpet. Keep up the good work. Your Dad would be proud of you.

Grady Willmon, down in Mesquite, Texas

Subject: Above and beyond the call of duty

Author:
Glen Ayer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:33:53 02/19/02 Tue

Hey Russ,
You have proved yourself to be the Veterans best buddy!! I have never seen a .better tribute to anyones Dad!!!You have really said it all.
Glen

Subject: Great job

Author:
Craig Padden
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:01:35 02/19/02 Tue

This site just keeps getting better.
Good job Dad, keep it up.

Subject: Web Page

Author:
Grant
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:18:12 02/15/02 Fri

Russ: You have done a class (A) job on the web site,
Congratulation.
Thank You
Grant

Subject: Kudos!

Author:
Brian Dering
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:31:49 02/13/02 Wed

Russ,

You have done a great job here. And you have learned it all VERY quickly. This site is HUGE! I know that this site is a "labor of love" and it shows. Keep up the great work.
..--==Brian==--..

Main index ] [ Archives: 1234[5] ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Messages not related to the website will be deleted and your IP address may be blocked.
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.