VoyForums

Sun, September 14 2014, 19:01:34 PDTVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

Water Well Helpline Message Board
WATER WELL HELPLINE MESSAGE BOARD
Return to Home Page

Subject: Bacteria in the well water

Author:
Sue Cashen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:43:39 09/07/14 Sun
(NoHost/50.54.34.195)

We have a 265 ft deep well. It is cased to 30 ft. It is over 25 yrs old. Last summer we had a new pump installed. Because I run a home business I must test the water each year. Last year it took 2 tests to pass. This year it has failed 3 times. The coliform has gone from 153 to 200 to 19.
Before each test, we did the bleaching. Before the 3rd test we had it professionally done.
Any suggestions?
If you need more information please ask.
It is critical I pass so I can keep running my home business.
I live in eastern Ohio. By the way, the gas & oil companies are fracking a half mile on each side of me. I've been assured this is not a factor in affecting private wells, but one wonders.
Thank you so much for your attention.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Loud thud/slapping noise after well pressure tank cut off

Author:
willinnj
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:10 09/11/14 Thu
(ool-addcb366.static.optonline.net/173.220.179.102)

I just moved into my new place and there is a weird noise within seconds after my pressure tank reaches its cut out point at 60 PSI.

It cuts in very quietly with a click.However, at the cut out point, I hear the click of the pressure switch and then a loud thud or slapping sound.

Does anyone has any ideas why and if this is an issue that will cause bigger problems in the futuer? Do I need to get a well contractor to come in?

This is a video of the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4bAK9InTA&feature=youtu.be

Water Storage tank: WELL RITE TANK WR140R
Well Pump: STA RITE 3/4 HP Signature 2000 4" Submersible pump

Thanks!

Subject: Deep Water Well Question

Author:
Owen Nourse (confused Owen)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:09:38 09/01/14 Mon
(fl-67-235-154-234.dhcp.embarqhsd.net/67.235.154.234)

hi i was wondering when you are digging a deep well how far past the lime rock should you go??

Subject: Well obstructions.

Author:
K. McManus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:49 08/11/14 Mon
(NoHost/162.72.195.217)

A 7'x 2" galvanized pipe, a 1' x 1" spear, and a 1 1/4" window weight are stuck 62' down my water well shaft (5 1/2" ID) and all sitting on top of a root ball. We have tried various methods to get the stuff up or down, to no avail. Professionals tried, to no avail. I HAVE to get it cleared! We have to do it by hand and I need ideas. Can you help?

Replies:
Subject: drilling deepert well inside of 6" casing

Author:
tim young
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:12:23 08/01/14 Fri
(75-106-25-35.cust.wildblue.net/75.106.25.35)

I have a 125' water well in southern Ca my static water level is dropping and and soon I will have to drill a new well. I want to have my existing well drilled deeper. Because it is the best location on my property for a well for a number of reasons. First of all can it be done, and secondly how do I go about finding a well driller to drill a smaller diameter well inside of my 6" casing. Most drillers tell me they won"t do it, but I have talked to a retired driller that said it can be done

Replies:
Subject: well set up help

Author:
Roger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:44:11 07/28/14 Mon
(76-204-57-191.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net/76.204.57.191)

Hello I am first timer I live in Connecticut and in the process of setting up a new well for watering my lawn and garden. I have a bunch of questions and looking for help. I have sandy soil and dug down 12 feet with a hand auger and hit water. I can't go deeper every time I get down farther the sandy mud fills back in to the same level 12 feet.
So here goes:
Should I sleeve the hole with large pvc pipe down to the 12' depth?
How high should I leave the sleeve above ground to prevent ground water contamination?
What size pipe do I use 1 1/4 or 2" ? (my pump inlet is 2")
Should I use a steel or pvc sand point? with steel or pvc piping up to my jet pump? (I picked up a goulds jet pump from a friend)
Is sch 40 pvc strong enough will it hold up to being driven down (I'm thinking not) and will it freeze and crack in the winter?
How much deeper should I sink the sand point?
How far up the pipe should I put a check valve?
Do I need a tank in the setup?
What types of holding tanks or barrels can be used and do they need to be pressurized?
Should I use a hand pump for the initial pump priming to prevent damage to my pump or not?
Is there a diagram available out there somewhere to show a setup and steps to follow?
Thanks Hope to hear from you soon.
Roger

Subject: Shallow Well: Can a leaking Check Valve lose prime?

Author:
John M
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:56:32 07/15/14 Tue
(pool-72-74-198-153.bstnma.east.verizon.net/72.74.198.153)

I have a shallow well with a sandpoint so no foot valve is involved used for outside water only. My check valve is located about 2 feet from the pump inlet and has always held water even in the off season. The pump/tank combo has been performing well for several years but now after about 12 hours two things happen. The tank loses all water and the well loses prime. I have a strainer with a clear bowl so I can see the water has run out of the well pipe. I disconnected and reattached all piping but it doesn't help and while disconnected, water slowly dripped out of the pipe with the check valve confirming the leak.
Can the leaking check valve allow water to drip back down into the well and break up the vacuum that holds the water in place?
Thanks in Advance!

Replies:
Subject: Abandoned Dug Well

Author:
Jerry Kaidor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:51:24 07/01/14 Tue
(69-12-159-147.dsl.static.sonic.net/69.12.159.147)

Hello,

A few years ago, I bought a house. There was a jungle next to it. Took me over a year to clear the jungle, which resolved into: A plum orchard with at least 20 trees, an area of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, a stand of quince trees, a bitter almond tree, and a dug well.

The well was hiding in a thicket of weeds, and had a ramshackle shack on top of it. I cleared the weeds and demolished the shack. The County made a big fuss about it - where did this come from? Why don't we have any record of it? It has to be destroyed! I took responsibility for it, and got them to issue me a well permit. The county well guy said it might date from the 19th century.

The well is 40 feet deep, and the water level is 13 feet under the ground.

I plan to restore the well and use it for irrigation. I am making a substantial cover for it out of 1/8" steel, with support beams made of steel "C" section that is three inches long by 3/8" thick. Heavy stuff. They had a pile of it 1/2 off at the steel store. When this cover is done, it will weigh something like 300 pounds. I didn't trust the original brickwork to support it, so I poured a substantial foundation around it, with rebar and J-bolts.

The cover will have two circular ports: one for the pump, and a second for inspecting and taking samples. I figure
4 inches is about right for the pump port, although I haven't figured the details on that yet. Maybe six or eight inches for the inspection port. When the cover is done, I plan to paint it with an epoxy paint which is approved for contact with potable water.

The foundation is wider than it needs to be, to support
the actual cover. Remaining width will support a brick facade and a pair of posts to support a little roof for that
"wishing well" look.

I plan to drop a solar well pump down there, and mount a solar panel nearby. Without batteries, the system will only be able to pump during the day. But we're using drip irrigation, so it shouldn't matter.

There is an old construction site nearby with a long length of discarded 4" black ABS pipe. I'm thinking getting that to hang the pump inside it. The actual output of the pump would of course feed a PVC pipe inside - the
ABS stuff would just give the pump a place to hang so it wouldn't flail all around the bottom of the well.

- Jerry Kaidor

Replies:
Subject: iron well casing broken off at ground level

Author:
Bunky
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:33:36 06/24/14 Tue
(cache-dtc-ae09.proxy.aol.com/205.188.117.13)

Hello. I have a 6" well casing that is broken off at ground level. It's either steel or cast iron. Can this be repaired? Is it something I could do myself? I live in Maryland. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies:
Subject: Windmill

Author:
Bill (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:06:04 05/20/14 Tue
(hou-ext-vrrp.conocophillips.com/138.32.80.20)

I have an old windmill on my property and there are no records for the well. I have asked a company to check if it has water and they tell me it will $400 to pull the casing and check it for water, does that seem right and do you need to pull the casing? I am thinking of installing a solar pump if the well has water and he quoted me $3500 which from what I find seems extremely high from what I find on the net. Does any of this seem correct or should I run from this company?

Replies:
Subject: How to reactivate an old well

Author:
Charlene
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:48 06/18/14 Wed
(NoHost/65.244.154.182)

I have zero knowledge of wells and would appreciate any advice. I live in Lincoln County NC and bought a new house a couple years ago. There is an old well on the property and a new well (no idea why the new well was dug) that supplies the water to the house. The old well has an old pump but no tank. We applied power and primed the old pump (jet pump) and got it pumping water. My question is what do we have to do in order to set this well up to use for watering my plants and animals? Is a tank required and pressure switch or can you just use an on/off switch with the pump connected to a hose bib to run hoses off of it? I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Replies:
Subject: New well in Conyers, GA (Walton County)

Author:
Paul McInnis (Determined)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:11:40 04/30/14 Wed
(c-98-242-79-33.hsd1.ga.comcast.net/98.242.79.33)

I want to install a driven well on my property. I have read the information on this website and I went to the county to obtain more information. The guy at the county told me they do not have that type of information and referred me to a well drilling outfit. The drilling company is not really interested in giving me information to help me install a driven well. They want me to pay them to drill a well. How can I figure out how deep the water table is on my property and if I have any geologic obstruction? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul McInnis

Replies:
Subject: well pipe popped up 4 inches and broke the attached pipe

Author:
Bill McGee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:21:34 04/06/14 Sun
(adsl-98-85-130-244.mco.bellsouth.net/98.85.130.244)

Our well has a submersable pump and this well is about 7 years old. It just quit and on investigation the pipe with the pump has popped up about 4 inches and the attached pipe has broken.. Strange really strange. We only use this well for irrigation as we are also on city water.
The only thing around here different is they have completely drained a lake that is about a block away. Any Ideas on what could have happened??
I have called a well guy but have yet to connect with one.

Subject: blowing sand point

Author:
terrencemeans
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:08 03/30/14 Sun
(50-55-29-144.waus.wi.frontiernet.net/50.55.29.144)

had a new point put in about a 4 years ago. replaced pump and pressure tank bout 1 year ago. problem is I don't seem to be sucking enough water to keep up demand. have a shallow well bout 25 feet sand point 1 hp pump. had a well tech out bout 1 year ago said we had plenty of water in well. I figure point plugged and like to know how to blow it out.

