VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]456789 ]
Subject: Departments in a mess: Bonga

Author:
Sync
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 11:40:24am

The Office of the Rural Development was one of the Departments found is gross mismanagement and it was previously headed by the current member for Lagaim - Porgera Mr P. Kikala. If the MP knows this messes, I hope he doesn't something about it as a Vice-Minister for that Department.

Departments in a mess: Bonga

TWO departments responsible for services delivery are in a total mess and that has resulted in the lack of services over the years.
Chairman of Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Timothy Bonga said the two departments responsible for managing and developing the country were in total disarray.
Mr Bonga said: “The Depart-ment of National Planning and Monitoring and the Office of Rural Development have profound problems in management, accountability, systems, transparency, competence, staffing, and exhibit little ability to perform their functions.”
He said these two agencies were incapable of competency and lawfully managing their own budget.
These two agencies were “unable to manage, implement, control, co-ordinate, oversee, monitor, account for, audit, apply public monies in the form of development budgets, programs or projects to any acceptable standard of competence”.
The PAC said the inability compounded by poor morale, corruption and almost total loss of command and control by management had been largely responsible for poor or non existent delivery of services and development to the remote areas and was responsible for failure to manage or co-ordinate the implementation of development programs.
“The situation is so bad that the committee could not ascertain whether hundreds of contracts funded under development programs or grants over many years have begun, are proceeding, have stopped, been terminated, been reallocated, been lawfully tendered or allocated, been completed or even exist in fact.’’
The committee also found that 70 per cent of annual development budgets had been under spent.
While these are some of the findings in these agencies, it recommended that Parliament give immediate and urgent attention to removing all powers over implementation, planning and co-ordination of development budgets and service delivery from the Department of National Planning and Monitoring and Office of Rural Development.
Mr Bonga read, “We have found a public service in appalling disarray and which has discarded any pretence of honest, competent and accountable management of public monies and properties and because it has chosen to defy the law and (is) not accountable.”
Mr Bonga said the department and the office were responsible for managing huge sums of public money and planning, managing, overseeing and accounting for development projects.
l Sack heads of depts: Bonga – Page 13.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Departments in a mess: Bonga

Author:
Wano
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 01:43:39pm

Not very impressive for someone with enviable academic records....what a shame?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Listen..

Author:
Ulutainge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 02:25:17pm

Listen Asshole,

In case you forgot, the Department was in charge of by Kambori in past 5 years. Did you stop to thing that maybe he was the one who discovered this crisismanagement going on in the dept. Passim hul bilon yu na toktok stret.. Yup sumatin o?

Sori ol lain. I'm sic and tird of small bois talking about 1 MP when these idiots in Aussie and PNG unis have nothing good to contribute to..

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Listen..

Author:
Ulutainge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 02:57:49pm

Another mistak by the newspaper yur little head has fallen for. Again, I tink PK is vice-minister of the dept. NOT director of ORD.

Don't be pinhead like your brather Enga Arsebuttsman and get your facts stret..

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Listen..

Author:
Sync
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 03:40:00pm

Ulutainge,

I don't think it's necessary to swear in this forum, you should assess the situation and give some constructive criticism if you have anything to say.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Listen..

Author:
Ulutainge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 04:02:48pm

Small boy Sync

What construct critics have yu put in here! Pasim hul blong you tuu!!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Listen..

Author:
Sync
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 04:20:58pm

My point in puting up the topic was to show how disgraceful the Lagaip MP was when he was the head of this DRD and running under this corrupt circumstances. I hope he will fix this up when he is a MP and vice minister for DRD.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Here we go again!

Author:
KLagaipT3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 10:32:02pm

Sync

Are you implying that the current mess within the department is a result of PK's oversight? May I remind you that the MP has been absent from the department effective as of September 2002 and has only returned in the August of this year (2007). I find your "disgraceful" connotation distasteful as it deserves to be attached to the incumbent Secretary of 5 years, Mr. Valentine Kambori. I would be careful in labeling Engan leaders if I were you..

Peace!

KLagaipT3

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Here we go again!

