VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]
Subject: Construction of the base

Author:
Bill Ladd
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:01:06 03/13/15 Fri
In reply to: John 's message, "Construction of the base" on 16:54:41 06/13/13 Thu

When Sampson Naval base was being built and the telephone system was being installed I recall my father and many of his coworkers were at the base doing the installation, Running lines, setting poles and installing telephones wherever they were needed. It was a very big project! I can't recall what year it was as I was a very small boy. Dad and his coworkers were from Geneva telephone company. I was only about 7 years old when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Dad told about installing the PBX board, I think that was the post exchange telephone system the operators used to transfer calls around the base and also outside to public lines. Dad was the main trouble shooter in the Geneva office. He worked nights alone at the office. The telephone system was all mechanical at that time. Someone had to be there 24/7 to make sure that all switches were in operating condition. Dad said that ALL CALLS to the western part of the New York went through the Geneva Office. I think he said it was the only TRUNK line cable between eastern and western New York at that time (1930's and 1940's)

From our house, about two miles west of Seneca Lake, we could see the lights of Sampson on a clear night. I recall all of the sailors on weekend pass visiting the "Canteen" on Pultney street.

Bill Ladd
aka
Bummy

869 Broughton Road
Westfield, Pennsylvania

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.