Subject: Serious Well Issues

Author:
Natosha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:56:02 03/20/14 Thu
(NoHost/184.20.26.244)

We moved into our house a year ago. Right before we moved in, a chlorinater had to be placed on our system for it to pads inspection. We have 2 softners too. Since we have moved in we have put in a new pump, tank and set of points. We go in and out of well issues. Currently we have issues with low pressure (always been an issue), and the points won't catch. They are fine and then when I go to shower, do laundry, etc. My water will totally go away. Go outside, flip the points, water will be back for only a short time, till I have to do it again. Then they get stuck sometimes and run and run so I have to shut it off. Let me also add that our chlorinater went 2 months recently without being refilled by us, during this time our water was never iron colored or anything and we had no points issues. We refilled the tank last week and since then we have occasional iron colored water and now this issue with the points. Why do we have so many issues? Could the chlorinater be causing any issies, like maybe the pump to lose its prime? The chlorinater feeds into the main pipe right smack before the points. Any other ideas about pressure or anything???? We have no clue and it is so frustrating. Thanks!

Replies:
Subject: Distance of well installation from neighbors well? Feet

Author:
Bob Palombo (Worried)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:52 12/17/13 Tue
(user-24-96-124-19.knology.net/24.96.124.19)

Neighbor is installing well, close to my well, is there a required distance from mine? The well workers say no requirements. This I find is an inappropriate response. Should there be requirements due to sink holes etc. that could happen. Please advise. These wells are for watering lawns only. Thank you for your time. Pinellas county in florida is impossible to get any info via phone.

Replies:
Subject: RE: Well testing required by new people buying our home

Author:
G Swingle (Swingle)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:42:00 02/22/14 Sat
(host671420022165.direcway.com/67.142.165.22)

We have a contract on our home. The new people are requiring a well test done. The well compnay they have coming to test the well is requiring we run our water for 2 hours prior to testing it. Why do you have to run the water for so long?

Replies:
Subject: Dropped Pipe

Author:
Uriah Supplee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:30 02/17/14 Mon
(23-126-170-118.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net/23.126.170.118)

The 1" PVC pipe that the water comes out of, located inside
what appears to be a 4" PVC casing has dropped down the well. Is there any way to get it back up? please help.
This is our only source of water and I can't really
afford to call a well service person.
Thank you
uriahs@att.net

Replies:
Subject: How do I remove dirt and silt from drilled well

Author:
Alex Sanfilippo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:59:53 12/27/13 Fri
(static-96-235-42-48.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net/96.235.42.48)

How would I remove dirt and silt from bottom of well. It was left open for years with dirt and debris falling in it. I would like to clean it out and lower the pump.

Replies:
Subject: No water

Author:
Jerry (puzzled)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:28:07 02/03/14 Mon
(vpn.metc.state.mn.us/156.98.123.252)

I have a 23'-0" sand point well that I am unable to get to pump water, I've replace all of my above ground components, including the pump, check valve, and have my pressure tank taken out, I've primed my motor case and nothing, I am suspecting that I'll need to pull the point to check if its plugged, or possible there is a foot valve near the point that is plug.
The well has worked fine for years.. until it sat dormant for 12 months.

Subject: well water system

Author:
Jeanne Long (help!!!!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:55 02/02/14 Sun
(rrcs-208-105-171-144.nys.biz.rr.com/208.105.171.144)

I have a shallow well pump system. I have replaced everything new from the foot valve,new pipes,elbows,holding tank and pump. The depth I am lifting from the well is 15'. from the well to the pump is approx. 30'. Have tested pump by pumping water directly from the well. Cannot get water to pump from the well. What could be wrong???

Subject: chlorine in well

Author:
jerry thomas (frustrated)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:59:12 12/09/12 Sun
(c-68-41-134-195.hsd1.mi.comcast.net/68.41.134.195)

I am selling a house that uses a well. The evaluation report for the buyer said the water had bacteria. I decided to chlorinate it.

I put several pints of chlorine in the well, but never could smell it at the faucet. So I decided to go with the crystals used to shock a pool. I put 8 ounces of those in (46 percent sodium hypoclorite.) Clearly, this was a mistake. I heard advice about how hard it is to get rid of bacteria. I know it has some rust bacteria that causes odor, which requires higher concentrations of chlorine. But I went way overboard.

Long story short, I have flushed the system for about 6 hours (running the hose, tub, faucets). I got the level down to 5 ppm, which is ok for a pool, but still too high. I think the max for consumption is 4ppm. Then the water started running cloudy, I saw sand, the flow cut in half, and the chlorine level dropped to less than 1ppm.

I thought I ran the basin out and flushed the system. Then today the level is back up to over 10 ppm (the highest level on the strip is light blue for 10, and I'm getting dark purple). But I don't smell it any more. The flow was dropping, so I decided to just stop.

Is there a way to get this excess out of the system? Is it harming the system to run it with cloudy water? Any help is appreciated. Does it leave over time. Should I just let the water level build and dilute it? Thanks

Replies:
Subject: pvc from well

Author:
Dwayne Keith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:43 01/08/14 Wed
(rrcs-97-76-62-106.se.biz.rr.com/97.76.62.106)

I'm a Floridian who recently purchased a cabin in N. GA with shared well located down the hill from both houses. Water goes to other house first, then to a pressure tank in their basement then to our place. I winterize our cabin by draining lines and WH and using antifreeze in the drains. He does nothing but keeps heat on to lowest setting. I've noticed that there is PVC pipe visible above ground between well and other house. Quite a bit of it actually and it has been this way presumably since construction in late 1990's but I don't know about any damage in the past. I feel OK about my plumbing but am concerned about PVC from well. Does gravity allow the line to drain back to the well? I know the pump at neighbor's house is never turned off. What are the potential or likely problems here? It has been down around zero overnight there lately.

Subject: White very fine sand

Author:
Michel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:18:24 12/19/13 Thu
(99-156-52-28.lightspeed.ftldfl.sbcglobal.net/99.156.52.28)

I'm in South Florida where the soil is made of sand. I have a drive point well around 20 ft deep connected to a Gould Irrigator 1-1/2 hp pump, and it is used for the sprinklers. Suddenly the water that came from the well was very mixed with very very fine white sand making this mix like dense pale milk. I'm pumping sand! What can I do with this trouble? Should I abandon this well and dig another one or its possible to fix it? Does it mean the point with the sreen filter is damaged? Can I remove the old ( about 15 years) pipe and point and replace it with a new one in the same hole?
Every help and answers will be appreciate.

Replies:
Subject: pump not working

Author:
tim fitzgerald (well not working)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:55:34 12/13/13 Fri
(h96-61-24-96.elgnok.dsl.dynamic.tds.net/96.61.24.96)

we have a well that is shallow about 40 ft deep about 3 months ago we had a new pump installed they put a larger capacity pump in the last six days we had no water when we called they said that it may be frozen but we used heat under the house to make sure that it was not frozen what else could be the problem

Subject: Flowing Artesian well dirty

Author:
Jaclyn Hall
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:13:23 12/05/13 Thu
(184-8-186-137.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net/184.8.186.137)

Hoping someone can help me.We have a flowing artesian well dug back in the late 60's.Only 80". Yesterday we had to drain the hot water heater twice to repair it and by the end of the day,our water was getting dirty..which is not unusual when we use an abundance of water in a short period of time.It usually clears up quickly if we let the well settle.But I had a friend here who while I was outside,thought letting the water run would clear it....Last night,the kitchen sink would not turn on,I went to the bathroom sink which also was clogged..I removed the screen and black water came pouring out.I immediately shut it off.I went out to look down the well and the cap on the artesian was overflowing,the ground around the well was so saturated there was standing water.We have had extremely wet conditions this fall.It has done this in the past,but never affected the water like this.This morning I dug a small trench to try and divert some of the water which helped,the standing water is now clear and not muddy.I did not draw any water until this afternoon, it is still black..looks like black coffee with grounds in it.I let it run a bit and it started to clear,but when the pump kicked on,it was black again.Will the water eventually clear and does anyone have an idea of how long it will take? Any suggestions appreciated!!

Subject: Basement well with Jet pump help

Author:
JR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:22:36 11/10/13 Sun
(64-91-16-216.stat.centurytel.net/64.91.16.216)

I am having some issues with my well. I will describe my setup and then the problem.

Setup:
I have a 1950 shallow well (not sure of the depth) that sits in a small 3ft wide by 4x4 annex (hole in the wall) The casing comes up about 2 feet and then then a 1 1/4 pipe comes up 20 inches and does a 90 and runs into the basement into a check valve and a coupling then has a 90 to drop 1 foot and then a 90 to run into the jet pump that is mounted on top of the pressure tank.

Problem:
I am not sure what actually happened first but I will describe the timeline with the problem.

On Monday I noticed my well was running every 2 minutes and 40 seconds and it sounded like the water was running back down into the well. Since it has not been apart in a known 20 years I elected to call a well plumber and have it checked out on Tuesday.

As I suspected it was a bad check valve. He managed to get it apart and replaced the check valve and put it back together. At that point he was checking everything else out and said my pressure was low 26lbs and adjusted my pressure tank to 40/60. Holly water batman, I didn't know what I was missing. It ran black with a lot of fine iron like sand for about two hours before it cleared up.

On Friday night I noticed my pressure relief valve on the hot water heater was dripping some water so I flipped the lever and go a bunch of black water but then it wouldn't shut off. It slowed way down to about what comes out of my RO unit, but it wouldn't shut off. I turned off the power to the heater, shut off the pump and drained the tank. Turned things back on and filled the tank. Still leaking with cold water. At this point I noticed the pun running and the water draining back down the well again.

I shut things down, went to the store and picked up a new relief valve and put it in, took the new well check valve out and found a chunk of scale in it. Cleaned it out and put it back in. Fired things back up and the water ran black again for about a half hour.