Author:
Sync
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Dec 04 2007, 07:04:24pm

When people say corruption has been systemic and systematic, it means corruption has evolved through time and has become chronic to the people who have been involved with. I don't think corruption in these depts evolved in the last 5 years, however, if PK has have had hinted these corrupt practices during his time, it would be obvious for people to note his changes but to me it sounds like he was part and partial of it.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Aren't you "Corrupt"?

Author:
KLagaipT3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Dec 04 2007, 08:42:10pm

Since Sir Mekere spoke those famous words ("systematic and systemic") over a year ago, it has become an almost unanimous view of the public's perception of bureaucratic management (top, middle, bottom)-"corrupt". And boy have we take it for granted! I am sure your adopted words, though generalized and undeserved, apply to those ethical and hardworking officials within the bureaucracy. Those individuals who sweat the full working hours and take their families to church on Sundays. Corruption unfortunately has been an ongoing practice post-1975 and even since Eve was decieved by the devil into taking that apple at the Gardent of Eden. Should not the word be applied categorically to define the characters of successive department heads, politicians, and officials within the bureaucracy? Or to you and I?

Because I must remind you (and other forumers out there) that the word does not only define the actual "action", though wrongful and unethical it may be, but it also defines our tolerance and condonement of alleged crime and unethical practices at a personal level. Corruption has existed since the dawn of time. Ironically, here is another simplified definition of the word "corruption" for your education which labells ALL actors within the bureaucracy and society as "corrupt".

"THE FAILURE TO DO THE RIGHT THING WHEN WARRANTED".

Boy aren't we all "corrupt" in our own silly, little ways!! And in all due honesty, what potential is there for you or I to be better than our predecessors?! Nevertheless, at society's upper echelons of bureaucracy and politics, the least we can do right now is to rectify the situation through the empowerment of institutional "watchdogs" and support of experienced politicians who are willing revamp a defunct system which is liable to transform for the worst within a period of 5 years. [Hey! This is PNG where anything can happen to suit the incumbent secretary or department head's whims.] But secretaries come and go and so do politicians, but what about the career public servant within the department? Should not they shoulder some of the blame?

Besides your lack of evidence and capacity to hold an allegation in a court of law, you should at least give credit to Vice-Minister PK for his current efforts to restore accountability and competency in the department's handling of billions of kina. [In a democratic or "guided" democrate state of governance, corruption will continue long after you and I are gone, my friend.]

KLagaipT3

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Aren't you "Corrupt"?

Author:
KLagaipT3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Dec 04 2007, 08:57:09pm

"Corruption is endemic in society".

KLagaipT3

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Aren't you "Corrupt"?

Author:
Sync
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Dec 05 2007, 09:45:54am

KLagaipT3,

I agree with you that corruption has embedded and interwoven into society from Adam and Eve days, however, the PNG government departments/statutory bodies have notably and immensely indulge into this evil practice for a long time, more so after 1975.
I also agree that the MPs and bureaucratic heads come and go at political will and most importantly the public servants have been infected with this chronic disease for a long time.
Therefore, as the vice minister I wish and hope that PK would expose and change to his ability and current capacity.

I wish him all the best.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Aren't you "Corrupt"?

Author:
KLagaipT3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Dec 05 2007, 10:39:01am

Kaim, Sync

Let me try something through Vice-Minister PK. Let's try to achieve something. Give me some time.... My mouth's dry right now....

KLagaipT3

[> [> Subject: Re: Departments in a mess: Bonga

Author:
Wano
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 02:35:07pm

I thought Valentine Kambori was and is still the head of DNP and PKK was head of DRD. The report by PAC condemns both depts.

Hope you don't condone inefficiency...

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Departments in a mess: Bonga

Author:
Ulutainge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 02:58:53pm

Another mistak by the newspaper yur little head has fallen for. Again, I tink PK is vice-minister of the dept. NOT director of ORD.

Don't be pinhead like your brather Enga Arsebuttsman and get your facts stret..

Author:
baa ongome pia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 04:09:44pm

yaps!! people are trying to hide behind the so called haus tamabaran pawa.....hope these people (govt agencies' heads) are named in the media. that would do the damn trick to castrate and scrutinise and monitor every moves. sore ya PK! cleanup and come clear on your past management issues!!!!

