|Subject: Re: Sings of a Dying Rich Engan Culture
|[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Date Posted: Mon, May 14 2007, 11:32:44am
In reply to:
's message, "Sings of a Dying Rich Engan Culture" on Fri, Jan 12 2007, 09:51:02am
Thanks for your comments, East to West and pngean. Just over the weekend i was at this pub in Port Moresby having afew beers to relax after a hard days work. From across the bar, i was facing the door and could see everything that was moving in and out of the bar.
I must have had a few classes of rum, when i saw two beautiful ladies walked in, both had long braided artifical hair and had full lip-sticks, plucked eyebrows, high heels and tight jeans, and a short t-shirt that revealed their belly buttons. Man, their entrance made everyone in the room turned their eyes. They outshown all the ladies in the room. From a distance, i would have fallen for one of them, however, when they walked a bit closer, i realised that, they both were gays. I was kind of laughing inside. This made me think about what is happening in Papua New Guinea.
The western influence is getting hold of Papua New Guinea. Latest fashions and socials ill from western societies catch PNG so quicklty like wild fire. The same things that are happening in the western or Asian world is happening in PNG. How so quickly we are being deceived by the so called western culture. In actual fact, PNG has rich cultures which add value to life. PNG cultures are unique, setting the pace for a human person to grow mature and fend for him/herself given the right timing. I for one believe in my culture and try to make sure i do most of the things that an Engan is to do, upholding the Engan culture and tradition.
Engan culture is unique and it has its own benefits. I can mix the Engan culture with the western culture to make a living in this lovely country of ours.
People who have walked away from their culture and try to adopt the western culture, they find themselves confused with ideologies which dont have any roots in their life.
I hope many Engan and other Papua New Guineans see the great benefits culture can bring into our lifes.
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
[> Subject: Re: Sings of a Dying Rich Engan Culture
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: Mon, May 14 2007, 03:48:50pm
Agreed. The unique culture is disappearing.
The Engan language itself however will never disappear quickly. Other aspects of culture are on drift and life support.
There are many causes to this.
1. Urban drift and migration - People pack up only the clothes and money to dash off leaving all traditional gear behind.
2. Lack of higher learning institutions in the province - This is causing a lot of young men and women to spend most of their lives outside the province.
3. Widespread and regular trouble fighting in the province.
This leads to annual singings and sangai ceremonies put off the calendar altogether.
4. Pure laziness. Buai, lamp flaps, card games and idleness have made inroads and taken many captive.
5. Family separation - The grandpa's and grandma's are in the village while the busy mum and dad raise the kids in towns and cities. The kids don't have the luxury of listening to tales and legends. TV has replaced that.
Steps that can be taken to arrest the decline.
1. Stop the fucking trouble fight at home, fix the main roads and feeder roads and make airfares affordable. Create some full factors at home.
2. Make Sangai and singsing an important part of the school calendar.
3. Enga needs to educate some of its people to become sociologists, linguistics and historians. The good culture and traditions needs to be documented and preserved through art, music, TV and other forms of media
4. Apart from the Annual Enga Cultural Show, there needs to be a cultural shows organised at each district level.
5. Develop culture oriented tourism facilties all over the province
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Forum timezone: GMT+10|
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.