That's where I sit today. Do I have a bigger issue pending with all of this black iron type sand or could that just be because of all the water that was running back down the well from the pressure tank?

Replies:
Subject: Dirty water after heavy rain

Author:
WA McCormick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:06:53 11/22/13 Fri
(105.sub-70-196-0.myvzw.com/70.196.0.105)

My shallow (26 ft) well was great when it was put in back in 1983, but now the water gets muddy after a big rain. The well was bored. The casing is about 3 ft in diameter and is in sections about 4 ft long. I'm not looking for a filter system. I want to seal the surface water out. When it was bored, the first 15 feet was a sand/clay mix, mostlt sand. From 15 ft to about 15 ft and 8 inches was a layer of tight clay. Starting at about 15 ft 8 inches, there was a sand layer that was about 3 ft deep. Below that was tight clay. He stopped at about 26 ft leaving a small reservoir in the bottom. I would like to repair this well without digging 15 ft deep. Suggestions please.

Subject: cleaning silt from Red Lion Submersible pump

Author:
Helen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:13:25 11/12/13 Tue
(137-118-223-50.wilkes.net/137.118.223.50)

Hi...we have a pump submerged upright in pvc piping (it has been drilled with 1" holes to allow water flow) in our creek, to water our blueberry bushes. As the tides moved...we have silt and mud that have rerouted and the pumb needs to be rinsed. The power is off, the pump has been removed from the creek, wrapped in double plastic, resting at a tree base. Can anyone advise me as to how to rinse it?
Thanks. H

Subject: old well on property we think, found pipe while digging that we broke that has water coming from it.

Author:
Sara (Worried)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:11:38 11/10/13 Sun
(huntres-cgo-cm1-68-235-190-89.vianet.ca/68.235.190.89)

While digging my backyard we found an old pipe and broke it, there was water gushing from it and now it just trickles, i think it may be from an old well which was blocked at the house from an old well somewhere on property probably up the hill which most of my backyard is uphill. Now with all the rain my pump in my basement is going off and my backyard is wet, with water coming slowly in. Could it be an old well? or something else. Worried about all the water around my house. I have been directing it down the sides with a french drain but i am wondering if it is an old well, could there always be water in it? and If i block it up will i still have water problems? Not sure what to do.

Subject: Vandalized water well.....hpw to fix?

Author:
Tim (sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:46:55 10/28/13 Mon
(adsl-74-243-186-81.ard.bellsouth.net/74.243.186.81)

I just got a house with a six to eight inch pipe water well.
The previous resident threw long wooden planks down the tube followed by wooden posts to jam the boards in the tube.

I have fished out two posts 1 board and an 8 ft post, and have attached on to another board. The well might be 500 ft deep and I was wondering if anyone knows an easier way to clear this havoc

Replies:
Subject: Broken well pvc pipe

Author:
Mike Kelley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:31:36 10/22/13 Tue
(c-71-205-228-211.hsd1.mi.comcast.net/71.205.228.211)

I have a 4" pvc well pipe broken off about 6ft from the surface. looking for ideas on how to pull the pipe out to repair

Replies:
Subject: Rocky soil, How to get deeper? Help!

Author:
Chad Christopherson (Stuck!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:13:58 09/16/13 Mon
(c-174-53-218-52.hsd1.mn.comcast.net/174.53.218.52)

Here is my situation.. Trying to get a sandpoint inside an unfinished cabin through a 5" opening in a concrete slab. First attempt ended in a stuck sandpoint about 4' down that hit a rock then broke off when I was trying to pull it back up. Finally got broken point out after using a 6 HP Shop Vac with 3" diameter hose to suck the dirt out from around it. I have encountered many softball size rocks that I have pulled up with a homemade tool made from a bicycle brake affixed to a 1/2" pipe. Some rocks were bigger and I had to break them by "spearing" them with a 6'long and 30# metal breaker bar. Eventually they would break and I would pull up the pieces. I am now down about 6' and have sucked enough dirt out with the shop vac and pulled up the big rocks with The diameter of the hole below the slab is about 10" now. That is a lot of vacuuming but actually works pretty well. I estimate water to be about 15-18' down because of the depth of the sand point in the old cabin which still produces water. I have approximately 12 more feet to go. I can get extensions for the Shop Vac hose and make a longer tool to pick up the bigger rocks. Is there an easier way? I have looked at earth augers and think a 3" to 4" diameter bit might be an easier way to at least loosen up the gravel before sucking it out. I would need quite a few extensions to get to my desired depth. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to give up and haul water from the old cabin to the new one for the next 30 years. Thanks!

Replies:
Subject: Sandpoint well

Author:
Nick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:34:12 05/27/13 Mon
(108-231-123-21.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net/108.231.123.21)

Hello-I currently am in the process of installing a sandpoint well for our vacation property in Wisconsin. The water table is lower than I anticipated-currently I am in 4' or water 37' below ground level. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do for a pump set up? I used 1.25" pipe and I know it is more than 25" just trying to see what I can do with the current situation...

Replies:
Subject: using a liner in the sandpoint

Author:
MD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:34 07/04/13 Thu
(76-10-141-122.dsl.teksavvy.com/76.10.141.122)

Hello, I have driven a sandpoint down into about 5ft of water with 1"1/4" galv pipe. I think the pipe is damaged and instead of removing the sandpoint I would like to run 1" poly inside the galv pipe and in to the sandpoint. In theory the end of the poly would be submerged and able to draw water to the surface. Will this work ?

Replies:
Subject: WELL REPAIR NEEDED

Author:
RAYMOND C. MEYERS (electric well pump not working)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:29:47 05/25/13 Sat
(pool-173-72-170-174.clppva.fios.verizon.net/173.72.170.174)

I live in ashburn, VA 20147. we have a problem with our community well not working. the well was installed some 15 yrs ago, but we do not have the drillers name. I've been told that he is still in business. The electric panel can be opened & switched "on", but apparently the flow of ground water cannot be activated. according to the HOA a problem was discovered some 6 yrs ago, but it was not repaired. we need a current estimate as to the cost of getting this well back in service. Any information on a company in this area capable of inspecting the well & giving us an estimate to repair would be appreciated.

Replies:
Subject: old well still has water poring out of it

Author:
james
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:30:42 07/21/13 Sun
(184-213-66-87.pools.spcsdns.net/184.213.66.87)

hi i know of a water well that has ben poring out water for over 3 years now the people who own it wont cap it is that ok or she i call some one

Replies:
Subject: 2 water well Northwest Ohio

Author:
Deb Bechtol
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:04:22 08/17/13 Sat
(host671420022181.direcway.com/67.142.181.22)

I have a 2" water well that is my only source of water.
The soil here is clay and sand. Have owned the property for about 30 years. About 2 years after purchasing the well was pulled and 36" long filter cleaned. About about12 years later the well was pulled by a professional and they replaced the filter. I started having problems about two months ago. Faucets were spewing air and water with heavy dark sediment. Now I have no water at all. I called the company to pull the filter again but they tell me that laws prohibit this. They wanted to sell me a new 5-6" well. I purchased acid pellets to try and clean out the sediment. Treated twice with no success. Can only pump for about 5 minutes before it runs out of water. Within 10 minutes I can repeat. Is this well savable or must I have a new well drilled?

Replies:
Subject: Standing water above old well

Author:
Mary
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:53:30 07/13/13 Sat
(173-216-87-14.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net/173.216.87.14)

We have an old well that is covered with a cement lid (lid is now covered with grass)and has not been used in many years. There is now a 3 foot in diameter circle of water standing in the grass above the well. We just noticed this in the past week so I don't think the water has been there long. There are no other wet areas in the yard. It has only rained once in the last month, so it is pretty dry in the yard. What could be causing an old well to suddenly overflow with water?

Replies:
Subject: Loud Hissing sound coming from well

Author:
Catherine Conzatti (scared)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:04:35 06/28/13 Fri
(c-71-231-31-74.hsd1.wa.comcast.net/71.231.31.74)

Hello--over the past few months a loud "hissing" type sound has started from above our well. It started out very quiet but has grown to be a distraction. We have zero money so we are scared to call a professional to check this out. Our water pressure, etc has been just fine so we aren't sure what this is but we know we need to do something about our well. We don't know how old our well is (since we didn't put it in) but the well was inspected when we purchased the house about 12 years ago and we haven't had any problems all these years except for this loud hissing type noise coming from the ground around the well.

Replies:
Subject: have a water well that was pumping great last year

Author:
brenda monroe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:56 06/22/13 Sat
(97-92-199-241.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com/97.92.199.241)

we put the pitcher pump on we can pump it up but our other pump will not pull it over(new pump)...help I am so frustrated...thanks

Replies:
Subject: Re-Directing a Shallow Well Pipe

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:45:35 06/13/13 Thu
(76-231-141-135.lightspeed.sgnwmi.sbcglobal.net/76.231.141.135)

I currently have a shallow well that the previous owner of the home said is about 20' deep. I would love to keep it but the pipe is smack dab in the middle of where I want to have a concrete patio poured. Is it possible to dig down a couple feet and thread a bend onto the pipe to redirect it to the side of the patio (about 10') without loosing water pressure?

Thanks

Replies:
Subject: leaking water from well or unknown source

Author:
Laurence D. (unknown)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:28:04 06/13/13 Thu
(adsl-99-102-135-237.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net/99.102.135.237)

I have a 11.5x5x5 waterwell its been here since the early 70s. Anyway it stays full all the time and though sometimes it
leaks onto the sidewalk. Recently the city of vallejo has seen it leaking and complained that we need to fix it or shut it down. First of all I'm not sure if the well is actually leaking or if its leaking from another source. Everytime I drain it, it fills right back up again. Though recently it hadn't leaked onto the sidewalk. How do I find out if the water is leaking from well or somewhere else.