Author:
Paeo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 06:11:07pm

Guys,

What's all these fuss about? The member for Lagaip Porgera was in no way mentioned as the cause of all the mess at National Planning. Sure he was Secetary for National Planning 6 years ago, now how can you blame the MP for all the current mess in the department. Valentine Kambori is the current department head. He is the one that has been implicated here. Mr Kambori's head should roll for all the mess, that's pretty obvious.

People, let's get behind the MP for once and support the initiatives that he has come up with. If you are one of those skilled people from the district and you are able to help out towards the development of our district, pls raise your hands and volunter your services. Lets look at what we can do for our district and province, not what we can get out of it's coffers. Let's not become like everyone else who is looking for a quick way to make some bucks from the government by proper or improper means, so long as the end justifies the means.

The member even hasn't sat down for his first district budget priorities committee meeting so why are we coming up with all these unfounded accusations. Let us all be constructive individuals from the area and see if anything good can be implemented over the 5 year period that PK has to run Lagaip Porgera.

[> Subject: What is going on in here?!

Author:
KLagaipT3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Dec 03 2007, 10:13:35pm

Thanks for clarifying some matters, Paeo!

I cannot believe how uninformed and quick-to assume we Engans are. PK was Secretary over 5 years ago and many unethical practices and restructures have been entertained since then. Foul play through kickbacks, blackmail, maladministration and outright misappropriation has become a norm within the department has discovered by experienced bureaucrats-come politicians in the likes of PK. It is not surprising that he (being a member of the PAC) is one of the key proponents who has sounded the alarm. For goodness sake, give him some time to clear up the mess and perform! Otherwise, if you have any suggestions on how to do his job, please offer them to us. I would be more than happy to hear!

[And for your information, Mr. Valentine Kambori (a Sepik) has been Secretary since the removal of PK in 2002 and Paul Sai (a Papuan) is the current Director of the Office of Rural Development since PK's promotion to Secretary in 2000. The perks/privileges and termination/appointments of department heads has remained a political prerogative since 1975.]

KLagaipT3

Author:
Engan Lenge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Dec 04 2007, 09:19:41pm

I like the way MP Bonga is handling the Public Accounts Committee, hopefully to control corruption to an extent in PNG.
With regard to DNPM and ORD, he was quite clear on his recommendation to sack the current departmental heads. It is up to the departmental heads to bow out or defend himselves. Why are we, Kaims accusing ourselves. Personally, I hate to see Engans pointing fingers and being conclusive. Moreover, I like to think we are digging personal grudges against the MP. Wait for 5 years, if you don't want to support the MP to develop his electorate.

Kaims, we need to stop these unprofessional attitude, thinking every semi educated engans will become a MP. Only true educated minds are the humblest and they usual work together, and it is about time we come in and support our MPs. I have said this in this forum several times and I say it again that 'Time may not come for us to fullfill our dreams (vision)'. Some learnt minds do say; 'Tomorrow (the future) is actually Today'.

[> Subject: Corruption exposed at Planning office

Author:
SB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Jan 12 2008, 10:57:14am

People, I suppose you read about the corrupt practices going on at the Planning office where 53 million kina was siphoned out through malicious means with total disregard for court orders or ministrial directives. Like the say corruption is killing PNG and will be buried soon. These acts are by the so called public servants in the departments. The MPs go through so much scrutinity and the paper pushers working in the department are let loose to have a field day. I just hope corrupt public servants are sent directly to Bomana to rot in there with their stolen money.

[> [> Subject: Re: Corruption exposed at Planning office

Author:
strit mangi - tokaut na tokstret
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2008, 03:49:17pm

yes yeah, SB, mi wanbel lo laspla hap tok blo yu. Salim ol go lo bikpla hausman lo bomana. eh eh eh....ol bikpla boi lo hausman save lo wokim wanem lo welkamim ol....pispis sop wara em ol ya....heheheheheh!!! they are fat fatter (A1+) murderers and millinium criminals then the petty criminals shot dead in the name of "police shoot-out". F***** da bastards!!!!!!!

tokout na tokstret

strit mangi

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT+10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.