Replies:
Subject: seasonal to year round water

Author:
Gary (Moore)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:29:06 05/20/13 Mon
(dhcp-66-156.dsl.enter.net/216.193.156.66)

Hi - I'm hoping to convert a seasonal stream-fed gravity supply and wondering about the options. Steep slope, 80 ft rise to stream source. Soil becomes shale 20 - 40 inches down.
The water table is supposed to be 80 inches. The site has electricity.
Thank You, Gary

Replies:
Subject: Ground saturated arouind well pipe

Author:
Matt (Worried)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:49:27 05/13/13 Mon
(c-69-255-232-120.hsd1.md.comcast.net/69.255.232.120)

We have water pooling by our well pipe. It is on a slight grade so the ground is completely saturated on one side. Our water pressure is fine and water seems clean still. We have had quite a bit of rain. Obviously there has been times of a lot of rain in the past and this has never happened. Around the same time this started to occur the cable company was digging nearby could they have disturbed the well somehow or is it related to something else?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Worried because we don't have the money for a costly repair.

Replies:
Subject: well

Author:
wendy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:40:02 04/25/13 Thu
(227.sub-70-193-0.myvzw.com/70.193.0.227)

I have a well whenever I turn my water on more than an hour using my water hose, ie like trying to top off a pool or even watering flowers after the hose is ran more than an hour my pump shuts off and I then have to turn my switch off at the breaker box for about 30 mins I turn on And its fine I do it over again and does the same thing. My family's and everyone ive talked too does not have this promblem. They can run there water hose more than hour and does not shut off and to where have to turn off the breaker to get it going again Everything has been replaced new in well bout 2 yr ago, pump lines both water and electrical. The well they say have plenty of water its 303 ft deeep and say I get 32 gallons a min help me pleese.. I was thinking a pressure valve switch is needed and or a new tank?? Help this is so depressing when it should not be that u can't do anything in your yard.

Replies:
Subject: well pump

Author:
william
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:01:01 03/12/13 Tue
(NoHost/184.63.230.203)

my well pump turns on for 5 seconds every half an hour or so and pumps the water out a pipe that sticks out the side of my house. can you help me? thanks.

Replies:
Subject: Re: Restoration of victorian water well

Author:
ben
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:22:28 04/24/13 Wed
(dab-bas1-h-33-10.dab.02.net/82.132.215.198)

Hi Helen please contact us. we are well specialists in the UK.
02393 115269
kind regards
ben

Subject: wellpump is runing water then not

Author:
jon (hopefull god)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:49:42 04/06/13 Sat
(host9773005651.direcway.com/97.73.51.56)

what can I do to make sure my self the wellpump runs water then it does not run it stops running what my ops

Replies:
Subject: Water well not working

Author:
John
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:36:26 04/02/13 Tue
(108-215-128-181.lightspeed.bkfdca.sbcglobal.net/108.215.128.181)

Hi, there! I need help. I just bought a house with a water well. I have no experience of using a water well. It was good when move in the house, but it is not working automaticlly now. I can push the restart button to make it working but It will stop working after I stop runing water. I need some teach me how to use it.

Replies:
Subject: Be aware of mortgage lender WELL requirements

Author:
PAR4 (Reifenrath)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:34:52 03/26/13 Tue
(50-39-190-169.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net/50.39.190.169)

Your site is very informative, but I have not found anything on mortgage lenders requirements on properties on wells. This comes from my many years in mortgage lending. I've underwritten mortgage loans from all 50 states.

In brief, whether a property is being sold, purchased or refinanced, the well could be a deal breaker. Lenders most likely require a local health authority to test the water for contamination. Plus they may ask for a flow test, the minimum to be at least 5 GPM. So owners/sellers should address this issue early on and not wait to the last minute.

Subject: Middle Texas Coast Water Well Problem

Author:
Dan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:18:35 01/24/13 Thu
(216-177-162-18.block0.gvtc.com/216.177.162.18)

I have a waterfront property outside Seadrift on the Texas coast. Well is not keeping up with the pump. Casing is 3" galv. and the well is at least 50 years old. Well guy came out and tried to blow out the well with compressed air but that didn't work. Thinks the screens are plugged. He then tried muratic acid and blew it out again. Still no luck. Well is producing...only too slow. Pump will pump water until water in casing is depleted then sucks air. Any ideas what to do next? Can casing be pulled and new pvc casing and screen be put in?

Replies:
Subject: Deep well pump broke/ Won't come up

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:21 12/19/12 Wed
(24-177-29-74.static.hlrg.nc.charter.com/24.177.29.74)

I live near the coast in NC. We have a deep 4" PVC well drilled. Its about 17 years old. Its a submersible pump with a galvonized pipe. The pump quit working recently and I had a guy come look at it and the pump appears to be stuck. It will not pull up. We even hooked up a tractor with a front end loader and applied some pressure and it only moved an inch or two. I didn't keep pulling on it because I didn't want to brake anything yet. I need some suggestions as how to go about getting this fixed. Since its galvenized pipe should I just keep pulling it up with the tractor until it breaks loose and comes up? Our pond is gettin very low and has several fish in it and this is our only water supply outside. Any help would be great. As far as I know we have mostly clay a couple feet down. We were able to stick a measuring tape in the pipe and hit water about 13 ft down.

Replies:
Subject: Advice on shallow hand augered well.

Author:
Sandy. (Joyful but wary....)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:36:24 12/02/12 Sun
(101.host-203-96-9.compassnet.co.nz/203.96.9.101)

Hi, just put down a "test well" by hand on our property, using a modified 8" post hole borer - hit the water table at 5 feet deep (in clay) then bored through to 35 feet deep eventually, where the "suction" on the borer head damn near stopped us from being able to pull it back out (using muscle power only) - we struck marine mud at 15 feet, marine sand/sediment at 25 feet then black iron sand at 30 feet (the suction of which was terrible), as soon as we started to lift the rig up from our last bite the water in the hole raised immediately and started to flood out of the hole carrying sand etc with it at a great rate, this continued for at least 5 minutes (while I watched it - meanwhile thinking "sweet" - we've hit an artesian aquifer ! - which are common in our area - 3 known aquifers: 1 at circa 24-40 feet deep, 1 at circa 70 deep, and 1 at circa 120 deep, then limestone bedrock). In the time it took to glue my sand screen to 40 foot of PVC pipe (say 10 mins)and get to lower it in the hole....water had stopped coming out of it and CLONK !! hole is now only 10 feet deep ..(water level still at top).. must have collapsed ..tried to rebore but no good, managed to go 3 feet but the stuff we're dragging out is very fine black sand and though wet (saturated) is like drilling through concrete... Drilling lesson 101 learnt the hard way I guess - have all your gear ready at "go" ...to go down the hole immediately you hit "the zone" .
I will try this method again nearby, but I'm wondering now if I can possibly even get the pipe (my PVC "well casing") down against such a flow as we had coming out...(perhaps I should weight the end of the PVC down mightily or need to use use steel pipe as my casing ?) or for that matter be able to get any pea gravel down around it in time before the hole collapses (pretty sure the flow we saw will wash pea gravel out before it gets a chance.....maybe 1-2+" size needed ? And then (if we're succcesful at that - getting down the casing etc) I will have to have some plan on how we're going to stop the flow...(screwed cap on pipe with ball valve + maybe pressure reducer ? plus I guess have a good load of near set concrete to immediately cap around the hole) So it's kinda good news, bad news, yet good news again! We've struck a good "stream" but now have to refine our method of trying to tap into it....(make it workable)...and if all else with the boring then casing method fails, I now know a driven well point would work (or high pressure hydraulic rig). Still I would like advice or thoughts about what has happened and what I'm planning to do. Pitfalls I might experiance or tricks of the trade i could use. Everything appreciated. Cheers & thanks, Sandy.

Replies:
Subject: low pressure from submersablewell pump

Author:
Paul Garrison (Garrison)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:58:25 12/03/12 Mon
(bas5-kingston08-1176195703.dsl.bell.ca/70.27.82.119)

Have a submersable well pump
Water got froze as hot line did not work
Thawed it out
Now have only half pressure coming from the well to the barn
The pressure switch arks back and forth whe i click it with screw driver
I live up stairs and water will not come up here
But as I said,, will run half pressure to water the horses in tanks and water bowls
But up here No pressure
The pressure punp is up here (after the water bowls that are down stairs) and gage states no pressure
Why is pump running at only half pressure?
is it something to do with 220 volts and its only running on 110?
Can you help
Thanks
Paul Garrison

Subject: cant pump any water from new well

Author:
michael s
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:26 12/02/12 Sun
(70-41-43-39.cust.wildblue.net/70.41.43.39)

my 20 yr old well had a hole rusted in casing so i pulled the old casing and it was 55ft i put a new drive point(screen) and 52ft of 2" casing from menards in i have 12ft of water in casing. i put in 48ft of new 1 1/4 drop pipe new foot valve new jet and new flint and walling 2 stage 3/4hp pump.(i replaced every thing hoping not to have to touch it again for yrs) then i primed it using nieghbors gargden hose it pumped up and shut of but it only produces a pencil size stream of water for a minute then quits if i let it set it pump up short cycle on and off i open vavle get pencil size stream of water about 1/2 gallon and it quits again there is also a new bremer check it dosnt lose prime. please help cant afford 7Gs for new well.

Subject: Riverside county

Author:
mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:28:28 11/25/12 Sun
(NoHost/146.233.0.201)

I see you also live in Riverside County. I read the county information site which states a c57 license is needed to drive a well point. Is this correct or can I, as a private person, drive the well point??? Thanks in advance

Replies:
Subject: well water flows back out

Author:
TC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:16 11/14/12 Wed
(pool-72-74-220-6.bstnma.east.verizon.net/72.74.220.6)

my well water pumps in the house fine but when the pump shuts down the water just flows back out any suggestions please

Replies:
Subject: 2" sand point

Author:
Cameron Wagner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:19:13 11/06/12 Tue
(NoHost/12.200.169.7)

I've been driving a 2" sand point well in the ground and started looking into different pumps. The jet pumps require you to shoot a 1" line down the well with a foot valve ect. What I don't understand is where do you find a 2" well cap that will allow a pass threw of the one inch line. I can only locate 4" and larger well caps. Do you have to install a 4 - 6" pipe over the 2" casing and then use the larger well cap? Thanks much! Cameron Wagner

Replies:
Subject: Hand drilled filter chowked

Author:
Binod mool (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:35:05 11/05/12 Mon
(z44-07.opera-mini.net/82.145.209.102)

My4"diameter bore was drilled on 23 may 2012 44 feet deep in kathmandu, Nepal and the water flow was 5 gpm. All of sudden on 20 aug 2012 water flow went down. Now the water flow is only 12 litres in 2.5 min. It seems like the filter is chowked. I kindly request for your suggestion. With best regards. Binod mool kathmandu, Nepal

Subject: Old Stone Walled Well

Author:
Frank
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:39:44 11/01/12 Thu
(ynrfw28501.yr.com/204.10.132.7)

I have an old stone walled well that hasn't been covered in a few years. I've seen dead raccoon and chipmunks floating in the water over the summer. I'd like to have it pumped and cleaned out to be used for an emergency manual water reserve or to irrigate my garden.
Who would I call to clean it out? Well driller, Septic company or ???

The walls are in good condition and after it's up and running I'll build a protective cover so nothing else could get in.

Thank you!!!

Replies:
Subject: increase refresh rate

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:42:16 10/23/12 Tue
(63-135-231-12.static.tbdsl.com/63.135.231.12)

*120' well built 1978
*new pump, wire, pipe, check valves 1/2010. refresh rate was <2gmp
*well sat for 2 years
*turn on well and pumptec pump protector shuts off pump after five secs.
put on 20 minute off-time & well pumped up overnight but tried that again and only got about 20lbs pressure.
*the pump initially draws 5amps (normal) but then drops to 3amps and the pump protector shuts off pump. it does the same thing with the pump protector not connected.

sooo.... i'm guessing that my well is running dry, the pump screen is clogged or the well casing / screen is clogging. i'm going to have a man pull that pump next week but i'd like some suggestions on how to 'refresh' that well. i can't afford to drill another hole.

Replies:
Subject: Melted Well Casing?

Author:
Anna
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:57 10/24/12 Wed
(b12webproxy03.direcpc.com/69.19.14.17)

I have been troubleshooting our well for a week, and finally gave up and called a well guy. After hearing the symptoms and the troubleshooting I had already done, he said it sounded like the injector was going bad. He looked down into the well casing (we have a 60' two pipe deep well jet pump system) and said "We have a problem". About ten feet down from the top of the well casing, the 6" PVC casing appears melted and bent to the left, which explained why I couldnt' budge the darn thing myself. He couldnt pull the pipes with his boom, either. We did have a major lightning strike four years ago that hit a tree and then got into the well's power wires and then blew the breaker and a 1/4 inch hole in the panel box. Could it have also traveled 500' in the other direction, and melt the casing and bend it? Is there any way to replace that section and save this well. It's been a reliable well since it was drilled 40 years ago, and we hate to have to give up and drill a new one?

Replies:
Subject: Sprinkler pump

Author:
Raymond
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:32:58 10/15/12 Mon
(173-169-219-20.res.bhn.net/173.169.219.20)

I have a shallow well sprinkler system that does not appear to be functioning properly. I have four 1 1/4 well points (Brady) at 18 feet. The standing water level is 7 feet below the surface. When I hook up a 1/2 hp pump to the well points individually. I get 7 gpm, 7 gpm, 5 gpm and 5 gpm to total 24 gpm. These well points are plumbed together in an H pattern, with the main suction pipe connected to the middle of the H and a check valve right there. From there it runs 120 feet to a 1 hp Myers pump through 1 1/4 pipe. When the 1 hp pump is turned on it will only produce about 13 to 14 gpm. Not 24 gpm. I have seven sprinklers that use 1.5 gpm each. That is only 10.5 gpm and the 1 hp pump can not keep up with that. I have to partially close the discharge valve (between the pump and sprinkler system) until the discharge pressure is 30 psi just to get everything to work. The pump is turned on by a relay switch. The system does not have a pressure tank.

I need more water volume. Do I need to put down another well point?

Thanks

Replies:
Subject: deep well pump comes on for 5sec

Author:
tim (Ballard)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:47 10/11/12 Thu
(63-135-231-128.static.tbdsl.com/63.135.231.128)

i'm selling my home out-of-state and the inspector couldn't get the water well running for inspection purposes. i had a well guy go out today and he said that the pump turns on but then shuts off after about 5 seconds.... the well has a pumptec electronic pump protector. the pump, wire, pumptec, and plumbing were installed circa 1/2010. i lived in the house only ten months using this new pump so it's almost like-new..... the well guy, as translated through the realtor, said that it's only getting 110v BUT how then could the 220 pump run even for a short time? when the pump did this to me once long ago, i reset the sensitivity level on the pumptec, lower and all was (no pun intended) well. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
tim

Replies:
Subject: Buy Wholesale clothing (NC10051)

Author:
ANUS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:46:03 10/14/12 Sun
(augere-113-203-205-5.qubee.com.pk/113.203.205.5)

Order from One 2 Wear you’ll get cheap wholesale clothing but you also get first class customer service and fast shipping wherever you are, and all orders in the UK delivered free of charge. (http://www.one2wear.co.uk)

Subject: Basement well pump

Author:
jayinmichigan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:38:51 09/27/12 Thu
(71-90-137-83.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com/71.90.137.83)

I have a 1 1/4" well in the basement that has a 20 gallon bladder tank and a top mounted 1/2 hp pump. I have noticed that the pressure has gradually dropped over the last few months (longer cycle times to get to the limit and shut off) and the gpm is about 1 1/2. We have a lot of lime in this area and am wondering if there is a way to treat the well point for corrosion without pulling it. There is a 2" casing around the water line and it was suggested that putting iron out or vinegar down the gap between the pipes may clear it up. Suggestions of dynamite and shooting were also suggested !. The well is under the stairway that leads upstairs of course.

Replies:
Subject: Trying to remove old pipe & point

Author:
Fred White (Sad & tired)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:47:35 10/06/12 Sat
(111.sub-75-195-117.myvzw.com/75.195.117.111)

Good Day, I'm looking for a little help & any suggestions are greatly appreciated.I have a point well, 2" pipe down to a 36" x 2" point. The soil here is a mix of sand, dirt, mud & clay. It is approx. 30'down, runs to 1"& a quarter to the pump & pressure tank. Slowly but surely the gpm has declined, I lost the prime & that's all she wrote.I disconnected everything & hooked up a come along & chain to the pipe & an A frame I rigged. Well the 2 and a half ton come along blew up in my face, I tried auto jacks ans still nothing. Any suggestions of how I can remove this thing-thank you in advance
Ps I tried to water jet the soil out from a fire hose-nothing

Replies:
Subject: Pump Promblems

Author:
Alex
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:08 10/02/12 Tue
(c-24-23-2-200.hsd1.ca.comcast.net/24.23.2.200)

Hey I have a problem with my pump... It works while above ground but when we plug it in underground it doesn't work...

We have a w8g07s12-32s Little Gaint pump...

Please Help... I am about to go crazy

Replies:
Subject: air leaking from well seal

Author:
David Vanier
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:09 09/30/12 Sun
(cpe-69-205-20-122.nycap.res.rr.com/69.205.20.122)

I have a deep jet well with two pipes going down the caseing. Everything seams to be working normaly. I have noticed air hissing from under the caseing cap. Is this a problem ?

Subject: help with hand driving well

Author:
Kara (frustrated)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:14:15 09/03/12 Mon
(p-69-195-55-45.dsl1.rtr.chat.fpma.frpt.net/69.195.55.45)

We've been trying to drive a well for several weeks now. We've been problem solving constantly but always get to the same end: A pipe in the ground with a good amount of water in it, the pump creates suction (hard to pump)but no water comes out. The pipe drains quickly (last measure was 1 gallon drained in 1 minute). We did drive through a substantial amount of clay at this spot. We pulled the pipe out to check for leaks/breaks and to clean it and sent it back down.We surge it frequently. Currently we are 15'6" underground. The area is known to have a high water table around 10'. While drilling we stopped every foot to check for water and, except when we had leaks or broken couplers, always the same result - 5' to 10'of water in the pipe, the pump primes but is hard to pump and will not pump out anything but the water we pour in.

Any thoughts on what our problem is or what we should do next? Many thanks,
Kara

Replies:
Subject: High saline/salt content in well

Author:
charles pinson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:33:42 09/10/12 Mon
(tx-76-4-58-26.dhcp.embarqhsd.net/76.4.58.26)

Have a well that is 35-40 deep and plenty water and pumps great but the salt content is too high. Well is used for irrigation purposes only .Is there a solution to rid or control the salt . have heard reverse osmoses or go deeper. Any chemicals or simple solutions available?

Replies:
Subject: Water into cabin from old hand pump

Author:
Mark
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:29:39 09/09/12 Sun
(c-98-236-156-35.hsd1.pa.comcast.net/98.236.156.35)

I have an old hand pump well at my camp that has not worked for about 15 years. We recently pulled the pipes out and now we have just the casing (4 inch inside diameter). The well is 39 feet down to water and there is 12 feet of water est. I want to run water into my cabin. Nothing fancy but to just get a little running water for my sink. I would only have to dig a line maybe 25 feet. With the 4 inch id casing, I would have a big problem with a sub pump because the est 3.75 inch won't get past the pit less adapter I would have to put in at the frost line. I know they make a 3 inch sub pump as well but they are hard to find. Could I install a jet pump large enough to draw the water up that far and would you suggest a jet pump instead? Thanks so much. It is an older cabin that I fixed up but we have no running water at all and are not able to pass the p test to get a toilet. All I want is some water in the kitchen for my wife to do dishes. Thanks again.

Mark Earley

Subject: Hi

Author:
Mohamed Hidra (water well)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:24 09/03/12 Mon
(ip68-8-68-160.sd.sd.cox.net/68.8.68.160)

i ned help for Water Well

Replies:
Subject: question about using existing well

Author:
Aaron (curious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:22 08/29/12 Wed
(NoHost/72.250.228.97)

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to use the foot pump on an existing well that is on my property? I am pretty certain its a deep well as my neighbor says theirs is so I figured it was safe to assume ours is as well. It has an electric pump but we don't have electricity running to our place so its unusable. Thanks for any info.

Replies:
Subject: Hand augered well

Author:
John
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:10:24 08/07/12 Tue
(74-82-64-16.rdns.blackberry.net/74.82.64.16)

I have hand augered a six inch bore 47' @ 42' I start to get wet sand by the time I get to 47' sand to wet to stay in the bucket. I'm thinking of attaching 2" drive point to bottom of 2" pvc pipe and driving from the inside of the bottom of the pipe so I only strike the metal drive point to get deeper in the aquifer. What is your opinion of this? Anyone ever tried this? Any ideas welcome thanks!

Replies:
Subject: Well not producing enough gpm for irrigation system

Author:
Kathy I
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:27:33 08/07/12 Tue
(cpe-075-178-015-142.nc.res.rr.com/75.178.15.142)

Forgive me in advance for probably not knowing enough to even ask you a question, but here goes. I have a plumber putting a well in my back yard for irrigation only. He said he dug the well 60 some feet down. I have a 1 hp pump that is above the ground. He put a tank out there as well (not sure how many gallons, but he had a small tank and then put a bigger one out there because of the problem I'm getting ready to discuss). Then he took my system away from city water and tied it into the well. We turned on the 1st zone of the sprinkler system and it worked beautifully for about 15 seconds (all 5 heads) and then less and less water was coming out, and then the heads were just "spitting" water and a few heads just dropped back into the ground. The misters don't have enough pressure to pop up at all. When he put on a bigger tank, the sprinklers worked great for about 1 minute, and then the exact same thing happened (hardly any pressure at all). The guy putting in the well cannot figure out why and it is driving me nuts. I am already about $1300 into this thing, and he is now talking about having to dig another well? Isn't there something else we can do? Maybe a bigger hp pump (1.5 hp or 2 hp). I have 2 landscapers come out and look at it and they are saying that water is not coming out enough "gallons per minute". They said it is only producing about 12 gallons per minute, and one of them said for my system, I probably need about 25 gallons per minute. How do we get that so that each zone will produce water for the entire 20 minutes I have the zone on for? Here are a few notes the landscaper left: "pump does turn off and on at right pressure". "When you turn on system, the pump gradually loses pressure....the pump cannot keep up with the demand of water". "The irrigation zone sizes are fine, the pump should be able to keep up." Can anyone help please? Pretty sad I have to try to figure out the problem and then tell the guy I'm paying.

Replies:
Subject: low pressure

Author:
Eddie Villareal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:00:43 08/10/12 Fri
(rrcs-67-78-110-162.sw.biz.rr.com/67.78.110.162)

I have a 500 foot water well and im needing to know what causes the well to lose pressure when the main distrubition value is off and has short pumping cycles. Please help

Replies:
Subject: Instead of pumping water, my pump pulls up the well seal and drop pipe

Author:
Lou
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:12:52 08/08/12 Wed
(NoHost/184.21.225.11)

I'm working on a hand pump. My static water level is 80 feet. The pump is set at 110 feet. Why am I pulling up my well seal and drop pipe, and not any water? The pump worked above ground in a test, but not in the well. My fulcrum is not attached to the wellhead. When I pull up on the rod slowly, the rod comes up, but not water. When I pull up on it fast, it pulls up everything (well seal, drop pipe), but still no water. The seals are not binding, but it feels like a vacuum is created. The foot valve is new, and I removed the spring after the third attempt. The cylinder is 4 inches and the drop pipe is 1 1/4 inches. What could the problem be?

Subject: depth of water well

Author:
steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:06:38 07/25/12 Wed
(wnpgmb1204w-ds01-77-129.dynamic.mtsallstream.net/142.161.77.129)

how deep is it possible to go by using this do it yourself method and how deep can a well be before you can not use a manuel pump?

Replies:
Subject: 2 questions- HELP

Author:
JMSJ83
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:37:07 07/11/12 Wed
(144ob.scansafe.net/72.37.171.60)

I drove a shallow well 2 weeks ago to replace an old irrigation well for garden/vinyard. Its 1 1/4# 60" simmons 60 gauge point and 15' galv 1 1/4" pipe. I live in NJ.
My static water level is 5-6' in sandy soil.
Question 1- I 1st hooked a hand pump up for a week to clear well and after a week and 100's of galons of water It pumps great but Its still pulling sand up. How is this possible?
Question 2- I hooked a pump up yesterday after priming it it pumps good, but after it sits a couple minutes it looses its prime.
The check valve is holding, all fitting are sealed with teflon, no leaks, no drip. I hear what appears to be air sucking when pump is running. I had 3 people looking for leaks and couldn't find any. Do I have a bad new pump?
I bought a pump/tank combo at Harbor Frieght?

Replies:
Subject: deepening cased water well

Author:
L Tillberg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:44:48 07/23/12 Mon
(ip24-255-199-110.ks.ks.cox.net/24.255.199.110)

I have a 5" cased well that is 45 feet deep with a submersible pump on it that is around 40 ft. When the well is not pumped it will fill up to about 30 ft but when pumped willpump air about 1/4 of the time. it pumps for 5-10 seconds then pumps air for 2-4 seconds. Is there any way to dig the well deeper? I forced a high volume of water down the casing and got out some sand but now am down to something more solid. Is there some way of drilling through this "gravel or shale" or could i use a sand point to go deeper. If I use a sand point I would probably have to go to some type of jet pump wouldn't I?

Subject: Preassure tank maintainig preassure

Author:
Levi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:53:33 07/22/12 Sun
(174-126-105-148.cpe.cableone.net/174.126.105.148)

I have installed a sand point well. I am about 25 feet down. I pump OK water, but no pressure. I am using a 1/2 hp jet pump 1 1/4 galvan.ized pipe off the sand point into the pump. I come out straight to a hose spliter with one garden hose and nothing on the other. I didn't have enough pressure to water with more then two sprinkler half heads, the kind that spray. So I bought a 19 gallon pressure tank and tank hook up kit from home depot. I think I have it hooked up right, there was no instructions in the kit box. It is a precharged tank to 40 psi BTW. So when I first turn my pump on it starts to build pressure. The pressure switch is a 40-60 psi. It builds up to 60 and shuts off. When I turn the hose on full open it comes out a great long stream of water as the pressure starts to drop right below 40. The pump then kicks on and now I'm back to where I was with enough to run the two heads. Then it loses what ever pressure is left. I don't really understand this stuff so I'm at my breaking point. I just want more pressure is all. Please help!

Replies:
Subject: Sand point well

Author:
seahorse669
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:00:35 07/19/12 Thu
(wsip-66-210-29-139.ks.ok.cox.net/66.210.29.139)

I have a sand point well used for irrigation. For the last two years the irrigation has worked fine until around July and then it does not reliably pump water with any pressure. I measured the depth of the well--20 feet down--water level in the pipe is at approximately 16 feet 6 inches (that would been 3 and a half feet from the BOTTOM of the pipe). I THINK the pump works ok (about 2 years old). I live in Kansas and the last two summers have been extremely dry. Is 3 and a half feet of water in the pipe sufficient to draw a suction??

Replies:
Subject: New Shallow Well Not Producing

Author:
Gary (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:00:59 07/17/12 Tue
(70-126-55-6.res.bhn.net/70.126.55.6)

I am in the process of trying to get my new shallow well to produce. I live in Central Florida and my well is 17 feet deep. The static water level is about 7 feet. When I hook my 1 hp Goulds Jet Pump to my well it sucks water intermittently. I have a ball valve on my line to keep it from sucking too much water. Also, I have a check valve to keep water in the pipe. I bought a pressurized tank to help the pump.

I'm guess that I'm not actually in the aquifier because I have 3 shallow wells and hook them up all at once to the pump and it still doesn't pump water consistently. How can I tell if I'm in the aquifier or in a water table that is about the aquifier? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies:
Subject: cement cylider well - 55' deep

Author:
Dawn Becker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:34:14 03/22/12 Thu
(70-41-64-58.cust.wildblue.net/70.41.64.58)

There is an old cylinder well in the pump house just below my basement. I have dropped a string down to determine it's depth, which is 55'. There is 25' of water in the well. I have tried putting 1" poly pipe, with a foot valve, into the well but am unable to get the water to pump out. It may be as simple as not the right pump. Neighbors have told me it most likely has a lot of sand in it. I did run into areas that the poly hung up on, while dropping it into the well. I jigged it around until I got it to go down approximately 50'. The diameter of the cement well casing is approximately 16 to 18". I am hoping to draw water from this for the garden and outside use versus using pipeline water which is quite costly here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Dawn

Replies:
Subject: Can I use a 1 1/4 intake to draw water through a 2" line?

Author:
harry Resnoski (Perplexed)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:36 07/12/12 Thu
(wnpgmb0804w-ad03-85-37.dynamic.mtsallstream.net/74.216.85.37)

Can a 3/4 hp jet pump pull water from a river through an existing 250' 2" line? The drop is approximately 25'. My son bought 2.6 acres and the original pump was removed 15 years ago. My son picked up an old jet pump that has the standard 1 1/4" intake. The pump can be wired for 115/230 volts. The pump will be used for irrigating 6 zones, 1 or 2 zones at a time. I'm in the process of making a 6 outlet manifold for the 1" lines. Thank you!

Replies:
Subject: shallow well jet pump

Author:
Norma
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:01:30 07/05/12 Thu
(NoHost/206.246.6.216)

we have a 1/2 hp shallow well jet pump about 2 yrs old. we are trying to pull water from the creek. the uplift will be between 15-20 foot up from the water.. intake is 1 1/4 inches, outtake is normal garden hose... we canot get it to pump, the pump, jerks and kicks then shuts off, any suggestions? is this too restricted coming out of the pump? our electric supply is a good 20 foot away..

Replies:
Subject: jet assembly

Author:
john (stuck)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:55:27 07/03/12 Tue
(ayer-pppoe-96-45-250-67.dsl.bright.net/96.45.250.67)

I have an old well w//4" casing. I trying to set up a deep well { 2 pipe } jet pump to irrigate my garden, I bought a jet assembly for a 4" casing but I can't get it down the casing. It measures 3 and 7/8" across- with 1-1/4 and 1" piping -just to tight. Does some mfg. make a jet with smaller cross section. thank you for any suggestions

Subject: No Water Draw

Author:
Scott Arnett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:20:04 06/27/12 Wed
(24-231-187-181.static.bycy.mi.charter.com/24.231.187.181)

Hello. I recently drove a well point 13' down putting the well point 8' under the water table. In driving the well I used a sledge hammer causing the 1 1/4 pipe to break at the drive coupling (that joined the two 5' sections of pipe) 5' down under ground. I dug the pipe back up, cleaned the second section of 5' that was still in the ground attached to the well point and used a rubber joiner (the kind with the screw clamps on either end) to rejoin the two 5' sections back together. I cemented the pipe in place for stability, purged the pipe completely and noticed that the water in the pipe (that now pertrudes out of the ground 12 in)stays full of water consistantly at ground level (or 12 in from the top of the pipe). I have bought a new pitchers pump, primed it many many times with no luck in drawing water. Fearing that the pitches pump was defective, I bought a new shallow well pump & check valve, (installed them both correctly) primed that also many many times with still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Subject: water

Author:
carl poole
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:09:47 06/23/12 Sat
(host671420023172.direcway.com/67.142.172.23)

we cleaned point put everything back have water now and bettewr pressure but water is very cloudy and it wont settle if put in a glass

Replies:
Subject: Restarting shallow jet pump well new pump no water flow

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:12:21 06/08/12 Fri
(c-76-112-61-54.hsd1.mi.comcast.net/76.112.61.54)

I am trying to restart a shallow ~33' well. I replaced the jet pump, frozen and cracked previous owner, and have primed it many times. The pump holds it's prime overnight but only produces 10psi when run with only a trickle of discharge water with the discharge cracked slightly open. There is a check valve 6' down the well line and if I loosen the well side of the check I hear air sucking in. The well is 30 years old and may not have run for a couple years.
So what do I have plugged screen? Clogged foot valve? Don't k ow where the well head is but probably can witch it. I am handy but at the end of my skills what should I do next?

Replies:
Subject: sucess with a small well drill rig ?

Author:
stanley (any help)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:32:11 06/13/12 Wed
(adsl-99-103-189-203.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net/99.103.189.203)

I purchased a small drill rig (hydra rock) from an estate.It is one of the newer models with 6 hp. drill motor. Was wondering about the sucess rate that any others may have had with this setup. We have to backpack every thing 5 miles into the location. Missing was the operational manuals and attempts to purchase same from manufacting seem to be ignored. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Replies:
Subject: water draw

Author:
Ben Kirkland (doing good)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:43:41 06/18/12 Mon
(macdill-pxyw1n.afnoc.af.mil/132.3.37.68)

My hand driven well is 18 feet I send down a line and found water at 11 feet, when I fill the pipe up to the top with water it only dropped about 1 inch in a week. So I have put two different pumps on the line and it will not draw water. It does however pull a vacuum when I press down and hold the handle on the pump.

If I hold the vacuum for over 10 seconds I can hear air seeping out, does this indicate a air leak on the metal pipe or some other problem. Why would not the water pull at least what was already in the pipe??

Thanks for any advice.

Replies:
Subject: HELP !!! Need parts for Fairbanks-Morse piston type well pump !

Author:
"DOC"
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:09:37 06/14/12 Thu
(pool-72-86-1-115.lyncva.east.verizon.net/72.86.1.115)

I have had this OLD Fairbanks-Morse pump sitting around for many years as a conversation piece, and finally decided to actually use it to run 3 sprinklers in our garden.The electric motor works and the gearbox operates the piston connecting rod but when I plumbed it up to the water tanks water flows thru the pump freely and when you turn on the power it built no pressure,so.....I disconnected it and brought it in the shop, and took it apart. The seal or washer or whatever it is that serves as a piston is long gone and I have no idea what goes in it. I have 13 pictures of the pump and its stages of disassembly, but I see no way to upload pics to this forum? Any help will sure be appreciated! Thanks,"DOC"

Replies:
Subject: Help with an old well

Author:
Job (greatful)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:43:41 06/02/12 Sat
(c-24-10-166-101.hsd1.ut.comcast.net/24.10.166.101)

My brother bought a house that was built in the 60's it has an old well I belive. There are two 1 1/4" galvanized pipes coming out of the ground about 3' apart they 90 and come to a T. Hooked a old 5hp pump that my dad gave me to it and nothing comes out. There is 240 vac next to this well and a breaker in the house that says pump. My question is how to I tell if this is dried up old well or worth getting up and running. Also what is the second pipe for never seen this configuration before.

Replies:
Subject: sand point well points?

Author:
Matthew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:26:41 06/06/12 Wed
(68-119-5-240.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com/68.119.5.240)

I am trying to figure out what the advantages or disadvantage are between the diamater, ie 1-1/4" to 2", and also in the lenghth, ie 24" to 36".
I have a pre-existing well, hand dug to 8-1/2'x 20", with 1/2' of standing water. I want to run a pre existing 3/4" sprinkler system with the water, I think I need close to 15gpm. Thank you for your help! I am starting to pull my hair out on this one

Replies:
Subject: garden hose stuck 18 feet in my shallow well 2inch pipe

Author:
ben (how can i get this garden hose un stuct)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:00:54 05/26/12 Sat
(50-39-228-191.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net/50.39.228.191)

need to get this garden hose unstuct it is 18 feet down inside the 4 inch pipe at the bottom ipulled on garden hose it is stuck real good even with water running down garden hose if i had a half stick of dinamite i woult do it that way but you cannot buy dinamite anymore

Replies:
Subject: taking out pipes fell dow in bore

Author:
piyush sehgal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:44 05/11/12 Fri
(NoHost/117.241.152.28)

i want to know about taking out pipes fell down in the bore.
there is a 80 feet 4inch bore of handpump and it consists of 70 feet pipes, while taking 0ut pipes for repairing of handpump, pipes after 40 feet consists of a cylinder having checknuts on both upper and lower side, the lower checknut loses its contact with cylinder due to jerk and fell down inside the bore.
now it is very difficult to take out that 30 feet of pipe, please send me some ideas related to my problem on my email id , i want to get the problem resolved as soon as possible

Replies:
Subject: Iron in water

Author:
Gail (Help)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:54:44 04/18/12 Wed
(c74-196-119-169.dh.suddenlink.net/74.196.119.169)

We had a well dug to fill pond and water lawn, all works good except we are getting too much iron (we have been told)and it has turned eveything rust colored. We have been told (by saleman)we can put a filter on to stop that but before we spend more money wanted to see if that is ture and where can we get and do we need a certain size? Also does anyone know how I can get the rust color off my sidewalks? Thanks for your help

Replies:
Subject: pump stuck, what can I do

Author:
Craig (Hoping in E. TX.)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:14:14 04/13/12 Fri
(r74-192-86-187.mnolcmta01.minltx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net/74.192.86.187)

I have a 4" PVC cased well that the pump has become stuck in. Well Service Co attempted to remove it and broke off the top 10' of pvc it was hanging on and all/most of the wire. The pump is at 170'. The static level is 76'. Total depth 412'.
I need to figure out:
If the pump being left in there will block access to the water that is below it? In other words could I leave everything as is and redo it into a shallower setup?
If not and the pump was driven down to the bottom of the well, since it is stuck now, would the casing likely be damaged and ruin things worse? Sorry if these ideas are not clearly stated and thanks in advance for any help!

Replies:
Subject: Pressure Switch On Well Pump Problem

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:52 04/11/12 Wed
(70-126-227-240.res.bhn.net/70.126.227.240)

Having a little difficulty with a pressure switch. (110V) Not sure if its wired correctly. I have three wires coming from pump to pressure switch. Also three wires coming from a switch to the pressure switch. The black wire connected in the pump is on L2. The white I guess is on L1 aqnd the bare copper is grounded. The switch has load and line on it...both sides of switch. I thought the black goes to load and whites go to line. Does it matter what side of pressure switch to connect these on? Cant get the switch to cut on and off.

Replies:
Subject: Off Grid Sandpoint

Author:
Chummer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:48:52 04/09/12 Mon
(static-pppoe-209-91-139-248.vianet.ca/209.91.139.248)

Hello All,

First off, thanks to all the contributors of this forum. I've learned a lot of tips.

I've recently purchased some land and plan on sinking a sand point and using hand pump to start off with. Where I'm at there is no hydro (off grid). I have two questions:

1. using a 1 1/4 stainless steel point, where would the check valve go, below the hand pump or down closer to the point. I know that a friend of mine had his check valve below his hand pump. It ended up cracking over winter (frost)

2. My next question is about drop pipes. How would i incoporate a drop pipe with my handpump considering that my hand pump is 1 1/4 and designed to screw right onto the well pipe. Also with regards to drop pipes. Does the well pipe still expect to be under vacuum as it would without a drop pipe?

Thanks

Subject: at a standstill as far as progress it seems

Author:
LEON (CONCERNED ANDS WONDERING WHERE i WILL)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:10:41 04/03/12 Tue
(97-116-128-78.mpls.qwest.net/97.116.128.78)

MY WELL LINE FROM HOUSE TO SAND POINT IS PLASTIC INCH AND A QUATER. iT SEEMS TO BE PLUGGED i CAN BARELY GET A AIR HOSE IN IT FEELS LIKE SAND?/ SYSTEM QUIT WHEN I CLORINATED WITH STRAIGHT BLEACH AS IT WOU NOT ACCEPT MUCH LIQUID AND NOW LINE IS FULL ALWAYS TO TOP WITH WATER

ANOTHER QUESTION PUMP MANUFACFTURER SAID LEAVE LINE OPEN WHEN PRIMING! IT SEEMS ALL MY WATER RUNS OUT IMMEDIATEDLY WHICH I HAVE PUT IN PRIMING HOLE.

Replies:
Subject: water level wont drop enough to insert bleach

Author:
leoin (?)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:59:16 04/01/12 Sun
(97-116-150-183.mpls.qwest.net/97.116.150.183)

was clorinating my 23 ft water level sandpoint and put in 1/2 gallon of straight bleach and it quit accepting water and bleach level stay constant? what is problem how do i get more bleach in

Replies:
Subject: drilling fluid got sucked down well

Author:
Bruce marthers (Help)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:57:06 03/24/12 Sat
(www.truvista.net/165.166.154.72)

I was drilling a well in sand,went through some hard clay, I was using a mud pump and boring a 4" well, I panned to go 80 foot with 20 foot of well sreen, I was at 60 foot everything was going good and then swoosh I broke thrugh and all my quick gel fluild went racing down the pipe along with the fluid that was in my mud pit It was all I could do to keep the pipe from going down the hole also. my ? is what am I to do to get well screen down if all my drilling fluid is just going to pour right down the hole HELP Pastor Bruce fell free to call 803- 427 7057

Replies:
Subject: inproper casing install

Author:
gary (curious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:46:48 03/18/12 Sun
(70-41-206-149.cust.wildblue.net/70.41.206.149)

I have a 6" pvc casing. Installed crooked.Paper work says 400'deep.Pump at 345'on 1 1/4" pvc pipe. I had someone come and blow it out to clean and we got sand, gravel, pvc chunk out.Casing must be broken. Before I get someone to put a camera down it to see if the casing is still inline where its broken I would like to know if I can put a 4"pvc casing down a crooked casing to 400'?

Replies:
Subject: drilling in karst country

Author:
john
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:02:43 02/26/12 Sun
(mobile-166-203-201-043.mycingular.net/166.203.201.43)

Would like to drive a shallow well for irrigation. But we live in southern missouri in what is "karst country". Rocky soil but ground water that can be close to the surface. Is this possible to do and does it reguire a more specialized or hardened point. Any help would be appreciated. thanks john

Replies:
Subject: Creek water for irrigation

Author:
Jerry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:22:46 03/08/12 Thu
(NoHost/99.144.114.237)

I have a small spring fed creek in my yard that has a small stream running through it year round. I would like to use if for irrigation purposes only. I have been reading about spring boxes and have thought about driving a well next to the stream but I am not sure if these are the way to proceed. Am open to all ideas as to what would be the best way to approach this project?

Thanks,

Replies:
Subject: Sand point well questions.

Author:
ned souder (optamistic possabilities !)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:30:54 03/06/12 Tue
(50-33-54-85.wyng.mn.frontiernet.net/50.33.54.85)

My second well is very old and not very deep, I say this because the nearby river is approx 13' below grade,1 block away. The well has 4'square cement walls at a depth of 6'4", sand bottom. soil is gravel/sand. I would like to use this well first to water the garden near by and second to do a water feature (decorative).It is a sand point well with a bent pipe near the top which is the first thing I must fix, than replace the leather I would emagine.Last time well was inspected water was considered unpotable.
What kind of pump to use, does it sit at the bottom of well coupled in at that point ? What kind of control system can I have for the 2 perposes ? where does the electric get possitioned?............This is all new to me ,Thank You for being there.

Replies:
Subject: waterwell up to a holding tank

Author:
dcurtis55 (Dale)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:15:58 03/05/12 Mon
(conr-adsl-dhcp-64-92-8-127.consolidated.net/64.92.8.127)

looking for info about setting up a well using an iir compressor to force water up to a holding tank. this is the type of system they use down around Houston.

Subject: clay

Author:
sandi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:59:42 02/22/12 Wed
(206.sub-97-221-86.myvzw.com/97.221.86.206)

Im so thankful for this site! Ok I have a very high water table 8ft. But I keep hitting clay. If I go down 40ft to escape the clay (hopefully) and the water table is still above 25ft will a shallow well pump work? Also what are my options if 40ft deep comes and goes and im still in clay? I think im in silty soil until about 10ft is that too shallow for pottable water? I appreciate your input

Replies:
Subject: Drive point well problem

Author:
Jason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:53:15 02/18/12 Sat
(cpe-69-205-167-41.stny.res.rr.com/69.205.167.41)

I'm installing a 1.25" drive point well and I am looking for some help / advice.

Just yesterday I finished driving 11' into the ground. About 2' is sticking out (36" drive point + 10' of pipe).

I have a cistern hand pump to pump water with. The problem is, the handle of the pump gets VERY hard to pump and once pumped a few times, it sticks way out and doesn't go down. It's almost as if there;s some kind of backwards pressure causing this to happen.

I have flushed the line and there's about 4' of standing water in the pipe. I try priming the pipe, the pump, and sometimes one and not the other just to see what happens. When I prime just the pump and not the line, I pump it a bunch of times and I'll hear nothing but a small vacuum/suction sound when I lift the handle all the way to force the plunger of the pump all the way down.

I live in an area that has a very very high water table, and there are springs all over my yard. It's a seasonal place and I have no source of water except for this. In my mind I think I'm for down enough but maybe 11' won't cut it and I need to go deeper....??

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you wish as I may have left out some details that are needed for those who want to help me.

Thanks!

Replies:
Subject: pressure tank distance from well

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:40:13 02/10/12 Fri
(adsl-74-179-33-244.bna.bellsouth.net/74.179.33.244)

I have a question about the distance of putting my pressure tank from the well. My well is 65 feet deep. I would like to my pressure tank and pressure switch in the corner of my shop that is 160 feet from the top of well casing which would make the total length 226 feet to the bottom of well. Would that work ok or do I need to place the tank at the top of well casing but then I would have to make a small well house for the pressure tank only and I didn't want to do that. I read where some people place the tank under the house crawlspace of there house which is kinda the same setup. My plans are 3/4 hp subm pump with 20 gal pressure tank. Water is used for outside only.

Replies:
Subject: 1 1/2 well

Author:
bubba
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:47:49 02/15/12 Wed
(c-71-200-56-248.hsd1.md.comcast.net/71.200.56.248)

I have a 1 1/2 well 15 ft deep . Apparently the pipe has rusted through because it won't hold its prime . New check valve at the pump and once I prime it I get plenty of water , is there any way I can sleeve it ?

Replies:
Subject: sticking points

Author:
charity (need help please)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:41:54 02/06/12 Mon
(68-184-104-2.dhcp.dgls.ga.charter.com/68.184.104.2)

I have a shallow well and the points keep sticking what maybe my problem?Can someone please help me cause this is causing my light bill to go up very high?

Replies:
Subject: Simply - how can I dig/drill for water! Italy.

Author:
James
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:28:07 01/30/12 Mon
(arts-101-0020.hss.uea.ac.uk/139.222.214.138)

G'day all.

Some Italian friends are planning to dig/drill for water on their land. They tell me that there is water just 5m down (20ft), no rocks.

Im going to be going over there next week to help them - but we dont have a plan! use a spade?! we have no electricity or water there. We are on a low budget but could hire a generator if needed..

anyway steps and info would be fantstic!

Replies:
Subject: Do it yourself hydrofracking

Author:
James Smith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:13:51 01/25/12 Wed
(c-66-30-56-196.hsd1.nh.comcast.net/66.30.56.196)

Hello, I was wondering about do it yourself hydrofracking. I've heard about using air pressure or dry ice and wondered if they might work. I have a 550' - 575' foot well that seems to be having issues with clogging veins. The well was professionally hydrofracked some years back and it helped though it opened up a vein with more iron. Just trying to save some money if I can do it myself. Thanks.

Replies:
Subject: I dropped a lead sinker down my casing! help

Author:
scott Williamson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:38:02 01/23/12 Mon
(1.sub-174-252-242.myvzw.com/174.252.242.1)

I dropped a lead sinkersinker down my 4" well casing to measure. The depth and dropped the line losing my sinker down the casing! Ia my well ruined? Any ideas on retrieval. 4"well metal casing 70'to deep. HELP!

Replies:
Subject: 2 inch wellpoint need drop pipe?

Author:
Joseph
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:35:58 01/16/12 Mon
(NoHost/50.42.48.27)

As I posted below, I am about 18"-2ft from the bottom of my shallow well (25 feet deep) with my existing 1 1/4 drop pipe and foot valve and shallow pump. The pump can cycle about 2X without losing prime if my mother is careful with not using the washing machine or flushing toilets simulataneously, but with just a drop pipe and foot valve, silt is a big problem and I need to do something ASAP.

I have ordered a 2" wellpoint from Northern Tool. Was thinking about driving the wellpoint 3-5 feet deeper into the bottom of the well, and then trying to lower the drop pipe another 2 feet (at what normally would be the bottom of the well). I'm theorizing that the sandscreen would keep out most of the silt, and that going 2 feet lower with the drop pipe would enable more usage and hopefully save the well since this is as low as it usually goes with seasonal fluctuations?

***I'm also confused about the sites that recommend a drop pipe if the water is for potable use? Does the drop pipe inside a well point have to have a foot valve on it, or would a check valve at the top suffice? The reason I ask is because 1 1/4" pipe with the couplings necessary to attach the foot valve, will not fit in a 2" pipe, and if using a foot valve I would have to drop to 1" pipe and a 1" foot valve - which would then seem to reduce flow?

So I guess I need to figure out if I need to use a foot valve with the drop pipe? I'm a little confused?

**Beyond that, I'm thinking my only other option with this well would be to drive the 2" wellpoint down about 15 feet into the bottom of the well and try and a 2" deep well jet packer assembly?

I'm trying to help my mom out with this as she is having tough financial times and the existing setup is on the ragged edge, so was hoping to try and breathe just enough new life into the existing well, as it would be tough to find the time right now living and working 2 hours away to try and drive a new one from scratch.

Thanks for the clrification or advice re: the drop pipe if needed, and/or the need for a footvalve in a 2" wellpoint?

Replies:
Archives: 1234 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Return to Water Well Helpline
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.